Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW48: The Tyger by William Blake

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-eight in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

In honor of William Blake, who was born November 28, 1757

The Tyger

By

William Blake

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Brit Tripping

Our Brit Trip on Watling Way is taking us to Merseyside which has produced one of the biggest musical cultural icons for the 20th Century – The Beatles.

Rabbit trails: More Beatles  Liverpool

What are you reading?

Link to week 47

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Started The Last Jedi and interesting so far. Getting a bit more backstory of the characters and emotional info left out of the movie.  

Finally added The Snow Queen to my physical stacks. I've always loved this cover.  Looking forward to reading it. 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Started The Last Jedi and interesting so far. Getting a bit more backstory of the characters and emotional info left out of the movie.  

Finally added The Snow Queen to my physical stacks. I've always loved this cover.  Looking forward to reading it. 

That is a gorgeous cover. 

I read Between Two Worlds - 2.5 Stars (rounding up to 3 Stars - since I'm feeling generous) - As someone born in Iran and especially as a Baha’i, I was looking forward to reading this book. I knew the basics of the story. Roxana Saberi, an American journalist, the daughter of an Iranian father and a Japanese mother, moved to Iran in 2003. She worked as a journalist until her press credentials were revoked. She continued to remain in Iran, while working on a book about Iranian society, which has yet to be published. In 2009, she was arrested on charges of espionage, and was released a few months later. 

While in prison, her cell mates for some time were two Baha’is. That’s the part that interested me the most. One remembers to not only appreciate the freedom that we all have, but I also felt inspired by their strength and fortitude, not just the Baha’is, but also other fellow prisoners. 

This book could have been written in a more compelling style. There was an overall sense of detachment and blandness. Pictures would have helped. There were parts that were just irritating me for some reason. Maybe it was all the back and forth about whether she should tell the truth or not. It got quite repetitive. The afterword was interesting. 

All in all, there are some things about this book that don’t sit right with me. I believe that any non-Iranian, who chooses to live in Iran, never mind visit, can’t be too right in the head. With an Iranian father who has obviously preferred living in North Dakota, and being fully aware of the instability there, she was stupid and naïve. Who does that? Who in their right mind goes to Iran, then after having one’s press credentials confiscated, chooses to still remain? I mean, come on! If I was willingly living in a society like that, then had my press credentials taken away, I’d be on the first flight out. Something wasn’t right. She could have worked anywhere. I have little compassion for any non-Iranian who willingly goes to Iran, just as I have little compassion for those who are stupid enough to go to North Korea and other risky locations. I had similar feelings when I read “A House in the Sky” a few years ago, although that was far worse than this. Why visit and remain in a country that lacks human rights, has no clear legal system, and imprisons people for the most arbitrary reasons? Not only do I think that it’s naïve and stupid, but I also get frustrated by people like this, who put their families and loved ones through unnecessary hardship and worry. I think that it’s selfish and irresponsible. 

My favorite quote:
“I envied her for her faith, which had kept her strong and helped her resist the same pressures I had surrendered to … This woman, I realized, loved God so much that she feared disappointing Him more than she feared death.”

9780061965296.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM
5 Stars
The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine. 
4 Stars
Really Good
3 Stars
Enjoyable 
2 Stars
Just Okay – nothing to write home about
1 Star
Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 9

I am slowly catching up on my reading. I have recently finished 4 books .

Buried Beneath the Baobob Tree by Adoubi Nwaubani - 4.5 stars - this book is a fictional account based on true stories of the girls who were abducted from the boarding school in Nigeria in 2014. The book is touching and haunts me to this day. My granddaughter began singing Jesus Loves Me yesterday and her innocent little voice brought to mind one of the vignettes in Baobob. It's heartbreaking. I picked this up as an audiobook from the public library. It was read by a women with a Nigerian accent and it made the book that much more enjoyable, poignant, and touching. The last 45 mins of the audiobook was the story of the authors and what they went through to research the book and to get it published.

The Final Trade by Joe Hart - 3.5 stars  - a dystopian novel about the near future in which something has happened and all babies are born male. This is the second in a trilogy. This was my Kindle Prime book of the month. I have to wait until Dec 1 to get the third and final book in the series.

Turbulence by Stuart Woods - 2 stars -  this was an audiobook I checked out from the local library. Never again will I pick up a Stuart Woods book; it was boring and unrealistic, unless you like learning about planes, Bentleys, and the life of the uber wealthy. I only finished it because I was driving and had it in the car and nothing else.  After I finished, I checked reviews and found that even his deadfast followers gave this book few stars.

One Half from the East by Nadia Hashimi - I give this book 4.5 stars.and I"m really thinking about boosting it up to 5. This is a YA Fiction book and I selected it from the 2019 Rebecca Caudill Nominee bookshelf from the public library. I was glad I did as this is an entertaining book. It also lead to some online research about bocha posh girls in Afghanistan. I am always thrilled to find a book that leads me to do research and sparks an interest. I entered the book into my Goodreads account and was surprised to learn that I had already had Nadia's other book, The Pearl that Broke its Shell, on my TBR list. I wonder if someone here had read it and suggested it?

I'm still sticking to the No Spend Reading challenge.I think I can make it another few weeks. I hope I'm able to catch up on my reading and finish the 52 book challenge.

