Menu

Sweet potatoes--anyone have a good recipe?

I usually make Sweet Potato Souffle but am feeling disenchanted with it this year. It's VERY high in sugar and ds cannot have it because the recipe includes milk. Does anyone have a recipe without milk that is not so high in sugar?

I've got the sweet potato chunks boiling on the stove right now--I grew disenchanted AFTER peeling and cutting, LOL. So I guess the recipe will also have to be some form of mashed potato casserole or some such.

Thanks!

I just cut mine up and put them in the crockpot with part of a can of pineapple chunks and some brown sugar and cinnamon. I have used a little orange juice instead of the canned pineapple with good results too. It is really easy and everyone loves them.

I have some baking right now and they are filling the air with their perfume.

I bake them in their skins until they are bubbly soft and their natural sugars caramelize a bit. Then I cut them and serve.

No butter, no added sugar, no mashing...just bake till good and soft. That is how they are best!

Bill

Sweet Potato Souffle! It was such a hit that my family asks me to bring it every year.

2 c. sweet potato, boiled and mashed

1 c. sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

3/4 c. butter

1/2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients for souffle and pour into baking dish. Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

TOPPING:

1 c. packed brown sugar

1/3 c. flour

1 c. chopped pecans

1/4 c. melted butter

Combine.

when I do them in the crockpot, I don't add any water, I just peel them (they are more healthy with the peel on, but everyone else likes them peeled) cut them into chunks and put them in with a small can of pineapple or a few teaspoons of orange juice. -and the brown sugar of course. I think they would be nice with some raisins if you like them. I put them on high for about 4 hours or so.

I had the combo of sweet potatoes and pineapple for the first time last weekend--it's like dessert! I couldn't believe how wonderful it is!!!

In the future, you might just try baking them with the turkey (next to, not in the same pan). If you soak them for a few hours in salted water, they bake up more fluffy, more like a white potato.

I do a variation on the pineapple crock pot recipe. I boil the sp with skin on. Slide skins off when cooked, slice into 1/4 in slices. I melt some earth balance and add some brown sugar then the 14.5 oz can of unsweetened crushed pineapple (over med heat). I layer the sliced sp and the pineapple mixture in a baking dish then heat on 350 until bubbly. YUM!

Our family's favorite:

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pecans

3lbs sweet potatoes, boiled & mashed

2 eggs, beaten

½ stick butter

½ cup half-and-half

¼ cup butter, softened

¼ cup all-purpose flour

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 cup pecans, chopped

• Combine potatoes, eggs, ½ stick of butter, and half-and-half. Add to prepared pan.
  • Combine softened butter, flour, sugar, and pecans with fingers and sprinkle on top of potatoes.
  • Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Sweet Potatoes Khmer:

Mix 5 Cups (approx.) mashed sweet potatoes with 1 8oz. can of crushed pineapple (drained, but save juice) and 2 diced cooking apples.

Make Syrup:

In a small sauce pan melt 3 T butter (I use Nucoa because of ds), then add 1/3 C of brown sugar and stir up smooth. Add pineapple juice and 1/2 C water; continue to stir. Add 1 tsp. of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. of ginger. Pour half of the syrup into the sweet potatoe mixture and blend by hand.

Spoon potatoe mixture into a greased pan. Add 1/2 C chopped pecans to the remaining syrup, stir, then spread on top of the potatoe mixture. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 min.

I play around with the spices and toppings each year. I make this the day before Thanksgiving and then reheat it on T-Day.

I have some baking right now and they are filling the air with their perfume.

I bake them in their skins until they are bubbly soft and their natural sugars caramelize a bit. Then I cut them and serve.

No butter, no added sugar, no mashing...just bake till good and soft. That is how they are best!

Bill

I can smell those from here, Bill. Very nice! What else are you making?

because my husband thinks the standard sweet potato casserole is evil incarnate;).

Cut up the sweet potatoes (peel or not) and toss with a little olive oil with garlic, rosemary, thyme, garlic and salt, then roast. Or treat them like mashed potatoes with the same added seasonings (but this involves dairy at our house).

Here are two I just found on Sonlight but have not tried yet:

Melanie's Sweet Potato Casserole

4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes or yams

juice and zest of one orange

1/2 c real maple syrup

1/4 t. nutmeg

1/4 t. cinnamon

1/8 t. cloves

Sprinkle top with pecan pieces and/or unsweetened coconut if desired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another sweet potato dish:

Melanie's Sweet Potato Apple Bake

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced, steamed until soft

4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced

1/2 c. fresh cranberries

1/4 c. real maple syrup

zest & juice of one orange

1 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Layer cooked sweet potato slices and apple slices into greased baking dish. Sprinkle fresh cranberries on top. Mix together the maple syrup, orange juice, zest, cinnamon, and salt and pour over sweet potatoes, cranberries, and apples. Bake for 30 min or until the apples are done.

If you do it in the crockpot, be sure the sweet potatoes are cooked first. It should only take 4 hours or less on low.