Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW9: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week nine in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time,  and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Join me in celebrating the anniversary of the birth of the poet, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,  born February 27, 1807.  

A Psalm of Life

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world’s broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!

Trust no Future, howe’er pleasant!
Let the dead Past bury its dead!
Act,— act in the living Present!
Heart within, and God o’erhead!

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o’er life’s solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait. 

What are you reading?

Link to week eight

• Like 10

I seem to be in a fluffy contemporary romance mood theses days.   I completed a reread of Nora Robert's Northern Lights

Roxanne St. Claire's Old Dog New Tricks, #9 in her Dogfather series is up next

"Daniel Kilcannon, the veterinarian known as the Dogfather, has been widowed for four years. He's spent the time running the largest canine rescue and training facility in North Carolina and pulling some strings to make sure each of his six grown children find a love like the one he lost when his beloved Annie died. But as the years slip by, Daniel's vow to never love again is starting to make him restless. When a woman who was pivotal to his past arrives in Bitter Bark, he wonders if her appearance is coincidence or the guiding hand of his dearly departed wife...but the truth is neither. She's about to change his life again in ways he could never have imagined. And Daniel isn't sure if his heart -- or his family -- will ever recover from the impact.

Like every other book in this popular series, the cover of Old Dog New Tricks was shot at Alaqua Animal Refuge in the author’s home state of Florida using only rescue dogs (and local guys) on the covers. A portion of book sales is donated to Alaqua to save animals and help them find forever homes."

while awaiting the release this week of Faith Hunter's Circle of the Moon, #4 in her Soulwood Series.  

"Nell can draw magic from the land around her, and lately she's been using it to help the Psy-Law Enforcement Division, which solves paranormal crimes. Joining the team at PsyLED has allowed her to learn more about her powers and the world she always shunned--and to find true friends. 
Head agent Rick LaFleur shifts into a panther when the moon calls him, but this time, something has gone wrong. Rick calls Nell from a riverbank--he's naked, with no memory of how he came to be there, and there's a dead black cat, sacrificed in a witch circle and killed by black magic, lying next to him.  
Then more animals turn up dead, and team rushes to investigate. A blood-witch is out to kill. But when it seems as if their leader is involved in the crime, the bonds that hold the team together could shatter at any moment."

Building project news:   Rough electrical is finished, insulation installed, and sheetrock went up yesterday. Happy dance.  About 75% done. Time still dragging on with our never ending money pit.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 11

I’m jumping in for the first time this week.  I’m on something like book seventeen for the year.  I always have a lot of books going at a time, but the one that is most capturing my attention at the moment is The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton. This is my second Morton novel and I’m hooked!

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

I’m jumping in for the first time this week.  I’m on something like book seventeen for the year.  I always have a lot of books going at a time, but the one that is most capturing my attention at the moment is The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton. This is my second Morton novel and I’m hooked!

Welcome!  The Clockmaker’s Daughter is on my list so I am glad to know you are enjoying it.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

Welcome.  Also enjoy Kate Morton and currently have Secret Keeper in my stacks.  

• Like 7

Last night I stayed up late finishing Doris Egan's The Gate of Ivory. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the trilogy.

From Library Journal:

"Stranded by mischance on the planet Ivory, Theodora of Pyrene uses her small talent to read fortunes to support herself until a commission by a sorcerer of the powerful Cormallon family involves her in a web of deceit and murder on a world where magic and technology combine forces. Romantic suspense and exotic local color lend spice to this sf/fantasy debut."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Some bookish posts ~

These are stunning!

http://www.thinkinghumanity.com/2019/02/french-designer-uses-the-spines-of-books-to-create-extraordinary-dresses.html

Interview: Artist Carves Awe-Inspiring Landscapes Out of Obsolete and Outdated Books

https://mymodernmet.com/guy-laramee-interview/

52 Books for 52 Places

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/books/52-books-for-52-places.html

For fans of The Goblin Emperor:  My Favorite Moments Writing The Goblin Emperor 

https://www.tor.com/2019/02/21/my-favorite-moments-writing-the-goblin-emperor/comment-page-1/#comment-791403

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Welcome! I look forward to hearing more. Do you care to share all seventeen titles?

Regards,

Kareni

The easiest thing might be to link to my Goodreads account. Is this okay? http://www.goodreads.com/hopeistheword

Most of what I’ve read for this year’s goal so far has been kids’ books.  I was a round two panelist for the Cybils this year and so read the shortlisted nonfiction titles this month. 

Edited by hopeistheword
Trying to make the link work
  • Like 7

I read The Little Book of Mindfulness: 10 Minutes a Day to Less Stress, More Peace - 3 Stars - This isn't the sort of book that one reads in one go. I read a section a day and dragged it out. This little pocket-sized book focuses on practical tips and exercises for mindfulness. It's probably most suitable for a beginner, and does not go into all the philosophy and endless details. The illustrations are pretty, and there are some lovely poems and quotes. 