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I'm still sticking to the No Spend Reading challenge.

You have my admiration!

4 hours ago, Robin M said:

Finally added The Snow Queen to my physical stacks. I've always loved this cover.

That truly is a noteworthy cover; I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

Over the weekend,  I read Shay Savage's Luffs which is a newly released companion novella to her caveman romance Transcendence.  I enjoyed revisiting the characters from the earlier novel but wanted more.  (The Amazon blurb says it's just over 100 pages, but I felt that about thirty percent of that was front matter and ads for other works by the author. Hmmph.)  This cannot be read as a standalone so I won't bother posting the blurb.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 8

Currently free for Kindle readers ~

All five books in the The Amy Lane Mysteries Book Series by Rosie Claverton.  You can see them all here.

Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss Book 1)  by Nalini Singh  (This is a contemporary romance, not a paranormal romance.)

LGBT romance:   The Palisade (Lavender Shores Book 1)  by Rosalind Abel (several of the sequels are also currently free.)

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

Oh I love William Blake! Sounds like the kids and I have a theme week for poems coming! :wub:

I highly recommend the picture book _William Blake's Inn_. It's fun for kids, but if you like WB it's delightful (and I don't often use that word).

• Like 8

I  have moved on to listening to the second book in The Expanse series that started with Leviathan Wakes and it is really good.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12591698-caliban-s-war btw,  Levathon Wakes is stand alone,  I would have been satisfied with stopping there.  

I have made progress on The Monopolists for my microhistory Bingo Square.  For fun I started a Chic Lit book by Sarina Bowen complete with a sort of blush worthy cover ( it is on my kindle) and a whole lot of bad language and adult scenes.  That being said it is advertised as laugh out loud funny and it is certainly riveting.  I already have the rest in the series on hold because the wait time is huge....I put them all on hold 3 months ago.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36535656-man-hands

• Like 8

I am caught up on my Flower Challenge finally.....

M.    Murder flies the Coop by Jessica Ellicott

A.     One Red Apple by Sheila Connolly

R.      Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart

I         If Ever I Should Love You by Cathy Maxwell

G.      Competence by Gail Carriger

O.       Once a Scoundrel by Mary Jo Putney

L.        Leverage in Death by JD Robb

D.        Dracul by Dacre Stoker

D.       Death at Rottinden by Robin Paige

A.       Bloody Acquisitions by Drew Hayes

I.         The Ionia Sanction by Gary Corby

S         Vicious by VE Schwab

Y.         Meet Me at the Museum by Ann Youngson

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger - I loved this book. from Goodreads - Enger tells the story of eleven-year-old Reuben Land, an asthmatic boy who has reason to believe in miracles. Along with his sister and father, Reuben finds himself on a cross-country search for his outlaw older brother who has been controversially charged with murder. Their journey is touched by serendipity and the kindness of strangers, and its remarkable conclusion shows how family, love, and faith can stand up to the most terrifying of enemies, the most tragic of fates. 

My reading time has been cut down somewhat because my daughters and I have been watching a Korean drama - Goblin: The Lonely and Great God and it's subtitled so you could say I've been reading, haha. Has anyone here seen this?

Congratulations on your flower challenge, mum! 

And Robin, I loved the carpool karaoke with Paul McCartney. It was so neat to see him perform at the pub!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

For fun I started a Chic Lit book by Sarina Bowen complete with a sort of blush worthy cover ( it is on my kindle) and a whole lot of bad language and adult scenes.  That being said it is advertised as laugh out loud funny and it is certainly riveting.  I already have the rest in the series on hold because the wait time is huge....I put them all on hold 3 months ago.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36535656-man-hands

Sarina Bowen is a favorite author of mine.  Curiously, Man Hands (which she co-wrote) is the one book of hers that I put aside unfinished.  I may need to give it another try.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

A brief posting before driving the last relative to the airport. Not much reading time this week but finished St Bernard of Clairvaux's De Amore Dei (12th cent,) and am halfway through Melville's Redburn. The good ship Highlander has just reached Liverpool and young Wellingborough Redburn is trying to navigate his way through the city, determinedly using his deceased father's decades-old (beautiful but useless) guidebook, an episode chock full of symbolism as you would expect from Melville. Highly recommended.

The St. Bernard, an epistolary treatise explaining the seven levels of Love of God, was good to read for refocusing during the hectic holidays. There's nothing like the medieval fascination with precisely enumerated degrees of the spiritual life: the appeal of "levelling up" is universal it seems.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 11

(The WTM platform keeps eating everything I post - it's anti emojis and comments on infertility today - I'll try again later.)

Thank you for this book linked last week, it is one I definitely want to pour over: I just love books with gorgeous illustrations.   

On 11/24/2018 at 12:11 PM, Robin M said:

• Like 8

On 11/25/2018 at 1:53 PM, Robin M said:

I love The Snow Queen! I first read it when I was in high school and have read it a couple of times more since then. I don't think I own it, though, which is weird.

Jumping in here before I read the whole thread...

I didn't finish anything last week, and the only thing I finished the week before was a romance novella by Meredith Duran, Your Wicked Heart. It was lighter than her usual angsty full-length novels. I think romance novellas are hard to pull off, but this one was good, only a few bumps where it felt like the relationship should have gotten more development but there wasn't room. The blurb is completely wrong, though; I'm not sure which story they were writing about, but it wasn't the one I read.

