Menu

Update: She got accepted! Anyone here familiar w/ U of Maryland--College Park area? AudD program

popmom

This is my daughter's top pick for grad school. She will be getting an AudD (audiology). She plans to work with veterans and is especially attracted to the prospect of the program's partnering with Walter Reed. She hasn't been accepted yet, but I'm trying to figure out if it's even feasible. She would have to have an assistantship with stipend--which they do offer. The housing there is twice as much as it is where she's in school currently. And she has dogs--a 50 lb pit bull and a 6 lb chihuahua mix. 

If U of Maryland doesn't work out, she can stay at her current school. She has options. Just trying to figure out if/how we could make it work. Recommendations on cheap student housing would be greatly appreciated. 

How do people do this? Do they all just get huge loans? 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I don't have a housing suggestion, but PG county, MD, where UMD is located, has a ban on pit bulls.

She could live over the line in another jurisdiction and commute. 

oh my goodness. I will tell her asap. Thank you for telling me! So I guess I need recommendations on areas that haven't banned pit bulls. 

I think some people take out huge loans.  I think smart people weigh debt very carefully with goals and price shop grad school options.  You have many more flexible options and career path options when you graduate with less debt.  I'd tell her to figure out what payment is going to look like vs potential career path vs cost of living prior to signing on for loans.  I tend to think if a grad program wants you and is willing to throw money your way, you're more likely to have faculty attention and have a good experience.  

I have a young friend that did grad school at U of Maryland just within the past few years and had a great experience there.  Like many grad school programs, I think it can really depend on department/faculty/program and the student.  I know nothing about housing, but that's a very exciting area to be in as a young person!  She had a great time on every level - living, working, and studying there.  I've got to imagine student housing  with pets is tough.  My son just signed on for a rental near a large campus next year and the housing restrictions everywhere near his similar campus are super strict.  

• Like 3

Yes, indeed the pit-bull may be a problem.  The thing with other jurisdictions is that would probably be MoCo. and the housing prices are worse there.    The thing is that even if the jurisdiction doesn't have a ban rental properties might have a ban. 

Most of the people I know who live on a stipend share a house or rent a room.  They live very frugally.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Oh.. I should have added:

I've had two do grad-programs.

Your dd needs to talk to grad students and find out how long they have been in the program.  My daughter learned the hard way that Johns Hopkins uses their grad students as cheap labor and likes to keep them as long as possible.  It wasn't unknown to have grad students working on the PhD for 5-8years.  My daughter probably went the longest but that is because she had 3 kids while going through the program.    Yeah, it looks great to have your PhD from Johns Hopkins, but there is a price to pay.  

My son talked with students in both schools he was considering.  One was clearly going to take longer (and he said nobody smiled while he was on the tour) .  He went with the faster (and happier) choice.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yes, indeed the pit-bull may be a problem.  The thing with other jurisdictions is that would probably be MoCo. and the housing prices are worse there.    The thing is that even if the jurisdiction doesn't have a ban rental properties might have a ban. 

Most of the people I know who live on a stipend share a house or rent a room.  They live very frugally.

Good luck!

Yes, I expect that many properties with have an "aggressive breed" restriction--I just wasn't expecting the whole county! 

She can live very frugally. She's very resourceful. But she won't part with those dogs.

2 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Your dd needs to talk to grad students and find out how long they have been in the program.  My daughter learned the hard way that Johns Hopkins uses their grad students as cheap labor and likes to keep them as long as possible.  It wasn't unknown to have grad students working on the PhD for 5-8years.  My daughter probably went the longest but that is because she had 3 kids while going through the program.    Yeah, it looks great to have your PhD from Johns Hopkins, but there is a price to pay.  

My son talked with students in both schools he was considering.  One was clearly going to take longer (and he said nobody smiled while he was on the tour) .  He went with the faster (and happier) choice.  

Thank you. This is great advice.

• Like 1

At a lot of schools it costs less to move out of the dorms and into an apartment. At UMD it does not. It's inside the beltway and everything is expensive.  It's a HCOL area. If you move further out, you have to factor in a soul crushing commute. My daughter shares a university apartment with three other girls.  They each pay a little over $900 a month.  Nicer apartments off campus go up from there.  We live twenty miles away, but having her live at school adds HOURS to her day. Finding a pet-friendly apartment where you can have multiple dogs including a pit bull, will be a huge hurdle. 

