Menu

gluten free bread question

HollyDay

Dd likes to take pb and j to college.  Her classes are all day on MW.  If I buy a loaf of shelf stable gf bread for Monday, it is bad by Friday, so for about $6 a loaf, I'm getting 2 sandwiches.  If i buy frozen, the bread tears and is difficult to work with so making sandwiches is problamatic.  I've used frozen hot dog buns the last couple weeks, but dd says they are dry and don't make the best sandwiches

Suggestions??

10 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

Dd likes to take pb and j to college.  Her classes are all day on MW.  If I buy a loaf of shelf stable gf bread for Monday, it is bad by Friday, so for about $6 a loaf, I'm getting 2 sandwiches.  If i buy frozen, the bread tears and is difficult to work with so making sandwiches is problamatic.  I've used frozen hot dog buns the last couple weeks, but dd says they are dry and don't make the best sandwiches

Suggestions??

We always refrigerate our GF bread.  Have you tried that?

ETA - If you buy the frozen and let it completely thaw, it won't fall apart.  Once thaw, keep it in the fridge.  It will usually keep as long as 10-14 days in the fridge.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Attolia said:

We always refrigerate our GF bread.  Have you tried that?

ETA - If you buy the frozen and let it completely thaw, it won't fall apart.  Once thaw, keep it in the fridge.  It will usually keep as long as 10-14 days in the fridge.

I did try refrigerating the shelf stable bread and it was still moldy by the following Monday.  On one hand, I'm glad for so little preservatives, on the other, I need a better option

Are you able to buy one of the refrigerated/frozen brands instead?  We love Canyon Gluten Free Bakehouse breads, which are usually purchased frozen or refrigerated, and we have never had a problem with them molding in the fridge.  A lot of people like Udi's breads, too; you can often find them at Costco, if you have one of those near you.  

My oldest dd eats GF and we keep the bread in the freezer.  When she wants a sandwich, we just use a butter knife to pop apart 2 slices.  If they won’t come apart easily, we put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds.  Then it usually pops apart and we unused slices aren’t completely thawed, so they can go back in the freezer.  We rarely have problems with it tearing.  We buy Udie’s or Kinninnik Kinninik.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Can you make a whole loaf's worth of PB&J sandwiches at once and freeze them? Then just put the next day's sandwich in the fridge the night before?

This is what my friend does for her husband. She says she just takes one out frozen and it thaws by lunch. 

I take GF sandwiches to work with a variety of fillings. DD uses a more expensive GF bread with no eggs more infrequently, and I use Udi's bought at Coscto.

I freeze my loaves in half packages and put just a half in the refrigerator at a time. 

DD keeps in her the freezer all of the time and just takes out two slices. If it's too hard to get slices off, she microwaves it for 15 seconds.

I buy the Udi's brand frozen.  I let it thaw on my counter when I bring it home from the store.  Once thawed, I separate it into two slice "groups" and put a piece of parchment paper between them.  I then either put it in the fridge if I know we will be eating more sandwiches than normal, or I put it in the freezer.  If I put it in the freezer, I pull out two slices the night before and let it thaw in a baggy overnight.  

I have had good luck with the bread in the fridge staying fresh and not getting moldy M-F.