Menu

I'm Teaching at a CoOp Next. Save Me. Please.

So, I'm going to be teaching a 3 classes at a co-op as a favor to a friend starting in 2019. If you have experience or an opinion about this whole thing, would you help me out.

What helps make a co-op be a positive experience vs a drain on time, energy, etc, for the teaching PARENTS?

What are some things that teachers do in co-ops that ruin things for everyone?

What helps make a co-op be a positive experience for the enrolled KIDS?

I particularly want to make sure that my students have a good time. If I could keep the parents satisfied as well, that'd be a bonus.

IF you were putting your kid in a co-op Spanish class, what progress would you like to see in the end?

IF you were putting your kid in a co-op Math class for grades 3-5, what progress would you like to see during, and at the end of the class?

IF you were putting your kid in a co-op Math class for grades 6-7, what progress would you like to see during, and at the end of the class?

I only know 1 of the kids who is going to be in my class. He started home schooling this year and is pretty weak academically, but a good student and catching up fast. I understand that majority of the kids in this co-op have always been homeschooled. 

To make it a positive and not a drain: Have a planning time for co-op set in your schedule (preferably 2 or more days before co-op in order to have "margin.")  Try to contain you planning to that time so that your don't always feel that it is hanging over your head. Preparing at least a loose syllabus/plan for the semester also helps relieve stress.  You don't want to feel like you are inventing the wheel every week.

Teacher's who don't prepare are a drain and make me feel like I am wasting my time bringing my kids.

What makes it positive for the kids is to have a clear discipline policy and use it.  My kids really don't like it when teacher's say--if you do x, then y will happen and never follow through.  They also don't like it when disruptive kids ruin the whole class every time.  Children with behavior issues due to a disability should have some kind of plan and support so that they, and the other students, benefit from the class.

For spanish, I would like conversation, games and songs, I can handle grammar at home.

Are you the main math teacher?  Like are you setting the syllabus?  If you are, I think I would hope class time would be spent introducing any new concepts that are coming up during the week (or the most difficult concept) with some class practice to cement it. I would also hope there was time to raise questions about problems that were assigned the previous week.  With the younger kids, some math projects to complete together would be fun.

If you are a supplement, then I would hope for math games and math projects (AIMS and Family Math type). 

Sorry about the font size.

• Like 3

Are the classes for an hour once a week?  Honestly, I would realistically expect my child to gain very little from that few hours in either a Spanish or math class.   And unfortunately, I would realistically expect very few parents to reinforce or expand on the weekly co-op lessons or ensure children complete homework sent home.

Wendy

• Like 4

What text are you using? I think this would be hard to do in a co-op setting unless you were available between classes for help sessions. 

I would also make sure I had a way of contacting the parents bc j an habing a lot of trouble with folks not completing the work for my English class and It's drop off, so I don't see the parents. 

25 minutes ago, freesia said:

For spanish, I would like conversation, games and songs, I can handle grammar at home.

For songs, my default thought is having them learn a song a month, in its entirety. To make sure it's appropriate I'll probably just ask the boys to pick 10 of the least annoying Disney songs en espanol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

Are the classes for an hour once a week?  Honestly, I would realistically expect my child to gain very little from that few hours in either a Spanish or math class.   And unfortunately, I would realistically expect very few parents to reinforce or expand on the weekly co-op lessons or ensure children complete homework sent home.

Wendy

Tentatively, Spanish and Math 6-7 are 75 minutes, but I think that the Math 3-5 class is shorter. I don't know. Its my first time dealing with anything like this and I only found out this morning that I'm doing it.

I didn't seriously think I'd wind up involved in a co-op next year.

5 minutes ago, freesia said:

What text are you using? I think this would be hard to do in a co-op setting unless you were available between classes for help sessions. 

I would also make sure I had a way of contacting the parents bc j an habing a lot of trouble with folks not completing the work for my English class and It's drop off, so I don't see the parents. 

