Menu

What's on top of your Christmas tree?

We put our tree yesterday and I always get nostalgic when I get out the ornaments. They bring so many memories; good times, lean times, even sad and hard times. They weave together to make our Christmas special. At the top of our tree we always put a santa hat. It's the one ds, soon to be NINE years old (yikes) wore home from the hospital in 1999. He was released from the NICU along with six other preemies on December 20. The NICU staff had santa suits for all the babies to go home in. The local news station was there as so many preemies were being released at the same time. I don't remember much about that Christmas day, but it was by far the most special up til that time. We had our long awaited promise in our arms. Every time I pull out that hat and put it atop our tree, I remember and smile.

He was released from the NICU along with six other preemies on December 20. The NICU staff had santa suits for all the babies to go home in. ........ Every time I pull out that hat and put it atop our tree, I remember and smile.

What a lovely celebration each time you decorate your tree. That was a neat thing for the NICU to do, they must have been as happy as the parents to see those babies safely to their homes!

A gold beaded angel. I bought it at Target after our 2nd Christmas together. Money was very tight, and I fell in love with this angel while picking up some ornaments. Every time I was at Target I looked at it and though it was so pretty. I woke up early the day after Christmas and went to Target and was able to buy it at a discount.

a star

Not just any star. It is a 1960's plastic star with flashing lights on each point and 5 more in the middle and embellished with tinsel. Yes, I know it sounds cheesy, but it is probably the most sentimental item I own. In 1967, I was 1, and my parents were celebrating their first Christmas in a new city and first home. They found it at a Christmas Eve clearance sale-$2.49, or so says the price tag on the box. From 1967-2003, it topped my parents' Christmas tree. After they passed away, iI got it and it is on my tree every year. The most amazing thing is that 41 years later, none of the bulbs has ever needed replacing! There are two replacement bulbs still neatly taped in the original box.

Our family had its share of dysfunction over the years and I have some not so nice memories of growing up and even into adulthood, but Christmas was always a happy time for us, and the Star is such a great reminder of the good times.

Edited by Diana in OR
grammatical error

We have a big bow with cascading ribbons. In the past we had a white angel, but now we put the tree in a place that the angel doesn't show well, so we switched. I'd love to have one of those glowing, almost cross-shaped stars (delightfully retro and yet classsy, IMHO), but the top of our cheap, artificial tree isn't strong enough to hold up the weight.

Growing up we had an angel on the top, and a little bird clipped near the top.

All of the trees we've had since marriage haven't had toppers. I want an angel...and I can't find one to fall in love with. I did buy a little bird to clip near the top, but have never been able to use it because our trees have been too small.

This year we finally have a full-size tree and we are making every decoration for it. So, we will finally have a tree topper. Either a lace angel or a star, haven't decided which yet.

I have an angel. Her skirt lights up. My mom and I went shopping at Bronner's - huge Christmas store in Michigan - the first year dh and I were married, and she bought it for me. I love her.

My mom was here for Thanksgiving (my dad was too but he didn't help decorate the tree) and she said how much she likes our angel. We told her that she bought it for us and she had no recollection. Pretty funny. :D

We used to have a very beautiful star on top of our tree, but it broke during one of our many moves. The year it broke, we put a small Pooh Bear on the top of the tree. Every year since, one of the kids has donated a toy for the top of our tree. This year it will most likely be Spiderman.

Nothing. I've never found the perfect star (though the tin Mexican star sounds nice). All I've seen have been electric, ugly or overpriced. I made a ribbon once, but I'm not a good ribbon maker.

I'd like to get the King's Crown Treetopperfrom CBD someday. I can't even begin to count how long it has been in my shopping cart or wish list, but I end up buying a school book instead.

Someday....