Last week I started reading Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko. It is creepy, bizarre, and lush. Really good. An older, more sinister, Russian take on magic school. I also read some of Giambattista Basile's Tale of Tales. It's a collection of fairy tales written in the early 1600's. Lots of strong female protagonists in these tales -- definitely not Disney! ☺️

I'm also reading The Two Towers aloud to my kids, and I really hope to finish it by the end of the year. I just checked my Goodreads Challenge and realized I'll need to read 8 more books by the end of the year to reach my goal. I'm not sure that's going to happen...

--Angela

• Like 9

From last week:   Amazingly the book you mention on infertility mumto2 has just become available on our library’s digital platform, and the loan queue is lengthening rapidly.  (You’re braver than me Sandy: We navigated through 12 years of infertility and I think I’d rather poke myself in the eye than read fictionalised stories on the topic  😉 )

I’m trying to decide which non-fiction book to start next as quite a few titles came off hold - such a nice first world problem to have.

Loved the picture book link @Kareni

Completed:   Piercing the Darkness:  Darkness #2 ~ Frank E. Peretti (epukapuka/audio) (3) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1498542393

Currently reading (not including sip reads):

• The Kingmaker's Daughter: Cousins' War Bk 4 ~ Philippa Gregory, narrated by Bianca Amato  Historical fict .  Lots of Counties visited for Brit Trippers    Northumberland (relating to the house of Neville)  / North Yorkshire / Kent / London / Warwickshire / Dorset / Gloucestershire / (Berkhamsted Castle) Hertfordshire / (Ludlow Castle) Shropshire / York / Durham.       So glad I couldn’t sleep well last night, it gave me a chance to plough through a huge chunk of this riveting audiobook.  I haven’t read any other books in this series, and the story stands well on its own.    For others that like to know things like this in advance too: Some sensual content, along with two loveless wedding nights; all are referred to euphemistically and shared with lighter pen strokes.  Details a really brutal birthing experience which ends with a stillborn babe.  Includes a sacrificial killing of a beloved horse. (All are smaller portions that are easy to bypass.)
  • The Raphael Affair: Jonathan Argyll Bk1 ~ Iain Pears (epukapuka)
  • A Picture of Murder (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery Book 4) ~ T.E. Kinsey
  • Like 8

I haven’t been on the Baw thread in forever but just wanted to share a book rec.  I just finished “the travelling cat chronicles”.  It was originally in Japanese and the translator is also Murakamis translator.  Anyway although it’s not quite like murakami it is a very sweet touching book about friendship Definitely worth a read!

edited to add the author is Hiro Arikawa

also the first ch or two feel like it might be a little childish but it’s worth staying the course!

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

From last week:   Amazingly the book you mention on infertility mumto2 has just become available on our library’s digital platform, and the loan queue is lengthening rapidly.  (You’re braver than me Sandy: We navigated through 12 years of infertility and I think I’d rather poke myself in the eye than read fictionalised stories on the topic  😉 )

I’m trying to decide which non-fiction book to start next as quite a few titles came off hold - such a nice first world problem to have.

Loved the picture book link @Kareni

Completed:   Piercing the Darkness:  Darkness #2 ~ Frank E. Peretti (epukapuka/audio) (3) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1498542393

Currently reading (not including sip reads):

• The Kingmaker's Daughter: Cousins' War Bk 4 ~ Philippa Gregory, narrated by Bianca Amato  Historical fict .  Lots of Counties visited for Brit Trippers    Northumberland (relating to the house of Neville)  / North Yorkshire / Kent / London / Warwickshire / Dorset / Gloucestershire / (Berkhamsted Castle) Hertfordshire / (Ludlow Castle) Shropshire / York / Durham.       So glad I couldn’t sleep well last night, it gave me a chance to plough through a huge chunk of this riveting audiobook.  I haven’t read any other books in this series, and the story stands well on its own.    For others that like to know things like this in advance too: Some sensual content, along with two loveless wedding nights; all are referred to euphemistically and shared with lighter pen strokes.  Details a really brutal birthing experience which ends with a stillborn babe.  Includes a sacrificial killing of a beloved horse. (All are smaller portions that are easy to bypass.)
  • The Raphael Affair: Jonathan Argyll Bk1 ~ Iain Pears (epukapuka)
  • A Picture of Murder (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery Book 4) ~ T.E. Kinsey

I have read several Philippa Gregory books and they always seem to be riveting with some really memorable brutal bits thrown in!   I haven’t read The Kingmaker’s Daughter yet, although I had it on hold for several months but it arrived at the wrong moment so I didn’t check it out.  I hope you enjoy The Raphael Affair.  I read several in that series a few years ago......started them for a BaW challenge!  🙂

Never think my reading a book on infertility was brave, it was unintentional.  I have a bad habit of adding myself to lengthy hold lines for books by author’s I think I like.......I get a few surprises and this was one, normally I abandon.  I have sooooo many issues tied up with infertility and pregnancy.  Not sure that I will ever even attend another baby shower, certainly not if I can avoid it.  I never would have continued reading that book except the person in the middle of her own infertility crisis is oddly the little girl who was one of my bright lights back when I was suffering, so since I had started that book I decided to continue.  That is way different than intentionally reading a book about infertility.   As Kareni pointed out Colleen Hoover writes books about really hard topics (wish I had remembered that! ) because I read a book by her that centered on domestic abuse a few years ago....it was a hard read but not filled with triggers.  I plan to avoid her books in the future.