I haven't the foggiest what text they are using.

My understanding is that the Math Classes at the CO-OP weren't great the year before last and out right bombed really badly last year when they did random worksheets and mixed in "fun" online sites like something Max, or something. I don't know. For the first part of the school year they were doing Spectrum? I think. *shrug* I'll have to find out.

I'm going to use my own diagnostic games and tests on the first day of class to try and see what each kid knows mathematically.

For Spanish I'm going to group together kids into mixes of those who know how to speak Spanish, know a good amount of Spanish, know a tiny bit of Spanish and knowing nothing at all. 

2 hours ago, Gil said:

So, I'm going to be teaching a 3 classes at a co-op as a favor to a friend starting in 2019. If you have experience or an opinion about this whole thing, would you help me out.

Bless your heart (lol).

Starting to teach at a co-op is a huge transition, and to do a good job of teaching is a huge time-suck for the instructor. Which in turn means that whatever you are currently spending that time and energy on (i.e., homeschooling your own children) is going to take a hit. I can almost guarantee you that your attitude at home will take a hit as you will be always stressing about being ready for co-op classes, and your availability and ability to teach your own kids will be reduced due to more time being poured into being responsible to other people for *their* kids.

If doing just 1 class that is enrichment rather than "spine academics" and requires little prep and no grading or "after" work from you is do-able. Jumping in to teaching with 3 DIFFERENT classes -- 2 completely different subjects (Spanish and Math), and 2 different levels of the same subject (Math for gr. 3-5 and gr. 6-7) -- is a guaranteed fast track to Stress City. 

(I am speaking from personal experience of foolishly starting off teaching TWO completely different co-op classes for high school grades that each required hours and hours of prep AND hours of *after* class time of grading of papers. I had to drop down to 1 class for the second semester because I could not keep up both classes -- AND, I had just graduated our younger DS, so I was not simultaneously homeschooling.)

2 hours ago, Gil said:

What helps make a co-op be a positive experience vs a drain on time, energy, etc, for the teaching PARENTS?

- only lead ONE class per semester
- use pre-made kits, programs, lesson plans that are open and go
- pick a pre-made curriculum or program that you can implement as-is and not need to tweak
- pick a program that requires little advance prep and NO grading or "after class" work from you
- plan to focus on just 1-2 main points for each class period -- kids in a class setting are not going to absorb much more than that
- in advance state that the class goal is about *enrichment*, NOT "spine"/core academics, so when you discover you have a wide range of abilities/interests from your students, you don't tear your hair out trying to "catch up" the below-grade-level students, while simultaneously trying to find ways of engaging/challenging advanced students
- limit your class size to a maximum of 8-10 students -- 12 if they are well-behaved 
- having parents ON SITE to take their disruptive child out and deal with the child so that the rest of the class period can flow uninterrupted
(and on a slightly related note: I now always have a "2-deep" policy (always at least 2 adults in class at all times with students); I do that by having a "parent assistant" in class with me to help deal with any issues -- behavior, or health/injury, but also for student safety and MY safety so there are no potentials for accusations of any kind)

2 hours ago, Gil said:

What are some things that teachers do in co-ops that ruin things for everyone?

- favoritism
- lack of control of the class
- inflexible, unwilling or unable to adjust the schedule/materials to fit the students' actual working level or need
- long boring lectures *at* students, rather than student involvement through discussion, in-class activities, games that practice/reinforce the topic, hands-on, exploration/discovery, etc

2 hours ago, Gil said:

What helps make a co-op be a positive experience for the enrolled KIDS?

