Menu

Favorite building toys for toddlers?

Farrar

My brother says that I should get the nephews (who are almost 2 and 3.5 yo) some building toys for Christmas. The older one is whip smart and has good motor skills for his age for stuff like that. Like, he could put together a wooden train track, I'm sure. Or build a decent block tower. The younger one doesn't try to eat everything anymore and rarely tries to peg you in the head with it anymore. So, progress.

Favorites? Ideas? Anything new that's out there now?

We loved the Haba Ball Track... but for a family that's not excited about it, it's a lot to spend.
We also loved our Kapla Blocks (I still have both of these things - the Haba and the Kaplas)... but I'm not sure if they're a bit too small and shouldn't wait for that. Or if they might not be flashy enough.
I got them a set of Magnatiles last year and they were a hit. I could do more of them, I guess?
I considered starting them on a wooden train track... but I'm not sure if it would be "the thing" ya know? But they do like cars and tracks and don't have one yet.

Edited by Farrar

Maybe they've stepped on too many Legos in their time?

When the kids were little I really wanted those Waldorfy natural blocks that aren't cubes and look like you just cut them off the tree, but the kids never did quite enough block play to justify the cost and the shelf space. Say what you want about Waldorf schools, sometimes their toys are really cute.

• Like 1

My kids (ages 1-6) play daily with MagnaTiles paired with small plastic animals from Target.  As in, almost daily for at least 2+ years.

We have two sets of bristle blocks that also get played with frequently.  Very good for making vehicles/people/robots, less good for structures.

Our classic wooden blocks get played with if I have them displayed right, but still get ditched for the Magnatiles.

We are recently into Plus Plus blocks.  I keep them in my bag for being out and about.  They have a large size that would work for those ages.  My almost two is definitely frustrated by the little ones right now, and my 3.5 is only just getting the hang of them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, parent said:

We have magformers, not magna tiles.  My kids don't play with these often.  ETA: I never bought magnatiles because a local children's museum has them and they never play with them.  I went with magformers as they seemed to have more options.

ETA:  My kids still also play with unit blocks, I had a couple of the Melissa and Doug sets.  

On the Magformers, they aren’t as popular here as Magnatiles, but we have a lot more Magnatiles? I bought a car/robot kit for Magformers this year for our 5yo and I’m hopeful it will be a hit. We have the wheels for Magnatiles and I was surprised at his reaction of meh. He’s a wheels kinda guy. 

Tegu. If $$ was no option, Tegu blocks are my perfect idea. I will second the M&D unit blocks. We had a set from when M&D first gained popularity and my other option was expensive Lakeshore. Those blocks saw a lot of play. I just bought a set for my grandson for Christmas!

• Like 1

I would definitely vote add to the magnatiles. Wheels, different shapes, clear, glitter... there's all kinds of expansion packs out there now. And the bigger they get the bigger and more complicated stuff they'll want to build. 

If they have room for it, a light table or light board might also be a cool gift to use with the magnatiles they already have.

• Like 2

Magformers.  My 3 yo has played with these a ton since he was about 2.5.  My 6, 9, and 11 yo’s still love them.  If I had to pick only one toy those are what I’d pick.  If your nephews already have and enjoy Magnatiles, I’d say get more of those.

Or maybe some of those big cardboard blocks for building houses.  

My boys loved Duplos and then Legos when they got old enough, but for whatever reason wooden train tracks, Lincoln logs, and wooden blocks never really caught on here.  They’d get some, play with them for a bit, lose interest, and they’d get scattered everywhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

My brother says that I should get the nephews (who are almost 2 and 3.5 yo) some building toys for Christmas. The older one is whip smart and has good motor skills for his age for stuff like that. Like, he could put together a wooden train track, I'm sure. Or build a decent block tower. The younger one doesn't try to eat everything anymore and rarely tries to peg you in the head with it anymore. So, progress.

Favorites? Ideas? Anything new that's out there now?

We loved the Haba Ball Track... but for a family that's not excited about it, it's a lot to spend.
We also loved our Kapla Blocks (I still have both of these things - the Haba and the Kaplas)... but I'm not sure if they're a bit too small and shouldn't wait for that. Or if they might not be flashy enough.
I got them a set of Magnatiles last year and they were a hit. I could do more of them, I guess?
I considered starting them on a wooden train track... but I'm not sure if it would be "the thing" ya know? But they do like cars and tracks and don't have one yet.

Duplo blocks with the duplo animals and trains (the duplos with the wheels) were my kids favorite!

• Like 1

My dc loved (and still do) the larger size plus plus blocks.  The ages of my youngest dc are 3 and 5.  My ds8 still plays with them, and dd10 and dd12 still make things out of them occasionally, esp. to make things to supplement their play with others toys.  Dd10 and dd12 have requested the smaller ones to make more intricate items. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Maybe they've stepped on too many Legos in their time?

When the kids were little I really wanted those Waldorfy natural blocks that aren't cubes and look like you just cut them off the tree, but the kids never did quite enough block play to justify the cost and the shelf space. Say what you want about Waldorf schools, sometimes their toys are really cute.

If you have someone near you take down a hardwood tree, you can make some nice ones by cutting a few branches up and sanding the surfaces. I have a nice set of hardwood rhythm sticks and a few log drums (big chunks, hollowed out on one side) that came from an oak that got blown down-the kids always find it amazing that we are making music with pieces of a tree. 

• Like 2