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I haven’t been on the Baw thread in forever but just wanted to share a book rec.  I just finished “the chronicles of a travelling cat”.  It was originally in Japanese and the translator is also Murakamis translator.  Anyway although it’s not quite like murakami it is a very sweet touching book about friendship Definitely worth a read!

edited to add the author is Hiro Arikawa

Thanks for the recommendation!  I will look for it.  Speaking of Murakami,  I actually have the new Murakami waiting for me in my stack! 😉  

• Like 9

@mumto2   I'm liking Iain Pears book so far, it did take me a bit to find my reading grove with it though.  I think I'll save the next few titles for next years "i"s in the spelling challenges. ('e' is a hard letter.   Nodding in understanding 😢 at your paragraph about that unintentional book and your associate ((Sandy)).  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

Wondering if anyone here has read The Queue

Me.  I read The Queue.  I also just finished The Trial - which reminded me of The Queue.  Basically, oppressive government imposes bureaucratic regulations that are impossible to fulfill as no one ever explains what exactly they are, and also they deny reality.  Characters lives are disrupted as they attempt to follow the nonsensical rules but nothing is ever explained.  Then things end with no resolution.

Which reminds me that I didn't post my reading for this week; should do that next. :smile:

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Finished 5 books this week (one was very short)...

118. Everything Here is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee (audiobook) - the blurb says it's about two sisters, one with mental illness, and their relationship, but it's really mostly about the second one and her life.  It's told in many voices by a very diverse cast of characters (the two Chinese-American sisters, an Israeli shopkeeper, an undocumented Ecuadorian man, and a Swiss urologist). 4 stars.

119. The Mere Wife by Maria Dahvana Headley (ebook) - modern retelling of Beowulf with lots of PTSD and Stepfordness, and with women at the center.  I'll echo the Wow that others gave it.  5 stars.

120. Der Prozess / The Trial by Franz Kafka - okay, I slogged through it.  Very reminiscent of The Queue that I read earlier this year (or maybe The Queue is very reminiscent of The Trial, but I read them in the other order...)  And equally frustrating.  And y'know, there's no Trial in this book.  I know that it's a punchier title than "The Litigation" or "The Legal Proceedings" - both of which are also valid translations of "der Prozess" - and it is all about the (inexplicable, infuriating, shrouded) process leading up to a trial we never actually get to.  Yeah, I liked the giant cockroach much better.  I think I'm off Kafka again... 2.5 stars.

121. The Gap of Time by Jeannette Winterson (ebook) - now this was enjoyable.  Also made little sense, but the play it was based on (Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale) didn't really either.  I thought it was well done, and you actually had better insight into some vague plausibility of why people might act this way.  I also really liked the end where the author actually reflected on the original play and its interpretation.  4 stars.

122. On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder (audiobook) - this was the very short book.  Less than two hours of audio, and I thought it made a very good listen.  Very well-spoken and to the point.  I almost feel like I'd like to listen to it again from time to time.  5 stars.

Currently reading:

- La fiesta del chivo / The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (ebook) - have always meant to get to something by this author.  

- Gun Love by Jennifer Clement (audiobook) 

And still reading Uncle Tungsten and The Crab-Flower Club.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Me.  I read The Queue.  I also just finished The Trial - which reminded me of The Queue.  Basically, oppressive government imposes bureaucratic regulations that are impossible to fulfill as no one ever explains what exactly they are, and also they deny reality.  Characters lives are disrupted as they attempt to follow the nonsensical rules but nothing is ever explained.  Then things end with no resolution.

Which reminds me that I didn't post my reading for this week; should do that next. :smile:

So.... is it a book you've given a rating to?  Perhaps a  2.5 (?) like you gifted The Trial?   (Kafka and I don't have a love filled reading relationship 🤔 )

• Like 5

I live with a Kafka-lover. I will suggest The Queue to him.

Speaking of slogs, I finally finished Wolf Hall. It never rose above tedium for me. I would have preferred to have read a history book about Thomas Cromwell. Or to have watched the miniseries, which I might do. To think that I could have covered both Wolf Hall and the sequel Bring Up The Bodies in a six hour miniseries AND been able to enjoy beautiful costumes... I want to weep, lol. 

I will say that the line “Arrange your face” is worth half a star. Thus, I give it 3 stars.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 7

Yesterday I learned that the author of a favorite series had published a new book in that series.  I promptly bought it, read it, and re-read it. I was very happy to read it and my only complaint is that it is finished.

Expedition, Estimation, and Other Dangerous Pastimes (Claimings Book 4)  by Lyn Gala

This is a series that must be read in order.  If interested, begin with Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts . (Adult content)

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

I've been reading the BaW threads but haven't posted much because my reading has been really slow. Part of that I think is because I'm reading too many books at a time and part is because I'm reading some history heavy non-fiction. Though I'm interested in the books they're not the kind that make me unable to put down my Kindle. 

