Menu

I need your help. (cc)

Worry. It's consuming me right now to the point of making me ill. My stomach is in knots and I'm not getting anything done. I need advice from a Christian perspective. I feel this is spiritual because it's so irrational. It's not about one thing. It's everything and nothing all at the same time. I've read scripture and prayed a lot this morning. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Do you have any books or scripture to help calm anxiety? My life just feels like...chaos.

I don't have a scripture, but Casting Crowns, "I will praise you in the storm" comes to mind.

".......I will lift my hands, for You are who You are, no matter where I am."

"I will never leave you nor forsake you."

:crying: Thank you, Paula. I am normally a very faithful person. This has kinda come out of no where. I know it's Satan. My family is very vulnerable right now due to job changes with DH, visits with our kids' other parents, health worries. Knowing this strengthens me because Satan is no match for my God. But I am struggling today.

You poor thing. :grouphug:

Have you considered seeing your doctor? There are medications that can really help with this.

Ria

It actually crossed my mind today. I want to give it a few days. We have some things that might be resolved this week that will take a load off. It's frustrating. I want to just give it over to God. He wants it. I just can't let it go.

My pastor tells us (probably at least once each Sunday) that the most often repeated command in the Bible is "Do not be afraid." I never knew that before and it has definitely brought be comfort. The Lord DOES NOT want us to fear. Just like you don't want your children to be afraid. You bring them to you, wrap your arms around them and are "with" them. Christmas is a great time of year to remember that He is Immanuel, God WITH us. I think you are doing the right thing....leaning into the Lord by reading and praying. Your world seems chaotic to you, but I believe that the Lord sees you. He knows exactly your situation and your circumstances and he does not want you to fear or worry. I've learned that fear and worry just zaps me of the energy to be alive in other areas, so I've had to let go of some of it. (I confess that there are some areas that I hold onto fear (because it's so familiar) with white knuckled intensity. I'm working on those areas.)

My pastor's wife also used the illustration this fall at our Women's retreat of a trapeze artist. Think of the hold that they use when they fly from one trapeze to the arms of another artist on the next trapeze. They don't grasp hands....they grasp wrists. She told us that we can imagine God's hand in our lives in that way.....holding wrist to wrist. The beauty is...when we get tired, or fearful or doubtful and let go.....he's still there holding us strongly.

I love that image.

Not sure if any of this helps, but I pray that the Lord will send you pockets of peace as you lean into Him. Keep on keeping on.

I know how it can eat you up, being a fellow-worrier myself. And it is Satan's influence. My dd is a worrier, and I always tell her "If we rely on God the way He wants us to, and know that everything is in His hands, we shouldn't worry, because that's like we aren't trusting Him." Of course, this is me saying it, I need to feel it myself.:D Most of the time I do, but....

Does your church have a prayer chain? If so, call! If not, why don't you post another message on here, saying "Pray for me" and I am sure you will get many prayers lifted up for you. I will pray right after this message. Also, what about calling or meeting with your pastor?

It will pass, but in the meantime, ask for help, and also remember "He is with you.":grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: I struggle with this at times as well. Please know I'll be praying for you.

This quote always helps me (Matt 6):

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Also, while you are in the midst of it try some Calms Forte. It's homeopathic and it is wonderful. The worry is still there, but it doesn't consume me after a Calms Forte. It allows me to sleep.

:grouphug:

It actually crossed my mind today. I want to give it a few days. We have some things that might be resolved this week that will take a load off. It's frustrating. I want to just give it over to God. He wants it. I just can't let it go.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It happened to me once, years ago. I had such anxiety (over nothing in particular, just everything) that I was physically sick. Then I couldn't stop moving...either tapping fingers, twitching foot, etc. At that point dh took me to the doctor...and even then the meds took a few days to totally take effect. It was frightening. Nothing like it had happened before, and it's never happened since.

I hope you find some relief. I will keep you in my prayers.

