Menu

Oh mercy me what have I done?

fairfarmhand

My dd had a fundraiser at a skating rink tonight. 

Like every child of the 80s I remember spending hours skating. 

I am no longer that person.

the good: I didn’t fall or twist anything. No injuries per se. 

however...

on the way home my legs begin screaming at me: “you fool! What on earth were you thinking!”

I’m remembering muscles I’ve not used in ages. 

Tell me what I need to do tonight so I can walk to the bathroom in the morning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I was overzealous in getting back to working out after the holidays and I did a lower body workout that really left me so sore I was hobbling around. Steps and using the bathroom were not fun. I did try to keep moving (slowly) waking around the house, running errands, etc because that seems to help. Bad news is it was about 72 hrs after onset of soreness before it really started to subside. Good news is I did the same workout yesterday and I only had a very mild bit of soreness today. So I think you should go skating again! The first time is by far the worst.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

You need to keep loose.

And also.............keep skating.  Seriously.  

We have free skate passes for the local rink.  The more I go with the kids, the less sore I am.

Also, can you skate backwards?  I know that's weird, but next time you go (assuming you go again.....please tell me you are going again so I am not the only 40 yr old woman on this board who goes skating with her kids............and owns her own roller skates............) try alternating between regular and backwards.  They work different muscles.  It evens out the muscle soreness.  

I’d like to try backwards. Tonight I was glad to be skating forwards without falling. May get more adventurous next time. And I’m considering those passes.

LOL.  When my kids were 6 I took us to the church's skating party - nostalgia from when I was 6 in 1972.  Ha!

I knew it was a bad idea when I fell on top of both of my kids.  I thought it was rather hilarious, but I don't think anyone else was laughing.

I think they quit having church skating parties after that.  Oh well.  😛  Not that I would have dared try that again.

Good luck tomorrow, LOL.

• Like 1

We go to the skating rink at least once a month, but I don't skate with my kids. I wish I could work up the courage to! I had knee surgery a few years ago and my knee still acts up on me. I know skating is a lower-impact workout than walking, but I'm terrified of falling and injuring my knee again. (I wasn't particularly *good* at skating even as a kid...my kids are way better at it than I was.)

I hope your soreness improves soon, and I agree with @happysmileylady that the best plan for your muscles is to keep going back and skating more!

I took my daughter and friend skating the other day, I was way more awkward than I remembered. I never fell, but I had many close calls!  I would skate 2-3 laps, sit a couple minutes massaging by my shins, then skate a couple more laps. I was pretty sore the rest of the day, but felt decent the next. 

My mom and sister both do roller derby, I have a lot of respect for them because I was doing good to stay upright and to make more than two loops before my shins hurt.