Menu

PNW peeps...snow?

gardenmom5

I admit, I was skeptical.  they said 1 - 3 inches, and I was like "yeah right". I knew adults who were excited and I was like "don't count on it"... well, you know the rest (I had 8")

then I see they're forecasting for Friday/Saturday - just as much as we had from this last storm. - and more into next week... (I'm flying out on the 16th - the roads better be clear and the planes running, or I'm going to be mad.  don't get in between grandma and baby...).  it's kind of giving me a sense of deja vous from that dec. 2008 storm.. I had 24" at my house over four storms... (with that one, I dont' think temps ever got above freezing, and at least day time high today was 36. - just enough to melt the snow so it can freeze into black ice tonight...)

any one else have any thoughts?

We just had a good dusting in Vancouver, maybe an inch at our house. But it was enough to close schools due to ice on the hills. DD12 is excited for about half a day and then bored and asks when school is opening back up. LOL I love snow, but do not love having her home bored and her schedule disrupted.

• Like 1

We didn't get any really from the last storm that came through, just cold and ice.  Right now it is pretty iffy if we are going to get much accumulation this time around or not.  My kids are really hoping for some actual snow this weekend, but youngest is sick so I am not sure he would be up to enjoying it if it comes.  The boys really want to see how puppy reacts to snow since he is part Alaskan malamute.

We're farther south--1.5 hours south of Portland. School was delayed 2 hours yesterday for about an inch of snow. Clear today and tomorrow and not sure about the weekend. Dh says up to 5" of snow on Monday which would definitely close schools. Haven't had that much snow in the last several years. And it's cold all next week with snowflakes for each day on my phone. I'm stocking up on food Friday or Saturday and kind of hoping I get at least one snow day.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Loowit said:

We didn't get any really from the last storm that came through, just cold and ice.  Right now it is pretty iffy if we are going to get much accumulation this time around or not.  My kids are really hoping for some actual snow this weekend, but youngest is sick so I am not sure he would be up to enjoying it if it comes.  The boys really want to see how puppy reacts to snow since he is part Alaskan malamute.

good luck getting him to come back inside.

puppy is a wuss with rain and wet grass.  dd took him out sunday when it was just a trace of snow. he was like "what is this?" while daintily touching the ground.

the next morning, with 8" on the ground... he was running around prancing in it.  then he'd stop and look at a different part of the yard - yep, it's there too.  he likes it when it's deep enough to play in.

39 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

We're farther south--1.5 hours south of Portland. School was delayed 2 hours yesterday for about an inch of snow. Clear today and tomorrow and not sure about the weekend. Dh says up to 5" of snow on Monday which would definitely close schools. Haven't had that much snow in the last several years. And it's cold all next week with snowflakes for each day on my phone. I'm stocking up on food Friday or Saturday and kind of hoping I get at least one snow day.

dh claims we're all stocked.  the one thing I want to get, and I'll go out tomorrow - is road salt/deicer.  we live on a really steep hill. in 2008, 4wheel drives didn't make it up that hill.  so, we'll park the cars at the top. (you have to go up to get out.)  

we have some neighbors who spent most of Monday shoveling that hill.  I had a bag of deicer and used the entire thing to help prevent it from freezing.  then I realized I should have thrown some down on my driveway as it already had black ice Monday night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had 8 inches. I heard that Friday might be even more. Then again some on Monday or Tuesday. I haven’t had trouble getting around even though our street is never ever plowed. My biggest complaint is that our garbage and recycling weren’t picked up and we might miss next week’s pick up as well. 

we have Monday pick up too. well, at least they won't charge extra when we leave three weeks worth of trash out...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I'm flying in tonight.   First flight was cancelled but this one looks good to go.   Told dh not to be a hero or an idiot about picking me up...a hotel oom is much cheaper than even a dent in the car, let alone worse things.   :0)

it's hovering around freezing.  I've been looking at the traffic cams for surface streets, and even now they don't look too bad.  but it is very wet, and when it drops below freezing it will turn to ice.