Ria

I've suffered from anxiety most of my life. Sometimes I have to be medicated for awhile becauase it goes into depression.

Other times I find keeping busy helps. If I can focus on things that need to get done that relieves the symptoms somewhat. Sometimes, helping someone else, totally unrelated to any stress in my life.

I also will keep a running prayer in my mind. I ask the Lord to be with me, calm me and guide me. Any time I find my mind returning to what ever is stressing me I say the prayer. If my chest is getting tight I say the prayer and try to relax and take some deep breaths.

Something that might help your stomach is to lay on your back, try to clear your mind and relax. Rest your hands on your stomach and try to visualize something peaceful.

HTH! I sympathize with you; anxiety is no fun!

ETA: One thing that does not help is to focus on the anxiety or the symptoms of it. You can't "get to the bottom of it". You just have to breath through it; like giving birth, don't fight it.

:grouphug: You ladies are wonderful. Knowing I can come here for this kind of encouragement means so much. I noticed for the first time this season how beautiful it is here with the falling leaves and cool temps. Simplicity is the key here, I think. I'm going to go hug my kids who are wondering why mommy has her crazy eyes on.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, In this I [will be] confident." Psalm 27:3

"The angel* of the LORD encamps all around those who fear Him, And delivers them." Psalm 34:7

"I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

Jennie

I think I may be showing my age here, but I have heard what you say expressed by other dear, faithful friends and have felt similar unexplained magnified worries. I have always been a worrier, but these feelings are more like panic attacks that hit us in our 40's. My own personal remedy (in addition to study, prayer, calm surroundings...lol) is a greater attention to nutrition, a DAILY vitamin, rest, exercise, and lower expectations....I am not a spring chicken anymore.

:grouphug: Big hug for you! Wish it were real...

when I'm overwhelmed I try to focus on Thankfulness.... I remember years ago ( 16 maybe) I would go through days like what you are describing.... someone once told me to pray and say get behind me Statan... ... never worked for me..:glare: then I began to think I wasn't faithful enough... till one day it happened again... and while I was talking to the Lord while loading the dishwasher :D I heard say thank you... ( not audiably... but in my head:D) so that is what I now do... I thank God for all he has done for me....I run through a list... and it begins to go away because I am no longer focusing on the anxiety... and things I cant controll....but the joy I have and peace I can have in Jesus... who is faithful when I seem faithless....

I would just go about my chores or what ever I'm doing and begin saying thank yous...

Praying for you right now... Love to you, Lisa~

Worry. It's consuming me right now to the point of making me ill. My stomach is in knots and I'm not getting anything done. I need advice from a Christian perspective. I feel this is spiritual because it's so irrational. It's not about one thing. It's everything and nothing all at the same time. I've read scripture and prayed a lot this morning. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Do you have any books or scripture to help calm anxiety? My life just feels like...chaos.

I just spent a almost an hour talking to dh. I didn't want to call him because I know he'd want to fix it, bless his sweet heart. But he called and I feel like God was "all up in" our conversation. I feel better. We're going to walk tonight and look into eating better. We both agree we need to make some changes for our health. Your words and scripture have helped so much. I have so many blessings.

5 that are within hugging distance.

Virtual :grouphug: that I've gotten here.

My kids have been so good today.

Chuck is on tonight. We all look forward to watching it together every Monday night.

I froze a lasagne (Lasagna?) last week that I just have to pop in the oven and dinner will be done!

That names just a few.

ETA: Did you know lasagna is the plural form for lasagne? I looked it up...

Edited by Rich with Kids
lasagna

I was going to suggest Philippians 4:6-7 as well. When I am tempted to feel worried and fearful I try to focus on the sovereignty of God. I truly believe He has every single minute detail of the universe in His control and even when it appears that He is not there I remind myself that He truly is there, He is a good God and He works everything in our lives for good. I also remind myself that He supplies me with whatever grace I need to handle any situation that comes to me and that nothing happens to me that has not already passed through His loving hands. Romans 8:38-39 is another comforting scripture passage:

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Praying for you :grouphug:

The battleground between us and Satan is the mind.

