Menu

Is this abnormal? re: sick kids

hollyhock2

Every time my 5yo is sick with anything, she throws up. The whole family will get a cold, and she will, too, with the added bonus of vomiting. This has been especially true in the last year. No one ever has stomach problems except her (with the exception of once). Is this normal for little kids? Are some kids just like that? If so, is there hope that she might outgrow it?

Also, count your blessings it's vomiting and not seizing. I've known a couple of families where any time the kid gets a fever, they have a serious looking seizure, which is another quirk of biology that some kids get. Usually not dangerous, but... being sick sends some kids haywire in weird ways. They do tend to grow out of it.

• Like 3

My oldest will vomit almost anytime she has a fever.  Also, colds generally induce vomitting as well.  The colds, I know the vomitting is due to having a very sensitive gag reflex.  The draining mucus just hits that old gag reflex.  Coughing to hard or even crying to hard will induce vomit as well.  Thankfully she is old enough now to anticipate the vomiting and get herself to the bathroom in time.

• Like 1

I was a kid like that and so was my brother. It was something I have outgrown except when pregnant. I also have a tendancy to get car sick if I’m not careful to avoid certain triggers. 

I have a son that is the same way. It doesn’t matter what he catches, he gets 10x sicker than anyone else in the family and ends up throwing up. If it’s something that actually causes vomiting for others, he will throw up several times an hour for a few hours, long enough to have me certain he’s about to die of dehydration, then randomly stop. It seemed to be the worst from about age 3-6. He’s 10 now and I can’t remember the last time he threw up. 

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 1

Not sick but overtired. As a kid I would get sick and vomit if we were out somewhere much later than usual. As an adult I still get sick from being overtired. In fact, I am reluctant to chaperone any kind of overnight trips for youth group, 4H, etc because I am afraid I’ll be puking if I don’t get enough sleep. So, it does not sound crazy to me for a kid to get sick when their body is taxed by a cold. 

I have a fever-puking kid, too.  But he doesn't *just* vomit.  First, he wakes up with an illness-induced night terror, then gets up and spins around the room panicking (and possibly hallucinating), and finally fire-hoses it in some random direction.  Usually the opposite direction of the barf bucket.

This is why we have vinyl flooring.

some kids are just like that.  if she's otherwise healthy, I'd think it was just her.

I have ones who would run high temps (102) at the drop of a hat - another kid, same virus going around . . . barely cracked a temp.   some throw up - other's nothing.  same virus.  and I usually know who is going to be reactive, and who isn't.

4 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I have a fever-puking kid, too.  But he doesn't *just* vomit.  First, he wakes up with an illness-induced night terror, then gets up and spins around the room panicking (and possibly hallucinating), and finally fire-hoses it in some random direction.  Usually the opposite direction of the barf bucket.

This is why we have vinyl flooring.

Yikes! ? 

My Dh and kids are like that. They just seem to have a hair trigger for hurling. If can be something they ate, too much phlegm, coughing too hard, nosebleed, ANYTHING.  They act like it’s no big deal and move right on. 

I do not get it. I haven’t thrown up for about 7 years and that’s when I was hospitalized with a kidney infection!

Another one here with a kid who puked when he came down with colds. He would throw up all of the phlegm. He outgrew it around the age of 12.

He also went through a period of time when he'd puke if he ate too fast--or perhaps triggered a gag reflex. All of a sudden, it'd be BLECHHHHHHHH all over his dinner plate. It happened every week or so, I seem to remember; he was around 4 or 5 years old. That made for an exciting year.