Menu

Weight Loss Accountability Thread :)

MercyA

ondreeruh I missed the dress pics the other day, they are lovely and you look great!

I typically eat a smaller evening meal but my lunch is not necessarily my biggest meal. My breakfast and lunch are generally both similar in size. I cook regular meals for my family- I just have smaller servings. Ds and dh are out of the house all day and don't have the opportunity for multiple meals and snacks as we do and neither one is big on breakfast. They need bigger evening meals than we do. I've realized I feel better eating most of my food during the day and I end up eating less overall when I frontload my calories early in the day. Used to I would think, gah, I've had enough food I shouldn't eat more but no, that is not the way I work. 

• Like 1

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Just Kate said:

What are your “throw in the car” foods that prevent you from eating fast food?

I keep protein bars in my purse all the time to hold me over if needed.  

1 hour ago, ondreeuh said:

I did the 90s dance walk this morning and re-did the 2019 dance tonight. My arms got tired! I don’t think she always uses 8 beat sets in her routines so that throws me a bit, but it’s still such fun. She has professional ones for sale on her website and I might give one a try. I’ve spent so much $$ on videos lately but as long as I use them, it’s all good - right?

I'm glad your stomach is feeling better.  Thanks again for sharing the youtube workout.  I did one last night and may try another tonight.  She is so positive and upbeat, and the music is fun.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jyhwkmama said:

ETL is a wonderful book! I am primarily a plant based, whole foods eater and love Dr.Fuhrman. I have some of his refrigerator magnets as reminders to eat G-BOMBS.

That is so fun you are doing the same thing! I love not feeling so driven by hunger and what I'm going to eat. My husband also. For me there has been a lot of spiritual growth...realized how undisciplined I was with wanting to eat what I wanted when I wanted. I never thought I'd survive off sugar but it has been oddly, and surprisingly, freeing. Wouldn't have done it of my own accord though...We were really surprised at how much we didn't know about nutrition and the body...anyway, nice to meet you here 🙂

• Like 4

Well, I survived my doctor appt. - it wasn't bad at all.  I was just being a big baby.  I got really lightheaded and almost passed out in the parking lot after my appt. though!  I barely made it to my car and had to put my head between my legs and let the cold rain fall on me to feel better.  I had a drink with me so I had that and then drove home with the fan blowing cold air and the window open.  Surgery on my other hand is scheduled for Tuesday.  

And the appt. went quickly so it didn't mess up my eating for the day!  🙂  So far I'm on track.  I eat most of my food at night.  I know it's not ideal but it helps me stay on track to do it that way.  I think it's because I have more free time at night, which makes me want to snack.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, jjwoll said:

That is so fun you are doing the same thing! I love not feeling so driven by hunger and what I'm going to eat. My husband also. For me there has been a lot of spiritual growth...realized how undisciplined I was with wanting to eat what I wanted when I wanted. I never thought I'd survive off sugar but it has been oddly, and surprisingly, freeing. Wouldn't have done it of my own accord though...We were really surprised at how much we didn't know about nutrition and the body...anyway, nice to meet you here 🙂

Nice to meet you too! I have actually been mostly plant based since 2011 or 2012. If you have not seen the movie "Forks Over Knives" I highly recommend it.  ETL is a wonderful, well-researched book packed full of great info. Dr. Fuhrman's website is good too. (I only read the free stuff. I don't pay for a membership or anything and do not buy anything other than the few magnets.)

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ondreeuh said:

For breakfast he got coffee, 3 slices of wheat bread, and either spreadable cheese, Nutella, jam, or cookie butter. So basically caffeine and carbs.  

Was there lots of hot milk available at breakfast?  I don't know if it's the same, but when I went to France on an exchange when I was thirteen, it was expected to have a small amount of coffee in a big bowl with lots of hot milk.  Then the rest of the meal was the carbs.

My lunch and supper are about the same size.  Husband tends to have a sandwich for lunch then joins me for lean protein and lots of veg for supper.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jyhwkmama said:

Thank you! I've found it hard to find vegan protein bars. These look perfect.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Was there lots of hot milk available at breakfast?  I don't know if it's the same, but when I went to France on an exchange when I was thirteen, it was expected to have a small amount of coffee in a big bowl with lots of hot milk.  Then the rest of the meal was the carbs.

My lunch and supper are about the same size.  Husband tends to have a sandwich for lunch then joins me for lean protein and lots of veg for supper.

There wasn’t hot milk - he was given small packs of cream. I have never seen coffee in a bowl here, only in mugs; however, I don’t see what local people do in their homes. 