Finished -

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. I plan to continue this series but not just yet. I want shorter, easier fiction to read through the holiday season. Bill (dh) and I have been watching the series on Netflix so I've been going back and forth and seeing the differences between the first book and the series, which I believe combines the first two or three books. We're farther along in the series but it doesn't feel like spoilers to me because the books have more detail. 

Reading -

The Heir Apparent: A Life of Edward VII, The Playboy Prince - His mother Queen Victoria is still on the throne at the point where I currently am reading. I feel so sorry for this poor young man. His parents, and especially his mother didn't actually like him. They might have loved him as his parents but it's clear (to him as well as everyone else) that they don't like him. Victoria apparently didn't like children at all. It's rather sad. I know very little about him or his time as king other than that an era is named after him. 

Peter the Great: His Life and World - This one is slow going. I read the same author's books on Catherine the Great and Nicholas and Alexandra but this one is not as compellingly written. I plan to finish it but am not in any great hurry to do so. 

The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York - There's some overlap between this book and one I read about Bellvue Hospital last year. This was a rabbit trail book recommended at the end of a fiction book I finished recently (A Beautiful Poison). 

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History - This was also a rabbit trail from the same fiction book above. The funny thing is I was't crazy about the novel that led me down these rabbit trails. I thought it was just okay and that the ending was rushed. 

Finally, the current fiction I'm reading is was free on Kindle a few months age - The Vital Principle. I'm not quite sure if it's an historical mystery or historical romance. It seems to be a little of both. The author writes both but her mysteries are usually romantic mystery (I think that's what the category is called - there are so many sub-categories in romance). It's not bad and is just what I need for light reading when I don't want to think too hard about the content. I think I figured out the murderer but I have about 1/4 of the book left to find out if I'm right. There are some annoying historical inaccuracies - I know that kind of thing  irritates @aggieamy but I'm just ignoring them. 🙂 

On 11/25/2018 at 2:46 PM, Robin M said:

Speaking of the Beatles, have you seen Paul McCartney in James Corden's Carpool Karaoke?  Left me misty eyed by the end.

I loved that segment and I was teary eyed too at the end. 

On 11/27/2018 at 8:37 AM, SusanC said:

I wanted to ads a link here for NPR's Book Concierge which is up again for 2018. Before I joined the Book A Week thread, poking around this app often plumped up my to-be-read list.

Thank you! I often listen to NPR in the car and around the house on my phone but I miss a lot by not spending time on their website. I just added to my TBR list thanks to the link.

@Angelaboord I meant to thank you for your reply to my post about Emma. Her heart condition is mild and (I think) the most common one among babies with Down Syndrome. I was happy to read your post about how well Abby did after her surgery, and I hope Emma will follow that same smooth road. Ddil said one parent is allowed to stay the first night (it will probably be her) but after that they can't stay. There's a Ronald McDonald house right by the hospital and both dss and ddil will be taking turns staying there. They've been in contact with them since early on and I think they're all set. I didn't realize you need a background check to stay at one of the houses but apparently that's the norm. The rest of us are planning to be there for the boys. We'll be going to the youngest's (4yo) preschool Christmas program. It takes four grandparents, and aunt, and an uncle (ds) to stand in for just two parents. 🙂❤️ 

Lastly, according to Goodreads I have nine more books to finish by the end of the year if I want to meet my goal of 100 books this year. I read 107 last year but am struggling to reach 100 this year. 

• Like 9

On 11/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, Negin said:

Why visit and remain in a country that lacks human rights, has no clear legal system, and imprisons people for the most arbitrary reasons? Not only do I think that it’s naïve and stupid, but I also get frustrated by people like this, who put their families and loved ones through unnecessary hardship and worry. I think that it’s selfish and irresponsible. 

Totally agree. 

On 11/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, texasmom33 said:

Oh I love William Blake! Sounds like the kids and I have a theme week for poems coming! :wub:

Did you figure out which poems you all are going to read?

On 11/25/2018 at 1:50 PM, The Accidental Coach said:

I'm still sticking to the No Spend Reading challenge.I think I can make it another few weeks. I hope I'm able to catch up on my reading and finish the 52 book challenge.

Wow, you are strong and awesome and an inspiration.  I keep telling myself I don't need anymore books, yet I can't help myself.  I did make it to April this year. Maybe I'll increase it to June for next year.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:42 PM, texasmom33 said:

Oh, and, I've started The Other Woman by Daniel Silva- it's the latest in the Gabriel Allon series

I've read two or three of his books and totally enjoyed them. I just added the first one to my stacks with the intent to try to read in order from here on out. 

On 11/25/2018 at 8:00 PM, mumto2 said:

For fun I started a Chic Lit book by Sarina Bowen complete with a sort of blush worthy cover ( it is on my kindle) and a whole lot of bad language and adult scenes.  That being said it is advertised as laugh out loud funny and it is certainly riveting.  I already have the rest in the series on hold because the wait time is huge....I put them all on hold 3 months ago.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36535656-man-hands

I just read the quotes on goodreads and my son wants to know why I'm laughing so much.  🙃 Nevermind, dear!   Great job on Marigold and Daisy.  I am so far behind right now. 