A friend loaned me this book. It’s the sort of book that I might have bought several years ago, but I’m not really into this sort of stuff these days. I enjoy stretching and yoga, but I don’t really need a book for that. Guided meditation is not my thing. I enjoyed the part about mindful eating, which is something that I struggle with. 

A quote and a story that I thought to share:

“Taking a mindful approach to illness means initially accepting what is. 

“Buddha told this story of the ‘two arrows’ to his visitors:
‘Life often shoots an arrow at you and wounds you. However, by not accepting what has happened, by worrying about it, by saying it is unfair and wondering how long the pain will last, we tend to shot a second arrow into the open wound and increase and prolong the pain. Pain is often a given, but suffering is optional.’”

9781856753531.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM
5 Stars
The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine. 
4 Stars
Really Good
3 Stars
Enjoyable 
2 Stars
Just Okay – nothing to write home about
1 Star
Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Last night I stayed up late finishing Doris Egan's The Gate of Ivory. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the trilogy.

From Library Journal:

"Stranded by mischance on the planet Ivory, Theodora of Pyrene uses her small talent to read fortunes to support herself until a commission by a sorcerer of the powerful Cormallon family involves her in a web of deceit and murder on a world where magic and technology combine forces. Romantic suspense and exotic local color lend spice to this sf/fantasy debut."

Regards,

Kareni

I really liked The Gate of Ivory a lot -- but the other 2 were quite different.  One was more of a mystery style as I remember.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

The easiest thing might be to link to my Goodreads account. Is this okay? http://www.goodreads.com/hopeistheword

Most of what I’ve read for this year’s goal so far has been kids’ books.  I was a round two panelist for the Cybils this year and so read the shortlisted nonfiction titles this month. 

I enjoyed seeing your list of books, hopeistheword. I read the  Book Thief in December; it was a powerful read.

How does one become a panelist for the Cybils? It sounds like a fun undertaking.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I enjoyed seeing your list of books, hopeistheword. I read the  Book Thief in December; it was a powerful read.

How does one become a panelist for the Cybils? It sounds like a fun undertaking.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

Applications are taken each fall (in October I believe).  This is the third or fourth time I’ve done it.  I used to blog weekly about children’s literature but haven’t lately due to time constraints.  I do still have an active blog that I am always trying to get back to. It’s Hope Is the Word for anyone who is interested. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

These are stunning!

http://www.thinkinghumanity.com/2019/02/french-designer-uses-the-spines-of-books-to-create-extraordinary-dresses.html

Interview: Artist Carves Awe-Inspiring Landscapes Out of Obsolete and Outdated Books

52 Books for 52 Places

https://www.tor.com/2019/02/21/my-favorite-moments-writing-the-goblin-emperor/comment-page-1/#comment-791403

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the great links. The dresses are absolutely gorgeous and I'll be spending quite a bit of time perusing the books on the 52 places list. 

12 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

A bunch of us are also on goodreads so the link is great. 

5 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

Book-related:

Do you all know this Etsy shop?  I’m in love with her T-shirts and quilts!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SweetSequels

Beautiful. So many I'd love to have. The tapestries are amazing. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Negin said:

I read The Little Book of Mindfulness: 10 Minutes a Day to Less Stress, More Peace - 3 Stars - This isn't the sort of book that one reads in one go. I read a section a day and dragged it out. This little pocket-sized book focuses on practical tips and exercises for mindfulness. It's probably most suitable for a beginner, and does not go into all the philosophy and endless details. The illustrations are pretty, and there are some lovely poems and quotes. 

A friend loaned me this book. It’s the sort of book that I might have bought several years ago, but I’m not really into this sort of stuff these days. I enjoy stretching and yoga, but I don’t really need a book for that. Guided meditation is not my thing. I enjoyed the part about mindful eating, which is something that I struggle with. 

A quote and a story that I thought to share:

“Taking a mindful approach to illness means initially accepting what is. 

“Buddha told this story of the ‘two arrows’ to his visitors:
‘Life often shoots an arrow at you and wounds you. However, by not accepting what has happened, by worrying about it, by saying it is unfair and wondering how long the pain will last, we tend to shot a second arrow into the open wound and increase and prolong the pain. Pain is often a given, but suffering is optional.’”

9781856753531.jpg

What a great quote! Will have to write that one down. Thanks! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Happy Sunday and welcome to week nine in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time,  and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Join me in celebrating the anniversary of the birth of the poet, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,  born February 27, 1807.  

A Psalm of Life

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world’s broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!

Trust no Future, howe’er pleasant!
Let the dead Past bury its dead!
Act,— act in the living Present!
Heart within, and God o’erhead!