- from day 1, make sure the kids know that class is a safe place -- that you will not allow bullying, mocking, or disrespect, and that all views are welcome as long as they are expressed respectfully and (yep, I teach in a Christian homeschool co-op, and I still have to occasionally put a quick stop to comments that start moving into mean-spiritedness -- grades 5-8 seem most prone to this)
- talk with the students before/after class and get to know them as people
- be flexible and whenever possible try and find a way to say "yes" (or a "modified yes")  if a student wants to try something a bit different than the way the project is specified

2 hours ago, Gil said:

IF you were putting your kid in a co-op Spanish class, what progress would you like to see in the end?
IF you were putting your kid in a co-op Math class for grades 3-5, what progress would you like to see during, and at the end of the class?
IF you were putting your kid in a co-op Math class for grades 6-7, what progress would you like to see during, and at the end of the class?

This is tough -- as a *parent* I would be wanting to outsource in order to have a rigorous class in ways that I was not able to do at home for whatever reason. However, as a co-op *teacher*, the reality is that it's super-hard to have rigor without homework and daily parent oversight of the material at home -- which you are NOT going to get in a co-op setting. Especially since this would be your first semester of teaching, I would recommend that YOU set a clear goal/expectation in advance of *supplementation* or *enrichment* -- that you are NOT going to be the "spine" instruction in these subjects. When you write up your class descriptions, let families know what they can expect. Example:

Math (gr. 6-7)
Enrichment class. Through games, puzzles, and in-class activities we will touch on a variety of math topics, such as fractions, probability, geometry, fractals, etc. We will also explore problem solving methods through Math Olympiad activities. Class expectations: no advance prep or homework, but come prepared to participate.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

I only know 1 of the kids who is going to be in my class. He started home schooling this year and is pretty weak academically, but a good student and catching up fast. I understand that majority of the kids in this co-op have always been homeschooled. 

- Try and stick with oral activities, or YOU write kids' verbal responses/discussion contributions on the white board, at least until you have a very good feel for the level of every student. So try and avoid having students do much in the way of reading or writing in your classes. SO many families homeschool because the child has an LD -- frequently dyslexia or can't write or spell -- and the child already feels shame at being behind or can't do what their peers can do. Having students write or read in class just brings that to light in front of their peers and increases their shame and embarrassment, and shuts down learning or interest in being involved.

- Don't expect the other students to have the same work ethic or academic level as your own children. Not all homeschoolers have the same philosophy or level of rigor in academics as their goal.

- Be flexible to meet each child "where they are" -- and that is SUPER tough when it's a classroom full of students.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gil said:

Tentatively, Spanish and Math 6-7 are 75 minutes, but I think that the Math 3-5 class is shorter.

I had 2 sections of grade 7-8 students last year for a Lit & Comp class that was based on a lot of book discussion and in-class activities in support of the writing. Weirdly, one section ended up having all of the emotionally-young students struggling with ADD, dyslexia, and other issues -- 75 minutes was too long for them. The other class of grade 7-8 students was fine with 75 minutes. Just throwing that out to you that 75 minutes is going to be too long for grade 6-7 students without at least throwing in a 5 minute bathroom/water/stretch break after 35 minutes.

I don't recommend more than 45-50 minutes for a grade 3-5 math class, and even then, I'd break it into sections. Example:
5 minutes = start off with fun "warm up" (maybe review) activities or "puzzler of the week"
10-15 minutes = teaching or setting up the concept of the week
25 minutes = activities/work on the main concept
5 minutes = review or final activity or come back to the "puzzler of the week" to group solve, now with the week's concept to help them

• Like 3

We have co-op once a week. Someone teaches math for grades 3-4. She does a combination of things. From math mindsets to math circle. She has read books from Berkeley math circle for elementary and other books similar to that one. There isno homework.

The class is usually 45 mins to 1 hour.  it is an enrichment class.

For me, it is not tiring to teach at the co-op because i know my kids are getting something out of it that would take me hours to prepare, and I teach something that i am interested in.

Good luck and i hope u have a good time.

This isn't what you are teaching, but DH taught two co-op classes that worked really well.  First there was a Physics lab class for the older group.   Then the next class was Physics labs for the 8+ group.   The younger set didn't have to put together the labs.   They got an introduction to the ideas, and then they got to play with the equipment and did a worksheet.  

