Menu

Nausea and Covid

Jaybee

I know this has been mentioned in some of the longer threads, but finding what I'm looking for might take more effort than I want to expend right now. It looks very much like the virus is about to explode in my workplace. I have felt mildly nauseous the past couple of afternoons, but then it went away . This afternoon, I have a headache (not unusual) and the nausea is getting worse as the afternoon goes on. No vomiting or diarrhea so far. My supervisor just found out he was exposed on Sunday, and went for a test and will quarantine until results are in (only a little tiredness). I will wait to see what his test results are, probably, before I get tested, in part because of the timing window. Somewhere earlier on, I remember reading that gastro results usually meant more severe cases. Then just now when doing a search, it said it usually meant milder. I know this virus is unpredictable, but what do you all know about this?

• Sad 4

I don't know much, but if you have a likely exposure, and nausea/headache, I would assume those are COVID symptoms.  As far as getting tested, I guess it depends on who you ask. I think the testing is more accurate about three to five days in from first symptoms.  So you might be in the right window to get tested right now, and waiting for his test results might be unfavorable.

• Like 3

We are dealing with this right now too.

Dh went shopping Friday and Saturday, fully masked. Five days later, today, half of my household is symptomatic with GI stuff.  I temperature check all meat in the household, wash all vegetables, cook all of our food, etc. so the likelihood of food poisoning is pretty low.

GI issues hit at about 1/3 of the cases, and diarrhea typically lasts 5 days.  There is a correlation to liver enzymes being really off. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid19-digestive-symptoms#1

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/04/stomach-complaints-common-in-covid-19-patients.html

• Sad 3

I had nausea with my COVID experience...

It came in waves-- mornings were better.  I had a bad headache-- top of head--too.  My fever was mainly in evening/night (got to 102F a few days).  I had almost zero respiratory symptoms.  The fatigue, aches and chills were the worst part (besides nausea/tummy ache).

I've heard gastro was the less severe type...

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We are dealing with this right now too.

Dh went shopping Friday and Saturday, fully masked. Five days later, today, half of my household is symptomatic with GI stuff.  I temperature check all meat in the household, wash all vegetables, cook all of our food, etc. so the likelihood of food poisoning is pretty low.

GI issues hit at about 1/3 of the cases, and diarrhea typically lasts 5 days.  There is a correlation to liver enzymes being really off. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid19-digestive-symptoms#1

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/04/stomach-complaints-common-in-covid-19-patients.html

Have you eaten any onions? There was a big recall recently.

Praying for both Jaybee and your family — I hope none of you have Covid!!!

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/progressive-produce-voluntarily-recalls-red-and-yellow-onions-because-possible-health-risk

Onions: risk is salmonella. Symptoms can be severe, but include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.

Potatoes, limes, valencia oranges, lemons recall:  https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/freshouse-ii-llc-voluntarily-recalls-select-mesh-bags-and-bulk-shipments-potatoes-limes-valencia#recall-photos

Risk is listeria. 

Edited by cintinative
forgot the oranges!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I checked my onions.  They are from a small regional provider not involved in the recall. 🙂   Other produce is also safe.

Dh was wearing a N95, so it's less likely that it's covid, but ds is also has started coughing in the last hour. He has cough-variant asthma, but it's enough that the sick members of the family have been segregated until we know more, and windows are open (which may be triggering the asthma) with HEPA filters running (hoping to resolve the allergen issue). I'm on immunosuppressants, so we're being cautious.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Thanks! Off to the refrigerator to check the potatoes and the lemons...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I don't know much, but if you have a likely exposure, and nausea/headache, I would assume those are COVID symptoms.  As far as getting tested, I guess it depends on who you ask. I think the testing is more accurate about three to five days in from first symptoms.  So you might be in the right window to get tested right now, and waiting for his test results might be unfavorable.

