Menu

Supplements or Tips for staying healthy

omishev

I constantly get colds. Granted, I have young kids and one is currently in school and the other two regularly go to the childcare at our gym and are exposed to lots of other kids. But still.... We eat well, I am very strict with myself about sleep. I have maintained very high intensity workouts since high school sports but when I feel something coming on I do take a couple days off or just do something light like yoga or walking. I eat well. I take a women's multi, fish oil, and vitamin D. I tried probiotics sporadically but every time I took them I got an upset stomach. I make an elderberry and rosehip syrup that I take whenever I feel something coming on but should probably just take all the time. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

A small amount of added zinc, vitamin A in safe to supplement forms, maybe additional D, and/or cod liver oil for added A and D.     Possibly B-Complex and C beyond the multi.  Possibly turmeric, ginger and or garlic.

I take Banderol or similar at first signs of illness, and have stopped a couple this winter that way.

Natural sunlight if possible and if you can do it safely.  

“An apple a day” possibly citrus fruit whole.  ???

Agree with Arctic Bunny about washing hands, and not touching mucous membranes.  

Maybe stay on the elderberry more often (I like Sambucus).  Or even start your day with a tablespoon of  apple cider vinegar mixed in hot water (they also come in pill form).  I am like you, I eat healthy and exercise, but I do catch colds once in awhile, being around kids.    Or, get acupuncture.  Mine suggested that people go in at the start of each season as a treatment to ward off illnesses (I can't think of specific wording he used.)

• Like 1

the quality of the supplements does matter.  the molecular form the vitamins matter. (some are more absorbable than others)  where the fish live that give the fish oil matters.  (very cold water fish give better quality oil).  the olive oil is a better base for d3.

that said:

a number of years ago, I had a very weak immune system.  (I had a sinus infection every month, and had the flu twice in one season after getting the shot.  I know that shot kept me out of the hospital.)  I've had to do things to  help it.  liver function is important, and so much goes through it.

now, when I feel myself start to get a cold (thanks 2ds, he's usually the one to bring it home . . . toe tap. ), I take liposomal (very absorbable) vitamin c - and echinacea  EVERY. SINGLE. HOUR. for the first twenty four hours.  it almost always derails it and it never goes past those very first initial symptoms that say "something's coming".  then it's gone.

I have one shiatsu/massage therapist who swears by 1/2tsp of baking soda in warm water every day.  it reduces the acidity in the body that is common with the western diet.  I'm not as consistent, but I certainly noticed other benefits of doing that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ***** said:

Maybe stay on the elderberry more often (I like Sambucus).  Or even start your day with a tablespoon of  apple cider vinegar mixed in hot water (they also come in pill form).  I am like you, I eat healthy and exercise, but I do catch colds once in awhile, being around kids.    Or, get acupuncture.  Mine suggested that people go in at the start of each season as a treatment to ward off illnesses (I can't think of specific wording he used.)

unfiltered apple cider vinegar with "mother" (whatever that is) is best.  (according to rec's online)   it's only a few dollars for a bottle that will last you awhile.

you can add raw unpasteurized honey as well.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:03 AM, arctic_bunny said:

Other than hand washing and not touching eyes, nose, mouth, I don’t think there’s a whole lot you can do!

I am fanatical about these things and rarely get sick. I feel like I’m jinxing myself typing this, but I literally can’t even remember when I last had a cold. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 3

Can you explain how the 'measure your vitamin D'?  I have heard of people who know all their levels of zinc, etc. etc., but how does one find out?  I am thinking it is by going to a naturopath, which I don't have. And if so, what does one ask for when going to this kind of practice?

52 minutes ago, ***** said:

Can you explain how the 'measure your vitamin D'?  I have heard of people who know all their levels of zinc, etc. etc., but how does one find out?  I am thinking it is by going to a naturopath, which I don't have. And if so, what does one ask for when going to this kind of practice?

it's a blood test your dr would do.  consider 50 a minimum, and those who understand this recommend >70

most allopaths will run a d3 test without issue.  (you don't need a ND.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frances said:

I am fanatical about these things and rarely get sick. I feel like I’m jinxing myself typing this, but I literally can’t even remember when I last had a cold. At work, even after washing my hands before eating, I don’t eat anything with my hands. I use utensils for everything. During the winter, I always wear very thin gloves when out and about in public, so even if I touch something at a store or shop, my hands are covered. Plus they keep my hands warm. And I still wash my hands immediately when getting home from anywhere and taught my husband and son to do the same. I also don’t own a smart phone by choice for a variety of reasons. I always wonder how people can avoid germs when they are constantly touching public things and then using their phone. I know this might all sound extreme, but it’s actually all just routine and habit for me. I actually rarely think about germs or getting sick.

Edited to add that I don’t take any vitamins or supplements, but I do generally get enough sleep and exercise and fresh air.

Even with my comparatively meager hand washing, this last week has been the first time I thought I might actually have to call in sick since I started work 15 months ago. And I’m not even as fastidious about sanitizing our shared workstations as some (although I really should be!). Being conscious about not touching my face has been huge, I think. 