Your math in two age groups made me think of that.  

Some math activity resources:
- Calculus For and By Young People (gr. 3-8)
- MathLink Cubes Intermediate Activity Book (gr. 3-6) + multilink cubes
- Advanced Pattern Block activity book (gr. 3-6) + pattern blocks
- Rod Clue Puzzles (gr. 5-9) + Cuisenaire rods
- Everything's Coming Up Fractions (gr. 4-6) + Cuisenaire rods
- TOPS Science: Probability (gr. 6-10)
- Patty Paper Geometry (gr. 6-10)
- Zacarro Math books: elementary, upper elementary challenge math, challenge math for upper elementary and middle school
- Artful Maths website -- links to many resources on using origami to demonstrate math concepts

1 hour ago, Gil said:

I haven't the foggiest what text they are using.

My understanding is that the Math Classes at the CO-OP weren't great the year before last and out right bombed really badly last year when they did random worksheets and mixed in "fun" online sites like something Max, or something. I don't know. For the first part of the school year they were doing Spectrum? I think. *shrug* I'll have to find out.

Ouch. Warning klaxons went off when I read this.

From this description, it sounds like you might have little choice about what you *can* do, and the most you could hope to do for the students would be to follow along each week in whatever math program the co-op class is using and use class to go over that week's concepts, reinforce with some activities, and be available to tutor individual students during the class while the other kids explore with activities. I honestly don't see how you can be expected to be the main math teacher for *any* grade level for a class that only meets 1x/week.

At this point I would take a big step back and ask:
- Do I really feel called to step in and fix someone else's mess?
- What will be *expected* of me to accomplish with this class?
- Can I meet that expectation without shorting my own children's education?
- What do *I* get out of doing this? What will my DC get out of this? And is it enough to offset potential negatives?

ETA: PS

So, I'm going to be teaching a 3 classes at a co-op as a favor to a friend...

Also of concern: accepting this position "as a favor to a friend" -- if things blow up at this co-op for any number of reasons, will you still be friends? The only times I've been willing to do big favors for friends is when I can honestly go in to it with the idea that I will keep the friendship first -- so any money or time on my part I view as a gift and don't expect to ever see it again or even be recognized for giving it. And any stressful event or interaction that happens with someone as a result of doing the favor, I accept as my responsibility for having chosen to do the favor and to NOT blame the friend for asking. Because I could have chosen to say "no" to the favor. Probably just my own issues coming through there, but that has been very helpful to me in preserving friendships, but also in helping me discern whether or not I should get involved in the favor. FWIW. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

It’s pretty kind of you to consider doing this, really.  

I had a coop teacher who made me love math.  Some of the nonmathy kids really hated his class though. I guess keep in mind differing ability levels and be kind to the stragglers would be my thing.  I don’t have much experience with coops from the teacher perspective because they don’t seem to be a thing here so much.

• Like 2

I use enrichment classes (similar to co-op classes) for, well, enrichment, so my answers won’t apply if you’re meant to be running highly academic classes.

For a Spanish class, I would love a focus on beginner conversational skills that might actually apply to kids. I keep on seeing programs and classes that teach the colors, numbers, names of clothing items, and such. But how many elementary kids sit around counting to 10 and taking about their blue shirts?

For math, with a grade range are we taking about an enrichment class? Or is this using a set curriculum, and you’re assigning homework? It would seem odd to me to have a 3-5 class that was the primary academics, since that span includes kids just being introduced to multiplication through kids getting ready pre-Algebra, depending on programs used and the kid. For an enrichment class, I would specifically want things that *aren’t* normally covered in curricula - hands-on explorations, open-ended questions, math puzzles, math circle-type problems, and/or competition math problems.

