Menu

risk - surfaces, bathrooms, playgrounds? UPDATE POST 17

ktgrok

My county has about an 8%, maybe 7%, positivity rate. Kids started back to virtual school today in my county, they start face to face (in theory) on the 21st. 

My 10 yr old is getting stir crazy and it is effecting her attitude. She's not left the house since early March. 

It's hot as heck, but we are a little over an hour from a beach. We'd need to use public restrooms though. I'm thinking maybe during the week they would be fairly empty...can't remember what the ventilation is like. 

Other options are playgrounds with a nature trail. Again, outdoor bathrooms. No real way to do nature trail without playground due to 3 yr old who will understandably expect to play on the playground that is in full view. 

Some higher risk family members. (DH has hypertension not well controlled, DS has autoimmune issues)

Sun kills the virus, but there will be parts of the playground not in the sun, I'm sure. How long am I worried about it being on metal/plastic outdoors, temps in the upper 80s to lower 90s, high humidity?

Found this: https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/sars-calculator

At our temps and 60 % humidity half life is 3-4 hours, but for 99% to die is closer to two days. Of course, then there is "how much was on the surface", etc. Also, it rained last night. 

Edited by Ktgrok

I have stomach issues, so Covid or not I often have to use public restrooms when out.  Right now most places are doing more cleaning than normal, so restrooms are pretty clean. Most places with multiple stalls are leaving the doors propped open, so you can wash your hands and not touch anything as you leave.  If you are wearing a mask also, I feel like the risk is very low.

5 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I have stomach issues, so Covid or not I often have to use public restrooms when out.  Right now most places are doing more cleaning than normal, so restrooms are pretty clean. Most places with multiple stalls are leaving the doors propped open, so you can wash your hands and not touch anything as you leave.  If you are wearing a mask also, I feel like the risk is very low.

yeah, this would be bathrooms that are not used a ton. Not cleaned often either, but I can deal with that - we are going to wash hands after all, and I can bring sanitizer. 

We can definitely mask in the bathrooms. 

Just now, Ktgrok said:

yeah, this would be bathrooms that are not used a ton. Not cleaned often either, but I can deal with that - we are going to wash hands after all, and I can bring sanitizer. 

We can definitely mask in the bathrooms. 

The upside to beach bathrooms is I don't think they're very surface friendly for viruses. Between the sand and salt water, I think decay is probably rapid. We use N95s in bathrooms and get in and out ASAP. At the beach we pee in the water, so it's really just number 2 that would send us to the bathroom. 

• Like 2

I think it will be fine.  I have had to use public restrooms ever since I started going out again in mid April - medical appointments at first.  I have to use restrooms very frequently but of course am wearing good mask protection usually-- less good sometimes.  

I really think the closing of all playgrounds is overblown.  The virus just doesn't remain on surfaces and transfer to a person so easily.  

That it doesn't transfer from surfaces to people easily has been lost on the school districts in surrounding areas near me-- one district keeps having more and more positives and they keep shutting down for a day and deep cleaning--- no- the air is bad and the asymptomatic people are spreading.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t worry about the playground at all if no one else is using it.  The bathrooms would make me nervous, but for the benefits to mental health I would be willing to mask and use them as fast as possible.  If you’re at the beach I would make everyone pee in the water 😬 and only use the bathroom if they have to poop.  

I'd be okay with not crowded beach and public restrooms occasionally if you mask and wash hands. You'd have to touch exactly the wrong spot at the wrong time and then get it into your body before washing hands, and that seems like a fairly low transmission risk. 

I'm not comfortable with playgrounds yet partly because people in my area don't seem to be taking this seriously. I won't shop at stores in my county if I can avoid it either but will shop the same chain stores in other counties because their rates are different for the number of people they have. When we do WM pickup, we see more people going into WM without masks (and more families in general, rather than one or two people) in certain counties than in others. It seems to break down on political lines here, as certain counties hate the governor. 

We are distancing very strictly and avoid indoor spaces as much as humanly possible, but I'm just not that worried about surfaces.  We go to parks and the beach, and we use the bathrooms.  I urge everyone to get in and out, and when the kids use outdoor exercise equipment they need to sanitize their hands afterwards.  

However, my kids will NOT pee in the ocean for love or money.  They think I'm disgusting for even suggesting it, sigh.

