Menu

New Emma movie

lulubelle

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

That’s in lieu of the theater opening though I don’t think it’s going to work 

I know, and I feel for them. Now it looks like all the movies coming out are doing that. And it just doesn't seem reasonable to me, because you aren't getting the big screen theatre EXPERIENCE, kwim? It's usually $20 to *buy* a movie once it comes out to stream. 

And it's not like I can't pay the $20. I just wish they would have had a buy price that was slightly higher and been done with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

But if four are watching together that’s $5 each.

Alas, I think it will just be me. So then it's $20 for one and only a rental.

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I just need someone to tell me it’s better than the Kate Beckinsale version before I watch it at all.

I don't think I've seen that one, hmm. I adore the Romola Garai 2009 version and have an older BBC version (very straightlaced) that I like. Seems to me we have to watch this newest one, just to be thorough, and now it looks like there's one I need to go back and catch. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I think Emma is one of the hardest characters to get right. I can’t remember what it was, specifically, that I didn’t love about the 2009 version, but iirc it was something about the portrayal of emma. 

I don’t care for Emma as a protagonist. Gwyneth did not I help. But I’m willing to give this version a try!

• Like 1

The Kate Beckinsale version was the one I liked best over the years, but it has been several years since I watched it.  The new one was a lot of fun.  Overall the acting and casting was great (although I think they could have had more scenes with Mr. Woodhouse )and my dd and I loved the costumes and set designs.  It was a fun afternoon at the theater, but I agree that I'd rather buy it for 25 or 30 dollars because the $20 seems high for a rental.  

35 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Alas, I think it will just be me. So then it's $20 for one and only a rental.

I don't think I've seen that one, hmm. I adore the Romola Garai 2009 version 

It would just be me watching too, so I'm not willing to pay $20. I'm hoping that in a few months the price will drop to what it would have been if it opened in theaters then went to streaming. My cousin and I planned to see it in a theater together but since that's not happening I'm willing to wait.

I love the Romola Garai version. It's the only one that comes close to getting it right. Hated Gwyneth's Emma.

• Like 2

I saw it in theaters just before our city shut down.

I love Miranda Hart so much and I have to say her Miss Bates was so sympathetic... when Emma has a go at her, I wanted to punch Emma. But Emma's contrition was also well.played. I felt like the Churchill/Jane romance was not played out properly in this version. But overall it was beautiful and well acted. 

I think a $20 rental for a new release is not terrible. We havent gotten one yet, because there isn't a film we would have seen in theaters on offer. But I offered my son the option to rent one on his birthday... the only thing he wanted to watch the rest of us didnt want to so we decided to do something else. 

• Like 2

While I understand the reasoning for the $20 rental fee, there is no way I can justify the cost to myself. I'm not getting the theater experience. I wouldn't even had paid that much at the theater since I would have seen it alone and at a matinee price. So I'm going to try and wait it out until the cost drops. I'm in no hurry but it is disappointing so many movies are costing this much just to rent. I wouldn't have even paid that much for a DVD of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I don't think I've seen that one, hmm. I adore the Romola Garai 2009 version and have an older BBC version (very straightlaced) that I like. Seems to me we have to watch this newest one, just to be thorough, and now it looks like there's one I need to go back and catch. 

I looove the BBC version. (Maybe because I crush on Jonny Lee Miller). 

• Like 2

We streamed it at my daughter's house a week ago - and we all really liked it.

It does have a couple scenes that made me go "huh?" but overall I thought it was good. Emma comes across as snobby and thoughtless and I think that is how Jane Austen wrote her. She is too likable in the previous versions!  I really loved the costuming and the ladies all had their hair put up properly, too!!

There were six of us watching it so the $20 ended up being less than $4 each, so it was cheaper than actually going to the theater. I want to watch it again but am going to wait until it can be rented for less. 

On 4/12/2020 at 9:48 AM, sassenach said:

That’s in lieu of the theater opening though I don’t think it’s going to work 

If we think about it...maybe we should make the effort to pay for it if we would have seen it in the theater. After all, they need to pay for the cost of making the film.

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

We pay for the experience in the theater especially the screen size and the surround sound. We also pay for the cost of movie theater getting the picture in the first place. Also, print and advertising budgets is included in the price of the movie ticket. Much of it released in amazon has none of these overhead costs. Trying to inflate their price to take advantage of a captive, bored audience is not going to work. Most families do not have a lot of people SIP together, plus the audience of this movie among a family is 1 or 2 like mine where it is 1, 2 if I count my 4 year old daughter. My son and husband will not join us even for this. So it makes no sense to pay $20 for us.

Good point.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, Lady Florida. said:

It would just be me watching too, so I'm not willing to pay $20. I'm hoping that in a few months the price will drop to what it would have been if it opened in theaters then went to streaming. My cousin and I planned to see it in a theater together but since that's not happening I'm willing to wait.

I love the Romola Garai version. It's the only one that comes close to getting it right. Hated Gwyneth's Emma.

Okay, remind me which is which - my favorite so far is the BBC miniseries version with the blonde actress;  there was another I think also fairly recent BBC one that was just one episode with a brunette.  Not sure of either actress' name, but the miniseries was way better. I think I've come to think that Jane Austen's plots are much better served by a miniseries than a movie-length treatment - just can't get all the nuances right in the time constraints of a movie... so I'm hesitant to go see this one... 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, remind me which is which - my favorite so far is the BBC miniseries version with the blonde actress;  there was another I think also BBC one that was just one episode with a brunette.  Not sure of either actress' name, but the miniseries was way better. I think I've come to think that Jane Austen's plots are much better served by a miniseries than a movie-length treatment - just can't get all the nuances right in the time constraints of a movie... so I'm hesitant to go see this one... 

The BBC miniseries is Romola Garai. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1366312/