Menu

would you eat this...cheese

kfeusse

The general rule with cheese is to go by sight, smell, and taste. Low moisture mozzarella (the kind you usually buy in blocks) lasts longer than fresh mozzarella; if it looks fine and smells fine take a small taste. If it doesn't taste off you are fine to eat as much as you want.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, happi duck said:

I'll join you in the "not eating the old cheese" corner.

There may be a few foods that I would eat 4 months past their expiration date, but a soft cheese like mozzarella... nope.

I’m a wimp. Also, I know what food poisoning feels like, and it’s not worth it to me to take any chances.

• Like 1

Just now, Catwoman said:

There may be a few foods that I would eat 4 months past their expiration date, but a soft cheese like mozzarella... nope.

I’m a wimp. Also, I know what food poisoning feels like, and it’s not worth it to me to take any chances.

Should we stare at the others disapprovingly or just avert our eyes?  😜

(The soft/wettish nature of mozzarella is why I wouldn't also)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I guess it depends if it is a soft and wet mozz or a dry one, I’d eat the latter without hesitation.

This is my thought too.

The dry mozzarella we buy from Aldi to put on pizza, sure, assuming no visible mold, stink, etc. 

A fresher cheese, probably not.  

19 hours ago, May said:

If there is no visible mold, I would eat it. DH would toss it but he would toss any leftovers after a few days😳

How many is a few days?  I think most foods are supposed to be tossed after 3-4.  I think of that as a few.  :-)

ETA: I wouldn't toss opened cheese after 3-4. We keep cheese till it's bad (cutting off moldy bits as needed) but it doesn't last too long around here, lol.

Edited by marbel

1 hour ago, marbel said:

How many is a few days?  I think most foods are supposed to be tossed after 3-4.  I think of that as a few.  🙂

ETA: I wouldn't toss opened cheese after 3-4. We keep cheese till it's bad (cutting off moldy bits as needed) but it doesn't last too long around here, lol.

A few days, in hubby’s world, is 3-4. I have no problem eating leftovers that have been in the frig for 7-10 days. DH isn’t a fan of leftovers so he would be happy to toss after 2😳