Menu

For those with campers....

kfeusse

I don't drink the water from the faucet, but I do use the toilet in all the ways it's intended. 😀  It's just like a toilet in the house, really.

When I first got married, my DH had a tiny Winebago, and it had an old chemical toilet.  We didn't use that one much for anything, only emergencies. Toilets have come a long way since then.

Yes, we drink from our faucet. But we also sterilize our fresh water lines and fresh water holding tank at least a couple of times a year. We also use the tank correctly--we keep it completely full (as much as practicable when using it) or completely empty. My understanding is that partially full (when a lot of air is also in the tank along with water) is the worst for growing muck. We also are as careful as possible about only putting water in it from municipal sources. If we have to put in some well water we make sure to dump it as soon as possible.

Yes, we do #2 in our toilet.

Drink from the faucet - yes. I mean, usually we carry bottled water but we use the water for brushing teeth and cooking and such. I hadn't thought about it. 

Toilet - yes. Unless there's a lot of us and we're there for long enough to fill the blackwater tank. Then we try and get a site near-ish bathrooms for that. But air freshener is a must (small space) and camper walls are *thin.* Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If, not in the camper we would go in the bath houses. Does your mind change whether or not you have full hook ups? My husband is a bit grossed out, I guess, by the idea of us using the toilet in all its ways, without full hook ups.... So it would all just be sitting there until we dumped.

8 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

If, not in the camper we would go in the bath houses. Does your mind change whether or not you have full hook ups? My husband is a bit grossed out, I guess, by the idea of us using the toilet in all its ways, without full hook ups.... So it would all just be sitting there until we dumped.

We always get full hook ups, just for convenience. But you really shouldn’t dump your black tank until it’s close to full. You can add water to it if necessary. If you dump when there’s just a little in it there’s not enough force/pressure to get it all out. You should also always add a gallon or so (depending on size of tank) of water after each dump.

You also want to have a goodly amount in your gray tank before dumping the black. The gray water washes out the dump hose. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

The only reason I want a travel trailer is FOR the bathroom, lol, so I don’t really relate. I don’t want to share facilities with randos if I don’t have to.   😉

To me, that’s just what the tank is there for. But I say that as someone who doesn’t much mind outhouses or composting toilets, which I think of as much more “there” than a black water tank. 

• Like 2

We did not drink water from the faucet.  We used it for washing hands etc and washing dishes.

We had a portable toilet that we only brought out at night.  The rule was that unless it was an emergency, there would be no pooping in it.  That said, on the occasions when a person did have an emergency, emptying it wasn't a big deal.

57 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

So, if you don't fill the black tank, you shouldn't dump? Even if you aren't going camping again for a while? Or in that case, you don't use the black tank? 

You should dump. But if possible you would run some water into the black tank to get it closer to full rather than trying to dump a very small amount. Think of a sink that has just a little water in it versus one that’s full of water. When you pull the stopper out the one that’s full drains with more force. That’s what you want for your black tank. 

We use the bathroom for all of its intended purposes!   We rarely camp with full hookups so it all goes into the tank.  That said, during the day if we’re camped in a place with clean outhouses, we generally use the outhouse during the day.  

Dumping - we generally camp every couple of weeks in the summer so we don’t dump until the tank is relatively full.  If it’s going to be longer than a couple of weeks before we take the trailer out again, we dump the tanks no matter full they are.

Anne

Jumping in here to hijack just a little. Anyone ever had a small camper with a cassette toilet? Just curious what the general consensus is with those. 

I'm looking to buy a very small camper just to take my grandkids on some trips. We would use facilities when available, and if they were clean, but the camper I'm looking at has a wet bath, so it would be nice for the middle of the night for sure.

The toilet is a cassette toilet, which, honestly, for me to be doing alone, seems a bit more practical and simple, but I really have no clue since this will be new for me.

We don’t currently have a camper 😪, but when we did yes and yes.

the water that we put in the tank is the same water we drink every day. There are videos on YouTube that show how to sanitize the fresh water tank.

when we stayed at a place with decent public restrooms, we will use the public bathrooms just to have a little more space, and the public showers usually have more hot water.

Yes and yes. We added an extra water filter so I feel better about it. We generally drink from bottled water, but we use the faucet water for brushing teeth, washing dishes, etc. For the toilet, I'm a stickler about toilet cleanliness so I clean out the tank after every camping trip. It takes about 15 minutes using one of those toilet wand blasters. I know most people only use it at the end of the season, but I'm worried about smells. Everyone tells me it's overkill, but I'm okay with that.