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o’er life’s solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait. 

What are you reading?

Link to week eight

Thanks for sharing the poem!  I did my eleventh grade research paper on Longfellow.  

I had my girls memorize this poem a few years ago.  It’s somewhat out of vogue, but I still love it.  Thanks for the reminder to get back to poetry memorization, especially with my little fellas. 

• Like 10

I finished spelling Chen Cao for February’s Detective spelling challenge a couple of hours ago.  I always enjoy these challenges because I get to read books that are someplace on my lists that happen to have the right letters!  I gave up readin Kellerman’s Alex Delaware series a couple of new releases ago but recently received a Goodread’s email from Kellermam about his latest book and am excited about reading the new one.   As a series reader this means I HAVE to read a couple that I had skipped so I read Heartbreak Hotel for my needed H.  I really liked this book so I am glad I returned to this series!  Not sure why I gave up on it because my kindle indicated that I started it at some point.   The first murder victim was a sweet 99 yo woman looking forward to her 100th birthday which I suspect had something to do with it,  after I got past that I enjoyed the investigation of her early life.

I also read a book from a new to me cozy series for a N.  I ended up really liking the characters in The Novel Art of Murder by VM Burns but gave up reading the side cozy mystery that the main character was writing.  I am looking forward to the release of the next one in this series as I continued reading the preview of the next book,  then discovered it has an April release date.  Looking forward to finding out what happens next!

C......The Cat Who Moved a Mountain by Lillian Jackson Braun

H......Heartbreak Hotel by Jonathan Kellerman

E......Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop

N.....The Novel Art of Murder by VM Burns

C.....The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith

A.....The Golden Tresses of the Dead by Alan Bradley

O.....Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I finished spelling Chen Cao for February’s Detective spelling challenge a couple of hours ago.  I always enjoy these challenges because I get to read books that are someplace on my lists that happen to have the right letters!  I gave up readin Kellerman’s Alex Delaware series a couple of new releases ago but recently received a Goodread’s email from Kellermam about his latest book and am excited about reading the new one.   As a series reader this means I HAVE to read a couple that I had skipped so I read Heartbreak Hotel for my needed H.  I really liked this book so I am glad I returned to this series!  Not sure why I gave up on it because my kindle indicated that I started it at some point.   The first murder victim was a sweet 99 yo woman looking forward to her 100th birthday which I suspect had something to do with it,  after I got past that I enjoyed the investigation of her early life.

I also read a book from a new to me cozy series for a N.  I ended up really liking the characters in The Novel Art of Murder by VM Burns but gave up reading the side cozy mystery that the main character was writing.  I am looking forward to the release of the next one in this series as I continued reading the preview of the next book,  then discovered it has an April release date.  Looking forward to finding out what happens next!

C......The Cat Who Moved a Mountain by Lillian Jackson Braun

H......Heartbreak Hotel by Jonathan Kellerman

E......Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop

N.....The Novel Art of Murder by VM Burns

C.....The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith

A.....The Golden Tresses of the Dead by Alan Bradley

O.....Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts

This brings back memories for me.  My dh and I used to listen to The Cat Who . . .series while driving a lot for my master’s degree

• Like 7

Hi everyone! Haven't finished anything this week BUT I have started reading The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher and am loving it! Thank you for recommending it!

I'm also listening to the audio version of Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. The readers are very good and I'm liking it so much. I read the book last year but have forgotten the details so it's like a whole new book, haha.

• Like 11

Finished last week (I mentioned a couple of them in last week's thread): The Turn of the Screw, Math with Bad Drawings, and Island of the Blue Dolphins (re-read/pre-read - I read it in 6th grade but needed to refresh my memory on the book before assigning it to DD#1 for school reading). That brings me to 14 books read for the year.

Currently reading: Martin Luther's Basic Theological Writings. This is a 755-pager that's been on my shelves for years, and I had already read *almost* half of it a long time ago so my bookmark was there. I am now working on finishing it up. It may take me more than a week to get it done though!

Edited by purpleowl
fixing wonky links
  • Like 11

@Kareni  Thank you especially for the link to Katherine Addison's "Five Favorite Moments" in writing The Goblin Emperor. I loved seeing all the kindred souls posting in the comment section saying it is their favorite book and go-to comfort read. And I'm ridiculously excited she is writing another novel set in that universe!

Earlier this afternoon I finished Milkman by Anna Burns. I absolutely loved it. Was gobsmacked by it. Loved the writing, the main character and the evocation of a place and of situations so familiar yet so utterly alien.