I talked with hubby and decided to keep making the interesting meals for supper, as that is when I have time to do it. I will just try to make my lunches more satisfying. I’m not sure I could eat a huge lunch to tide me over until dinner, but it would be nice to not clock-watch to snack time. 

I think tomorrow's lunch will be soup, salad, and a sandwich with yogurt for dessert. Then dinner will be a little pasta with veggies and sausage. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ondreeuh said:

There wasn’t hot milk - he was given small packs of cream. I have never seen coffee in a bowl here, only in mugs; however, I don’t see what local people do in their homes. 

I talked with hubby and decided to keep making the interesting meals for supper, as that is when I have time to do it. I will just try to make my lunches more satisfying. I’m not sure I could eat a huge lunch to tide me over until dinner, but it would be nice to not clock-watch to snack time. 

I think tomorrow's lunch will be soup, salad, and a sandwich with yogurt for dessert. Then dinner will be a little pasta with veggies and sausage. 

Even with a larger lunch, I still have a snack. It's usually just an apple or grapes but with that I'm usually okay until dinner.

• Like 3

As far as eating on the go I do like to have a protein bar to hold me over until I can get to healthier choices. I really don't like fast food so if I'm going to have a meal out and blow alot of calories I really don't want it to be fast food. Also individual packages of trail mix work for me. Aldi occasionally has packages that are the perfect size and about 150 calories. If I am out long enough to have planned I will pack cheese and/or lunch meat or hard boiled eggs. I've been known to run into a gas station just to pick up a protein bar to hold me over.

What do you guys like to get if you are eating out at a sit down restaurant and want to stay on plan? Dh and I are just starting to have times the kids are at activities and we sneak out for dinner just the two of us. We usually do Mexican and I get the street tacos (no cheese or sour cream).Usually I eat one with the tortilla and then just eat the rest with a fork and skip the tortilla. I still really enjoy it. I often get fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies. Some places have a soup and salad combo or I will just get a bowl of soup. What do you ladies like to eat when you are out but not looking to really indulge or celebrate? Of course, I always look at the salads but I eat salads every day at home made just the way I like them and restaurant salads are often loaded with calories and not as satisfying to me as the ones I make myself. 

If dh gets home in time we'll go out tonight while the kids are at church youth group. I've only got about 700 calories to work with. Maybe I should just eat a salad here and have a glass of wine as a treat. It really is just about grabbing a few minutes as a couple and not about the food. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

As far as eating on the go I do like to have a protein bar to hold me over until I can get to healthier choices. I really don't like fast food so if I'm going to have a meal out and blow alot of calories I really don't want it to be fast food. Also individual packages of trail mix work for me. Aldi occasionally has packages that are the perfect size and about 150 calories. If I am out long enough to have planned I will pack cheese and/or lunch meat or hard boiled eggs. I've been known to run into a gas station just to pick up a protein bar to hold me over.

What do you guys like to get if you are eating out at a sit down restaurant and want to stay on plan? Dh and I are just starting to have times the kids are at activities and we sneak out for dinner just the two of us. We usually do Mexican and I get the street tacos (no cheese or sour cream).Usually I eat one with the tortilla and then just eat the rest with a fork and skip the tortilla. I still really enjoy it. I often get fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies. Some places have a soup and salad combo or I will just get a bowl of soup. What do you ladies like to eat when you are out but not looking to really indulge or celebrate? Of course, I always look at the salads but I eat salads every day at home made just the way I like them and restaurant salads are often loaded with calories and not as satisfying to me as the ones I make myself. 

If dh gets home in time we'll go out tonight while the kids are at church youth group. I've only got about 700 calories to work with. Maybe I should just eat a salad here and have a glass of wine as a treat. It really is just about grabbing a few minutes as a couple and not about the food. 

Eating out is really tough unless it happens to be a fresh/light food type place.

That said, when I am going to eat out and want to stay on plan, I look at the menu online before I go and pick what will work best before I am there smelling/seeing the food. It also gives me extra time to make up my mind without pressure.

• Like 4

I almost forgot to update for today. Probably because it was an ordinary day without any real ups or downs.

I'm still faithfully eating my salads for lunch. 

I made vegan lasagna soup for dinner and only ate one serving which is hard because it's so darn good. I also did not buy or make any bread to go with it. So yay me.

And completely off topic, I'm also proud of myself for finishing a quilted Valentine wall hanging for my grand daughter's nursery. So it really has been a good, ordinary type of day.

