Menu

When to take sick cat to vet

Scarlett

She is not herself this morning. She usually races me to the kitchen at 6 am demanding to be fed. She just got off our bed and would not leave our bedroom. I carried her to her food but she would not eat or drink.

I have things I have to do outside the house this morning. I will be home later and can take her to the vet then.  Would you? I hate to take her in for a little tummy ache. . 

Cats don't take sick easily, so their illness is always worth a little concern.

She's letting you interact with her, not hiding under the bed? Has she had any symptoms of respiratory illness, such as sneezing, coughing, watery eyes? Is she uncoordinated or dopey looking when she moves around? DOES she move around?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd lean toward taking her in. Cats are stoic. By the time you notice signs of not feeling well it's often been going on longer than you think, and they're often sicker than you think.

With the weird eyes -- definitely take her in.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If the illness is causing a physical sign like weepy eyes, and she's not willing to move around at all, definitely take her in. Illnesses like that move fast, and she's clearly been struggling a few days before now, you just didn't put the pieces together.

To be honest, I'd actually consider re-ordering my day to take her in sooner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

If the illness is causing a physical sign like weepy eyes, and she's not willing to move around at all, definitely take her in. Illnesses like that move fast, and she's clearly been struggling a few days before now, you just didn't put the pieces together.

I am already gone, but should be home in a few hours 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Agree!

• Like 1

Get her in.  If she is bad enough that you can see she is "off" she could be really sick.  Last Sunday dh and I were walking out the door to church, glanced at one of our cats and called the vet.  He was "off".   Just off.   Turned out he had a high fever and we thought we were going to lose him.  If we had waited we might have.

• Sad 3

I had to leave her over night.  She is very sick.  Dehydrated.  Fever.  Very nauseous which is why she isn’t eating or drinking.  No sign of a bite, or blockage....so she probably just got in to something that made her sick.  I will call in the morning to see how she is.  

I pray they made her sleepy so she isn’t scared.  😞

• Sad 6

Thanks everyone to telling me to take her in ASAP.  I rushed through my errands a fast as possible so I could get back in time to take her in.  If I had not asked you all about it I probably would not have made such an effort to get back in time. 

• Like 4

Scarlett, if you have any plants in your house, be sure to let the vet know what they are. One of our cats once ate part of a philodendron plant and got deathly ill from it. She recovered, but her symptoms were very similar to what happened to your kitty. I hadn’t remembered that until this morning because it happened many years ago, so I’m sorry I didn’t mention it until now. 

Still praying for your cat! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Scarlett, if you have any plants in your house, be sure to let the vet know what they are. One of our cats once ate part of a philodendron plant and got deathly ill from it. She recovered, but her symptoms were very similar to what happened to your kitty. I hadn’t remembered that until this morning because it happened many years ago, so I’m sorry I didn’t mention it until now. 

Still praying for your cat! 

Thanks Cat, no plants in my house.  But she is often outside so maybe she ate a plant that was poisonous to her.  I just spoke to the vet and my kitty is eating and drinking now, so I can pick her up this afternoon around 4:30.  

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thanks Cat, no plants in my house.  But she is often outside so maybe she ate a plant that was poisonous to her.  I just spoke to the vet and my kitty is eating and drinking now, so I can pick her up this afternoon around 4:30.  

Yay!!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yay! I’m so relieved to hear that she’s feeling better! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaBelle said:

Cats do this and not infrequently.  Vets just call it Fever of Unknown Origin.   You treat the symptoms and wait.  So glad your kitteh is better.  We just went through this with dh's fav cat.

Do you think she would have died if I didn’t take her in? I grew up with animals and never remember taking a cat in because they wouldn’t eat.  

18 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Do you think she would have died if I didn’t take her in? I grew up with animals and never remember taking a cat in because they wouldn’t eat.  

Cats that don't eat die, yes. They go into liver failure if they go more than 48 hours without eating. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

It’s hard to say, but she might have died. Things can happen very quickly, and it’s better not to take any chances.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Well $242 and she is back to herself.  With instructions to cut her food waaaay back.  She gained 4 pounds since I got her just a few months ago.  

The costs do add up!  I just took Kitten #10 in to the vet for a well check before I let her in with GenPop.  I found her in town starving and no one to claim her.  I try to keep my numbers under 10 but I'm not leaving a kitten behind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

The costs do add up!  I just took Kitten #10 in to the vet for a well check before I let her in with GenPop.  I found her in town starving and no one to claim her.  I try to keep my numbers under 10 but I'm not leaving a kitten behind.

My good friend works for this vet and she constantly gets calls to trap and rescue stray kittens.  They have a deal worked out with Petco, they rent out their cages and sell them for the cost of the spay or neuter.  So if they run out of room at Petco or the vets office they can't take more.  Theoretically.  😉

• Haha 1