But more than those specifics, I would want the classes offered to simply match the descriptions given. My expectations are set by the class description, and my decisions on whether to enroll my child are also made dependent on those descriptions. I would be upset if a math class I enrolled my daughter in was using Spectrum and MobyMax, but I also never would have enrolled my kid in a class that indicated that’s what they would be doing, either, so it wouldn’t be an issue.

• Like 2

I’ve been teaching my first co-op-type classes this year. The biggest takeaways for me so far are that I can only accomplish 1/10 of what I could do in the same time period at home (if that), and that I need to pay attention to what the typical grade-level standards are so I have a grasp on what should be expected with age range.

• Like 1

We just do enrichment classes at our co-op. The parents know that they are not to replace what is being taught at home. I always teach science because the kids love it and the parents are happy that the kids are doing hands-on labs together. I plan my year out in advance and write each lesson out about a week in advance, gather supplies, etc. I don't expect the parents to do anything except volunteer to help as assistants during class time. I have the kids keep binders for their lab worksheets so at the end of the year there is something to show for all the work we did together. I'm now on my second time through elementary chemistry so most of the planning was already done, but I still find myself spending quite a bit of time improving the lessons, dry running the experiments, and gathering supplies. Labs require a lot of stuff. 

I've taught a few other subjects that were successful like Latin/Greek roots, poetry, robotics, math project lab, middle school math with manipulative and games. But the parents and kids keep asking for science. I'm also doing an Arduino Kit with the secondary school kids. They love it and so do I but it is hard to get around to help all the students with the wiring and debugging in the allotted class time and the other parents who help try their best but aren't really knowledgeable about electronics. 

We rarely require homework. Sometimes I have the kids type in some code for the Arduino class to save time but they are fine with that. Outside reading or writing usually doesn't go over very well. 

• Like 2

I think I'd rather give a kidney to a friend than teach three co-op classes that meet once a week that are trying to cover content rather than be enrichment.

I would handle the math classes like a math club.  You're doing fun things that involve math, but it's in no way a lock step scope/sequence that is replacing work that parents should be doing. 

For the math classes, I'd be looking at math as art (doing tessellations), math games (Ronit Bird has a number of good domino games for free on her website), multicultural math (introducing abacuses, knotted strings, and other conceptions of numbers and how to do math with a huge hands on component), an afternoon on measurement (mL v. L, how a liter and a quart are similar....but just really giving them a hands on afternoon of working with different labeled things....and for the older kids working on comparing and converting between units).  There are tons and tons of really great math activities on the internet, but until you really get an idea of the capabilities of the kids in the class, I'd plan for open ended stuff because you're likely to have a wide spread of ability.

For Spanish....I'd be inclined to set up different scenarios each week.  One week, you are going grocery shopping. Bring a ton of items from home and label them---especially fruits, vegetables, cookies, etc.  Have them work on being able to learning food names.  Another week, we'd work on clothing.....bring a basket of laundry from home and have them hands on find the item of clothing.  You can work on prepositions with that as well---put the shirt on top of the desk. Put it under the chair. For another week, we'd all go to art class, and we'd talk about colors and numbers---I'd ask them to draw a certain number of things in certain colors.  My point is....make it all hands on, and make it all practical vocabulary.  Don't worry about grammar and verb tenses yet....just give them words that they'll know.

Also, if your library has a Spanish language section, find both familiar books that have been translated as well as stories originally written in Spanish to share.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Lori D. said:

use pre-made kits, programs, lesson plans that are open and go
- pick a pre-made curriculum or program that you can implement as-is and not need to tweak
- pick a program that requires little advance prep and NO grading or "after class" work from you

I just wanted to pull this down with suggestions. On the math, I don't know if you know this, but right now problem solving, mindset, youcubed, etc. is really big. So doing exploration type classes would be totally legit enrichment.