If you are considering it, I highly recommend you listen to the audiobook as apparently the printed version is a challenge. You are inside the main character's head, an 18yo girl who prefers to read while walking, and prefers 19th century novels. She is escaping the 20th century, specifically the 1970 Troubles in Belfast. The setting is never explicitly named, nor are the characters. It is a stream of consciousness narration of a few months in her life, with long rabbit trails into background and explanation that stop the action in the plot. It all makes perfect sense when listening to it as it feels as if you are listening to what is going on inside the 18yo's head. But apparently in print it means never ending paragraphs which, judging by some reviews, is exhausting. The NYT's called it a slog! Other reviewers who loved it nevertheless mention how difficult a read it is.

I'm also really enjoying the non-fiction Love of Country, the chronicles of a journalist's trips to the different islands of the Hebrides. The author, Madeleine Bunting, was a columnist for The Guardian for a number of years. It is the perfect travel book, at least for me, in that she describes landscapes and modes of transport, but intertwines the history and throws in lots of literary references, quoting Samuel Johnson and James Boswell who travelled the Hebrides together. She writes about George Orwell who decamped to the island of Jura after WWII, and wrote Nineteen Eighty-Four there. And she writes about the fun stuff -- going on a boat excursion to ride the whirlpool in the Gulf of Corryvrekan. 

•  
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hopeistheword, welcome to BAW! Nice to have an expert on children's literature aboard!

This week I finished Larry McMurtry's book of essays about Texas, In a Narrow Grave. Like me, it's 50 years old and I'm tempted to say a little dated ... but it was so intriguing to read his thoughts (cultural, literary, historical, social) on the Texas that existed when I was born. Of special interest was the account of the filming of his first novel, Horseman, Pass By as the classic Texas movie Hud. The vulture wrangling anecdote is itself worth the price of admission. I really need to read more McMurtry fiction. 10x10 Challenge category: Don't Mess With Texas.

Also read some more Henry James: a collection titled In the Cage and Other Stories. "In the Cage" is a novella from his later years that I hadn't read before, about a telegraph operator who pieces together the insufficient and cryptic information she garners from the telegrams she sends and constructs a narrative of more or less (less) accuracy. The reader notices that this is of course the precise position he's left in by James, writing in his diffuse "golden cloud" manner.

Also new to me was the story "The Jolly Corner," about a man whose childhood home is haunted by his potential self: that is, the ghost of the man he would have been if he hadn't left England for thirty years. James sure does unusual ghost stories, when he does them. 10x10 Challenge category: A is for Amy who...., with possibly Edward Gorey's most boring cover art ever: a photo of the older James and Gorey's nice hand-drawn type font.

image.png.34b22b0e3ae12da07e7321f107681fc1.png

Currently reading Thieves Like Us by Edward Anderson.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 10

I have been having trouble reading for the past few weeks.  My bifocals are finally ordered.  Sigh.

I have been reading kids' books for the past few weeks because of the larger print.  I read the six books in The Ruby Slippers School series (Christian homeschooled kids who travel with their parents).

I also read the first book in The Trixie Belden series.  Well, I re-read it; but, the last time I read it was decades ago.

• Like 12

I think I'd better book share first and come back and read some more of the posts this time through.  Last time I got sucked out of the chat and into the fun links @Kareni and @hopeistheword shared.  (Amazing gown fabrics!)   Welcome hopeistheword.

Completed: 

• Colossians (KJV)
  • Q=  Quirkology: The Curious Science of Everyday Lives ~ Richard Wiseman   N/F      This was an entertaining, light,  and,  on the whole,  an interesting listen.  It definitely was not written for young people - as I mistakenly thought it was by the tone of the book – Wiseman paints in splashes of ‘adult content’ and sexual innuendo, especially in chapter 5. 
  •  A.D. 30:  A.D. Series Bk1 ~ Ted Dekker, narrated by Ellen Archer         Biblical retelling/historical fiction   (4)  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2714656477  
  •  The School at Thrush Green: Thrush Green Bk6 ~ Miss Read, narrated by Gwen Watford  (3)   Still enjoyable but not my favourite Thrush Green book. 
  • N=  Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ~  Susanna Clarke, narrated by Simon Prebble  (5) Alternate British history involving magicians and fairies.  I’m glad that Penguin mentioned a few weeks back  “It seemed to go on forever, but in the end I feel like it was worth my time. The last 20% or so had a fast-paced, satisfying climax.”   You’re right:  The book seems to amble along just like a lengthy Dickens serial and then in the last part of the book, once Jonathan ‘finds’ Arabella,  all the threads start pulling together to generate a very satisfying  cannot-put-down-until-I’m-finished read. (I ditched the audio and just read flat out!)   I liked the ending Clarke gifted this story with, and wonder if the magicians and the tower of darkness will appear in another work, sometime, somewhere?

