Menu

Theological degree...How to pay for it

bethben

My son right now is on a missionary adventure - 6 months with YWAM.  He has expressed a desire to teach/preach.  I've looked into just a few theological colleges or colleges that will give him the ability to get more grounded in the Bible/ theology/ worldview.  THE EXPENSE!!!!  Just the few I looked into were around $40-$50 K per year!!!!  Dh and I are at a point where there is no way we could even pay for 1/4 of that expense and we really don't want him going into huge amounts of college debt in order to take a very low paying job.  We don't qualify for financial aid from what I looked into because we are at the awkward middle ground - not rich enough to be able to pay for it but too rich to get aid.  Our focus is long term care for his very disabled brother.  Is this a dream that he will have to give up?  This honestly saddens me.  

Have you looked at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago?  Tuition is covered by donations to the school, although students still have to pay room, board, books, and fees.  There are scholarships, but they are also from donation, so they cover seniors first, then juniors, etc.  Would your son qualify for any outside scholarships that might help?  

For any college that looks good, be sure to take a look at the net price calculator.  Some schools offer amazing academic scholarships.  Also, you should discuss your financial situation/brother's long-term care needs with school admissions or financial aid offices.  Many schools take such things into account when they offer scholarships.

• Like 3

This is a hard question.  My church in my previous town had a young man called to ministry, and he spent one year at a seminary, with some money from our church, and he decided it was just too expensive and he wouldn't be able to do what he wanted with the loan he would have.  

He is going to be in ministry without a seminary degree.  

He expects to work part-time in another area and part-time in ministry.  

I think there are a lot of different answers but I don't think this is uncommon.  Our church provided a scholarship but the seminary was SO expensive.  The scholarship helped but was not going to be near the full cost, and he knew he wasn't going to be making a lot of money since he wanted to do mission stuff.  

We moved and I have lost track a bit, but I do think he got a lot out of the year he spent at the seminary.  Iirc he went to a state school his freshman and sophomore year, the seminary his junior year, and then I think he went back to the state school his senior year.  I can't say that 100% but it's what I remember.  

His parents had 3 kids and the seminary was $$$$$.  The state school was something they could help him with.  They were very generous people, too, but the seminary was $$$$$.  

Edited by Lecka

My mom lives minutes from a train that goes to downtown Chicago.  She had my cousin and her husband live with her for a few years when my cousin's husband went there.  It is a real possibility.  I wish colleges wouldn't assume the parent can help the college costs.  It's not like we're buying new cars every year and going on expensive vacations (ever really).  We live pretty modest.  My son will be responsible for the majority of his college costs.  

• Like 4

In many denominations a graduate degree (Master of Divinity or similar) is required to be a pastor or missionary. Undergrad degree is necessary for admission to seminary, but what that is in is not super relevant. 4 out of 6 guys in my study group had hard science degrees!

I have a graduate level theology degree and paid for it by saving while working my first 3 yrs out of university. I also worked in ministry during those years and during grad school. My home church helped to support my studies. 

If you contact your church or denomination's mission board, they can give you some idea of what educational background their typical candidates have.

My undergrad degree is also religion/theology. In retrospect, I'd choose a major with more marketable skills (and still enjoy plenty of those big idea courses). 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

Also, there are many ways to gain an education in Christian doctrine while an undergrad at an inexpensive state U. Look for churches and parachurch organizations with internships/mentoring programs/jobs. Honestly, being in a solid church, in a college fellowship, and walking as a Christian in his studies (whatever, wherever) and his personal relationships is enough prep for an undergrad. He will have opportunities to step into leadership roles, face challenges, and test his gifts for ministry in college no matter what he studies or where he enrolls. He will have many service, ministry, and Bible study opportunities, even at a secular school. Perhaps better than in a Christian one in many ways. Summer opportunities abound. All good prep for doing ministry as an adult. 

He can take public speaking, languages, religion, history, and philosophy classes and be digging in to Christian classics to build a foundation simultaneously. I did this as an undergrad at a state U and was even able to incorporate some of my Theology/worldview studies into my required academic work. 