He should know by tomorrow or Friday, so I would still be in the window. If my symptoms get worse, I'll go ahead and test whether he has results back in or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Have you eaten any onions? There was a big recall recently.

Praying for both Jaybee and your family — I hope none of you have Covid!!!

Thank you, Catwoman! (good to see you here again) I checked our onions when the recall came out, and they are from a different area/farm.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Plum said:

Gastro problems are cluster 3 in the Zoe symptom study. I would get that app and sign up. I report for dh and myself. You don’t have to be positive to join. I like it because it’s become a daily ritual to see how dh is doing. It also gives us a moment to think about his symptoms and see how it’s changed. The only thing I wish it did was give us a list that tracks his symptoms over time. We discuss and then I write it all down separately.

So you have a headache and nausea but no diarrhea?

Do you have stomach or abdominal pains? Muscle aches? Back pain? Lightheaded? Dizziness? Mild or severe fatigue? Trouble regulating your temp? Eye-strain? 

I haven't heard about clusters or the Zoe study.  Is it just to help you remember what is going on with you?  what are the clusters?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Plum said:

Gastro problems are cluster 3 in the Zoe symptom study. I would get that app and sign up. I report for dh and myself. You don’t have to be positive to join. I like it because it’s become a daily ritual to see how dh is doing. It also gives us a moment to think about his symptoms and see how it’s changed. The only thing I wish it did was give us a list that tracks his symptoms over time. We discuss and then I write it all down separately.

So you have a headache and nausea but no diarrhea?

Do you have stomach or abdominal pains? Muscle aches? Back pain? Lightheaded? Dizziness? Mild or severe fatigue? Trouble regulating your temp? Eye-strain? 

Yes. Headache, nausea, mild fatigue (but I'm under some unrelated stress that has caused some sleep disturbances). That's it. The nausea feels like morning sickness type (I'm way past that possibility) with no diarrhea or vomiting (so far). It waxes and wanes, and so far has been in the afternoons. The only other cause I can think of might be a sensitivity to the stevia I'm putting in my tea.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

My extended family member had the GI symptoms with a severe case. But the nausea and diarrhea hit hard and fast, same time as the 102F fever (that lasted almost 2 weeks!). It was not a few days of mild nausea first. The respiratory symptoms crept up each day until a hospitalization on day 10. Recovered now but it was quite serious. 

I hope your case (if it is CV) stays mild!

I'm glad they have recovered. That sounds awful. And thank you for the well wishes.

Purely anecdotal, but I took the kids shoe shopping this weekend.  All masked.  However, it was one of our longest times out.  Couldn’t wait to leave.  I was so nauseous and my head hurt and came home and slept.  For me, I think it was being that long with the mask on. We usually don’t go out much. But if youve been working all this time masked, then likely that’s not the issue. Take some zinc and quercetin and all that stuff.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, matrips said:

Purely anecdotal, but I took the kids shoe shopping this weekend.  All masked.  However, it was one of our longest times out.  Couldn’t wait to leave.  I was so nauseous and my head hurt and came home and slept.  For me, I think it was being that long with the mask on. We usually don’t go out much. But if youve been working all this time masked, then likely that’s not the issue. Take some zinc and quercetin and all that stuff.  Hope you feel better soon!

I'm not around many people in my job, so I don't normally mask at work. My office is rather isolated. But when one person is around one other person who is around another person--well, it can still spread.😕

ETA: And sadly, this is an area where people think hoax or similar, so even with people starting to get sick, "we aren't going to get sick, and we aren't going to die," and "you shouldn't be tested unless you have symptoms," etc. 😞 The reactions and comments of some today have me still fuming. 

Edited by Jaybee
  • Sad 2

I hope you don't have it!

I know someone locally (healthy guy in his 30s) who had Covid with gastro symptoms and he was quite severely ill. He was at the ER four times over the course of a couple weeks, and said he was barely able to eat or drink anything for ten days. 

