Menu

What is your 14-year old doing this summer?

Teaching3bears

What can a 13- 14- year old do during a time of social distancing? Are there any great online classes or online activities for that age? Anything that he would have to commit to with a lot of interaction online?

How can I get him away from the video games and silly youtube videos for the next month?

Well, my 14 yr old is playing a lot of video games and watching silly YouTube videos, lol. 

One thing she does that keeps her socially fulfilled: our church has moved a lot of youth programming to Zoom, so she's doing church group 3x a week. And our library has shifted to online hangouts, so that's 1x a week. Not super involved, but it helps to have regularly scheduled social events. 

• Like 2

My kiddo is also doing a lot of youtube and video games, or she chats with her friends and/or girlfriend while watching TV. Or she does art, but that's not the pandemic, that's just her.

We're not stopping her. We were genuinely concerned that it was going to be a whole thing in fall when the schools reopen if we made her do distance learning from her school and all her friends were going to physically be in the building, but first of all it sounds like her friends' parents have mostly made the decision to keep their kids home too and secondly, over the past few months she's come to the conclusion that her social life won't implode if she stays home and that bringing home covid19 to a home where one person is a senior cancer survivor who uses oxygen at night is just not a good risk.

Like, we were seriously brainstorming if we could ask a family friend or one of her friends to house her for the duration, but there were a lot of logistical problems there.

So, if goofing off online, with or without her friends, is keeping her happy and healthy at home then I'm not rocking that boat. It's summer. She's more disciplined and organized than the rest of us combined. I'm not going to worry about it.

• Like 1

Mine has read a lot and done a good bit of conditioning for sports.  Online he's been into chess and is finishing up a coding class that will be one of his high school electives.  We usually take summer off from school but he chose to go ahead and do the coding and also take care of the personal finance requirement since it was an easy class that we covered mostly through reading some books and talking about them.   We had planned for 8 credits this year, so doing 1/2 of personal finance, 1/2 of coding, and being over 1/2 done with a PE 1/2 credit by recording conditioning work kiddo is happy to be checking off some boxes of requirements while mostly still having a break from academics.  He's also done some of the garden work for us - he's picked the berries and the peas and shelled the peas, which has been a nice break for me!  

• Like 1

I'm guessing you don't want to hear that my daughter is doing Corona Nannying for families who are very careful in their physical distancing like us. She has one family in the morning and one in the afternoon. She wears a mask and the kids do too. Then when she comes home she works out in our home gym and calls her friends. Once or twice a week she will go to a distanced visit with a friend.

• Like 2

My 14 year old is doing chores in the morning and spends most of the afternoon, play games, watching youtube, or working on little projects in the garage.  But he also has done a number of (socially distanced) service projects and attends a weekly online troop meeting.

Edited by Loowit
  • Like 1

My 15 yr old did two Online classes at Athena's and one college class, is working on creating her new class to teach starting next month, and has been working on her Pokemon Fan game in RPGMaker. She is also doing a virtual UCA Mascot camp, since she is trying to move into being a mascot in college, now that her knees have decided that cheer isn't a good choice for her. She has done a few Outschool classes and stuff like that, too.

• Like 2

Mine is turning 15 tomorrow. She's struggling with some pretty severe depression (she was before corona), but here's what she's doing this summer. 

• Lots of rollerblading and skateboarding
  • Lots of TV and computer
  • Watching Marvel movies with Dad
  • Playing in sprinkler with sisters (our city pool is closed, and she hates the neighborhood pool)
  • Crafts: puzzles, diamond dots, friendship bracelets, slime, she's getting tye-die for her birthday tomorrow
  • Church youth group online
  • Like 1

One of mine is doing horse riding and the other running.  They have done some swimming and bike riding.  We are also doing taekwondo, and they are keeping up their musical instrument practice.

Both are doing cooking.  They have also helped with some outdoor home projects and a little work in our business.

My youngest does various engineering projects. - boxed or self-designed.  She's also doing some craft projects she found while cleaning her room.

My eldest asked me to buy her a punching bag, so I did.  I also ordered some outdoor air mats for tumbling practice.

Both of my kids still spend a lot of time on screens.  But a lot of it is foreign language stuff, where they have to read subtitles.  So that counts as reading, right??

I am still considering whether / how much academic practice to add into the mix.  Earlier in the summer, they did an online camp (which didn't go super well) and finished up their Confirmation requirements via online classes.

Starting this week, my eldest has been doing high school sports practice (soccer and cross country).  Marching band camp will start for both on August 3.

Things my kids (13 and 15 yo) have done this summer:

Swimming, hiking, fishing, kayaking/canoeing, frisbee golf, horseback riding, practice piano, cook/bake, write letters, wash cars for neighbors, scout badges, read, draw, watch movies or tv series, socially distanced picnics and Bible studies, pick up trash to serve the community, help elderly neighbors with yard work, chat online with friends, walk the dog, backyard camping, summer reading/writing assignments, call grandparents often.

So, we are trying to set up a schedule for next week and we are at a loss for the mornings when his brothers are sleeping and he has to keep the house quiet.  He does not want to read in the morning.  He will go for a 10-minute bike ride but that takes only 10 minutes.  He would go running but it's too hot.  There is nowhere else he will go on his own.