Currently reading/listening to:

• Isaiah (out of The KJV Life Application Bible)
  • I’m trying to focus on reading as much of  Coming Home to Tibet:  A Memoir of Love, Loss, and Belonging ~  Tsering Wangmo Dhompa before my overdrive hold on it expires.  Amazingly, circumambulations (a word I bumped into for the first time a few weeks back)  is used often in this book   
Edited by tuesdayschild
had to delete the gigantic emoji :D
  • Like 11

11 hours ago, Robin M said:

Building project news:   Rough electrical is finished, insulation installed, and sheetrock went up yesterday. Happy dance.  About 75% done. Time still dragging on with our never ending money pit.  

That is good news Robin!  Does your builder have a may be done by date, or, are you still on a 'just as long as it takes" time frame?

ETA:  Thanks for the nudge ...  I went and hunted out my book of Longfellow's poetry to enjoy this week. His Psalm of Life is one of my favourite poems. 

9 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I finished spelling Chen Cao for February’s Detective spelling challenge a couple of hours ago

Well done!!!!    I still have 'H' to try and complete  ... I can use an already completed Heyer book if I don't .

Anyone else making inroads into reading 'Scotland'?

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

That is good news Robin!  Does your builder have a may be done by date, or, are you still on a 'just as long as it takes" time frame?

ETA:  Thanks for the nudge ...  I went and hunted out my book of Longfellow's poetry to enjoy this week. His Psalm of Life is one of my favourite poems. 

Well done!!!!    I still have 'H' to try and complete  ... I can use an already completed Heyer book if I don't .

Anyone else making inroads into reading 'Scotland'?

I updated all my records yesterday.....For Scotland I have two so far.  My requirement is simply set in Scotland.....

The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alaxander McCall Smith which I loved!  The second in the series is planned for later this week.  Btw, I did my planning for spelling Armand Gamache yesterday too!  Lots of A’s so either I need to wait to read this one in March or read another in the series very quickly!  😉

A Small Death in a Great Cove by AD Scott which was filled with uncomfortable subjects,  the main character is an abused wife.  The murder is a horrifying one, small child.  The village is not happy about Italians and Poles moving there post WWII.......I could continue with my uncomfortable topics  but will probably try at least one more in the series so it was actually not bad.  

I have been first in line for Ian Rankin’s second Rebus mystery for quite a while so hopefully Hide and Seek is going to appear in my Overdrive this week!  I also have the first in a Val McDermid series set in Scotland which I have read parts of years ago.  Not sure if The Distant Echo is one that I have read or not but looking forward to it.

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

These are stunning!

52 Books for 52 Places

Regards,

Kareni

Love your links, Kareni! The dresses are amazingly beautiful! They reminded me of Project Runway episodes where the designers have to make clothing out of unusual materials. 

And tuesdayschild, you've inspired me to reserve Jonathan Strange at my library sooner rather than later!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 9

I’ve had lots of alone hiking and so am finishing the audiobook of Steffan Zweig’s autobiography “World of yesterday” which at 17 hours could be considered a maybe-chunkster? It’s an astonishing book, very hard to read/hear at times (like when he talks about the naïveté of the learned classes before WWI, and again before the other one. I’ve been inspired to look at some other books of friends he mentions, and of his, only to find them out of print. So I’ve been ordering used out of print books and feeling very adult.

At @violet crown’s suggestion I started Magic Mountain again but the hotel room had a copy of SPQR by Mary Beard which is far more readible, so I’m going with that. 

Finished MilkMan, I don’t know what to think of that one. Was on the verge of abandoning many times (as I tend to do) but then it got into my skin somehow. Would love to see someone else’s reaction.

reading Paradise Lost with DS, we’ve landed on the Norton critical edition, we need all the footnotes 😂

• Like 11

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

I’ve had lots of alone hiking and so am finishing the audiobook of Stefan Zweig’s autobiography “World of yesterday” which at 17 hours could be considered a maybe-chunkster? It’s an astonishing book, very hard to read/hear at times (like when he talks about the naïveté of the learned classes before WWI, and again before the other one. I’ve been inspired to look at some other books of friends he mentions, and of his, only to find them out of print. So I’ve been ordering used out of print books and feeling very adult.

At @violet crown’s suggestion I started Magic Mountain again but the hotel room had a copy of SPQR by Mary Beard which is far more readable, so I’m going with that. 

Finished MilkMan, I don’t know what to think of that one. Was on the verge of abandoning many times (as I tend to do) but then it got into my skin somehow. Would love to see someone else’s reaction.

reading Paradise Lost with DS, we’ve landed on the Norton critical edition, we need all the footnotes

The only Zweig I've read is Beware of Pity, several years ago. More books on my to-read list. Speaking of which, are you going to tell us which OOP books you've ordered? Inquiring minds want to know.

Swapping out Mann for Beard is hard to criticize.