My personal view is I’m not very worried about surfaces and more worried about air. It’s not the surfaces in a public bathroom that bother me, it’s the flushing without a lid with everything being spewed into the air. I don’t know of any research showing you can catch it from breathing sewage air, but I’m suspicious enough not to want to test the theory unless I have no other choice.

• Like 1

A playground would have to be jam-packed for me to worry about it. I'm not worried about the surfaces themselves. 

I don't have a link handy, but I've seen several experts point out that a small amount of virus being detectable on a surface is not the same as it being likely to transfer (that's probably not the right word). In other words, the surface is likely 'safe' well before 99% of virus dies. 

• Like 1

Fairly low risk afaik. 

The weakest  link seems the bathroom. 

I’d bring extra masks to have fresh one for each bathroom trip.  (And or a personal travel potty and tenting for it. )

My own soap and water. And if play equipment seems troublesome wash hands often while playing. And or wear some face cover to reduce dirty hands going to mucus membranes. 

And I’d sun the person(s) briefly after bathroom trips. Sun or wash shoes and shoe bottoms, etc. 

Then do thorough changes and shower when getting home and before interacting with vulnerable family members. 

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

We are distancing very strictly and avoid indoor spaces as much as humanly possible, but I'm just not that worried about surfaces.  We go to parks and the beach, and we use the bathrooms.  I urge everyone to get in and out, and when the kids use outdoor exercise equipment they need to sanitize their hands afterwards.  

However, my kids will NOT pee in the ocean for love or money.  They think I'm disgusting for even suggesting it, sigh.

Ok, though it was just my kids! I think I over potty trained them or something!

• Like 1

We are still avoiding playgrounds.  I am not really worried about the surfaces, but it is too disappointing to the kids if we go and it is packed with people so I won't let them play.

Instead we have been going rustic - parks with no playgrounds or bathrooms.  We hike, bird watch, make nature art, do scavenger hunts, take picnics, etc.  Around here leaving painted "friendship rocks" tucked along the sides of trails is a big thing, so we often paint rocks to take with us to leave.

• Like 1

So, we went out!!!!

First time my kids have been off the property in 6 months!

We went to a small park with a boardwalk/nature trail. I just talked to the 3 yr old before hand and explained we would not be doing the playground, just the nature walk. She loves "hikes" so she was fine with it. (did a 3 mile hike carrying her own pack last year at age 2!) 

I figured if we got there and the playground was empty, I could change my mind and allow it, but I'm glad I prepped her that were were not going to use it, as it was swarmed with preschool age kids. You know, the toddler sized that snot on everything and have ZERO concept of personal space? So although surfaces were not too concerning it was very likely if we used it that some 2 yr old with a runny nose would put their face inches from the face of one of my kids. 

But, we had a great time on the board walk! It was hot, but overcast (currently storming) so not terrible. And we were in the shade mostly. The constant rain had several paths closed off for flooding, but the main boardwalk was open so we did that. 

And we did use the bathroom, but it was empty, and the top is open to the outside for ventilation purposes, and we all masked, so that seemed okay. You can see in the photo how the walls don't go all the way up to the ceiling, so air can circulate from the outside. Most park bathrooms are like this around here,  thankfully. We were quick, and the sinks and soap dispensers were touchless, and the door is kept propped open so no touching it on the way out. Then we came home and washed hands again. Photo of the kids, and of the bathroom to show the ventilation, because somehow it seemed important to get a photo of that, lol. 

7li3xE30Q6y0Qq8T981C4g.jpg

gYSQRuxSQpOqbY39tFYd7Q.jpg

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 20

38 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

I’m glad they got out! That’s great news that it was fun and not too crowded except the playground equipment.

Yup! 

My 3 yr old had forgotten what a paper towel dispenser was, lol. It had been that long since they've been out! She pointed in the bathroom and couldn't figure out what it was. 

And yeah, we saw a few people on the boardwalk, but passed with a few feet between us (probably 3 feet) and quickly, so literally within that range for a handful of seconds. Short of them sneezing or coughing directly on us as we passed, it was safe. 

Now talking with my friend that we are going to quaranteam with to see where to meet up. 

I'd planned to have them over to my house to swim - then realized the noise with my DH working from home is not going to work. He's off on Mondays, so we can do that in the future, but want to do a family trip to the beach this monday, as a "not back to school" event. 

• Like 3