• Like 4

@Kassia I'm sorry I missed your post about your hand. I was even waiting for you to update us and I still missed it. What a relief it wasn't as bad as you thought and I totally would have experienced the same lightheaded feeling and needed to put my head down between my knees. That reaction only happens when things are done to me but I could watch other people have surgery and not bat an eye. Also, good job staying on track! I would have absolutely indulged in some stress eating.

I feel bad posting a picture. Shoot I felt guilty just mentioning it. LOL

! T

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

• Like 6

I hope I'm not posting too much.  Usually I don't have so much free time but I can't do much while my hand is recovering.

@stephanier.1765 the wall hanging is absolutely gorgeous!  You are very talented.  What a precious gift to your granddaughter.  I am very happy I stayed on track today.  It was already an incredibly stressful day in addition to the stitches coming out.  I had stitches removed twice last year and was fine so I don't know why I reacted like that.  I hadn't eaten much before the appt. so maybe low blood sugar contributed to it.  I get lightheaded quickly if anything physical is going on with a loved one or if it's something like today - a gross painful wound.  One of the times I had stitches removed last year didn't go well and I was fine - not lightheaded at all.  

@teachermom2834 I also look at the menu before eating out but it is very hard for me.  I have mental food restrictions and am very limited on what I will eat.  We went to a wedding reception in October and I only ate a few bites of food because I couldn't bring myself to eat anything served.  The family member next to me made a huge deal about it and I was so embarrassed.  I made the excuse that my stomach was upset but she kept going on about it.  I told a friend about it and she said I should have just pushed the food around to make it look like I had eaten so I'll try that if it happens again. Friends are always inviting me to restaurants and I don't want to go.  I wish everything didn't revolve around food.  DH suggested we go get froyo next week for Valentine's Day (he knows I love it) but I don't want to go since I have no self-control there and I don't want to ruin my good streak of eating.  Hope you enjoy the time with your DH if he gets home in time.  🙂

Another good day complete!  I am feeling so happy about this and hope I can keep it up.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I hope I'm not posting too much.  Usually I don't have so much free time but I can't do much while my hand is recovering.

@stephanier.1765 the wall hanging is absolutely gorgeous!  You are very talented.  What a precious gift to your granddaughter.  I am very happy I stayed on track today.  It was already an incredibly stressful day in addition to the stitches coming out.  I had stitches removed twice last year and was fine so I don't know why I reacted like that.  I hadn't eaten much before the appt. so maybe low blood sugar contributed to it.  I get lightheaded quickly if anything physical is going on with a loved one or if it's something like today - a gross painful wound.  One of the times I had stitches removed last year didn't go well and I was fine - not lightheaded at all.  

@teachermom2834 I also look at the menu before eating out but it is very hard for me.  I have mental food restrictions and am very limited on what I will eat.  We went to a wedding reception in October and I only ate a few bites of food because I couldn't bring myself to eat anything served.  The family member next to me made a huge deal about it and I was so embarrassed.  I made the excuse that my stomach was upset but she kept going on about it.  I told a friend about it and she said I should have just pushed the food around to make it look like I had eaten so I'll try that if it happens again. Friends are always inviting me to restaurants and I don't want to go.  I wish everything didn't revolve around food.  DH suggested we go get froyo next week for Valentine's Day (he knows I love it) but I don't want to go since I have no self-control there and I don't want to ruin my good streak of eating.  Hope you enjoy the time with your DH if he gets home in time.  🙂

Another good day complete!  I am feeling so happy about this and hope I can keep it up.

I am on the serial poster bus tonight too!

I just want to say that I am angry for you about that wedding. People need to mind their own business when it come to food. Seriously. Everyone should have autonomy with no judgement when eating. Most of the people on this board are more civilized than I am. I might have told her to "pound sand" using less PG language or t least called her out on why was she soooo interested in what I was eating.  You have my permission to be less nice next time if that works for you. 

• Like 3

@Kassia You can't post too much. Losing weight is a whole life challenge so it can't be reduced down to just what we eat but what we do and what we feel. And sharing those life challenges or life wins can be just as important as our eating wins and losses. Support comes in all kinds of different packages and getting a boost regarding your rough day may just what you need to stay on your diet track.

• Like 3

Greetings, all! I really love this thread. Thank you all so much.

Here is my happy news for the day: tonight someone at church told me I looked like I'd lost weight!!!! 🎉And I've only lost about 4.5 lbs. It made my night. 

I am about 75 calories over today, but happy with that, especially since I made some brookies (brownies + cookies) to take to church and only had a small piece. :) 

@stephanier.1765, that quilt is absolutely AMAZING!!! Seriously, I am in awe.