{2 Cor.10:3} For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh {4} (for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but mighty before God to the casting down of strongholds), {5} casting down imaginations, and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

True Rest

My dear child, I know you're weary

With nothing left to give.

You've worked long and hard

Now you feel frayed and worn.

Come with Me to a quiet place

Away from all the noise and busyness.

Let Me wrap My arms around you,

Enfold you in My love.

Let Me whisper peace to your heart's storm,

Soothe your troubled brow.

Listen to the love song

I composed just for you.

In Me is true contentment.

In Me you will find what you long for.

Come with Me to a quiet place

And receive rest, strength, and peace.

By Margie Casteel

I have lived a lot of my life dealing with worry and anxiety. Recently, I was reading to my son from his Bible lesson and God said this to me: There are many people who wake up each day wondering what will go wrong (this is me completely). God wants you to start each day thinking of what can go right. With God, nothing is impossible.

Another: Worry sets burdens on your sholders that God did not put on you.

My anxiety also makes me sick. So sick, recently, that I lost over 35 pounds actually. Satan has attacked us hard becuase we made the right decision and began homeschooling. BUT my God is with me and there is NOTHING Satan can do to fight my God. THis was His will for our family, He led us on this journey, and He will help me fight back. :)

God bless you dear!

These replies are awesome! You are all so inspiring! I have to add my own Scripture reference for you, Rich with Kids:

James 1:2-14 (New International Version)

Trials and Temptations

2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

9The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position.

10But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower.

11For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even while he goes about his business.

12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.

Sincerely,

Chelle

And here is the one that always helps me:

God is our Refuge and Strength

A very present Help in trouble.

Therefore will not we fear

Though the earth be removed

Though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea

Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled

Though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.

God is in the midst of her;

She shall not be moved.

He shall help her

And that right early.

The rest of Psalm 46 is really cool as well.

Also, I am Lutheran, and we tend to emphasize belief and having the right beliefs a great deal. But from teaching Sunday school I have learned (by teaching it to the kids) the difference between belief and faith. Belief is important, but it is only part of faith. The other part of faith is trust. I trust God. He is in control. There is something that He has in mind, and He can and does pull something good out of everything. I pray to know what that good thing is, but I trust God that it is there whether I see it or not. This got me through an extremely difficult time a few years back, and I praise God for it.

One book that really helped me one summer when I was going through a lot of anxiety was Loving God with All Your Mind by Elizabeth George. She provides scripture to help you dwell on what is true and what is of God. I know when I have anxiety I worry about all the what if's. I would also recommend looking into whether some of this is health related. I have had certain health conditions in the past that caused anxiety or at least made it worse.

I was like this not to long ago. Keep reading the Bible and circle/mark everything that grabs your heart:

Joshua 1:9 - Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest.

Psalm 27:14 - Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart; wait, I say, on the Lord.

Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Psalm 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (and the whole chapter 46)

Psalm 37:5 - Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

Psalm 27:1 - The LORD ismy light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

**Verses for Confidence: Psalm 18:30-45**

Psalm 18:2 - The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust.....

Keep reading Psalms. I hope this post helped. :)

Edited to say: Keep up with Praise music...I like the Steve Pettit Evangelistic Team

Edited by 5knights3maidens

if you are in your 40's, it could be peri-menopause. I found that when I hit that stage I began to worry and worry. I couldn't focus....my mind became so scattered that it was difficult to even pray. I am amazed at what our hormones do or don't do for us.

I have to agree...I'm not even perimenopausal yet, but I had a health crisis this summer that grew out of a worrisome situation. But I believe it got out of control so easily because my hormones were not right. I have now addressed the situation (thanks to natural progesterone cream!) and also take some natural stuff for mood. I am MILES better and am not at all prone to the same out-of-control anxiety and worry. I thank God that he led me to a natural solution.