On 11/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, Kareni said:

The Weaver Takes a Wife (The "Weaver" series Book 1)  by Sheri Cobb South  (This would also be fine for teens to read.)

I just added it to my stacks. Thank you for all the great links. Christmas shopping! 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:33 PM, tuesdayschild said:

Completed:   Piercing the Darkness:  Darkness #2 ~ Frank E. Peretti

Loved both This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. Totally gave me the chills while reading them.  It's been forever since I did. Probably time for a reread. 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:33 PM, tuesdayschild said:

The Raphael Affair: Jonathan Argyll Bk1 ~ Iain Pears

Enjoy Pears books as well.  An Instance of the Fingerpost is quite good, very convoluted and complex and long, but well worth reading.

• Like 5

On 11/27/2018 at 3:27 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

I haven’t been on the Baw thread in forever but just wanted to share a book rec.  I just finished “the travelling cat chronicles”.  It was originally in Japanese and the translator is also Murakamis translator.  Anyway although it’s not quite like murakami it is a very sweet touching book about friendship Definitely worth a read!

Great to 'see' you and thank you for the book recommendation. Added it to my want list. 

On 11/27/2018 at 5:37 AM, SusanC said:

I wanted to ads a link here for NPR's Book Concierge which is up again for 2018. Before I joined the Book A Week thread, poking around this app often plumped up my to-be-read list.

Awesome, thank you. Always fun exploring all the titles.

20 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

121. The Gap of Time by Jeannette Winterson (ebook) - now this was enjoyable.  Also made little sense, but the play it was based on (Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale) didn't really either.  I thought it was well done, and you actually had better insight into some vague plausibility of why people might act this way.  I also really liked the end where the author actually reflected on the original play and its interpretation.  4 stars.

Good to know. I have this one in my stacks just waiting. 

10 hours ago, Penguin said:

Speaking of slogs, I finally finished Wolf Hall. It never rose above tedium for me. I would have preferred to have read a history book about Thomas Cromwell. Or to have watched the miniseries, which I might do. To think that I could have covered both Wolf Hall and the sequel Bring Up The Bodies in a six hour miniseries AND been able to enjoy beautiful costumes... I want to weep, lol. 

Congrats for making it through.  No weeping, just joy if or when you do watch the series and have an idea of what's happening in the story. Seeing if they did the books justice. 

7 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've been reading the BaW threads but haven't posted much because my reading has been really slow. Part of that I think is because I'm reading too many books at a time and part is because I'm reading some history heavy non-fiction. 

Those are heavy books but all sound very interesting.  Hugs and love to your daughter and grand daughter. When is she having the surgery again? 

• Like 8

Almost forgot to share this:  Patty Smith singing William Blake's The Tyger

Sticking with light and fluffy books for a while.  Dipping into Star Wars one chapter at a time. Just finished Jill Shalvis Animal Magnetism which I thoroughly enjoyed

"Sunshine, Idaho, is a small and sunny town—the perfect home for man and beast. Well, maybe not for man, as pilot-for-hire Brady Miller discovers when his truck is rear-ended by what appears to be Noah’s Ark.  As the co-owner of the town’s only kennel, Lilah Young has good reason to be distracted behind the wheel—there are puppies, a piglet, and a duck in her Jeep. But, she doesn’t find it hard to focus on the sexy, gorgeous stranger she’s collided with.  Lilah has lived in Sunshine all her life, and though Brady is just passing through, he has her abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire. It’s Brady’s nature to resist being tied down, but there’s something about Lilah and her menagerie—both animal and human—that keeps him coming back for more…

Added #2 Animal Attraction to my e book stacks.

My dad gave me a nice check for my birthday so went crazy getting the first book in a few mystery/detective  series, including new to me authors.   

Bullet for a star - Stuart Kominsky   (#1 Toby Peters) 
Chalk Circle Man - Fred Vargas   (#1 Adamsberg) 
Cocaine Blues - Kerry Greenwood   (#1 Phryne Fisher)
Death at La Fenice - Donna Leon (#1 Brunetti) 
Friday the Rabbi Slept Late  - Harry Kemelman  (#1 Rabbi Small)
Sign of the Four  - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle  (#2 Sherlock Holmes)
The Kill Artist - Daniel Silva   (#1 Gabriel Allon)
Wife of the Gods  - Kwei Quartey  (#1 Darko Dawson) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Which lead to idea for the 2019 spelling challenge.  I figured each month we could spell out either the first or last name of the character or the author of the series  Let me know if this is too complicated or too many choices. 

Bookish Detectives, Sleuths, and Private Eyes, Oh My!

Hercule Poirot –Agatha Christie (Uk)
Chen Cao – Qiu Xiaolong  (Chinese)
Kinsey Millhone – Sue Grafton (US)
Brother Cadfael – Ellis Peters (UK)
Peter Zak – G.H. Ephron (US)
Guido Brunetti -  Donna Leon  (italian)
Rabbi David Small – Harry Kemelman  (US)
Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg -  Fred Vargas (French) 
Darko Dawson – Kwei Quartey (Ghana mysteries)
Toby Peters – Stuart Kaminsky (U.S.) 
Phryne Fisher – Kerry Greenwood (Australia)
Gabriel Allon – Daniel Silva  (Israel)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

Which lead to idea for the 2019 spelling challenge.  I figured each month we could spell out either the first or last name of the character or the author of the series  Let me know if this is too complicated or too many choices. 

