Menu

Student drivers and insurance

maize

It may differ state to state.

in my state (Oregon) it is definitely required.  

Our insurer added Ds at no extra charge (there will be a charge once he has DL, also might be if he were involved in an accident or had a moving violation before DL) .  I good friend’s dd also was added to their policy at no charge during LP time—but that probably depends on the insurance company, and maybe even family claim history. 

Being added complies with our state law.  Also if something were to happen whether while practicing with me or during a behind the wheel class we would be covered or covered on top of the Driver Training program. 

• Like 1

I'd call and ask your insurance agent. Ours (Texas) told us to call when they actually got their license for the first one. For the second one, they added her name to the little insurance cards, but our cost did not go up until she actually got her license. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

While you have them on the phone, go ahead and ask them if they offer a good driver discount for grades (if applicable) and what type of documentation you need for those grades once they have the license assuming said child is homeschooled.

Our old insurance, Farmers, was super low key about it. State Farm is not because they are anti-homeschool grades and their other allowed proof is the SAT she isn't taking because there is no need  (if she were in the top 10% then she'd get the discount).......so I am gearing up to bring in THSC and possibly my own lawyer because that discount is significant over time and she's a straight A student. They're half the price of Farmers, so I can't really leave the sandbox and go back there. But it's really pretty discriminating against homeschoolers, as they consider good grades for the discount a "B" average in public school which on no planet corresponds to the top 10% of the SAT as far as difficulty to achieve, but I digress.......Anyway, it's just good to know so you can gather what you need. 

Agree.

adding I suggest also ask about other possible discounts...

Eg: Driver Ed, Nonsmoker, and convey the info  to the teen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Do you have the option of a tracker/black box being fitted to the car for young drivers? It made a huge difference to the affordability of our insurance:https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/how-does-black-box-insurance-work/#/targetText=Telematics policies in detail,by monitoring braking and cornering.

I can look into this, I don't think our insurance company does it and I don't really want to switch (we have USAA and they have always been really good to work with). I need to consider all options thought because our insurance will almost double once she has her license according to the quote they gave me.

They said they could put her on the policy at no cost for now and it would help build her driving history.

She'll be a careful driver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

I can look into this, I don't think our insurance company does it and I don't really want to switch (we have USAA and they have always been really good to work with). I need to consider all options thought because our insurance will almost double once she has her license according to the quote they gave me.

They said they could put her on the policy at no cost for now and it would help build her driving history.

Mine quadrupled with Hobbes put on one car, but it's been cut in half now due to the black box driving data (mostly my driving!)

• Like 2

DS was on our policy when he had his permit but they only started charging extra when he got licensed. Our premiums doubled, even with his good student discount, having taken drivers ed, etc. He also took a defensive driving course, but our insurance didn’t consider that in discounting. I’d hate to think how much more expensive it would be if he had his own car. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maize said:

Basically same here other than that our state requires, but same situation for insurance of no charge and it helps build safe driving history.  

We are also with USAA - if you learn anything, please share.

a current thread re apps mentions black box insurance in UK.

I found this: https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/advice-auto-usaa-and-honda-team-up-to-develop-driver-coaching-app

we were leaning towards AWD Subaru, but could be that this would be significant to weigh in...  I have a Honda, but way too old for apps afaik.  

apparently USAA gives rate discounts for vehicles under 3 years old (I think to encourage safety features and a change from when putting teen in a very old car with little value was cheapest by far) something I read said.   Things change so fast it is hard to keep up.  I looked at a lot of info when Ds was 16 thinking it would all be imminently relevant, but he now won’t get DL until almost 18yo at earliest — due to getting late LP and waiting time from LP to DL rules in our state.   

• Like 1

In our state, it is expected that you would contact your insurance company and let them know your child has her permit. That is what we did. Our kids were put on our policy with their learner's permits, but we were not charged more because they did not have their licenses yet.

We actually kept them on their learner's permits (their choice, too) up until a few weeks before they left for college. When they tested and received their licenses, they just did not drive for the remaining couple of weeks before leaving for school. We notified the insurance company of their new licenses. Because they went/go to school far away (150+miles), they were and are covered under our infrequent driver insurance when they are home. It was a way for our family to save some money and worked great for all of us.

NOTE: I would advise you contact your insurance company directly. Each company and each policy varies -- some policies do not include infrequent driver coverage. Usually you have to call to find this out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

It is so interesting  how much insurance is for some of you guys.  My 18 year old dss has a 2006 Toyota Corolla and it only costs us about $40 a month to insure him.  And he can drive an of our vehicles.  

I don't even want to know what insurance will run when my now 15 year old is able to drive here in CA.

Keeps me awake at night.

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I saw a website with what y’all’s average rates are across companies back when I was price shopping and it’s insane. I think you definitely win the price contest in CA. I don’t know how people afford it. 

I think it is fair to say that CA has traditionally been associated with "car culture." Certainly in my day. Then, when one turned 15 1/2--that very day--one hit the DMV for a permit, even if it meant ditching school. Sacrosanct. 

Drivers Ed was a core public school subject.

Now? If students want drivers ed (required for a license) one needs to go private. Insurance is insane, and kids can't drive "cheap" cars like we did because the cost on insurance is higher on older cars due to lack of advanced safety features. And--besides the money--many kids either don't care about driving or actively don't wish to drive.

So parents cart them around or they use Uber/Lyft. It would be an exaggeration to say no high schoolers drive. They do. But usually late-model vehicles and in much smaller numbers than back in "the olden days."

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2