Menu

san antonio

gardenmom5

Ok - dd suggested we go visit her bff when I'm down there.  Bff lives in houston - so four hours.  then she suggested a detour to San Antonio.  I love the idea of seeing more.

what are the don't miss?  dd has been there, and loves the Riverwalk.  So, I'm sure we'll get that and the Alamo - what else?

mid/end of August.   such lovely weather that time of year. . . .when I was there two years ago - it was the same week as the hurricane, and the temp dropped 10 degrees in Ft. Worth.  and it was overcast and rainy.  just like home.

Ugh.  I lived for five years in San Antonio.  You couldn't pay me to go to the Riverwalk in August in the middle of a pandemic.  August is not exactly San Antonio's best time of year.  Or Houston's.  

I suggest indoor places.  But it's a pandemic.  

• Like 2

What @Terabith said. It will be 1000 degrees outside. Houston will be 1000 degrees with high humidity.  

Not to be a pill, but are you sure you want to come here? The covid numbers for Texas are not great.  Houston is a mess and San Antonio is quickly becoming a mess. Unless people suddenly start behaving, both cities could be a complete disaster by August.  You are probably a lot safer where you are. Could your daughter's bff go to you for a visit?

• Like 4

Texas is August is brutal - not quite 1000 degrees with 99% humidity but close. Some one explained it this way - get one of those old wool Army blankets, wet it completely with boiling water, and then wrap it completely over/around you - that's Houston in August.  

If you can handle 99% humidity at 105 degrees (not adjusted for humidity), the River Walk (taking a boat ride, not walking) is fun. The Alamo is interesting (although not sure how much for non-Texans). There is a toilet seat museum in San Antonio in a former plumber's garage which is fun and the guy is great to talk to.  The Botanic Garden there is lovely too - not sure about August but it is nice in the spring. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you are basing your comment about the weather on Ft Worth in August when it was 10 degrees cooler than normal.....know that is NOT representative of Houston/San Antonio at all. At.All. Outside, in August, in either of those cities, is miserable. 

If you are being tongue in cheek, then, you know, just be prepared. It's HOT. The wool army blanket in boiling water is a pretty good illustration, actually. 

The first thing I would do is look at what's currently even open.....many things may still be closed (museums, etc.) (not sure on the Alamo). Then keep in mind that Houston and San Antonio both are spiking right now in Covid and have/are about to institute mandatory facemasks in public, and who knows by August. If people actually *comply* then maybe things will be calming down again, but.....we shall see. 

Anyway, what to see.....we went to a museum of oddities in San Antonio....I don't recall the name. In Houston, if anything associated with NASA is open, it's good to see. There is a FREE "Rocket Park" right outside of the NASA complex where you can park and get out and walk around and look at a few of the rockets (the Saturn V is there, and a few others) and just read the signs and stuff. Since that's outdoors, it's probably accessible. 

Botanical gardens in either city are nice. 

Bring layers. Outdoors you will want to be in as few clothes as humanly possible, but indoors the A/C in places will be set roughly to something between "comfortably cool" and "hope you don't freeze to death" so while it sounds ridiculous, bring a sweater/layer you can take on/off when you go between outside and inside. 

But definitely do keep an eye on the Covid situation, not just for the risk level, but also for the "will stuff even be open" issue. (and, helpful hint from someone currently traveling: call ahead, because you may drive 2 hours to a place listed as open, only to arrive and discover that the gift shop is open, but not the museum in question, which is a little bit of a let down.....). 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Not to be a pill, but are you sure you want to come here? The covid numbers for Texas are not great.  Houston is a mess and San Antonio is quickly becoming a mess. Unless people suddenly start behaving, both cities could be a complete disaster by August.  

We are supposed to move my freshman daughter into UT Dallas in August and I am a wreck watching what is happening in TX.  😞  (we live in OH)

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, brehon said:

Oh, man! I’m not sure you could pay me to be in Houston in August. And I’m a native Houstonian. San Antonio won’t be much better. How long will you be in each of these cities? 

only a day or two.  we'd be driving.