@Kassia, it really annoys me that someone was so incredibly rude to you about your food choices at the wedding. What is *wrong* with people? It's so completely and utterly none.of.their.business. Wish I could have been there to tell her to lay off. Hugs.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Oh, my mother and I had a bit of a disagreement last night and I couldn’t sleep. I ended up eating 3 or 4 oz of almonds because I really don’t keep sweets in the house and I needed to stress/sad/angry/emotional eat. So I blew about 1000 calories and 10 senseless carbs. BOO!

Today was much better. I stayed below my calorie and carb limit and really worked off some frustration with a longer cardio+ strength workout. 

I’m on my cycle, so I’m a bit bloated and touchy. I think I’m just trying to survive this week without gaining any weight, LOL. I’ll try to resume losing weight next week!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

I have mental food restrictions and am very limited on what I will eat.  We went to a wedding reception in October and I only ate a few bites of food because I couldn't bring myself to eat anything served.  The family member next to me made a huge deal about it and I was so embarrassed.  I made the excuse that my stomach was upset but she kept going on about it.  I told a friend about it and she said I should have just pushed the food around to make it look like I had eaten so I'll try that if it happens again. Friends are always inviting me to restaurants and I don't want to go.  I wish everything didn't revolve around food.  DH suggested we go get froyo next week for Valentine's Day (he knows I love it) but I don't want to go since I have no self-control there and I don't want to ruin my good streak of eating.  Hope you enjoy the time with your DH if he gets home in time.  🙂

I understand what you mean. I told dh that I have become a picky eater - nothing sounds good because everything has so much baggage. It's not just good-tasting food, it's calories, and it means either gaining weight or restricting somewhere else to offset the calories, and I don't want to do either. I just want to stay on my plan and be left alone. I bought this mustard-seed cheese that is amazing, but I still haven't opened it, because while it's good, it's not GOOD ENOUGH for 130 cal a slice.

This sounds kind of macabre, but Feb. 16th is the day that I will have outlived my mother (she died at 41; my father later remarried so I have a mom but it's a different mom ... long story). My mother's favorite city was London and she LOVED high tea so I toyed around with the idea of going there for the day, but the train is too expensive at the last minute. So then I thought about getting high tea somewhere around here, but who knows if it's any good, and it will just be disappointing if it's expensive and not worth it. Then I thought I could just make some scones and sandwiches at home. But why spend a million calories on food here just because my mom liked it? Do I even like scones more than chocolate (no)? So we probably won't do a food thing after all because I took all the fun out of it. I miss not over-thinking food, but I don't miss being obese. Sigh.

I'm making treats for a fundraiser. I decided to make mini tiramisus because I won't be tempted to eat them all myself like I would with brownies or cookies. Tiramisu is okay but it doesn't call to me.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Kassia said:

Well, I survived my doctor appt. - it wasn't bad at all.  I was just being a big baby.  I got really lightheaded and almost passed out in the parking lot after my appt. though!  I barely made it to my car and had to put my head between my legs and let the cold rain fall on me to feel better.  I had a drink with me so I had that and then drove home with the fan blowing cold air and the window open.  Surgery on my other hand is scheduled for Tuesday.  

And the appt. went quickly so it didn't mess up my eating for the day!  🙂  So far I'm on track.  I eat most of my food at night.  I know it's not ideal but it helps me stay on track to do it that way.  I think it's because I have more free time at night, which makes me want to snack.  

Ya!!!

14 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Even with a larger lunch, I still have a snack. It's usually just an apple or grapes but with that I'm usually okay until dinner.

I generally have a snack around 10 and 3 but meals are usually big enough those are because I want to, not because I have to have them.

12 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

hat do you guys like to get if you are eating out at a sit down restaurant and want to stay on plan? Dh and I are just starting to have times the kids are at activities and we sneak out for dinner just the two of us. We usually do Mexican and I get the street tacos (no cheese or sour cream).Usually I eat one with the tortilla and then just eat the rest with a fork and skip the tortilla. I still really enjoy it. I often get fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies. Some places have a soup and salad combo or I will just get a bowl of soup. What do you ladies like to eat when you are out but not looking to really indulge or celebrate? Of course, I always look at the salads but I eat salads every day at home made just the way I like them and restaurant salads are often loaded with calories and not as satisfying to me as the ones I make myself.

LOL, we've not gotten there, either we don't have time or money. Last year we may have eaten out twice. I can't eat gluten so I usually go w/ a steak/ baked potato or bunless burger

10 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

IMG_1954.JPG

It is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

Oh, my mother and I had a bit of a disagreement last night and I couldn’t sleep. I ended up eating 3 or 4 oz of almonds because I really don’t keep sweets in the house and I needed to stress/sad/angry/emotional eat. So I blew about 1000 calories and 10 senseless carbs. BOO!

