Menu

-

alisoncooks

I wouldn't expect a family to have a huge party when they had people in their air bnb room. And if make sure to mention that in your review. Also mention that there was no separate entrance and that should have been made clear in the description. But don't forget to mention the nice things about it if it's not a terrible experience.

• Like 5

Unless a separate entrance was explicitely stated in the description, I would expect a room in a person's home to be reached through the house. I do not find that unusual.

I recently rented a room in an apartment via airbnb. The host's bedroom was in the apartment, and it was eerie not to know whether she was there or not. The first night I never figured out whether I was alone in the apartment or not. The second, I heard her in the morning.

If the party is loud and goes late, I would mention it in the review. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, alisoncooks said:

The listing says:  "Private entrance, Separate street or building entrance."  🤔 I'll make note of the actual entrance situation in my review. 

Yes, please do that.  Also,  I have never used air bnb, but 34 years ago, when dh and I took our belated honeymoon trip, we stayed in a b&b that was a bedroom and bath in a woman's apartment in Montreal.  We knew what we were renting and the lady was quiet and no other visitors at all.   Accurate descriptions are essential.  

One reason we haven't used airbnb yet, is that unlike traditional b%b and most vacation rentals which the owners treat as a s business so they normally operate under normal lodging business standards, i.e. customer is king: many of the airbnb stories I hear involve hosts who do not think of it as a business but just as a way to make extra money.  They do things like have parties while paying guests are in their property, and many other issues that show they are not serious lodging business people but have it as a tangential way to make some cash.

• Like 2

That is frustrating. I have several friends who do AirBnB and/or VRBO, and they would never do something like that. One got their 1920's house in the historical area in the divorce. She rents out two of the rooms and is very, very careful about noise and her own choices. She says it's a bit invasive, but it brings in enough for her to pay the mortgage and upkeep. She blocks out certain days for herself and friends/family. 

• Like 2

I'm glad it worked out ok. That was a brave choice for your first rental. We stayed all over Europe and in St. Louis, without issue. We stayed in apartments/condos/flats that people either just used for AirBnB or had other places to stay and weren't there. In Dublin, however, we only needed a place to sleep I think we were there less than 8 hrs so I went with a room w/ a private bathroom as it was cheaper. The entrance was the main entrance for the house but it was no big deal, we got there after people were asleep and left before they were up. They did have a set of rules to follow- like take off shoes before entering, you can use this space but not this, and quiet hours which weren't too big of a deal, it was just annoying that there were 500 reminders of the rules. Rome was the only location we even saw our host, who was perfectly lovely, and it was interesting experience to get to talk to her and her boyfriend. 

• Like 1

Our first experience with air B and B was a nightmare.  It was for a family reunion in San Jose .  There were 10 of us staying there. Nothing was as advertised but the deal killer was that it was filthy. Absolutely disgustingly filthy. We all talked it over and decided that if we could get a reduction of 50% we would spend the HOURS needed by all 10 of us to clean it.  The owner declined. We all scrambled...part of us stayed with a sibling nearby, part of us went to a hotel for that first night.  We were able to find another place for the rest of the week.  it was fine.  More expensive though.   We called the 800 number and got our money back on the nightmare house.   Very easily I might add. So they do stand behind their name.  I am sure our pictures helped.  

Second experience in Hot Springs AR on the lake was a dream.  The house was gorgeous, as advertised and sparkling clean.  Outfitted with a full kitchen, very nice everything.  We would definitely go back there.  Owners were very quick to answer any question.  

Except  for big groups, I still prefer a regular hotel.  

• Like 1

I've had good luck with Airbnb - you do have to read descriptions.

even with a separate entrance, the owner can enter.

my dsil stayed in a room in a private home while they were moving, and before their apartment was ready for them to move-in.  he had very good luck, but it was an older couple.

I had looked at an Airbnb for 2dd when she was visiting.  some of them were in occupied homes (one was a huge house).

• Like 1

We've used AirBnB once in Washington, DC and once in the Outer Banks. We also used VRBO in Norfolk. We have had good experiences every time. I do read the reviews very carefully, and I only rent entire houses. I don't think I would be comfortable sharing a home with strangers, even if we had a separate entrance. But since the listing indicated a separate entrance I'd be sure to point that out in your feedback and review. 

• Like 2