Public transportation is pretty good there and there are buses that go to the College Park Metro station.  There is a LOT to do. They're going to construct a purple line for the metro ON the campus, so I imagine it'll gum up the on-campus works while it's under construction.  That'll start in the summer and take a couple years to complete.

We are so broke right now and I cannot wait until DD graduates in the Spring.  It's like paying for a second house (in this HCOL area).  She got some scholarships, and has a campus job.  Dh cobbled together some extra contracts and I teach a few dance classes a week.  It's not long-term sustainable, but we've managed to get through. She loves it, is doing well, and will be employable when she gets out.  Four more months!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, popmom said:

Yes, I expect that many properties with have an "aggressive breed" restriction--I just wasn't expecting the whole county! 

She can live very frugally. She's very resourceful. But she won't part with those dogs.

That's really tough.  Can nobody talk her out of letting these pets determine the trajectory of her life?  Finding a pet friendly place for students will be tough.  If she finds one, it'll often come with a hefty per-pet fee and a weight restriction or limits on the number of animals.  If she needs roommates to afford a place, that makes it even harder with the pets. I get it.  Dh and I had dogs in college.  It just wasn't the wisest choice we've ever made in life.  We didn't do it in a HCOL area.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

That's really tough.  Can nobody talk her out of letting these pets determine the trajectory of her life?  Finding a pet friendly place for students will be tough.  If she finds one, it'll often come with a hefty per-pet fee and a weight restriction or limits on the number of animals.  If she needs roommates to afford a place, that makes it even harder with the pets. I get it.  Dh and I had dogs in college.  It just wasn't the wisest choice we've ever made in life.  We didn't do it in a HCOL area.

yeah, no...I get it. It wouldn't have been my choice for her--to get these dogs. She spoke her first word at 9 months of age...and it was "dog". And her love for dogs has never abated. She started her own rescue and even obtained 501c3 status for her organization while an undergrad. She has taken on many "project dogs" that have required major rehabilitation. More than one pit bull. This one she kept--he was found dragging a chain. Skin and bones. Abused and neglected in rural Georgia. Severe heartworms. His teeth were either deliberately filed down to be a bait dog or he ate gravel because he was starving. We don't know. But she took him in and nursed him back to health. Out of all the dogs she's fostered he and the chi mix are the only two that she couldn't give up. Animal rescue IS the trajectory of her life. She will sacrifice whatever it takes for these dogs. And because I know her I can say...she didn't just save them. They saved her, too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

At a lot of schools it costs less to move out of the dorms and into an apartment. At UMD it does not. It's inside the beltway and everything is expensive.  It's a HCOL area. If you move further out, you have to factor in a soul crushing commute. My daughter shares a university apartment with three other girls.  They each pay a little over $900 a month.  Nicer apartments off campus go up from there.  We live twenty miles away, but having her live at school adds HOURS to her day. Finding a pet-friendly apartment where you can have multiple dogs including a pit bull, will be a huge hurdle. 

Public transportation is pretty good there and there are buses that go to the College Park Metro station.  There is a LOT to do. They're going to construct a purple line for the metro ON the campus, so I imagine it'll gum up the on-campus works while it's under construction.  That'll start in the summer and take a couple years to complete.

We are so broke right now and I cannot wait until DD graduates in the Spring.  It's like paying for a second house (in this HCOL area).  She got some scholarships, and has a campus job.  Dh cobbled together some extra contracts and I teach a few dance classes a week.  It's not long-term sustainable, but we've managed to get through. She loves it, is doing well, and will be employable when she gets out.  Four more months!

I feel you! i have 3 in college right now. 2 graduate in May. Hoping and praying one will launch. And this one needs a stipend! Yes! Four more months! 

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

yeah, no...I get it. It wouldn't have been my choice for her--to get these dogs. She spoke her first word at 9 months of age...and it was "dog". And her love for dogs has never abated. She started her own rescue and even obtained 501c3 status for her organization while an undergrad. She has taken on many "project dogs" that have required major rehabilitation. More than one pit bull. This one she kept--he was found dragging a chain. Skin and bones. Abused and neglected in rural Georgia. Severe heartworms. His teeth were either deliberately filed down to be a bait dog or he ate gravel because he was starving. We don't know. But she took him in and nursed him back to health. Out of all the dogs she's fostered he and the chi mix are the only two that she couldn't give up. Animal rescue IS the trajectory of her life. She will sacrifice whatever it takes for these dogs. And because I know her I can say...she didn't just save them. They saved her, too. 

