Menu

Is Apple TV any good?

1GirlTwinBoys

I really want to get rid of Spectrum for our cable needs and just keep for internet because of the high prices!  We currently have Netflix and regular Hulu but I'm unsure of exactly what I need to do. We're very much into tv and movie watching so any suggestions?  How do you get realgar tv?  

BTW, we do NOT have a Smart Tv currently.

I have an Apple TV and a Roku.  I like them both.  Both allow me to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.   You can use Hulu Live or one of those types of services for 'live' tv if you wish but I am perfectly happy with just Netflix and Hulu.   

The television the Apple TV is hooked up to is a Smart TV  but Smart TVs can actually be limited as they do not always have access to all the 'apps' as Hulu, Amazon, Sling, etc has to make an app for each and every Smart TV and they just can't do it.  For instance, Roku, Apple TV have the CBS All Access app, but my Smart TV does not.   So I would stick to either a Roku, Apple TV or a Firestick over a Smart TV.  

About the only advantage I see with the Apple TV is that I can also access my iTunes music but I have only turned it on a handful of times to stream my music in the main room.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.  

Edited by ZiMom

The Roku has a spectrum app that will allow you to watch all their channels, which would allow you to get rid of the cable box. If you're paying $15 a month per box, that might bring your bill down some. When I looked into cutting our (overpriced, inflated, outrageous) spectrum cable but keeping internet, it wasn't really going to save us that much. See. Maybe with some slimming of your channels and tossing the box you can get there. Are you renting your modem or did you buy? That's another place to save money.

I am a big Apple fan in general, but I HATED our Apple TV with a passion. The remote was awful to use, the interface was clunky, and it didn't do anything useful that my Roku didn't do but was a lot more expensive. We finally ditched it for a second Roku in the master bedroom and put the Apple TV downstairs in the kids' playroom. We will replace it with a new Roku when it finally dies.

I would recommend a Roku or Firestick over the Apple.

I thought you had to have a smart TV for any of those to work?

We have YouTubeTV and a Roku.  DH wanted sports, and that was better for sports.  But I love all the channels, there are quite a bit.  Locals, plus BBC, TNT, FX, NatGEO... etc.  We love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

I am a big Apple fan in general, but I HATED our Apple TV with a passion. The remote was awful to use, the interface was clunky, and it didn't do anything useful that my Roku didn't do but was a lot more expensive. We finally ditched it for a second Roku in the master bedroom and put the Apple TV downstairs in the kids' playroom. We will replace it with a new Roku when it finally dies.

I would recommend a Roku or Firestick over the Apple.

No roku, but we have the same thoughts with our apple tv.
Whoever thought a single button, 3-inch long remote was a good idea should be taken out and shot.  That thing gets lost more often in our house.  I'm about ready to cover it with glow in the dark paint so I can find it.

• Like 1

Living in a completely Apple/Mac universe I'd have paid the premium for an Apple TV (particularly so we could easily stream to the TV from our Mac and iDevices).

BUT Apple--in a move that I can not comprehend--removed the audio outputs (optical and mini) from the current generation Apple TVs. So no hooking up stereo receivers though RCA cables. HDMI is the only port. 

We got a Firestick for sale at $16 with same day shipping just before Christmas, as the HULU app had just stopped working on our Panasonic plasma (no longer supported) and my wife likes her shows. Great deal at that price. At 39.99? No so sure.

Bill

I do agree with the others that I detest the Apple TV remote.  It has taken me forever to get comfortable with it.  I just assumed it was an 'older person' issue LOL.  My teenage daughter has no difficulty using it at all.   The remote for my Roku is very easy to use.   

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

I thought you had to have a smart TV for any of those to work?

We have an Apple TV on a non smart tv in our workout room. We only use it for Zwift and YouTube workouts. I think it's a pain to use; I think we got free as some promotion or another.  As with most Apple products, I would never pay full price for it. There are better products for less.

• Like 1

We like our Apple TV but have nothing else to compare it to. We have an older tv that we run it through. It's convenient for watching Prime, Hulu, Netflix.  I also mirror a lot of stuff for school on it. The remote is small -- but there's an apple remote app so when the remote is missing (lost in a couch crack likely) I just use my phone for it. (Don't know that I'd pay full price; bought ours second hand.)

2 hours ago, goldberry said:

We have YouTubeTV and a Roku.  DH wanted sports, and that was better for sports.  But I love all the channels, there are quite a bit.  Locals, plus BBC, TNT, FX, NatGEO... etc.  We love it.

Ditto. We've had YouTubeTV for almost a year now and are very happy with it.

• Like 1

Love the Apple TV. Love the Apple remote, much more than any remote (I didn't know this was an issue, interesting!). Other remotes and me: all of those darn buttons and I always choose the wrong menu and then I'm in Settings and trying to get out you should push OK not Exit?? This doesn't happen with the Apple remote, lol. Also searches are easy to do on Apps or Netflix, Prime, etc., since you can use the voice feature to 'type' in what you're looking for. 

It's the only device we have for movies etc. So I can't compare to others. But it does what we need without fuss. We do use it to hook up to our computers regularly for various things so that's with we went with Apple over anything else. 

Also i like the background pictures they choose for when you aren't using the TV but the Apple TV is on, lol. I have been known to turn it on just for those 😉

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

Also i like the background pictures they choose for when you aren't using the TV but the Apple TV is on, lol. I have been known to turn it on just for those 😉

Haha. Just the other day, my 10 year old asked me which Apple TV screen saver picture was my favorite.