• Sad 3

On 8/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, Jaybee said:

I know this has been mentioned in some of the longer threads, but finding what I'm looking for might take more effort than I want to expend right now. It looks very much like the virus is about to explode in my workplace. I have felt mildly nauseous the past couple of afternoons, but then it went away . This afternoon, I have a headache (not unusual) and the nausea is getting worse as the afternoon goes on. No vomiting or diarrhea so far. My supervisor just found out he was exposed on Sunday, and went for a test and will quarantine until results are in (only a little tiredness). I will wait to see what his test results are, probably, before I get tested, in part because of the timing window. Somewhere earlier on, I remember reading that gastro results usually meant more severe cases. Then just now when doing a search, it said it usually meant milder. I know this virus is unpredictable, but what do you all know about this?

Cases that are only GI are usually more mild. Cases that are both GI and respiratory are more severe, from what I read. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Ugh. How stressful 😞 . 

Thankfully, results seem to be coming in pretty quickly right now--a little over a day, so I'm glad about that. I don't know how it will be over the weekend though, so I may have to wait until Monday.  

• Like 1

Going to bed in a few minutes with your sweet wishes on my mind. Thank you all for your kind words. 

If I do have it, so far symptoms are really weird for me. They are primarily just the bad headache and the nausea, but they come and go throughout the day. Sometimes I feel pretty good, sometimes not. It's not consistent at all. And I may have something else.??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plum said:

If it makes you feel any better 2/4 of dh's coworkers tested positive. One that tested negative had stomach problems that were most likely from worry. His stomach settled once he got his results back. You never know! 🤞

I could see that, but this doesn't feel like that kind of stomach issue. It really is a lot like morning sickness for me; sometimes it is helped by eating something, sometimes nothing sounds good. Yesterday morning and afternoon it was pronounced, yesterday evening it was almost non-existent. And to be honest, I am not really worried about it being positive--slightly worried, but not seriously at this point. Most people around here are having mild cases. I am actually more upset by the attitudes. I could be wrong and be working with some underlying psycho-somatic stuff, but it doesn't feel like anxiety.

Test was negative. I got the results this morning. Symptoms are milder as of yesterday, but still there. Spread is happening among other employees, so I am wearing my mask whenever it is possible I might come in contact with anyone, because I don't want to spread it unwittingly. Some of the conspiracy theorists are going stronger than ever (gov't agencies are using this to exercise power grabs at a vulnerable time; I won't be tested even if I have symptoms and won't tell anyone if I have symptoms, etc.) Grrrr. Can't you just care about other people? 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Test was negative. I got the results this morning. Symptoms are milder as of yesterday, but still there. Spread is happening among other employees, so I am wearing my mask whenever it is possible I might come in contact with anyone, because I don't want to spread it unwittingly. Some of the conspiracy theorists are going stronger than ever (gov't agencies are using this to exercise power grabs at a vulnerable time; I won't be tested even if I have symptoms and won't tell anyone if I have symptoms, etc.) Grrrr. Can't you just care about other people? 

I'm glad for the negative test! Are you taking zinc by any chance? Whenever I try zinc, it makes me nauseous like morning sickness. Last year at the beginning of the school year, I was fighting off a bunch of random cold bugs and would try zinc and then deal with annoying low grade nausea the rest of the day. 

Just now, AmandaVT said:

I'm glad for the negative test! Are you taking zinc by any chance? Whenever I try zinc, it makes me nauseous like morning sickness. Last year at the beginning of the school year, I was fighting off a bunch of random cold bugs and would try zinc and then deal with annoying low grade nausea the rest of the day. 

One must take zinc with food.  I will always get nauseous if I take zinc on an empty stomach, but it's fine if I take it with food.

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

One must take zinc with food.  I will always get nauseous if I take zinc on an empty stomach, but it's fine if I take it with food.

Even if I eat food with it, it still makes me nauseous unfortunately. Which is a bummer because I know quite a few people who swear by it during cold/flu/pandemic season!