Since you know how to make the elderberry syrup, I would take a teaspoon of that everyday. Last year I was working with kindergarteners and I caught all of their colds. I started using Sambucol when I start feeling a cold coming on and have been very successful so far at having illness go away quickly or never come on fully. But it's expensive, so I only take it when I get that feeling in my throat. But if I had a large batch of homemade (and relatively cheap) elderberry syrup, I would take it daily as a preventative. The other recommendation is to work with high schoolers instead of kindergarteners--that's my job this year and I'm a lot healthier!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Think about iron.  You can get very run down if you are low on it, and catch every little thing that comes your way.

when doing iron labs - there are four.

ferritin

serum iron

percentage saturation

TIBC

these will tell you how your body is using iron, as well as the levels in the various areas.

I completely gave up on trying to understand why some people get sick and others don't, why some kids get sick and others don't.  We've had mixed winters, some sicker than others. 

I had a huge pity party a few years ago when my kids were sick non.freaking.stop all winter.  I mean, I breastfed, I buy organic, they are not in school, I make them wash hands, I cook mostly from scratch, I make fresh orange juice twice a week, starting in Sept, they are outside plenty, they eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and honey,  and I make elderberry tea and they get plenty of rest and they were sick sick sick - nothing major but colds, colds, colds.  I just wanted to cry.  And I did.  And then I said - screw it.  I still do most of those things, but mostly bc I think they are overall healthy not bc I think it will prevent anything.  Oh, and I pray a lot.  A lot!!!

• Like 1

I do think it's mostly genetic.  I know people who do everything right and still get sick all the time.  On the other hand, I could do anything and rarely get sick.  It's not fair, but it's the way it is.  For those who are predisposed to getting sick a lot, I think eating well, getting enough sleep, and getting at least some light exercise can help.  I think your body will adapt over the years and get stronger.  I do think vitamin D and making sure to get enough iron can help.

I do think a lot of it must be genetic or something.  My kids and I hardly ever get sick (<<knock on wood>>), usually it's just one cold a year.  I teach kids of all ages, am Vitamin D deficient most of the time, and was pretty severely anemic last year.  I take Emergen-C, bone broth almost every day, and a multi-vitamin with iron about once a week.   I do wash my hands a ton because I'm teaching science classes and do a lot of clean-up and a lot of dishes.  I have allergies which I medicate fairly well for.  We eat well, I don't always sleep well, and don't get enough exercise.  

My kids are super bad at washing their hands, my son doesn't have the greatest diet (although we have gotten him to take supplements recently), although dd eats mostly what we do.

You can do a lot to improve your ability to stay well.

Enough sleep and a bedtime ideally around 9-10 is important, but sounds like you’re doing that. It’s also helpful to use amber light and avoid blue light (and sleep in total darkness) starting in the evening because light is one way our bodies control circadian rhythms which play an extremely important role in health. Bright light, about 10,000 lux upon waking to get day time hormones going. Satchin Panda studies circadian rhythms.

Meditation for at least 8” per day.

Read about Wim Hof, the Ice Man and how safe exposure to cold can alter immune syste. Wim and people he trains are being studied for this. No need to be as extreme, either. Short, cold showers can benefit as well. Wim’s interview with Rhonda Patrick and her notes explaining the science behind his method would be a good place to start. Saunas, too, if you can do those. Rhonda explains how they help immune system, too.

A mixture of dried mushrooms. Paul Stamet’s Host Defense brand would be a good choice. Mushrooms have incredible properties and are one of the foods recommended by Bruce Ames (researcher) in his Triage Theory to support good health and longevity.

Raw garlic.

Brassicas for the sulforaphane. If cooked, sprinkle liberally with ground mustard which supplies myrosinase, destroyed by cooking. (The glucoraphanin in the plant needs myrosinase to convert to sulforaphane.)

Eating a variety of fibery foods, veggies especially. Jicama and sunchoke. Fermented foods like sauerkraut that you make yourself for some probiotics. Eating the right amount of protein per day since excess protein affects the mTOR pathway. I aim for 42 and no more. I also think choline is going to be a major player in health in many ways. A lot of people need more.

Those are just a few tips I can think of off the top of my head. 

Edited by BeachGal

When my twins were little, one of them was constantly bringing a virus home. And they weren't in daycare --  I couldn't figure it out!!

Anyway, I know this will sound woo-woo, but studies show that it works for some, not for others: Coldeeze. It works on me. If I feel any symptom of a cold I take one immediately and every four hours that entire day. The next  morning I wake up feeling fine. I know that sounds bizarre, but I've been using them for about nine years now. (It doesn't work, for example on a flu which I had a couple of months ago.)

Can't hurt to try it, to see if it'll help.

Alley

What will help can depend a great deal on what might be causing low immunity.  If immunity is low because something like zinc or Vitamin C, D, A etc level is sub optimum, then supplementing the thing(s) you could use more of in a proper dose for your body, good form, and way that allows it to be absorbed may help hugely.