I wish I had put my truck down by the road before it got dark.  Hmmm.  Should I now or take my chances with it  being iced in on the driveway for a week?

son is at friends’ overnight with bike as transportation , but if it gets icy may need a ride tomorrow 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I wish I had put my truck down by the road before it got dark.  Hmmm.  Should I now or take my chances with it  being iced in on the driveway for a week?

son is at friends’ overnight with bike as transportation , but if it gets icy may need a ride tomorrow 

check your road.  I've been looking at traffic cameras for our area, and the roads are surprisingly good.

and the temperature, at least here, is hovering at freezing.  so, it's pretty wet, and hasn't iced yet.

Sigh. No snow here. Our snowflakes on the phone weather app are always several days out and they always turn to rain before they get here. My phone said 5" of snow on Monday a few days ago. It's rain now. The week of snowflakes has turned into one next Sunday, a week from now. We had a half inch of scanty snow overnight last night that was all melted by 10:00am.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:40 PM, Ali in OR said:

Sigh. No snow here. Our snowflakes on the phone weather app are always several days out and they always turn to rain before they get here. My phone said 5" of snow on Monday a few days ago. It's rain now. The week of snowflakes has turned into one next Sunday, a week from now. We had a half inch of scanty snow overnight last night that was all melted by 10:00am.

Edited by Frances

Finally got some totals 10.5 inches so far with 8-12 more expected.  A friends brother and several other people were stuck on one of the roads overnight waiting to be rescued by snowmobile.  Everything thing is closed including most of the freeways leading in or out of town.

• Sad 1

We have 11 inches - but that is the accumulation of one snow on top of another snow.  But we are halfway up a mountain and tend to get snow even when slightly lower elevations don't.  In fact, there is one house about two blocks from us which is the dividing line.  If there is cold rain below, that is the place where we see it turn to snow. 

I'm the biggest snow wimp ever.   Snow was fun when I was a kid, but now I'm terrified of the stuff, especially if I have to drive in it.

I was so upset when I saw this video on the local news website the other day:  https://komonews.com/news/local/watch-desperate-hummingbird-tries-to-save-mate-trapped-in-frozen-feeder

My hummingbird feeders are the bottle type, but  I had just purchased the same one that  trapped the bird in order to have a second feeder  because a bully hummingbird has been chasing my usual couple away.  After I saw the story I was spooning out the water in the ant moat...I don't even know why I thought ants would be a problem this time of year, but I was just following all the directions that came with the new feeder.   

During the cold weather I take the feeders in at night and put them out early in the morning   I'm going to try that lady's method of using handwarmers  on the bottom of the feeders during the day.

Snow....just more stress that I don't need!!! 

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We have 11 inches - but that is the accumulation of one snow on top of another snow.  But we are halfway up a mountain and tend to get snow even when slightly lower elevations don't.  In fact, there is one house about two blocks from us which is the dividing line.  If there is cold rain below, that is the place where we see it turn to snow. 

don't'cha love convergence zones?  there's an overpass near totem lake.  I don't drive up there much anymore - but I have seen hard rain (and even snow)  on one side, and the other side has been sunny...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Laurie said:

During the cold weather I take the feeders in at night and put them out early in the morning   I'm going to try that lady's method of using handwarmers  on the bottom of the feeders during the day.

Yesterday I asked my husband if he could stop at the hardware store on his way home to see if they have any of those handwarmers.  When he walked into the store, one of the people working there asked him if he needed help finding anything.  He told her he was looking for these handwarming things, and she said, "For hummingbird feeders?" 

So now I just need to figure out the best way to attach them to the feeders. 

We got another few inches last night.  I don't mind the snow itself.  I get around ok.  What I do mind is that for the second week in a row, the garbage isn't being picked up.  And I have two cans totally full and nowhere else to put it.  I recycle a lot - and that's overflowing too but it's a bit easier to store extra recyclables in boxes without worrying about animals getting into it. 

• Like 1