Menu

Any suggestions to clear up BACNE

1GirlTwinBoys

Does he use a benzoyl peroxide wash or salicylic acid wash on his back?  That would be the first thing I'd try.  Spot treatments could be effective, as well, but he'd probably need your help. 

NOTE: Any benzoyl peroxide product is likely to cause fabric bleaching if it's not fully rinsed off, but it's usually more effective than salicylic acid products.  There are certain towels and sheets that are resistant to the bleaching.

• Like 1

My son's was really bad. We tried the benzoyl peroxide plus erythromycin combo from our dr for a good long time, but he still had it. When he went away to college, he tried milk of magnesia, patting it on at night and letting it dry then wearing a shirt to bed. Cleared it up in a few weeks. 

• Like 3

We haven’t dealt with this yet, but I heard a method that I’m keeping in my pocket for future use. Dr Dray (YouTube dermatologist) says that Panzoxyl wash is really good for body acne bc it’s thick enough to make a sort of mask. She recommends applying a mask of it in the shower and letting it sit for about ten minutes before washing off. She even claims it can be done on the armpits to help with odor bu killing off some odor causing bacteria. (Panoxyl is benzoyl peroxide so use white towels to avoid possible bleaching)

Good luck!

16 hours ago, klmama said:

Does he use a benzoyl peroxide wash or salicylic acid wash on his back?  That would be the first thing I'd try.  Spot treatments could be effective, as well, but he'd probably need your help. 

NOTE: Any benzoyl peroxide product is likely to cause fabric bleaching if it's not fully rinsed off, but it's usually more effective than salicylic acid products.  There are certain towels and sheets that are resistant to the bleaching.

8 hours ago, mmasc said:

We haven’t dealt with this yet, but I heard a method that I’m keeping in my pocket for future use. Dr Dray (YouTube dermatologist) says that Panzoxyl wash is really good for body acne bc it’s thick enough to make a sort of mask. She recommends applying a mask of it in the shower and letting it sit for about ten minutes before washing off. She even claims it can be done on the armpits to help with odor bu killing off some odor causing bacteria. (Panoxyl is benzoyl peroxide so use white towels to avoid possible bleaching)

Good luck!

My DS15 has bacne and a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash we picked up  is helping. Finally found someone that works. It's a creamier wash (generic Walmart brand-much less than name brand), so we just started mmasc's tip. I put it on like lotion 10 min or so before his shower. Thank you! 

IMG_20200224_134115090.jpg

• Like 1

Ds is trying straight tea tree oil at night and apple cider vinegar in the day. His are very bad

his oldest brother had them too as an older teen. He ended up going on antibiotics. The antibiotics had a side effect of damaging the skin so that he sunburned easily. Even 10 years after stopping the antibiotics he still sunburns easily. So his younger brother doesn’t want to go down the same path.

when ds will allow me - I'll clean it with seabreeze and put Clearasil on it.  it will clear up, same with his face . . . . then he won't, and it will come back.  occasionally he'll clean his face himself and put stuff on it, and more than he used to - so, progress.