I'd say encourage him, but also keep within reasonable financial limits. His dream may change. It may not. If he's called to be a pastor or missionary, God will get him there. Give him time to grow up. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

Locally, I've noticed that a lot of people who go this way seem to either get a general-purpose undergraduate degree while being involved in ministry and then do seminary online or in-person part-time. Some were able to get full-time ministry-type jobs, and some are just working in business or education while doing the part-time seminary degree. Most pastors and missionaries seem to have a master's degree in most denominations in my area. I know some taking classes locally from a branch of Dallas Theological Seminary, and it is about $1600/course from what they've told me. 

There are a few schools like Moody who charge less, but keep in mind that they are also very competitive to get into. 

• Like 3

I realized that the student from my church was probably doing the beginning of a Masters degree and withdrew over money.  I think there are options for him without the degree in the denomination, because of more part-time pastors who have "a day job" at smaller congregations.  I think it's a problem that the degree has gotten more expensive but there are fewer congregations with a good financial situation to hire a full-time minister and pay commensurate with the student loan payments.  They do encourage students to be sponsored by their home church but it's like -- that can only go so far.  

I think a lot will depend on your denomination.  

This student was very involved in the campus ministry at his state school and that went really well for him, and he had summer opportunities, and would preach some Sundays at our church (as guest sermons).  I agree with pp -- things like that are great options.  He lived in a housing thing with people from the campus ministry where they did volunteer work together and hosted events at their house thing.  I haven't been but I think the building had room on the 1st floor for events, and then rooms for students to live in on the 2nd floor.  He applied to live there and then was part of a small community of people who had applied to live there. 

Agree it varies by denomination.  For ours (Lutheran - LCMS), seminary is a 4yr Masters of Divinity degree.  You have to have a bachelor's degree, but it can be in anything - dh's is in biomedical science.  Our seminaries also have been working hard to subsidize tuition as much as possible.  When dh attended, tuition was 100% subsidized; now it's a significant percentage but not 100%.  Even so, he still took out the max federal student loans each year to cover room&board (on top of working part time).  

There are a *lot* of "second career" guys at the sem, too - over half the students - so they could have built up savings from years of full-time work.  

• Like 2

A couple of things...

A close family member has a terminal theology degree where they received their undergrad in theology/philosophy at a US university but then went overseas/international to a highly respected, specific to our faith, university for their masters and doctorate, making them unique and sought after specifically for it.  Maybe something overseas would be an option where the tuition is so greatly reduced that, although the cost of living may be higher, the overall cost would be doable.

Also, I heard about a seminary that you can pay traditionally or monthly depending on what makes the most sense for your degree and lifestyle.  The monthly "subscription" is attractive for many.  Not sure what denomination it leans towards, but here are their website and tuition pages.  Maybe there are more seminaries out there who operate their tuition structure in a similar fashion.

Jobs in ministry rarely pay well so being smart about the cost of things up front will be extremely beneficial in the long run.  I admire him for wanting to take this path in life.  Good luck to him as he makes this decision!

Edited by ChrisB

Seminary (Masters of Divinity, Episcopal Church)  gave us a full scholarship and subsidized housing. Many denominations do this. Is he going for a Masters or an undergrad? 

There are tons of scholarships for those entering tbe ministry, but it depends on denomination. YWAM can definitively be a resource. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 1:52 PM, G5052 said:

Locally, I've noticed that a lot of people who go this way seem to either get a general-purpose undergraduate degree while being involved in ministry and then do seminary online or in-person part-time. Some were able to get full-time ministry-type jobs, and some are just working in business or education while doing the part-time seminary degree 

I would really encourage him to consider this type of approach. After getting his undergrad, he could either pursue seminary classes part-time while working or go straight for a master's in something like theology. If his interest changes, the more general undergrad will be of much more use. If his interest does continue, this will likely save him a lot of money, and he can certainly stay involved in ministry activities in undergrad. 

