Menu

Need suggestions! What to serve with French Onion Soup??

PeachyDoodle

My dh loves French onion soup, and I've found a recipe that I'm thinking of trying for a nice Valentine's meal. Suggestions for what to pair with it? Should I make the soup the main course and serve a side with it? Or make it an appetizer and serve a separate main course?

It needs to be something not too elaborate/hard to make, and relatively inexpensive. DH isn't picky, but he doesn't eat fish or seafood.

I'm also planning to make chocolate lava cakes. I will probably cook something simple for the kids so they can eat before he gets home and bribe them with popcorn and a movie downstairs in the playroom 😉, so a recipe for two is fine.

At home we have it with a nice little salad.

Once at a restaurant I got french onion soup and ordered mashed potato cakes a la carte. They were so yummy together. But it wouldn't have worked if the cakes hadn't been nicely crisped, and seasoned to stand up to the soup. I don't know how to make these at home. My experiments come out blobby.

• Like 1

I'll add - when I think of French onion soup, I think of the recipes I've seen/made, which include bread and cheese on top.  If I was making it without the bread and cheese, I'd add a grilled cheese (maybe with some meat and/or vegetable, such as roasted red pepper) sandwich, along with a salad.  But we go heavy on the cheese when we make it, so more cheese would be... lovely, but too much!  

9 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Every time I see this thread, I get hungry for French Onion soup.

Come on over! Dinner is at 6! 😄

12 minutes ago, marbel said:

I'll add - when I think of French onion soup, I think of the recipes I've seen/made, which include bread and cheese on top.  If I was making it without the bread and cheese, I'd add a grilled cheese (maybe with some meat and/or vegetable, such as roasted red pepper) sandwich, along with a salad.  But we go heavy on the cheese when we make it, so more cheese would be... lovely, but too much!  

I'm definitely doing the cheesy bread -- that's the best part, lol! I was thinking just a salad, but I remembered that we have leftover pot roast and hoagies that I was planning to make into hot sandwiches one night, and those will be yummy with the soup. Bonus: that can be a quick and easy dinner for the kids! And I already have salad stuff and ingredients for a poppy-seed dressing to go with it.

ETA: Before I could finish this post, my mom arrived with a bottle of wine and a huge French baguette -- and she didn't even know about my dinner plan. It's my lucky day!

• Like 1