Today was much better. I stayed below my calorie and carb limit and really worked off some frustration with a longer cardio+ strength workout. 

I’m on my cycle, so I’m a bit bloated and touchy. I think I’m just trying to survive this week without gaining any weight, LOL. I’ll try to resume losing weight next week!

blah.... I hear you... I hope today is a better one!

Today I hit my January goal, which is 3# from my final goal. Last time I stopped at the upper end of my preferred weight range (after gaining weight from thyroid disease). But if you stop at the upper end you maintain there and above. I realized I'd have to lose a couple more pounds more to stay maintaining where I like. I figure it will only get harder with menopause coming, I know what the hormones can do!

This month's goal is 1.5#

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

Today I hit my January goal, which is 3# from my final goal. Last time I stopped at the upper end of my preferred weight range (after gaining weight from thyroid disease). But if you stop at the upper end you maintain there and above. I realized I'd have to lose a couple more pounds more to stay maintaining where I like. I figure it will only get harder with menopause coming, I know what the hormones can do!

Consider the "thanks" icon a trophy for your success! 

I am trying to dip a few pounds to be a bit lower than my "maximum" but progress here is slow and unsteady. Great job!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ondreeuh said:

Consider the "thanks" icon a trophy for your success! 

I am trying to dip a few pounds to be a bit lower than my "maximum" but progress here is slow and unsteady. Great job!!

Thanks, same here. Jan I made no progress due to hormonal rollercoaster. Hormones and thyroid if those would behave I'd be good but I'm just starting hormonal wonkyness! Thyroid mostly lined out last year just in time for hormones I guess!

Edited by soror

Re:  the family member who wouldn't leave me alone about not eating at the reception.  I should have posted that this was a very sweet older woman and one of the few in-laws who is actually nice to me.  It made me uncomfortable but I know that wasn't her intention.  But, yes, people need to mind their own business when it comes to food (and a lot of other things!).  One of my sons eats enormous amounts of food because he has a high metabolism and he gets comments all the time about how much he eats.  Sometimes it really gets to him.

15 hours ago, MercyA said:

Greetings, all! I really love this thread. Thank you all so much.

Here is my happy news for the day: tonight someone at church told me I looked like I'd lost weight!!!! 🎉And I've only lost about 4.5 lbs. It made my night. 

I am about 75 calories over today, but happy with that, especially since I made some brookies (brownies + cookies) to take to church and only had a small piece. 🙂

I love this thread, too!  It has been helpful for me in many ways.  I'm glad that someone noticed your weight loss and it made ou so happy!  🙂  Brookies are dangerous!  Nice job stopping at one small piece.  I can't even make them because of the temptation.

13 hours ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

Glad you had a better day and you were able to use a workout to get rid of some frustration!  Sorry about the disagreement with your mom and the emotional eating.  I hate when that happens.  At least you had something really healthy to eat.  😛

10 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

I understand what you mean. I told dh that I have become a picky eater - nothing sounds good because everything has so much baggage. It's not just good-tasting food, it's calories, and it means either gaining weight or restricting somewhere else to offset the calories, and I don't want to do either. I just want to stay on my plan and be left alone.

Yes!  This is exactly how I feel (when I'm on plan).

How awful that your mom died so young.  That must have been very difficult for you and your family.  I hope you can find a way to spend Feb. 16th in a way that honors your mother but also makes you comfortable.  

7 hours ago, soror said:

Woo-hoo!  Congratulations!  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

!Today was much better. I stayed below my calorie and carb limit and really worked off some frustration with a longer cardio+ strength workout. 

Hang in there - day by day.

9 hours ago, soror said:

Well done!

Starting to feel better after my cold.  I'm still having to sleep sitting up to avoid coughing, but daytime I'm okay.  I managed to walk a very gentle 8,000 steps today and do a full day's work (busy at the moment because of of my colleagues is off work).  I've been snacking too much - I need to take a deep breath and remember my goals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I know there were others that I wanted to respond to.  I am reading all your posts and cheering you on, commiserating with those that need to vent, and so very happy for this group.

Me too. I'm reading them all and rooting you on in your efforts. This group is truly keeping me on course. I have been trying for months to lose weight but I kept sliding back into old habits so knowing that I have this group to update every day has helped me make better choices. DH and I were at Costco this afternoon and he pointed out that they had some of my favorite desserts for sale. But I stayed true and said no to them all. So thank you to everyone.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Hang in there - day by day.

Well done!