I don't know how standard these things are, but the local seminary I'm a bit familiar with has the usual general education requirements, like 30 hours. He could start knocking out those gen eds somewhere less expensive, and then either transfer or go ahead with the grad school plan. 

On 1/29/2020 at 11:04 AM, bethben said:

Dh and I are at a point where there is no way we could even pay for 1/4 of that expense and we really don't want him going into huge amounts of college debt in order to take a very low paying job.   

At those prices, he probably couldn't even take on enough debt himself to pay for it, you would be looking at Parent Plus loans. 

• Like 1

There are some online Master's degree programs for Seminary. I have not looked into this much, but I have a friend getting her MA of Divinity from Gordon Conwell online and she told me it is around $10K.  Right now they are not 100% online, you have to go to 2 weeks of class here and there (a couple times a year) but they say that is changing to 100% online soon.

So, your son could do an undergrad elsewhere an an MA online for not too much debt.

I know there are other places that offer online as well but I don't know them off hand.  I think Liberty has 100% online undergrad and maybe an MA as well.  They aren't cheap, but it isn't horrible either.  I think Grand Canyon Univ. has something online as well.

We have a fantastic program here that just started.  It is a local community college ($2000/year) and if you get an AA there, the local Christian college allows you to go to their school for $2500/year tuition to get your BA.  They have ministry degrees.  I know that is the oddest thing, but it is amazing.  And most people know nothing about it.  

This might sound glib, but I would pray about it for the time he is with YWAM and I bet you will find some open doors.  

Here is something I found online that maybe will help in your search:

https://www.theologydegrees.org/rankings/affordable-master-of-theology/

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

We have a fantastic program here that just started.  It is a local community college ($2000/year) and if you get an AA there, the local Christian college allows you to go to their school for $2500/year tuition to get your BA.  They have ministry degrees.  I know that is the oddest thing, but it is amazing.  And most people know nothing about it.  

Where do you live?!!?  My son actually got an AA before he graduated high school.  I was also looking at Christian schools because at least at some of them, he can get a really decent Biblical/philosophical education.   They just are all so expensive.  We will not take out a parent plus loan.  We really have to plan well for my disabled son and getting into debt like that is not an option.  

2 hours ago, bethben said:

Where do you live?!!?  My son actually got an AA before he graduated high school.  I was also looking at Christian schools because at least at some of them, he can get a really decent Biblical/philosophical education.   They just are all so expensive.  We will not take out a parent plus loan.  We really have to plan well for my disabled son and getting into debt like that is not an option.  

I will PM you.  

As good as online can be, I would be wary of too much online, esp recorded or asynchronous. A massive part of my theological education was learning in community. I think the lack of real relationships with both peers and professors would really eviscerate the experience. Studying Christian Theology is sitting under the Word of God for many hours a week and that is NOT the same as other higher education. Not just mastering information and skills.  I think having fellow students and professors to discuss (for long hours), debate, pray and weep with should be an inherent part of a theology student's education.  We need the Body to help us understand and interpret and apply the Word. Modern evangelicalism is very much "Jesus, me and my Bible", but that is not the history of the Church. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

As good as online can be, I would be wary of too much online, esp recorded or asynchronous. A massive part of my theological education was learning in community. I think the lack of real relationships with both peers and professors would really eviscerate the experience. Studying Christian Theology is sitting under the Word of God for many hours a week and that is NOT the same as other higher education. Not just mastering information and skills.  I think having fellow students and professors to discuss (for long hours), debate, pray and weep with should be an inherent part of a theology student's education.  We need the Body to help us understand and interpret and apply the Word. Modern evangelicalism is very much "Jesus, me and my Bible", but that is not the history of the Church. 