He will take care of you.

I'm sorry...I hate that feeling of general anxiousness...:grouphug:

A friend told me once, "If you can worry, you can pray." It requires the same focus and so now, when I am cognizant enough to remember that, as soon as I begin to worry, by an act of my will, I use the same energy to start praying. Everytime. Until it does what it does and calms my heart.

And one more :grouphug:

One note: a magnesium deficiency can make you feel that kind of anxiety. There is a supplement called "Cal-Mag" and another one called "Calm" that are both good. They are powders (put out by the same company) that are mixed into hot water (it fizzes to activate) to make a sort of lemony flavored drink.

I drink this every night.

Is there something tangible that we your online friends can do? :grouphug:

What a lovely thing to ask! What I felt in support here yesterday was almost tangible. I mean it. I was led to such beautiful, rich scripture and I felt God's presence so strongly for the first time in a long while. When DH got home, I felt even better.

I bought some of the Calms Forte someone suggested and I rested pretty well. My DH, on the other hand, had a very disturbing nightmare. He emailed me this a.m.

The dream was us laying in bed asleep. You woke up and sat up and looked above me terrified. I have never seen that look on your face. You then fell backward and started scooting on your back as if you were trying to stay under something. You did not notice that you got to the edge of the bed. As I shouted, "Kate!", you fell off of the bed. You sprang up from the ground,now angry not scared, and you were beating up (stomach punches like Rocky) something. I could not move. I was paralyzed and everytime I attempted to move you would seem to lose ground. I realized you were fighting Satan. I shouted Satan get thee behind me in the authority of the blood and the Name of Jesus christ. I woke up. After about 30 seconds, which seemed like 30 min, I prayed and God said, "See? That is all it takes. You can't fix it. I will. You cant fight the physical fight because it is unseen. I have to fight it for you and you will always win.

Freaky, huh? All I remember is my DH yelling, "Kate!" and then he mumbled something that sounded like Satan.

We seem to be in the thick of "it", but I am wonderfully calm today. Psalm 37:39-40

39 The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD;

he is their stronghold in time of trouble.

40 The LORD helps them and delivers them;

he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,

because they take refuge in him.

Thanks again to everone here.

What a lovely thing to ask! What I felt in support here yesterday was almost tangible. I mean it. I was led to such beautiful, rich scripture and I felt God's presence so strongly for the first time in a long while. When DH got home, I felt even better.

I bought some of the Calms Forte someone suggested and I rested pretty well. My DH, on the other hand, had a very disturbing nightmare. He emailed me this a.m.

The dream was us laying in bed asleep. You woke up and sat up and looked above me terrified. I have never seen that look on your face. You then fell backward and started scooting on your back as if you were trying to stay under something. You did not notice that you got to the edge of the bed. As I shouted, "Kate!", you fell off of the bed. You sprang up from the ground,now angry not scared, and you were beating up (stomach punches like Rocky) something. I could not move. I was paralyzed and everytime I attempted to move you would seem to lose ground. I realized you were fighting Satan. I shouted Satan get thee behind me in the authority of the blood and the Name of Jesus christ. I woke up. After about 30 seconds, which seemed like 30 min, I prayed and God said, "See? That is all it takes. You can't fix it. I will. You cant fight the physical fight because it is unseen. I have to fight it for you and you will always win.

Freaky, huh? All I remember is my DH yelling, "Kate!" and then he mumbled something that sounded like Satan.

We seem to be in the thick of "it", but I am wonderfully calm today. Psalm 37:39-40

39 The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD;

he is their stronghold in time of trouble.

40 The LORD helps them and delivers them;

he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,

because they take refuge in him.

Thanks again to everone here.

Oh, Kate, that gives me cold chills! I have never experienced anything like you describe, but have a dear friend who did last year. I am so glad for your calmness today. What a wonderful husband you have. And more importantly, what a mighty GOD!

I hope both of you sleep peacefully tonight.

Chelle