46 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

We actually have travel advisories right now to not go to Houston or San Antonio.  And August in Texas is not fun.

I"ve been to Texas in August.

25 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Texas is August is brutal - not quite 1000 degrees with 99% humidity but close. Some one explained it this way - get one of those old wool Army blankets, wet it completely with boiling water, and then wrap it completely over/around you - that's Houston in August.  

If you can handle 99% humidity at 105 degrees (not adjusted for humidity), the River Walk (taking a boat ride, not walking) is fun. The Alamo is interesting (although not sure how much for non-Texans). There is a toilet seat museum in San Antonio in a former plumber's garage which is fun and the guy is great to talk to.  The Botanic Garden there is lovely too - not sure about August but it is nice in the spring. 

I've been in 100% humidity and 100 degree weather.   And no - I wouldn't spend a lot of time outside.

We'll have an almost 2yo with us.  we'll only be there for a couple days, each place.   It really depends on her BFF if we even go.

Edited by gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

We are supposed to move my freshman daughter into UT Dallas in August and I am a wreck watching what is happening in TX.  😞  (we live in OH)

The Dallas County Commissioners court is meeting as I write this to vote on ordering businesses to require masks. I suspect they will do it, so things might improve a bit by August.

Wrt San Antonio, we love the Wild Oak Ranch resort out near Sea World.  The rooms are a bit pricey, but you can spend your time outdoors on its lazy river.  The landscaping is beautiful and there's lots of shade.  If you time it right, schools may(?) be back in session so it will be less crowded.  

Edited by DoraBora
grammar
  • Like 2

I haven’t been to San Antonio since college, but my favorite restaurant was La Fogada for Mexican food.  It was back in a neighborhood and wonderful.  It does appear to still be open, but I don’t know much more than that.  I really want to go back to Texas to eat my way through my favorite BBQ and Mexican restaurants.  There is nothing here in Michigan except a Mexican grocery store restaurant near my MIL that resembles authentic Mexican or BBQ cuisine.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

The Dallas County Commissioners court are meeting as I write this to vote on ordering businesses to require masks. I suspect they will do it, so things might improve a bit by August.

Wrt San Antonio, we love the Wild Oak Ranch resort out near Sea World.  The rooms are a bit pricey, but you can spend your time outdoors on its lazy river.  The landscaping is beautiful and there's lots of shade.  If you time it right, schools may(?) be back in session so it will be less crowded.  

wow - that's fabulous.  my grandson isn't old enough to appreciate it yet.  he won't even be two.

But with dudeling - I've always had to take into account what their pool facilities were like when booking.

even booked one with a water slide in oregon - except, you have to wear a helmet (seriously), and they only had extremely limited hours.  I'd booked it twice - coming and going on our way to yosemite.  I cancelled my booking for that one on our return trip and went somewhere else.

11 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I have nothing constructive to add but just want to say that y'all's description of August in Houston and SA sound exactly like Florida in August.😎

I’ve lived 21 years in Texas and 10 in Florida. Florida is worse! We still visit but never ever in the summer. 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

wow - that's fabulous.  my grandson isn't old enough to appreciate it yet.  he won't even be two.

But with dudeling - I've always had to take into account what their pool facilities were like when booking.

even booked one with a water slide in oregon - except, you have to wear a helmet (seriously), and they only had extremely limited hours.  I'd booked it twice - coming and going on our way to yosemite.  I cancelled my booking for that one on our return trip and went somewhere else.

The lazy river and zero-depth pools are great for littles, though I haven't checked to see what the resort is doing this year.  There are two slides, but no helmet is required.  (Prob too much for your dudeling, anyway.  🙂)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Who has issued travel advisories for Houston and SA?  Just curious...  