Juvenile thing to know about Paradise Lost: you can sing Milton's famous opening phrases (telescoped) to "The Flintstones" theme. From memory:

Of Man's first - disobedience - and the fruit of that forbidden tree
Whose mortal - ta-aste brought death - into the world and all our woe
With loss of - Eden till one greater man
Restore us - and regain that blissful seat
Sing, Muse - hea-venly Muse - a-and justify the ways of --
-tify the ways of --
the ways of God to Man!

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

I have been reading, but not finishing much.

I do have one book worth gushing about, and that is Alberta and Jacob. It was originally published in Norwegian in 1926. I'm surprised that it is not better known. I thought it was a beautifully written (and translated) novel about a young woman's life in the far northern portion of Norway. It is a turn-of-the-century classic, and part one of a trilogy. 

Alberta is a restless, shy young woman who wants to escape the life that is planned for her. Jacob is her extroverted, adventuresome younger brother.

Five stars.

I am also learning Dutch using the Jip and Janneke stories. Dutch children are very lucky to grow up on Jip and Janneke! I love them!

---

@madteaparty If you scroll up, JennW posted her review of Milkman.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

@Kareni  Thank you especially for the link to Katherine Addison's "Five Favorite Moments" in writing The Goblin Emperor. I loved seeing all the kindred souls posting in the comment section saying it is their favorite book and go-to comfort read. And I'm ridiculously excited she is writing another novel set in that universe!

Earlier this afternoon I finished Milkman by Anna Burns. I absolutely loved it. Was gobsmacked by it. Loved the writing, the main character and the evocation of a place and of situations so familiar yet so utterly alien.

If you are considering it, I highly recommend you listen to the audiobook as apparently the printed version is a challenge. You are inside the main character's head, an 18yo girl who prefers to read while walking, and prefers 19th century novels. She is escaping the 20th century, specifically the 1970 Troubles in Belfast. The setting is never explicitly named, nor are the characters. It is a stream of consciousness narration of a few months in her life, with long rabbit trails into background and explanation that stop the action in the plot. It all makes perfect sense when listening to it as it feels as if you are listening to what is going on inside the 18yo's head. But apparently in print it means never ending paragraphs which, judging by some reviews, is exhausting. The NYT's called it a slog! Other reviewers who loved it nevertheless mention how difficult a read it is.

I'm also really enjoying the non-fiction Love of Country, the chronicles of a journalist's trips to the different islands of the Hebrides. The author, Madeleine Bunting, was a columnist for The Guardian for a number of years. It is the perfect travel book, at least for me, in that she describes landscapes and modes of transport, but intertwines the history and throws in lots of literary references, quoting Samuel Johnson and James Boswell who travelled the Hebrides together. She writes about George Orwell who decamped to the island of Jura after WWII, and wrote Nineteen Eighty-Four there. And she writes about the fun stuff -- going on a boat excursion to ride the whirlpool in the Gulf of Corryvrekan. 

•  

Ah, should’ve listened to you and done Milk man on audio. I didn’t find the sentences hard to read except towards the first 1/3 when i felt like she was lecturing a bit on the “political problems”. Like, I get it, either talk about it or not, we get the point. The last part of the book, with the lecturing out of the way was, I agree, mesmerizing almost. 

I don’t agree with the NYT reviews so I never read them anymore/I’m not surprised they called it a slog. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

The only Zweig I've read is Beware of Pity, several years ago. More books on my to-read list. Speaking of which, are you going to tell us which OOP books you've ordered? Inquiring minds want to know.

Swapping out Mann for Beard is hard to criticize.

Juvenile thing to know about Paradise Lost: you can sing Milton's famous opening phrases (telescoped) to "The Flintstones" theme. From memory:

Of Man's first - disobedience - and the fruit of that forbidden tree
Whose mortal - ta-aste brought death - into the world and all our woe
With loss of - Eden till one greater man
Restore us - and regain that blissful seat
Sing, Muse - hea-venly Muse - a-and justify the ways of --
-tify the ways of --
the ways of God to Man!

So I’ve read most of Zweig’s fiction as a kid, and if you’re looking to read more of him as filler, try the novellas. They’re little melodramatic things. He himself says in his autobiography that he hates long drawn out language, and he always thought someone should reissue the Iliad, Magic Mountain, 😂 etc without the unnecessary bits. I am going to embark on his biographies now, on Fouche, Marie Antoinette etc. 

I think these things below are out of print, or else my search skills blow: he wrote essays on Balzac, Dostoevsky and Dickens, all in one book, someone in NJ printed and sent me an old scanned book with these three, underlining and all 😂.

he talks a lot about Romain Rolland in his autobiography, I had honestly never heard of the man 😬. So I ordered some of his stuff. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Took me forever to be able to reply to this thread. All these technical glitches right now. Loved the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem. 

I am on a Georgette Heyer kick.

Books:

April Lady very funny, easy fluffy read, relaxing.