Oh my gosh.  It seems like animals are her real passion.  In that case good for her! I think she'll find a way with that kind of determination.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, popmom said:

I feel you! i have 3 in college right now. 2 graduate in May. Hoping and praying one will launch. And this one needs a stipend! Yes! Four more months! 

I don't even care if she launches.  She can live here forever.  I just want to stop paying her rent and tuition.  She's bleeding us dry, but she's going into education and we REALLY want her to come out of school debt free because she'll never have money.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don't even care if she launches.  She can live here forever.  I just want to stop paying her rent and tuition.  She's bleeding us dry, but she's going into education and we REALLY want her to come out of school debt free because she'll never have money.

I feel the same way! The one who doesn't require grad school is majoring in graphic design. I would love for her to come home and get a job and save some money. It's not a high paying profession.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the school or area, but I am an audiologist.  If she would like to talk I am happy to speak with her.  I would not encourage her to have a large student debt when finishing.   She can attend grad school anywhere, but try to do her residency at Walter Reed if that is where she truly wants to end up.  I did love my career!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

But that's the norm at most schools, and not unique to JHU. In fact if JHU is providing funding for students for up to 8 years, I would see that as a bonus, not a case of exploitation. I don't think anyone in my grad program took less than 6 yrs, and many took longer. And for anyone who does an MA first, it's generally 2 yrs for the MA and then another 4 yrs (at least) for the PhD.

I just googled "average time to complete PhD" and every article I found suggested that 5-8 years is pretty average:

According to the Survey of Earned Doctorates, a census of recent research doctorate recipients who earned their degree from U.S. institutions, the median amount of time it took individuals who received their doctorates in 2017 to complete their program was 5.8 years. However, there are many types of programs that typically take longer than six years to complete, such as humanities and arts doctorates, where the median time for individuals to earn their degree was 7.1 years, according to the survey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

This is my daughter's top pick for grad school. She will be getting an AudD (audiology). She plans to work with veterans and is especially attracted to the prospect of the program's partnering with Walter Reed. She hasn't been accepted yet, but I'm trying to figure out if it's even feasible. She would have to have an assistantship with stipend--which they do offer. The housing there is twice as much as it is where she's in school currently. And she has dogs--a 50 lb pit bull and a 6 lb chihuahua mix. 

If U of Maryland doesn't work out, she can stay at her current school. She has options. Just trying to figure out if/how we could make it work. Recommendations on cheap student housing would be greatly appreciated. 

How do people do this? Do they all just get huge loans? 

I don't know about audiology, but most PhD programs I'm familiar with won't accept you if they can't provide funding — and many people will say not to go into a program unless they offer full (or close to full) funding. At UCLA, teaching & research assistantships included tuition waivers, so the stipend was enough to cover living expenses as long as I lived fairly frugally. I did not have any loans.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

But that's the norm at most schools, and not unique to JHU. In fact if JHU is providing funding for students for up to 8 years, I would see that as a bonus, not a case of exploitation. I don't think anyone in my grad program took less than 6 yrs, and many took longer. And for anyone who does an MA first, it's generally 2 yrs for the MA and then another 4 yrs (at least) for the PhD.

I just googled "average time to complete PhD" and every article I found suggested that 5-8 years is pretty average:

interesting.  Perhaps it depends on the degree.  My son took 5 yrs and it seemed like that was the norm.  Any more was considered unusual.    I also wonder if it's changing and becoming longer.  That would make sense too

The audiology AUD program is 4 years of which the final year is a residency generally somewhere other than your school.  Many AUDs are hired where their 4th year residency is, which is why I encourage her to see what the possibility is of doing her 4th year at Walter Reed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, school17777 said:

If your dd decides to go to UofMD, let me know.  My niece is starting this semester as an older student (24) starting her engineering degree.  She has a pitbull and will not give it up.  Currently, she’s commuting from Annapolis - not sure what her plans are for the fall.

