Menu

Would an air purifier help prevent illness?

Janeway

I am trying to decide if I should buy an air purifier or HEPA filter for my son's dorm room. Or if it would even make any difference? Not like they are cheap. But if they do make a difference, I would like to reduce his chances of getting sick at college.

I don't know.  But I will say my college age son had one in his dorm room last year.   He did have a roommate.  And he NEVER even got a cold.  He is pretty fastidious  in other ways - handwashing, showers daily no matter what, likes his 8+ hours of sleep.  But there was ALL sorts of crud circulating in that dorm last year and he avoided all of it.  

I would guess it can't hurt.  Some people with allergies swear by them.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I don't know, but I did just buy one for my husband's classroom (he's teaching online to start the year, but has to go into his empty classroom to teach). Still thinking about whether to get one for my son's dorm room...but he'll have his own room, and there's no AC in the building, so it seems like it might not be necessary. 

2 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I don't know, but I did just buy one for my husband's classroom (he's teaching online to start the year, but has to go into his empty classroom to teach). Still thinking about whether to get one for my son's dorm room...but he'll have his own room, and there's no AC in the building, so it seems like it might not be necessary. 

Keep in mind that furnaces/heaters also typically have shared HVAC. If there's not a filter for the vent going into the dorm room, that air is co-mingled germs circulating about.

I'm pro-HEPA filters.  We run them in the home for allergy reasons, but if anyone falls ill in our house, we definitely keep them by the HEPA filter so that their germs don't spread in the house.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Keep in mind that furnaces/heaters also typically have shared HVAC. If there's not a filter for the vent going into the dorm room, that air is co-mingled germs circulating about.

ahh--good point.

9 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Before you buy it- would your DS remember to do the filter maintenance? Or would he be the one to only notice that it needed vacuuming when you point it out after bringing it home after freshman year.

The one we bought had filters that lasted for 6 months.  We had him swap it out at semester break.  

• Like 2

We bought one last year when we got a dog because of my allergies.  The light is supposed to turn red whenever the filter needs replacing (which is supposed to be about six months).  It had not turned red, but DH recently went to change the filter anyway.  He opened up the unit and found the original filter was like new--it was wrapped in plastic!!!  We never dreamed we needed to open up the unit and unwrap the filter before we started using it (and the instructions did not say to do so.)  

• Haha 5

I am wondering.... if the air filter helps you maintain better health - less allergies, less colds - wouldn't that be enough of a reason to get one? I mean, it would help your immune system overall. I don't know if the air filter can filter out covid19, but overall better health sounds better. 

Who has one they love? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Who has one they love? 

We have two of these Honeywell HPA100, one for bedroom and one for living room. It has help DS15 and me who suffer from outdoor allergies. We don’t run our central heating/cooling system  but we do keep windows and patio door open. We do buy the replacement filters in bulk from Amazon since we replace them quite often.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HPA100-True-Allergen-Remover/dp/B00BWYO2FW/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bootsie said:

We bought one last year when we got a dog because of my allergies.  The light is supposed to turn red whenever the filter needs replacing (which is supposed to be about six months).  It had not turned red, but DH recently went to change the filter anyway.  He opened up the unit and found the original filter was like new--it was wrapped in plastic!!!  We never dreamed we needed to open up the unit and unwrap the filter before we started using it (and the instructions did not say to do so.)  

We got one last spring and never opened it either!  I'll check in the morning, but that sounds like something we would do.

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

We have two of these Honeywell HPA100, one for bedroom and one for living room. It has help DS15 and me who suffer from outdoor allergies. We don’t run our central heating/cooling system  but we do keep windows and patio door open. We do buy the replacement filters in bulk from Amazon since we replace them quite often.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HPA100-True-Allergen-Remover/dp/B00BWYO2FW/

we have this same Honeywell as well as some of the Honeywell HPA 200s (larger models).

LOVE. THEM. I've had severe allergy issues forever. These have changed my life. 

I am absolutely sending a new one with DD for her dorm room. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/4/2020 at 6:53 AM, Bootsie said:

If it makes you feel better I did the same thing! I had some friends kids staying sleeping in our old caravan. We had had mould there and although I cleaned thoroughly I was trying to be extra safe as one of the kids is asthmatic. It was only later that my DD pointed out that Id never pulled the plastic off 😂