Starting to feel better after my cold.  I'm still having to sleep sitting up to avoid coughing, but daytime I'm okay.  I managed to walk a very gentle 8,000 steps today and do a full day's work (busy at the moment because of of my colleagues is off work).  I've been snacking too much - I need to take a deep breath and remember my goals.

You got this! Make some snacks a "yes" so you can "no" to the other ones. I'm so glad you are feeling better and were able to get some exercise in. Great job, truly!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

You got this! Make some snacks a "yes" so you can "no" to the other ones. I'm so glad you are feeling better and were able to get some exercise in. Great job, truly!

Thanks.  I have a grocery delivery scheduled for tomorrow evening.  I just removed one item that has been involved in extra snacking.  There are lots of veggies to snack on, after all.

• Like 3

Hello everyone. Things have been just rolling along here today. I lifted weights and eating is on track. I am determined to really focus the rest of this month. My goal is to hit 130 by 3/3. 3-4 lbs to go. I am in the slow zone, so I need to stay on task.

I enjoy hearing about everyone's light bulb moments and successes. Keep going!

• Like 2

@stephanier.1765 that quilt is amazing!   

@Big Buckin' Longhorn - sorry for the argument and bad night of sleep. I struggle to make good food choices when I've slept poorly.  Hopefully, today was better.

@ondreeuh - so very sorry about your mom.  May she rest in peace.  I love the idea of honoring you mom with high tea.  Don't over-think it and give yourself a day off if you want.  

@soror - I like the idea of monthly mini-goals. 

I'm hanging in there.  Still coming in under my personal calorie count... but my weight hasn't budged.  I realize it's only 3 days, but I'm impatient.  LOL.   I've lost 7 lbs since the beginning of year, but I'm stuck there.  I don't want to give up in frustration, but it would be nice for some affirmation. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

@stephanier.1765.  Your quilt is beautiful!  Thank you for sharing.  You are very talented.

@Kassia.   I swear every single post you make about eating is one that I could have written myself.  Truly....every.single.post.you.make.   In fact, until you opened up, I thought I was alone with this particular set of multiple food issues.  I appreciate your openness and posts so much.

@ondreeuh.   As for honoring your mom....since she liked high tea one thought that came to me was you could make a really good cup of tea, get some pretty flowers, use a pretty cup and saucer, and spend some time drinking tea and reminiscing about her.  You could even spend some time writing her a letter while you drink your tea.  Tell her all the things you have been doing, about your life, how you miss her....whatever you want to say to her.  If you don't want to keep the letter, burn it when it your done.  I believe in my heart she will be reading the letter as your write it, and will be sharing the tea with you.  

I love the idea for the tea!  

I try to be open about my disordered eating to help others struggling to know they are not alone.  I don't know how to handle it with my kids, though.  I've never openly discussed it with them but they know my eating/exercise is off.  I am especially careful with dd and am grateful that she seems to have a very healthy attitude towards food/exercise for now.  

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm impressed that you got in 8,000 steps with work and not sleeping from the cold!  

• Like 1

My eating was on track again today and I worked out. So M-Thursday I have stuck to my calorie goals and worked out almost an hour every day. Friday is my "official" weigh in day. I am not getting my hopes up because I just just don't lose much at all on a weekly basis. I probably would need to cut my calories even more to see a more dramatic loss and I just am not willing to go down below what I feel is sustainable long term. This is a change in mindset as I have lost weight several times but always quickly by doing something extreme. I'm just done with all that but I do miss the gratification of the fast and steady loss. 

I only work out M-F so all I need to do is get up in the morning and do one last workout and I'll have met my exercise goal for the week and can sleep in on the weekend 🙂 

• Like 4

Today was more of a struggle for me.  I've been hungry and the hunger even kept me up last night quite a bit.  I allowed myself some cheese earlier for an extra 100 calories plus protein/fat.  I'm trying to stick to that for today but I don't want to get so hungry that I end up binging.  I think my calorie deficit to lose weight is probably too low and that's why I'm so hungry.  I'm still obsessing about the cheese and feel silly about that.  Normal eaters eat when they are hungry, right?  They don't white-knuckle it until their next scheduled meal in spite of feeling lousy.  It's so ridiculous.  I'd love to live DH's life for just one day and see what it's like to never worry about food and calories.  

• Like 3

@PrincessMommy Plateaus are incredibly frustrating. A few years ago I lost almost a 100 lbs but just as I was getting close to my goal, I plateaued for months. The only thing you can do is stay the course and let your body do the work it has to do.