I will definitely get in touch with you if she ends up there!! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I don't know about audiology, but most PhD programs I'm familiar with won't accept you if they can't provide funding — and many people will say not to go into a program unless they offer full (or close to full) funding. At UCLA, teaching & research assistantships included tuition waivers, so the stipend was enough to cover living expenses as long as I lived fairly frugally. I did not have any loans.

that's encouraging. None of the programs she has applied to accept many students--hopefully this is why.

23 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Most professional doctorate programs, such as an AudD, PharmD, or MD, are for a set period of time, often four years, unless something takes a student off track. But PhD programs vary quite a bit more depending on field, school, and student. My husband finished his PhD in under five years, which at the time was considered very fast for both his field and his school. While his professional doctorate took exactly four years because that is how the program was structured for everyone. While some programs or advisors can develop a reputation for holding on to PhD students, it’s just as often due to the student not having yet completed the necessary or desired level of work. Failing qualifying exams can often set students back for a year. And original research does not always fit neatly into a set period of time. 

21 hours ago, Corraleno said:

While I think this is true for quality PhD programs and I would agree with the advice to not pursue one without full funding, full funding for professional doctorates is much rarer. The student paying for everything is very common for professional doctorates.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

interesting.  Perhaps it depends on the degree.  My son took 5 yrs and it seemed like that was the norm.  Any more was considered unusual.    I also wonder if it's changing and becoming longer.  That would make sense too

At least in the sciences, I think the opposite is actually happening. Compared to when my husband got his PhD, it seems that more programs are aiming to have students finish in five years and are not guaranteeing funding beyond that time, at least based on the recent experiences of several young people we know.

No advice on the program or whether it's right... but there are lots and lots of pit bull mixes in PG and DC. If her pit isn't full, then she might be okay. But finding a place for the dogs is going to be tough no matter the breed.

College Park itself is pricey and so is University Park... but certainly Hyattsville is more affordable or Greenbelt maybe... though getting less so. But generally if you're willing to drive a bit, you can definitely, with searching, find something in PG that's doable. However, if she looks west of College Park toward Montgomery County, that won't be the case unless she totally lucks out with a very unusual find. However, finding a deal on rent means going into a neighborhood that's not as polished, new, or gentrified as some folks might want. There are some fine areas out there where crime rates aren't that different from more "bring your parents to see your apartment" worthy neighborhoods. But they have more rundown shops, worse schools, etc. And there are some areas in PG like some parts of Hyattsville or Riverdale that genuinely aren't so great. So that's all just stuff to know.

• Like 1

We are at James Madison U until Sunday. DD interviewed here today (Friday 2/21). Last week she heard from U of M that she had been accepted into the AudD program there. They had 3 dates to offer for open houses: 2/28, 3/13, and 6/5. She can't do the March date. And the June date is useless because she has to decide by early April, so here we are. Last minute change of plans. We were only planning to be at JMU till Sunday and drive back home. Since we are only 2 hours away from Maryland (and 12 hours away from home), we have decided to just stay up here until the open house on the 28th at U of M. Her profs at her home school have been very encouraging and cooperative about her missing class next week. 

New concern: crime/safety. Any input on a single female living alone at U of M? 

On 1/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, Farrar said:

No advice on the program or whether it's right... but there are lots and lots of pit bull mixes in PG and DC. If her pit isn't full, then she might be okay. But finding a place for the dogs is going to be tough no matter the breed.

College Park itself is pricey and so is University Park... but certainly Hyattsville is more affordable or Greenbelt maybe... though getting less so. But generally if you're willing to drive a bit, you can definitely, with searching, find something in PG that's doable. However, if she looks west of College Park toward Montgomery County, that won't be the case unless she totally lucks out with a very unusual find. However, finding a deal on rent means going into a neighborhood that's not as polished, new, or gentrified as some folks might want. There are some fine areas out there where crime rates aren't that different from more "bring your parents to see your apartment" worthy neighborhoods. But they have more rundown shops, worse schools, etc. And there are some areas in PG like some parts of Hyattsville or Riverdale that genuinely aren't so great. So that's all just stuff to know.

thank you. This is very helpful for our plans to check out housing next week.