Amazon.com: Advanced Pattern Block Book, Grades 5-8 ...https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Pattern-Block-Book-Grades/dp/1583243178  I'm doing this with my ds right now, and it's marked for gr 5-8. We easily spend 20 minutes on it 1:1, so I think if you did a warm-up, the lesson, and had a game that you play at the end every time (24), you'd be done. 24 Game | Creating A New Generation of Thinkershttps://www.24game.com/

Ooo, I'm just seeing Lori linked this! Well there you go, great minds. And for the youngers, same gig, some kind of kit and finish the hour with rounds of 24. I really like Family Math for the lower grades, so you could do that. There would just be some prep and maybe picking a couple games. 

For the spanish, I apparently have little opinion. I guess figure out whether you're core instruction or conversation. There's a terrific Not Just Tacos - A Journey Into the World of Authentic Latin American Cuisine You could do culture and food. At least that way you yourself wold have some yummy fun.

I personally would be totally unsympathetic and not do any of it unless it is actually serving your kids. But I'm very negative on the reality of co-ops overall. Your time is worth money. Why aren't these parents stepping up themselves to fill some of these classes? Why are they dumping it all on you? Any of the parents there could do a lower grade math class. You're going into the hardest time of year, the sickest time of year. Are they paying you? I'd let them solve their own problems and only do what gives you pleasure and what you have free time to do without stress.

• Like 2

We have participated in a weekly co-op for a few years. I wouldn't dream of considering it a replacement for whatever daily program we do at home. Enrichment only. We will do the homework, but apparently many would not. We've had poor experiences with teachers being things like art projects to be done a specific way for apparent reason.

I taught a middle grades math last year. We used Patty Paper Geometry. None of the students had done a specific geometry class, and there are no prerequisites, so I didn't have to worry about that - although there were a few topics I taught ad hoc for particular lessons. They did abridged homework which we checked round-robin in class, no grade.

This year I'm teaching an elementary math (students in grades 1-5). This semester we have watched some of the videos from Exploding Dots. The rest of the year we will look at discrete topics. No homework.

When I taught Latin to elementary I focused on vocabulary. Each week had a new theme. I sent home flash card sheets, but I guarantee no one looked at them. We constructed a calendar over the course of the year that they could use for review the next year (Can't imagine anyone did this either...)

As the teacher, i need to come up with a rough syllabus the summer before with topics for every class. Then, before class starts, i need the classes up to the first break planned out in detail so that if I'm busy i can just grab it and go.

• Like 3

I would make it explicit exactly what you're teaching.  At our co-op, we offer enrichment and academic classes.  In enrichment classes, there is little expectation that students will do work at home.  Academic classes post assignments in an online platform, have homework, tests, quizzes, or projects, and assign grades.  As a 3rd grader, one of my kids took a Math Mania class where they played games that practiced math facts (times table bingo, etc) and did mathy puzzles like tangrams.  They did counting songs, rhymes to help remember facts, etc.  This was only 1 hr/week, so meant to reinforce math concepts, not teach a year's worth of math. 

In middle school, we usually have 2 different kinds of science.  One is a 'hands on science' class that does messy projects.  The other is a traditional class like 'Life science with dissection' or 'earth science'.  The hands-on class isn't meant to be a full curriculum.  We've also had a 'young engineers' class that could be considered hands-on science - they go in an try to build the boat that holds the most weight out of popsicle sticks and paperclips, or a bridge out of toothpicks.  There is benefit in both kinds of classes, but I'd be clear on what the co-op wants so that everybody's expectations are realistic.  

• Like 1

The more I think about this, the more more I just don't understand how a math class for such a wide age group is suppose to be the main math?  I completely understand why this bombed every year.  Am I missing something?  They expect you to teach math to "middle school."  Some 7th graders are starting Algebra and some are still reviewing elementary math and won't do pre-Alg until 8th grade.  And who makes sure they do their homework and checks their work.  I am really hoping every child has their own math programs at home and you are only really suppose to be doing things like the math enrichment above. (or something like a probability (or other stand alone )unit spread over 8 weeks while they are working on other things at home)

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, freesia said:

The more I think about this, the more more I just don't understand how a math class for such a wide age group is suppose to be the main math?

