Menu

City living: NYC, Philly, Chicago

QueenCat

Dh's company is interviewing for three positions (same job, different locales) that dh is really interested in. We've never done "city living." If it should come to pass, I'd love feedback on lifestyles, housing, etc. We are very interested in living in the actual city. Something different. I know that the company gives housing subsidies for all three of these locations. NYC is $4500/month, Chicago is $3800/month, and Philly is $3500/month. This is non-taxed and would be above what we put in. We'd put in another $2000. So, is $6500/month do-able for NYC (job is in Brooklyn, I think), $5800/Chicago, $5500 in Philly? One kid, in college, will come with us. Bare minimum requirements: 2000 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a room that can be a study, separate dining room, decent sized family room, eat-in kitchen. Safe area, for a city...

You can run some cost of living comparisons between the 3 cities at:

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/

Honestly, given the amounts and locations, I think Chicago is the best bang for your buck.  My friends live about 30 min. out, their house is walkable to the train going in to the city, and they paid $250K for a 2000 sq. ft. home on 3/4 acre.

NYC might be difficult. My niece lives in a 2 bedroom in Long Island City, right across from Manhattan (her two kids share a bedroom) and they pay nearly $5000. It’s about 800 square feet, so doesn’t have all the things you want. But they are very close to everything and it’s super convenient.  It’s really hard to find a large place in the city for a decent price. 

I’m surprised Dawn’s friend found such affordable housing so close to downtown Chicago.  That’s a really good buy!  I think your budget will be doable in Chicago. 

Such exciting choices! Hope everything works out for you!

• Like 1

Brooklyn could be tricky. Philly, not sure. Chicago, definitely yes.

If Chicago, do you know where your husband would work? That’s important because your dh would probably want an easy commute.

The Gold Coast is a nice neighborhood that might work. It’s safe, beautiful, relatively quiet, close to parks, lake, shopping/restaurants/grocery stores and CTA bus/train lines. You can search available rentals at Gold Coast Realty. I just did a quick search for $4,000 and 8 places appeared in the Gold Coast neighborhood. (One is in the John Hancock, though, which is technically in the noisier, busier Streeterville neighborhood.)

The process of renting in NYC can be a bear, and some places want a lot of money paid upfront. Not sure if that’s how it still works, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Annie G said:

NYC might be difficult. My niece lives in a 2 bedroom in Long Island City, right across from Manhattan (her two kids share a bedroom) and they pay nearly $5000. It’s about 800 square feet, so doesn’t have all the things you want. But they are very close to everything and it’s super convenient.  It’s really hard to find a large place in the city for a decent price. 

I’m surprised Dawn’s friend found such affordable housing so close to downtown Chicago.  That’s a really good buy!  I think your budget will be doable in Chicago. 

I just looked at the map, and I guess it is 25 miles away, but they said with the train, commuters can get there in 30 min.  Her husband actually works the opposite direction, so he doesn't go in, but most of her neighbors go in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I just looked at the map, and I guess it is 25 miles away, but they said with the train, commuters can get there in 30 min.  Her husband actually works the opposite direction, so he doesn't go in, but most of her neighbors go in.

30 minutes is nothing! A friend of ours lives in Naperville and her dh’s job is 4 miles from their house and it takes him 25 minutes to get there.   A 30 minute train ride would be awesome- I’d love a half hour with nothing to do but read or listen to podcasts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moonflower said:

My sister lives in Astoria (north of Manhattan, decent area is my impression) and pays half of $1500 for a small 1 bedroom, probably 600 sq ft.  I think you can get a nice place in NYC for $6500 but I don't think you can get 2000 sq ft nice, necessarily.

But the amenities!

That’s a good price for Astoria. I love Astoria but some areas are very far from public transport. It makes sense only if you’re working midtown, but then it makes a LOT of sense.

She nannies for rich women on the upper east side and occasionally acts.

She was super happy to get the apartment, I think about 5 years ago, and has no plans to leave anytime soon.  They knew someone who knew someone, etc.