Officially, I believe it is Jim Wells County for sure.  Not positive about other counties and I am not going to internet surf to find out (very tired today)  I know at doctors in Nueces County, they are now asking if you have travelled to those locations in their screening questions.  I think Nueces may have already issued warnings about Houston.  Again, too tired to search right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, brehon said:

Oh, man! I’m not sure you could pay me to be in Houston in August. And I’m a native Houstonian. San Antonio won’t be much better. How long will you be in each of these cities? 

When I was in school in California, I applied for a job in Houston. An interviewer asked me why I would be interested in coming to Houston to work. I said, "Well you see I'm from Texas myself." He said, "Yes, that's why I wondered."

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, DoraBora said:

The rooms are a bit pricey, but you can spend your time outdoors on its lazy river. 

Can you? We can't get into our city pool without reservations a week in advance, tickets & ID, masks, temperature checks, and a 1-1/2 hour time limit. Swimming next Friday! Yeah!

35 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Can you? We can't get into our city pool without reservations a week in advance, tickets & ID, masks, temperature checks, and a 1-1/2 hour time limit. Swimming next Friday! Yeah!

I just checked their website.  Lazy river and pool are currently open, though it's anyone's guess what August (or next week) might bring.  I believe it's only open to property guests.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoraBora said:

The lazy river and zero-depth pools are great for littles, though I haven't checked to see what the resort is doing this year.  There are two slides, but no helmet is required.  (Prob too much for your dudeling, anyway.  🙂)

we're taking my <2yo grandson - dudeling won't be with us.  the helmet thing was something I'd never heard of before - but was an oregon state law (or so we were told by the hotel. - I was pretty irked because that was WHY I made reservations there, and they left all that information off their website so I only learned about it when I got there.)

but it would be fun.   sea world could be fun for baby.  dd sent me video of him spraying her legs with the hose, turning it off, then wiping down her legs saying "dry, dry".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

public pools and privately owned pools will be different.  the one she was talking about is for  hotel guests.   

there is a very cool public pool here - that long before the pandemic, required reservations (you could make them the day before, but you'd risk them being booked.), and a time limit.

dd has an only for the neighborhood pool that is open.  her next door neighbor also has a pool and they're welcome to use it whenever.  (they've talked about installing a gate between their backyards.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

public pools and privately owned pools will be different.  the one she was talking about is for  hotel guests.   

there is a very cool public pool here - that long before the pandemic, required reservations (you could make them the day before, but you'd risk them being booked.), and a time limit.

dd has an only for the neighborhood pool that is open.  her next door neighbor also has a pool and they're welcome to use it whenever.  (they've talked about installing a gate between their backyards.)

Nice! Our neighborhood pools aren't opening this year -- I think it's mostly because they couldn't train the teenage lifeguards during the lockdown -- so the crowds wanting to swim in the City pools are huge.

Last time I went running around the lake, the bridges were jammed with teens jumping (illegally and dangerously) into the river to get cool. The PD was busy elsewhere....

50 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Nice! Our neighborhood pools aren't opening this year -- I think it's mostly because they couldn't train the teenage lifeguards during the lockdown -- so the crowds wanting to swim in the City pools are huge.

Last time I went running around the lake, the bridges were jammed with teens jumping (illegally and dangerously) into the river to get cool. The PD was busy elsewhere....

it's my state where the kids were doing this, and one girl didn't want to jump - so another one pushed her.  she was badly injured.  the girl who pushed her got two DAYS in jail.

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

it's my state where the kids were doing this, and one girl didn't want to jump - so another one pushed her.  she was badly injured.  the girl who pushed her got two DAYS in jail.

That's terrible. 😞  There was a bad accident here a couple years ago when one of the teen bridge-jumpers landed on a kayaker. 

Anyway, OP, we don't recommend jumping off bridges on the Riverwalk!

50 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

That's terrible. 😞  There was a bad accident here a couple years ago when one of the teen bridge-jumpers landed on a kayaker. 

Anyway, OP, we don't recommend jumping off bridges on the Riverwalk!

no - I'm not a fan of diving.