@popmommy personal opinion of UofMD College Park...party town. Campus population of 50k I think. It is fun for some, I suppose, as mentioned above, but for some others, not right for them. I don't think it is safe, but that is my opinion after knowing several kids who have attended and either left because they were overwhelmed or did see it through and graduated. I think it is expensive and I'm sorry I don't have any numbers or areas that I would even recommend. 

Hyattsville I don't think has gotten any safer and I definitely wouldn't suggest living there. Maryland is not the friendliest state either, I should know. I lived there most of my life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, popmom said:

We are at James Madison U until Sunday. DD interviewed here today (Friday 2/21). Last week she heard from U of M that she had been accepted into the AudD program there. They had 3 dates to offer for open houses: 2/28, 3/13, and 6/5. She can't do the March date. And the June date is useless because she has to decide by early April, so here we are. Last minute change of plans. We were only planning to be at JMU till Sunday and drive back home. Since we are only 2 hours away from Maryland (and 12 hours away from home), we have decided to just stay up here until the open house on the 28th at U of M. Her profs at her home school have been very encouraging and cooperative about her missing class next week. 

New concern: crime/safety. Any input on a single female living alone at U of M? 

DD did her undergrad, SLP, at JMU. The cost of living will be much cheaper then U of M. Unless there is a professor she really wants to work with or another very compelling reason to go to U of M, I’d encourage the less expensive option. Our DD thought briefly of applying to grad school there. Once she looked at the cost, commute time etc, she didn’t even bother. Good luck with the decision.🌺

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gaillardia said:

@popmommy personal opinion of UofMD College Park...party town. Campus population of 50k I think. It is fun for some, I suppose, as mentioned above, but for some others, not right for them. I don't think it is safe, but that is my opinion after knowing several kids who have attended and either left because they were overwhelmed or did see it through and graduated. I think it is expensive and I'm sorry I don't have any numbers or areas that I would even recommend. 

Hyattsville I don't think has gotten any safer and I definitely wouldn't suggest living there. Maryland is not the friendliest state either, I should know. I lived there most of my life.

I know many families living in cute neighborhoods where they feel safe in College Park, University Park, and Hyattsville. I don’t know when you were last there, but Hyattsville is really different from what it was like a decade ago.

It’s always hard for me to know what to say when people proclaim that neighborhoods that look like mine or my friends’ are unsafe or unlivable. I don’t know if it’s been made clear or not, but most of PG County is majority black and it often feels like pure bias to me, though I’m sure that’s not the intent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My daughter lived in a house off campus for 2yrs.  It wasn't the best neighborhood, but there was also a lot of other campus houses on the street.  It's been 11yrs so YMMV.   She was fine and never had an incident.   She was about a mile down University Blvd and lived on the bus line for university students.  I think most of PG county is hit or miss like many other counties.  The cheapest housing is going to come with the most problems.    Currently, I have 2 of my kids living in PG county.    Often, with any college, the housing near colleges can be an issue.  Not just UofMD..    My impression is that Hyattsville is becoming a place to move to.   Parts of University Park is beautiful.  My son has a high school friend who lives there.  Parts of Laurel are quite nice - esp. old towne Laurel where my daughter lives.  Also, Beltsville is on the border with PG and MoCo.  Tacoma Park is another option.  

I have a son and DIL who lived in a very poor part of philly when he was in grad school.  I was very concerned about their safety.   We even offered to pay for them to live in a better area.  1/2 the row houses were boarded up.  One thing that they told us is a sign of a safe neighborhood (is any neighborhood REALLY fully safe?) is that if there are people walking on the streets (walking dogs, kids biking) it's a good sign the neighborhood is okay.  

I know it's so hard to be from out of town and figure out what is safest for our kids.  Hugs.  I hope you find something you can all be comfortable with.  

• Like 4

WaPo's guide to the gentrified arts stuff and restaurants in and around Hyattsville:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/how-hyattsville-became-the-hip-new-food-and-arts-destination-outside-washington/2017/08/02/489ae0c0-722f-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

There definitely are some less safe parts of those communities adjacent to College Park and in College Park itself... While there are more suburban feeling pockets, it's got a very urban vibe because of the density. If someone isn't comfortable living in an urban area in general, then they won't like it, end story. But then College Park isn't the right school for that person.

• Like 3