Bookish Detectives, Sleuths, and Private Eyes, Oh My!

Hercule Poirot –Agatha Christie (Uk)
Chen Cao – Qiu Xiaolong  (Chinese)
Kinsey Millhone – Sue Grafton (US)
Brother Cadfael – Ellis Peters (UK)
Peter Zak – G.H. Ephron (US)
Guido Brunetti -  Donna Leon  (italian)
Rabbi David Small – Harry Kemelman  (US)
Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg -  Fred Vargas (French) 
Darko Dawson – Kwei Quartey (Ghana mysteries)
Toby Peters – Stuart Kaminsky (U.S.) 
Phryne Fisher – Kerry Greenwood (Australia)
Gabriel Allon – Daniel Silva  (Israel)

Looks great to me!   Your list is made up of series already on my read/reread list and a few that are new to me.  So great mixture imo.  I probably will try to read a book in each series as we spell.  Personally I like the idea of choices because it’s easy to get completely stuck on a letter,  recently N and R have been difficult and I have no idea why.  😀. Your book purchases look like fun and very useful for next year!  

🤣I guarantee you didn’t want to start reading quotes from Man Hands to James.  The very first sentence has an F bomb.  I did finish and am planning to let the rest of the series arrive from my holds list.  They are light and funny,  I also liked the two friends which must be the main characters in the other books.   Oddly, one of my goals for next year is to read  a bit more in the romance/chic lit genre.  I actually read Animal Magnatism a few years ago and enjoyed it,  I remember the holds list being huge for the second or third in the series so I stopped reading.  Maybe I will read some of those.......

I finished listening to the second book in James Corey’s Expanse series and loved it.  The first book is stand alone but the second book requires knowledge from the first.  The holds line for the audio for the third book is huge.  I checked the book out and hope to read it in book form soon.  It ended on a cliffhanger.  I really like the characters.........bad language is a character trait for one of the new characters, btw.

I am almost done with A Morbid Taste for Bones the first Cadefel for Shropshire.  I am listening to a Christmas themed book called Smoke and Mirrors by Elly Griffiths.  It takes place in Brighton and centers around a Christmas Pantomime.  A pantomime is not simply a children’s theatre production that you take your kids to at Christmastime.  They are a whole separate category of theatre requiring tons of audience interaction, this is the one tradition that my family can’t seem to get real excited about.  @tuesdayschild Do you have Panto’s where you are?  

• Like 7

More ideas for the new year which leans towards reading through our already teetering tbr piles.  Since celebrating 10th anniversary, lots of 10 themes.

Ten Chain Book Train - Each book must connect to the other either by a word in the title or author name.  For example An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire leads to The Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier which leads to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and so on.  Have to be read chronologically, no skipping around and linking them up later and can only read the same author in succession twice.

Scavenger Hunt - Take the last book you read and go to page ten. Highlight every tenth word for a total of ten words.  Then find 10 books of which each has one of those words in the title. 

And of course, 10 x 10 which could be 10 books in 10 different genre or subgenres; 10 books from 10 countries, cities, states, provinces; 10 new authors, etc, etc, etc. 

Here's the New Bingo challenge for 2019 in both jpeg and pdf  - lots of open categories and open to interpretation  

❤️

2019 52 books bingo.jpg

2019 52 Books Bingo.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, Robin M said:

Hugs and love to your daughter and grand daughter. When is she having the surgery again? 

The surgery is scheduled for Dec. 13th. She'll be in the hospital up to two weeks, depending on how recovery goes.

48 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~  

This was a lovely story:  How Do You Move A Bookstore? With A Human Chain, Book By Book

I loved that story! Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 5

On 11/29/2018 at 5:42 AM, Lady Florida. said:

We'll be going to the youngest's (4yo) preschool Christmas program. It takes four grandparents, and aunt, and an uncle (ds) to stand in for just two parents. 🙂 ❤️ 

Just love this!!

(May the surgery go well)

On 11/29/2018 at 12:51 PM, Robin M said:

Loved both This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. Totally gave me the chills while reading them.  It's been forever since I did. Probably time for a reread. 

I think i need to try the books, the music laden audio productions heavily detracted from the story.

Thanks for the Pears recommendation! Wish listing it!

On 11/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, Robin M said:

I'm happy with whatever you create for us -  the genre selected to spell out is a favourite. Idea tossing already.

22 hours ago, mumto2 said:

am almost done with A Morbid Taste for Bones the first Cadefel for Shropshire.  I am listening to a Christmas themed book called Smoke and Mirrors by Elly Griffiths.  It takes place in Brighton and centers around a Christmas Pantomime.  A pantomime is not simply a children’s theatre production that you take your kids to at Christmastime.  They are a whole separate category of theatre requiring tons of audience interaction, this is the one tradition that my family can’t seem to get real excited about.  @tuesdayschild Do you have pantos?

Yes!! But we've only managed to get to one with the children: les mis.. such fun!!