While I wait for Arabella to become available, I will read one of the Coulter books  - Double Take - to throw me back into the present century.

Also have A Blunt Instrument by Heyer on the shelf.

Non-fiction: Still nibbling on The Psychopath Inside by Jim Fallon.

Audiobooks:

The Corinthian by Heyer

100 Years of Solitude by  Gabriel Garcia Marquez

• Like 11

I too got caught up reading last week's thread but not posting.
Three books read between then and now:
Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. A powerful biography for book club, Deo's story lingers. I found it a bit uneven - I think because he is still fairly young and his life meanders on in its circuitous way, the story feels unfinished.
Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. I'm very grateful to this forum for reminding me of this author! So funny, yet her description of grief left me in tears several times. I saw parallels in the setting and title to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (which I first read as Ten Little Indians). Perfect epilogue.
Grey Mask by Patricia Wentworth. My teenage self would have enjoyed these safe books.

• Like 12

For Julia Spencer Fleming fans......she is one of my favorite authors.  She writes an awesome mystery series featuring an Anglican Priest who happens to be a woman that stalled at a huge cliffhanger a few years ago.  I am sad to say she halted because of her husband’s terminal illness but just learned that after many years the next book is ar the editors.  My cliffhanger will hopefully be resolved sometimetime in 2020........

The series starts with In the Bleak Midwinter https://www.goodreads.com/series/41301-the-rev-clare-fergusson-russ-van-alstyne-mysteries. I think I feel a reread coming on

eta...... I thought the giant emoji didn’t happen from iPads, they do,  but I managed to delete mine!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

We lit a fire under his butt and told him he needs to done by the end of March because we are running out of money. Paying double utilities, rent, and mortgage has drained any extra funds.  He has other jobs coming up as well so we are all on the same page.  Went over yesterday  to check things out. All the windows were uncovered and with the dry wall up the rooms looked so much bigger.  Next phase is tape and texture. 

• Like 9

I just finished a collection of stories that I quite enjoyed. The stories are quite diverse in setting and subject matter. I liked some more than others, but I liked them all. The title story won a Hugo Award.

Cat Pictures Please and Other Stories by Naomi Kritzer

"Acclaimed writer Naomi Kritzer's marvelous tales of science fiction and fantasy are now collected in Cat Pictures and Other Stories. Here are seventeen short stories, including her Hugo Award-winning story "Cat Pictures Please," which is about what would happen if artificial intelligence was born out of our search engine history. Two stories are previously unpublished. Kritzer has a gift for telling stories both humorous and tender. Her stories are filled with wit and intelligence, and require thoughtful reading. "

"These are the best sorts of stories: patient, inventive, expansive, quietly subversive and devilishly sly. Each one invites the reader to listen, to learn, to peek under the mask of the world, to be astonished. I love Kritzer's work, and I always will." --Kelly Barnhill, Newbery Medalist

"Kritzer's sharp, bittersweet memorable stories will stay with you long after you close the book." --Jo Walton, author of Among Others

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

7 hours ago, mumto2 said:

For Julia Spencer Fleming fans......she is one of my favorite authors.  She writes an awesome mystery series featuring an Anglican Priest who happens to be a woman that stalled at a huge cliffhanger a few years ago.  I am sad to say she halted because of her husband’s terminal illness but just learned that after many years the next book is ar the editors.  My cliffhanger will hopefully be resolved sometimetime in 2020........

The series starts with In the Bleak Midwinter https://www.goodreads.com/series/41301-the-rev-clare-fergusson-russ-van-alstyne-mysteries. I think I feel a reread coming on

I really enjoyed the first few books in the series, and can't remember where I left off, or how many books there actually are.  I may just have to start over again! One of the things I appreciated about the series is how church going Christians  -- and the clergy -- are just regular people. They aren't fanatics, the church isn't corrupt -- it's just a normal way of life. It is SOOOO rare in modern fiction.

• Like 10

I have a request.  I hope it's okay.   

If you have a book blog, will you link it here so I can put a "name with a face"?  LOL  I've looked at the 52 Books in 52 Weeks site and have perused some of the linked reviews, but I'm not sure which of the blogs are by actual WTMers, etc.  

I think I linked above (somewhere?), but I have a much-neglected book blog, Hope Is the Word.  I've been blogging for over a decade, mostly about children's literature.  For several years I blogged virtually every chapter book I read (which did include adult books, too), and I also blogged stand-out picture books.  I have quite an archive of book reviews but it's pretty disorganized.  

Anyone else?  

• Like 8

6 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I really enjoyed the first few books in the series, and can't remember where I left off, or how many books there actually are.  I may just have to start over again! One of the things I appreciated about the series is how church going Christians  -- and the clergy -- are just regular people. They aren't fanatics, the church isn't corrupt -- it's just a normal way of life. It is SOOOO rare in modern fiction.