@teachermom2834 Good job on meeting your goals! Hopefully things will look better tomorrow than you think. I totally understand what you are saying about sustainability. That's been my mantra too after too many fails. All I can do is try to be healthy and hope that leads to some weight loss. If it doesn't, well at least I'm healthy. 🙂

@Kassia Eat when you're hungry! But first make sure that's what your body is telling you. Sometimes thirst makes us think we are hungry when a good slug of water will take care of the problem. So eat when you are hungry but make good choices about what to consume and then reevaluate why you were hungry so you can try to head it off next time. Easier said then done, right? 😕

Today went according to plan but I probably ate too much leftover vegan lasagna soup. I didn't use my regular portion size bowl because I don't like the way it heats up in the microwave. Instead I ate out of the Pyrex bowl it was stored in. Then my mouth was hot from using too much red pepper in the soup so I had an extra serving of grapes to cool it down. It worked and at least they were just grapes. Water didn't even touch it. LOL And since I'm vegan, milk was out of the question. So yay for grapes?

• Like 3

Cadbury Mini Eggs. Today and yesterday I was crazy tempted to buy some and I totally can't stop at a few.(and once was at Sam's Club and those bags are HUGE!) But I didn't! I've been at or under calorie goal the whole week. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 4

Ok, I'm finishing up the day with just the cheese as going above what I planned and I really do think I needed it.   

@teachermom2834 hope you get a nice surprise when you have your weigh-in tomorrow.  If not, you know you made good choices and the scale will move in time.  You're right that it's so important to have a diet that's sustainable even if the weight loss takes longer.  I think you're more likely to lose fat that way, too, and not precious muscle.  

@peacelovehomeschooling I'm so glad that I've made you feel less alone!  🙂  I'm not good with words and wish I were better at expressing what I want to say so that means a lot.  I always have an apple before bed so I did have something to eat.  It makes me feel better knowing I have something left to eat at the end of the day!  I will definitely have to tweak my diet after my other surgery next week.  I'll have two rest days and then some easier exercise days so I shouldn't be as hungry on those days.  Once I increase my exercise duration and intensity I'll have to find the right balance or at least get closer to it.  

• Like 2

Good evening, all! Minor successes today, thanks to all of you:

DH and DD had drive thru fast food for dinner, but I abstained from ordering anything and came home and had a salad. I almost *never* eat salad. It was actually really good and I'm craving more!

DD made a cake today with homemade buttercream frosting. Usually I would have thoroughly scraped both the batter bowl and any icing not claimed by DH or DD. I just had a tiny bit of each and put utensils, bowls, etc. in the dishwasher with some icing and batter left on them! Seems a bit like sacrilege but I know it's for the best. 😉

I bought some Laughing Cow wedges and they are SO GOOD. They taste so indulgent for only 30 calories. I used to buy them frequently but honestly kind of forgot they existed until ondreeuh (I think) mentioned them here. I've been looking for Wasa crisps without success-may have to try Amazon.

I'm only 19 calories over today and I'm happy with that. :) 

Good night!

• Like 5

@MercyA Congratulations on staying strong! I don't think I could have done it. Once something is in the house, I have a hard time staying at one or none so I admire your fortitude.

@Pen Winter is hard for me too. I live in Florida so it doesn't really make sense for my body to fatten up and hibernate but that is exactly what it feels like. Ugh.

Lately, I have been substituting sugar free gum instead of junk when I'm hit with cravings. Because I'm a vegan, I try to understand my cravings. Sugar? Eat a piece of fruit. Fat? Have a tablespoon of peanut butter or a handful of nuts. Salt? I haven't figured out what to do for salt yet. If I've tried all that, then I go for the gum. It's hard though this journey that we are all on. Even at my lowest weight, I'm always fighting what my mind wants against what my body needs.

• Like 3

I am down half a pound today. I'll take it. I know I am doing the right things and the scale is consistently trending downward.

I was feeling pretty good and then I got a text from 18 yo ds who is a freshman in college 500 miles away. He bombed a test because he got sick in the middle of it and he is sad because his girlfriend dumped him. So now I am just anxious and upset for him and worried about him. It is so hard being far away. It also just seems like everyone can't be happy at the same time. With four kids plus dh and I, someone is always struggling. Just yesterday I would have said everything is going great for everyone but now I'm worried about ds in a rough patch. I'm pretty sure I just got the desperate text when he felt like everything was crashing down. I'm glad he can reach out to me but it is also hard to be the person who just is on the receiving end of the big unload. He's working today and he really likes his job. Hopefully he can stay busy this weekend and start feeling better. Just ugh ugh ugh. He has survived break ups before. I just reminded him it will pass and things will look up soon. I keep reminding myself people survive getting dumped all the time. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MeaganS said:

Cadbury Mini Eggs. Today and yesterday I was crazy tempted to buy some and I totally can't stop at a few.(and once was at Sam's Club and those bags are HUGE!) But I didn't! I've been at or under calorie goal the whole week. 