I do believe this is what he longs for and desires.  When he was homeschooled, I did put him in a lot of online classes as he got older.  While he learned quite a bit from them, he wasn't enthused about it.  I did wind up just putting him full time in the community college down the road his junior year because he really needed people and nothing that I could find around us was up to his educational level ( I did find some communities after the fact).  Two of our pastors did go to a christian college that I think would give him the mix of solid Biblical teaching and missions that I think he desires, but at $40K per year (not including the missions trips these students constantly seem to be going on), it's just not going to happen. DH and I like many people on these forums were a one income family who struggled to just cover month to month bills much less save thousands for college.   YWAM has been really good for him, but he needs to raise money and can't work while he attends YWAM like he could with a college.  He's my kid that has a brain like a philosopher.  I wish I could encourage that brain with people smarter than him who would challenge him.  My #3 kid will most likely go into engineering or computer science.  To me, that's a lot easier to figure out.  The local university down the street can fulfill his desires easily at an affordable cost (less than 1/4 the cost of a private college).  It's just harsh when your kid wants to pursue a Christian degree of sorts and it's soooo far out of reach.  

• Like 2

Going to an expensive Christian college is not necessary to be prepared for ministry.

Fwiw, I learned so much English Bible (as opposed to Hebrew and Greek), philosophy, church history, and solid theology as an undergrad at a state U that I had a great foundation for a career in ministry and for seminary. My church family (at school), friends, Bible study groups and campus fellowships, Christian and non-Christian professors, all taught me so much! A public U may be a great place for him to learn and grow. Don't write it off!

If your son has a call to missions or the pastorate, God will work it out. He can read, discuss, pray and  live life with Christian friends and in a church family at any university. 

Grad school for theology isn't going anywhere. God will get your son there in His timing, His way, if that's he needs.

Here is an article I looked at recently.  I have heard good things about Lee, and I have heard bits and pieces of others, but don't know a whole lot about them.  I went to a Christian college, but my parents were missionaries and they gave a discount to missionary kids.  That college is now about $55k without scholarships.

https://www.urbanedjournal.org/rankings/top-10-most-affordable-christian-colleges

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:28 AM, bethben said:

My mom lives minutes from a train that goes to downtown Chicago.  She had my cousin and her husband live with her for a few years when my cousin's husband went there.  It is a real possibility.  I wish colleges wouldn't assume the parent can help the college costs.  It's not like we're buying new cars every year and going on expensive vacations (ever really).  We live pretty modest.  My son will be responsible for the majority of his college costs.  

I see this is a few weeks old but I'm wondering if you looked into Moody more. We are heading to Chicago for a "Day 1" visit soon.  I really like the look of the hands on ministry work. They are required to do what they call Practical Christian Ministry once a week which is great, much better than just attending classes.  The public transit will mean transportation costs are small.  My son in Huntsville currently is sick and it's rained a lot while he biked around and he is looking to live off campus next year. Having a vehicle is expensive though.

Is 2 years of community college, following by theological seminary a realistic option for him?  Work and save $$ while living at home, plus transfer scholarships, plus some loans to get him his degree from theological seminary.  Alternatively, is there something he can work on in ministry without a theology degree (youth ministry with an education certificate from a community college, for example)?

Edited by Reefgazer

• 3 months later...

So, my son has decided to go into ministry and possibly missions as well.

I have discovered another option that is like Moody.  It is called Bethany Global University.  And they have free tuition if you pay room and board.  The cost is around $10k per year for room and board.  

https://bethanygu.edu

Keep in mind I know nothing about this place, I just found it and thought it might be worth exploring.  I need to find out their church affiliations, etc....if anyone here knows, please fill me in.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, DawnM said:

So, my son has decided to go into ministry and possibly missions as well.

I have discovered another option that is like Moody.  It is called Bethany Global University.  And they have free tuition if you pay room and board.  The cost is around $10k per year for room and board.  

https://bethanygu.edu

Keep in mind I know nothing about this place, I just found it and thought it might be worth exploring.  I need to find out their church affiliations, etc....if anyone here knows, please fill me in.

I don't know many details about the college, but we know a young lady who graduated from Bethany Global. She really treasures her experience there. She did foreign (Philippines) medical missions as a midwife while a Bethany student, has worked and become certified as a midwife in the States, and has plans (if Covid allows) to move permanently to Africa this fall as a midwife. Bethany has been great for her for networking and finding missions opportunities.

She graduated high school with our eldest, so we have known her for quite a few years.