Well done on the Shropshire reread(?) too. Brit Tripping had been such fun, I have two reads left to finish off the challenge. (Happy twirl)

3 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I'm really enjoying The Other Woman and found myself grabbing an Agatha Christie (Hallowe'en Party- my first Poirot novel) to alternate with so I don't finish it so quickly! 

That title is on my holds queue, thanks to you 🙂

Random comment here, no responses needed 😉 I'm hoping all the best titles i have on hold will hit my inbox when i head back for more surgery: a loaded listening device is such a good 'buddy' to have on hand.

Heading back up thread to check out the newer links you've each posted:  nice contribution @Kareni

• Like 7

@Robin M   These challenges look great!  I am definitely looking forward to all of them!  

Ten Chain Book Train - Each book must connect to the other either by a word in the title or author name.  For example An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire leads to The Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier which leads to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and so on.  Have to be read chronologically, no skipping around and linking them up later and can only read the same author in succession twice................I just want to make sure these don’t need to be consecutive reads because I am always waiting for holds to arrive and well, rabbit trails............For instance I can read Artifical Night, a Christie book for instance, then Train to Lisbon, a couple of none related book,  then a Train book.  I just need to read the ten in order right?

Tuesday,  just sending some hugs your way!  😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, I've kind of lost track of the thread but wanted to mention a book I just finished as a re-read: The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale.  Here is the Goodreads page for it:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6402584-the-book-of-fires

It's set in Sussex and London in the 1750s. I won't get into a summary because you can find that yourself, but it's just a lovely book. As usual, people do stupid things that make no sense but just serve to frustrate the reader - but overall it's so good. I had actually forgotten a key point from my first reading, so I'm glad I read it again. Some reviews say the characters are one-dimensional but I thought they were very well done.  It seemed very true to other descriptions of London during the time, and there were fireworks!  Check it out.  If anyone else has read it, I would love to know what you thought!

BTW, thanks to @mumto2 for setting me straight on Christmas in London for Brit-tripping.  It was a couple weeks ago now, or maybe just last week... anyway, thank you!  

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Robin M said:

More ideas for the new year which leans towards reading through our already teetering tbr piles.  Since celebrating 10th anniversary, lots of 10 themes.

Ten Chain Book Train - Each book must connect to the other either by a word in the title or author name.  For example An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire leads to The Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier which leads to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and so on.  Have to be read chronologically, no skipping around and linking them up later and can only read the same author in succession twice.

Scavenger Hunt - Take the last book you read and go to page ten. Highlight every tenth word for a total of ten words.  Then find 10 books of which each has one of those words in the title. 

And of course, 10 x 10 which could be 10 books in 10 different genre or subgenres; 10 books from 10 countries, cities, states, provinces; 10 new authors, etc, etc, etc. 

Here's the New Bingo challenge for 2019 in both jpeg and pdf  - lots of open categories and open to interpretation  

❤️

2019 52 books bingo.jpg

2019 52 Books Bingo.pdf

😘 Thank you for making the Bingo!

As always I will have some questions during the road, but I am impressed it is such a different one!

• Like 5

I'd burned out on J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books after about the first six and was not taken with her Bourbon Kings novels; however, I quite enjoyed her newest book which I finished late last night; I'd describe it as romantic suspense.  Caution:  gore alert.

Consumed (Firefighters series)  by J.R. Ward

"Anne Ashburn is a woman consumed...

By her bitter family legacy, by her scorched career as a firefighter, by her obsession with department bad-boy Danny McGuire, and by a new case that pits her against a fiery killer.

Strong-willed Anne was fearless and loved the thrill of fighting fires, pushing herself to be the best. But when one risky decision at a warehouse fire changes her life forever, Anne must reinvent not only her job, but her whole self.

Shattered and demoralized, Anne finds her new career as an arson investigator a pale substitute for the adrenaline-fueled life she left behind. She doesn't believe she will ever feel that same all-consuming passion for her job again--until she encounters a string of suspicious fires setting her beloved city ablaze.

Danny McGuire is a premiere fireman, best in the county, but in the midst of a personal meltdown. Danny is taking risks like never before and seems to have a death wish until he teams up with Anne to find the fire starter. But Danny may be more than a distraction, and as Anne narrows in on her target, the arsonist begins to target her."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

I am currently reading Doghead by Morten Ramsland. The translator is Tiina Nunnelly - the same translator as the Kristen Lavransdatter novels. I'm reading it (approximately) 2/3 in English and 1/3 in Danish. I'm still working on getting to the point where I can read literary fiction without difficulty. But I have taken the plunge and started going to a book club with a group of Danes. I tried this group once before and was in over my head - am hoping that I can do better this time.

I have also been reading the Immortal Life of Henrietta LacksWhat a thought-provoking book - it raises so many questions about medical research and medical ethics. I feel particularly connected to this story since it takes place in my hometown of Baltimore.

I only have one more Bingo Book to go, and I will hopefully start it next week. 

Thanks, Robin, for putting forward ideas for 2019. I have loved Bingo for the last two years, but I think I will try something different next year. I have some themes that I want to focus on. Maybe I will do them in clusters of ten to go with your 10s ideas. Ten years for BaW threads?! Wow, that is great. I didn't realize these threads had been around that long. I found my way here two years ago, IIRC.

• Like 6