I think there are currently 8 but haven’t gone back into Goodreads to check myself. I want to add I originally listened to these books so the audio versions are good.   Like my Gamache reread I will probably listen again.  I just skipped The Beautiful Mystery in the Gamache reread, a long hold and I was happy to move on.  That particular book made me sad and I remember it very clearly so onward.....

14 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

If you have a book blog, will you link it here so I can put a "name with a face"?  LOL  I've looked at the 52 Books in 52 Weeks site and have perused some of the linked reviews, but I'm not sure which of the blogs are by actual WTMers, etc.  

I think I linked above (somewhere?), but I have a much-neglected book blog, Hope Is the Word.  I've been blogging for over a decade, mostly about children's literature.  For several years I blogged virtually every chapter book I read (which did include adult books, too), and I also blogged stand-out picture books.  I have quite an archive of book reviews but it's pretty disorganized.  

Anyone else?  

No book blog for me but we do have some among the members here.  I actually started following several of the blogs Robin has listed recently that are not members here.  I am enjoying the new book ideas appearing on my daily Bloglovin feed, which used to be all quilt related. Lol

• Like 8

6 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

Anyone else?  

A few are WTMer's, like Nerdishly (Melissa M) and Household Diaries (Faithr) active here or on goodreads.  More are book bloggers and homeschoolers I've known for years. Some are doing Well Educated Mind project and others have found us through novel challenges so we have an amazing blend of interesting folks on the site as well as here.   I don't have my personal blog listed www.mytwoblessings.com since I haven't posted in a while but have plans to get back into it soon.  Especially since I've been blogging since 2007.   If you want to check it out,  I post book reviews as well as poems, flash fiction, talk about writing, homeschooling,  and life in general.  Let me know if you want me to add your blog to the list on 52 books. 

• Like 6

On 2/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, Robin M said:

Welcome.  Also enjoy Kate Morton and currently have Secret Keeper in my stacks.  

That was my first of her books and still my favorite. 

On 2/25/2019 at 11:00 AM, Liz CA said:

Took me forever to be able to reply to this thread. All these technical glitches right now. Loved the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem. 

I am on a Georgette Heyer kick.

Books:

April Lady very funny, easy fluffy read, relaxing.

While I wait for Arabella to become available, I will read one of the Coulter books  - Double Take - to throw me back into the present century.

Also have A Blunt Instrument by Heyer on the shelf.

Non-fiction: Still nibbling on The Psychopath Inside by Jim Fallon.

Audiobooks:

The Corinthian by Heyer

100 Years of Solitude by  Gabriel Garcia Marquez

What a great reading kick! I've never read April Lady but just started listening to it on audiobook. The number of GH books I haven't read is dwindling and I'm trying to savor them. 

On 2/25/2019 at 12:03 PM, KathyBC said:

I too got caught up reading last week's thread but not posting.
Three books read between then and now:
Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. A powerful biography for book club, Deo's story lingers. I found it a bit uneven - I think because he is still fairly young and his life meanders on in its circuitous way, the story feels unfinished.
Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. I'm very grateful to this forum for reminding me of this author! So funny, yet her description of grief left me in tears several times. I saw parallels in the setting and title to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (which I first read as Ten Little Indians). Perfect epilogue.
Grey Mask by Patricia Wentworth. My teenage self would have enjoyed these safe books.

The Grey Mask was my least favorite of the Wentworth books. I liked it okay. The rest of her books are much better and have a slightly more "modern" feel. I use the term modern very loosely. @tuesdayschild has a great blog post where she ranks a bunch of them. It's great reference if you want to read/listen to them. 

• Like 8

I'm reading The Great Gatsby with my teen girls. I've only read it about fifteen times but they've never read it. 

I'm listening to Madam, Will You Talk?

FINISHED: The Case is Closed by Patricia Wentworth. I'd recommend it. Good cozy mystery. 

• Like 7

Fans of Anne Cleeland's Acton and Doyle series might be interested to know that a new book has been released ~   

ETA to correct: Murder in Just Cause: A Doyle & Acton Mystery (The Doyle & Acton Mystery Series Book 9)

Some free books for Kindle readers:

These two are LGBT:

Tamara Allen's The Road to Silver Plume

Tamara Allen's The Only Gold

Fantasy:

D. Bruce Cotton's Magician's Heir (Dark Mage Series Book 1)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Faith Hunter's Circle of the Moon arrived. Woot Woot! 

Book news of the day:  Nora Robert's latest on the plagiarism controversy.  I'll be a bit more cautious from now on with new author freebies from now on. 

I love chunky books so Bookriot's 50 Must Read Big Books of More than 500 Pages is very enticing. 

Just can't get enough of Haruki Murakami  - Still swinging for the fences: Murakami in conversation

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1