I have two packets coming in my delivery, but they are for my boys at university.  One for each and not to be opened.  Oh, and fresh toothbrushes for each of them too.

15 hours ago, MercyA said:

I bought some Laughing Cow wedges and they are SO GOOD. They taste so indulgent for only 30 calories.

This is what I had in my shopping basket for delivery this evening, but I had to take them out.  I can put a whole round in my face at one go.

I'll be at just about 8,000 steps again today.  Having a dog who needs exercise to evacuate helps: it's walk the dog or clean up the accident.  I remembered to pre-eat this evening.  The delivery is between 7 and 8 and there's a lightly-smoked salmon fillet coming and some samphire.  But I can't safely wait that long, so I sauted a big bowl of cabbage to munch on while I wait.  If it's too long, I'll make some Redbush too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I am down half a pound today. I'll take it. I know I am doing the right things and the scale is consistently trending downward.

I was feeling pretty good and then I got a text from 18 yo ds who is a freshman in college 500 miles away. He bombed a test because he got sick in the middle of it and he is sad because his girlfriend dumped him. So now I am just anxious and upset for him and worried about him. It is so hard being far away. It also just seems like everyone can't be happy at the same time. With four kids plus dh and I, someone is always struggling. Just yesterday I would have said everything is going great for everyone but now I'm worried about ds in a rough patch. I'm pretty sure I just got the desperate text when he felt like everything was crashing down. I'm glad he can reach out to me but it is also hard to be the person who just is on the receiving end of the big unload. He's working today and he really likes his job. Hopefully he can stay busy this weekend and start feeling better. Just ugh ugh ugh. He has survived break ups before. I just reminded him it will pass and things will look up soon. I keep reminding myself people survive getting dumped all the time. 

It's hard when they are away, and you just want to pick them up and make it better.  Making a pot of hot tea helps me.  What can you do to feel better?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

It's hard when they are away, and you just want to pick them up and make it better.  Making a pot of hot tea helps me.  What can you do to feel better?

Thank you. For now I am just trying to stay busy. My 10 yo dd has a speech contest tonight and she is just so adorable. I will enjoy that and I'll put my phone away during it and honestly it helps to disconnect and not worry about if he is texting me or whatever. So that distraction will be good. I am sure he will be fine but it just is hurting my heart today. More than it normally would...I think I must have my own hormonal stuff creeping up on me. Sigh. 

• Like 5

@teachermom2834 I remember the time my middle son first got dumped. It was so hard to watch his pain. I was so furious by it all. Seeing our children in pain and not being able to do anything about it so hard. I hate it! Hopefully, your son bounces back quickly. His Hive aunties will be thinking about him. And well done on the weight loss. You go, girl!

@Laura Corin Do you saute anything with your cabbage? I'm curious about how you make this. And well done to you too for getting those steps in. Dogs are good for our health in so many ways. I wish I could convince my dh of this. 🙂

This morning I went to the base to pick up some medication. From the time I pulled my number, to the time I got checked in was 90 minutes. I still had to wait another hour to actually receive my medication. Unfortunately, this all happened over the lunch hour and I ended up really hungry so a I bought a bag of trail mix. I think I'm going to count that as lunch because now it is too late to have any. I have grabbed some grapes though. But the trail mix was surprisingly filling and even if I had eaten the whole bag (which I didn't), I would have still come in the calorie range I shoot for at lunch time. I don't count calories per say but I do keep a general idea of how much I'm eating so I don't go crazy. Looking at the calorie count on some things marked vegan (making me think it was healthy) has scared me enough to pass on them.

Edited by stephanier.1765
brain fart
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

@Laura Corin Do you saute anything with your cabbage? I'm curious about how you make this.

It was a very simple version: just a little olive oil, a few smashed garlic cloves and some chopped cabbage.  Saute slowly until tender.  If it seems dry or looks as if it's going to catch, add a little broth/stock.  I often add fresh ginger at the beginning too, but strong tastes are catching in my throat at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, Laura Corin said:

It was a very simple version: just a little olive oil, a few smashed garlic cloves and some chopped cabbage.  Saute slowly until tender.  If it seems dry or looks as if it's going to catch, add a little broth/stock.  I often add fresh ginger at the beginning too, but strong tastes are catching in my throat at the moment.

This is such a great tip. Thank you so much!

• Like 2