DH is not interested in living in any big city anywhere, ever, but I would love to live for a while in NYC.  Just maybe not with 7 kids, including 3 toddlers.  Maybe when we're old...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moonflower said:

She nannies for rich women on the upper east side and occasionally acts.

She was super happy to get the apartment, I think about 5 years ago, and has no plans to leave anytime soon.  They knew someone who knew someone, etc.

DH is not interested in living in any big city anywhere, ever, but I would love to live for a while in NYC.  Just maybe not with 7 kids, including 3 toddlers.  Maybe when we're old...

Once I left the city, I had no desire to go back. But I have friends with large apartments so we do sleepovers en famille often, lucky that way. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

If it is 25 miles away and a 30 minute train ride, that is likely an express, which only run during high-demand hours.  Off-peak is usually an hour.  And that doesn't take into account the time it takes to get to the train station from home and from the station to work (which is usually either walking or another bus.)  

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

30 minutes is nothing! A friend of ours lives in Naperville and her dh’s job is 4 miles from their house and it takes him 25 minutes to get there.   A 30 minute train ride would be awesome- I’d love a half hour with nothing to do but read or listen to podcasts. 

Hey, that is where I live.  Yep, it can take 30 minutes to get across town during peak hours.  That is why I love my walkable neighborhood where most of what I need is close by.  And they do have 30 minute express trains into the city, but getting to and from the train is a whole nother story.  

• Like 3

For that amount of money you could get a decent house on Staten Island - but even close to the bridge, the commute to Brooklyn isn't that much fun.

Also, FYI, crime in the US has been steadily dropping for years. Cities are generally safe unless you move to a particularly high crime area.

• Like 4

If Chicago, take a look at Oak Park. It's an easy el ride or Metra ride downtown, and the town is charming and bustling and wonderfully historic style. Oak Park has a wonderful downtown district, so there is nifty stuff local to your home and all the big awesome Chicago stuff a short train ride away.

If you'd rather live in a suburb, consider your options based on Metra train lines or el lines.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, gingersmom said:

I have a family member with almost the exact apartment you are looking for.

Apartments of that size/configuration in NYC (not queens, Brooklyn, etc) would rent for around $20,000/month.

Yeah, and don't renters who rent big places in Manhattan typically have to pay a full year's worth of rent to the agent?

1 hour ago, gingersmom said:

Apartments of that size/configuration in NYC (not queens, Brooklyn, etc) would rent for around $20,000/month.

The NYC budget does seem tight, but here are some in Brooklyn that could work.

https://www.nakedapartments.com/renter/listings/search?nids=117%2C77%2C46%2C29%2C78%2C36%2C79%2C118%2C30%2C119%2C41%2C120%2C37%2C31%2C38%2C213%2C121%2C45%2C122%2C32%2C33%2C123%2C124%2C82%2C83%2C84%2C34%2C214%2C39%2C126%2C43%2C127%2C85%2C215%2C216%2C129%2C95%2C130%2C27%2C28%2C128%2C88%2C40%2C217%2C132%2C89%2C35%2C44%2C47&aids=5&min_rent=&max_rent=7000&amids=&pets=&baths=2&oh=&subl=

19 hours ago, DawnM said:

You can run some cost of living comparisons between the 3 cities at:

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/

Honestly, given the amounts and locations, I think Chicago is the best bang for your buck.  My friends live about 30 min. out, their house is walkable to the train going in to the city, and they paid $250K for a 2000 sq. ft. home on 3/4 acre.

I'd forgotten about that site.

18 hours ago, solascriptura said:

You could get a lot of "house" for $5500 in Philly.  I'm not sure about the other cities.  Probably not NYC.  

Philly is probably my top choice, for a variety of reasons... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Annie G said:

Oye... hoping the housing allowance is negotiable if we land in NYC. Entertaining space is necessary as it is an expected part of the promotion. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Brooklyn could be tricky. Philly, not sure. Chicago, definitely yes.

If Chicago, do you know where your husband would work? That’s important because your dh would probably want an easy commute.

