Menu

Dumb ? about longer length hair

sbgrace

I want to preface this with--I am a mom of boys and I have never been very style conscious. I'm completely out of the loop in women's hair/most anything beauty. So I'm sure this is a dumb question. 

My hair is way longer than it usually is when I get it cut. It's mid-back. I'm likely not going to go in for quite a long time because of the virus. 

It's really bugging me--it is just constantly getting in my face and generally in the way of anything I'm doing. 

I put it in a high pony tail for exercise, but I don't feel comfortable wearing it in ponytail outside of exercise because my hair is prone to breakage, and I don't want to damage it. 

Is there something I can do to keep my hair out of the way--something that won't damage it if I do it nearly every day? 

Edited by sbgrace

I don't know what kind of ponytail you're using, but I put mine in a ponytail every day and have no problems with breakage. I shed like a dog, but they're all long hairs LOL! This is the kind I use

DD likes a bun, but I hate those. Anything other than a low ponytail at the base of my neck gives me a headache after a couple hours because my hair is so heavy.

1592591631478211390016.jpg

I cut mine myself and have done so since long before the virus. When my hair gets long enough to be in my way, I cut it by putting it in a ponytail and cutting several inches off by just holding the pony tail and cutting straight through the ponytail. Look up "DIY  ponytail haircut" on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

hair bands - the wide ones.

octopus clips -  the BIG ones

french twist combs

french braid (I have to do it when my hair is wet, or it falls out.)

hair sticks - dd would use pencils.  gather it like you're making a pony tail, wrap it around, and weave a couple sticks through it.  good hair sticks are very smooth.

OP, I also have hair that's prone to breakage.  (I brushed a friend's dd's hair once and was amazed at how thick each individual strand was!  I had no idea that was even possible, as all of us have very fine hair.)

More votes for braids, stretchy (and not too tight) fabric headbands, and hair sticks.  Anything that grabs hair tightly can break fine hair.  

I cut my own hair using some methods on youtube where you brush it into a ponytail, then put another ponytail holder at the point you want to cut.  I have very thick, wavy hair though so it hides small mistakes.

Otherwise I do low ponytails or wide headbands and don't see much breakage.

My hair is long and fine.  

This is the only pony tail holder, I've found, doesn't cause breakage.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYMD35V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've tried a dozen  of "less than one inch width" headbands and all but one slides off within the hour.  Unfortunately, I don't have a link for it.  

I wear yoga headbands when I'm picking up the house, dealing with our puppies, or going shopping.  https://www.amazon.com/PLOVZ-Womens-Running-Headbands-Workout/dp/B07TTS1RP1/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=headbands&qid=1592599793&s=beauty&sr=1-4.

• Thanks 1

Last summer I kept my hair very long and wore a braid crown most days. It looks very fancy, but with really long hair is super-easy. Two braids on the side, wrap one braid up and around head, bobby pin in place. Repeat with other braid.

I liked it because it helped distribute the weight (#longhairproblems) and was very secure (wore it swimming and also all day at Universal Studios, on rollercoasters and such).

A few tips to help:

- My hair would stick in its braids and behave better if it was a little bit damp when I put it up, so I kept a spray bottle with water in the bathroom to help.

- GOOD bobby pins are a must; I like these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=metagrip+bobby+pins&i=beauty&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

- If you're going to be outside, either do your braids so you don't have a part in the middle, or be sure to put sunscreen on your part; ask me how I know ...

• Like 1

Braids work but I don't like them because my hair is really fine so the braids look anemic. My hair is waist length so a spindly braid that long looks weird, and coiling it into a bun fools no one, lol

I swear by the Pony-O hair ties, they don't fall out or get loose during the day and they don't pull out hair. Hella expensive to me but I only need one and am careful where I put it.

Also, I use one of those clips with a bunch of teeth, I think an alligator clip?, where I make just a pile of hair and then clamp it up on top of my head. 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JIN MOUSA said:

- GOOD bobby pins are a must; I like these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=metagrip+bobby+pins&i=beauty&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

What makes a good Bobby pin?  They always seem to skip out and never hold a thing in fine hair. 

I’ve  learned I was using them upside down, but even with reorienting them, they still seem to slide out. 

Teach me, please. 

2 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

What makes a good Bobby pin?  They always seem to skip out and never hold a thing in fine hair. 

I’ve  learned I was using them upside down, but even with reorienting them, they still seem to slide out. 

Teach me, please. 

The MetaGrip ones are really stiff, so they don't slide out as easily (I also have fine hair). Like I have to hold it open with my fingers to get in place and then pull it open again to get it out without pulling hair. 

Also, bobby pins like to have friends, so two crossed over each other from different directions are more secure than single ones.

• Thanks 1

My hair is longer than usual right now and I also am in no hurry to go to a salon. I do put it in a pony tail whenever I need it out of the way completely, like for exercising and for cleaning or gardening. But for regular daily wear that looks good, I’m liking the buff-style headband. I also decided to grow out my bangs early this year, so the headband keeps the long bangs out of my face. Oh, also, I love the pony tail holders that are like a little plastic slinky. Called like Invisi-Bobble. It won’t put a “bump” in my hair. 

Buff headband, like in this pic: 

CA576B30-9F90-4C38-A9A3-E59DE5011C0F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

My hair is longer than usual right now and I also am in no hurry to go to a salon. I do put it in a pony tail whenever I need it out of the way completely, like for exercising and for cleaning or gardening. But for regular daily wear that looks good, I’m liking the buff-style headband. I also decided to grow out my bangs early this year, so the headband keeps the long bangs out of my face. Oh, also, I love the pony tail holders that are like a little plastic slinky. Called like Invisi-Bobble. It won’t put a “bump” in my hair. 

Buff headband, like in this pic: 

CA576B30-9F90-4C38-A9A3-E59DE5011C0F.jpeg

These are the kind I'm wearing too.   And for the same reason - I'm growing out my bangs.  Probably for only the second time my entire life.

• Like 1

My hair doesn’t break from ponytail elastics, but it’s fine and not too heavy. I have mine up a lot. These are my preferred styles:

Ponytail (high or low)

French braid

low pigtails

bun with hair pins

messy bun with elastic

pineapple (top of the head pony for curly hair sleeping)

messy twist held with a claw

20’s style side bun (very occasionally)

2 low braids with bandana (for camping)

My head is shaped wrong for cloth headbands. I have a pin head and they slip up in the back. 😞

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Haha 1

I look absolutely idiotic in a hair band, which is quite annoying.

So I either--pull just the hair at the top of my head together and braid it down the back.  This gets the side hair out of my face but is not heavy like putting my hair up.

Or, pull that same hair together and tie it in a knot.  This doesn't hold for exercise but for everyday use it's not bad.

Or, put it all up in a messy updo in the back of my head with a clip from Lilla Rose.  I love those; they are in fun patterns and they are so smooth they never cause breakage.

For exercise, I usually either do the messy up do or if I want it to be SOLID I use a pair of Lilla Rose U Pins.  Those hold even if I'm running--much better than bobby pins.