Just to be clear, I'm going to be the main (only) teacher in the classroom, but the students are learning/studying math at home. I just meant that in in the coop I'll have control of the math class (ie, I'm setting the agenda, executing the lesson plan). but this is NOT the only math program that the students have. This coop is 1 day a week so if these kids aren't doing math at home, there would be massive struggles. 

The Math Class at the coop bombed, but that's not to say that each families math program has bombed. 

The coop class is meant to be a mix of support and extension. Theoretically, the co-op math class has a home-work help element to it, and a part of the session is for "fun" stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to bring that ideal to life.

• Like 1

My advice:  (1) Don't do it.  (2) Ask for a raise.  

Just kidding.  It wasn't a good fit for me, and I gave it a try last year and 1st semester this year.  They have a replacement for the AoPS pre-algebra class I'm teaching for next semeter, but I'm done.  I agree with everything above: different abilities makes it hard to please all the students.  My younger elementary students are the smarty-pants who answer all my questions.  My older middle school students are the ones who are actually learning it for the first time, and don't take kindly to being outdone by a bunch of youngers.  So they clam up and pass notes.  In my python programming class, I had lovely students, but they were all over the map.  I had one kid doing advanced work in class.  I had another who was doing a very very slow hunt and peck typing.  By week #2 I had them all working at their own pace on their own projects.  It worked okay, but it was still tough maintaining control of the class, felt like glorified babysitting, and really just not fun for me.  

I agree with the above to do enrichment with in class work.  MOEMS is perfect for this.  20 minutes in class taking the exam, another 20 minutes of discussion and you're done.  If a student is absent, no big deal, no make up work required.  

Meanwhile 2019 I'll focus on the things I love:  1:1 tutoring, MathCounts team, small group math problem solving skills (math enrichment), hired directly by parents who hand select individual students to participate.  (They don't take anyone who signs up and it isn't advertised to the general homeschooling community.)    

My random thoughts as I have never taught at a co-op.

In only a once a week class I would not attempt to teach a full math curriculum to kids that age (maybe not even in high school). I would do a project style or problem solving class. My first choice would be to use activities from https://store.aimsedu.org/.  Back in the dark ages, I attended a week long training by this foundation that was wonderful, and the books I bought from them are some of the few teacher books that I have saved for many, many years. It is all full of hands on activities that are difficult to use in many public schools now. 

• Like 1

I've considered teaching a weekly math class for 6th-ish graders that reviews fractions.  A solid understanding of fractions is so essential before moving into algebra.  I'd use RightStart fractions book as my spine, along with their nice laminated fraction charts as "cheat sheets", and math games (maybe even an extended tournament of sorts). GL!

ETA: add RS fractions lesson plans link. There is a picture of the table of contents that would give you an idea of what's covered, although some would need to be consolidated to fit the number of weeks.  Some of your students will wiz through these while others may only be understanding it for the first time.  Anyway, it's a place to start...

ETA2: if your students don't need as much of the beginning basics, maybe add conversion between fractions, percents, and decimals at the end.

ETA3:  lol...I've got one more...if you've ever seen the math equation puzzles at the beginning of the AoPS chapters, consider starting each class with a math puzzle written on the board before the students come in the class.  The expectation would be that it's the first thing they should work on at the start of the class.  It only takes a couple of minutes but helps warm up those number manipulation mind cells. 

So (yep, coordinating conjunction...lol), thinking it through, class structure would look like this: 1-quick math puzzle, 2-some rapid, verbal review on previously taught material for a few minutes to included all students, 3-teach the basic concept for the day, 4-practice the concept on the board and/or a worksheet, 5-a quick game in groups or pairs that solidifies concept.  Take every 4th (or whatever works) week and make it a game day, perhaps including an overall semester tournament.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1