Menu

My annual "how to time church and dinner" Christmas Eve post

ktgrok

Seriously, why is the so hard for me every year, lol?

The kids are in the Christmas Pageant this year at our new church. We've never done that before, but it seems a good way to plug in to the new parish. They have to be there at 4:30pm, the pageant is at 5pm, followed by a Christmas Eve service at 5:30. I imagine that will easily go until 6:45pm, and we won't be home until 7:15 or later. 

We normally eat dinner around 5:30-6pm, 6:30 at the latest. 

So how do I do this? Also, because I seem to enjoy making things difficult, I like Christmas Eve dinner to be something fun or different or special. So ham sandwiches in the car won't cut it. Last year we did a 4pm service, and then had a charcuterie board at home afterwards, since that was super fast and didn't require heating up. But it's going to be too late to do dinner after the service this year.

I'm thinking an early dinner, then snacks at home before bed?

Edited by Ktgrok

This exact issue is why we stay home on the 24th and go to church on the 25th! Nobody thinks it takes any time to cook. 😕

In your shoes I'd do the big meal as a late lunch, offer leftovers as an afternoon snack, and serve dessert after getting home.

• Like 1

*sigh* I never know either. One year we went out to dinner after church, but that was no good. It took us ages to get seated and dh was cranky and tired and just ate his meal in an annoyed manner. Yay! Happy Christmas! 🙄

I’m trying to figure this out myself. Usually we go to my Aunt and Uncle’s house on Christmas Eve, but this year we’re not. So, we get to go to church. Our service starts at 5:30 and will likely last an hour. I’m thinking a crock pot soup and some fresh bread.

I’d do the big meal as a late lunch, then something snack-like at dinner. If you want special, you can do a fondue. Trader Joe’s has a great one that you microwave or there are fool-proof blender recipes that you can finish quickly when you get home. Everything can be prepped ahead. 

21 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

This exact issue is why we stay home on the 24th and go to church on the 25th! Nobody thinks it takes any time to cook. 😕

In your shoes I'd do the big meal as a late lunch, offer leftovers as an afternoon snack, and serve dessert after getting home.

I think this is exactly what we will do. Eat around 2pm or so. Do dessert after. That didn't even occur to me. Maybe I'll do a hot chocolate bar type thing when we get back, the kids love that when we've done it out at other places. With some liquor for the adults to add to theirs 🙂

17 minutes ago, marbel said:

Fun appetizer-type foods with protein and fat before going to church.  Light snacks if necessary, and dessert when you get home.  Save the big meal for Christmas Day (or not, if you don't want one).   

We will actually do a big meal at my mom's on Christmas day, so I won't need to cook then. Just bring a dessert or something. 

14 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

What about a set of ham sandwiches before the church thing, then, a total junk food dinner after you get back, completely with a selection of Christmas movies like Rudolph, Frosty, etc.  You could do cheap and junky stuff like pizza rolls, buffalo wings, loaded fries, etc.  

I think it will just be too late to do all that when we get home. By the time the pizza rolls were heated up the kids would need to be in bed. 

One Christmas Eve, DH was deployed. Our daughters and I agreed to do take out after the 8:30pm Christmas Eve service. Well, the service ran a little long. As we drove up to our usually take out place, it was closed😳We tried another place but it was closed too🧐. We finally drove home and had frozen dinners😊DH was gone the next Christmas too but we got it early and warmed it up afterwards🎄Lesson learned🎄🎄🎄

In our rite, Christmas Eve is a fast and abstinence day, so we have a lightish vegetarian meal with relatives, and save services and feasting for Christmas Day (and the eleven days after that...).

I think your instincts for a cold dinner, already prepared, at home, are good and reasonable; if you could move the big meal to Christmas Day, it sounds like it would take a lot of stress off of you. That's one busy and joyful-sounding Christmas Eve you have going!

Edited by Violet Crown
incompetent spelling