The Gold Coast is a nice neighborhood that might work. It’s safe, beautiful, relatively quiet, close to parks, lake, shopping/restaurants/grocery stores and CTA bus/train lines. You can search available rentals at Gold Coast Realty. I just did a quick search for $4,000 and 8 places appeared in the Gold Coast neighborhood. (One is in the John Hancock, though, which is technically in the noisier, busier Streeterville neighborhood.)

The process of renting in NYC can be a bear, and some places want a lot of money paid upfront. Not sure if that’s how it still works, though.

Not a clue on the Chicago location... I've only done a little bit of research so far... His company would definitely help with deposits and advances if needed for something upfront. 

12 hours ago, DawnM said:

Oh, and dang, I want DH's company to give us a housing subsidy!  I would even settle for half of the lowest amount.  

They do it this way instead of adding it to the salary because when they move you again in 3-4 years, they won't have to pay it if it's in one of their lower-middle cost of living locales. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QueenCat said:

Oye... hoping the housing allowance is negotiable if we land in NYC. Entertaining space is necessary as it is an expected part of the promotion. 

My niece and nephew are church planters and they do entertain often in their place- people expect places in the city to be small.  It was an adjustment for them but now it seems totally normal. 

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

One thing to consider-  check car insurance rates for the areas you are considering.  People don’t always think to check that and can either get a rude awaking or a drop in price depending on the area.  Plus, when you check out places, ask if it includes a parking space as some don’t and that adds to the cost.  

I'm guessing we'd reduce to one car... but haven't really thought much about it. 

2 hours ago, gingersmom said:

Queens and Brooklyn are a part of NYC. Did you mean to compare them to Manhattan? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Annie G said:

My niece and nephew are church planters and they do entertain often in their place- people expect places in the city to be small.  It was an adjustment for them but now it seems totally normal. 

We would be expected to have sit-down dinner parties 3-4 times a year, probably for 10-12 people. That's on top of our own entertaining, which can be more casual, of course. 

• Like 1

You all have given me so much to think about. I'd guess that dh has about a 75% chance of landing one of these promotions in the near future (which would really take about a year in his company's version of near future). If not then, then in 3-4 years, I hope, but not necessarily the same locations. 

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

We would be expected to have sit-down dinner parties 3-4 times a year, probably for 10-12 people. That's on top of our own entertaining, which can be more casual, of course. 

Yeah, her apartment won’t hold 10-12 for a sit down dinner. They can do more casual entertaining there but for formal dinners they go out and use a private room in a restaurant.  I would think dh’s company would base the subsidy on what they know will be needed to get what the employee needs. Maybe they have relocation services to help you find a good place. 

12 hours ago, Annie G said:

Yeah, her apartment won’t hold 10-12 for a sit down dinner. They can do more casual entertaining there but for formal dinners they go out and use a private room in a restaurant.  I would think dh’s company would base the subsidy on what they know will be needed to get what the employee needs. Maybe they have relocation services to help you find a good place. 

We aren't at that stage yet... Interview processes are just starting. 

10 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Dinner parties in your own home, not a restaurant?

Yes. There will also be restaurant gatherings, typically during the same week, with the same group of people that have come from out of town. I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to the business entertainment idea, we really only have to do the restaurant kind right now, with a rare at home (smaller groups, though). I do enjoy attending those dinners now, just not excited about hosting them. We are very social but it's a lot less pressure when you're having friends vs business...

13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I would love to live in NYC for a year or two.....I don't want to be there long term, but the experience would be nice for a short time. 

Same here... with Philly, NYC would be a relatively easy day trip too. 

• 1 month later...

Update: They've conducted round one, with the phone interviews. Dh told them he wasn't interested in Chicago at this time. He also knows there was a favored person for the NYC position before the process even began. So, Philadelphia is the only real possibility at this point, which would be so much better for us anyways. He thinks the interview went well. They are supposed to let people know by mid-February if they made the cut for an in-person interview. 

• Like 10