Menu

unexpected job opportunity - wwyd?

Noreen Claire

My best friend texted me to ask if I was interested in an adjunct position teaching college algebra in the fall. She's the head of the college's math dept, and they had to add sections and need more adjuncts.

I used to teach high school math, but I haven't worked since DS6 was born. The logistics aren't great - it's likely an hour+ drive in traffic, and it would be opposite the nights that DH teaches a course at a different college, so we wouldn't see each other much during the week. However, the pay is nothing to sneeze at (even factoring in the travel time). Also, it is only one semester (with the possibility of more), so if I don't like it it has a definite ending date. This could be a plus on my resume, as I am expecting to go back to work at a public high school at some point in the future when my boys are older.

We've been talking about it all morning. Here's my question - How do you know if it's worth it?

(FWIW, the salary could definitely be useful, but won't make or break us. I in no way mean to offend those who don't have the luxury of turning down a job. I used to work multiple jobs. I know that I am  privileged in my current situation to have the option to say 'no.')

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crimson Wife said:

In your shoes, I would ask if I could teach an online section to avoid the commute. You'd presumably still have to go to campus to proctor exams and whatnot but it would be a lot easier logistically.

This course does not have an online section. It is a remedial course that requires students to be face-to-face with the instructor.

I think that for a semester, it could be worth it even with the hassle, not seeing your spouse much during the week, etc.  It's 15-18 weeks, right?   Drop in the bucket of time if it'll help your resume.  Trust me,  you want some recent experience on your resume.  

• Like 4

I would do it if I had my dh's full support. I took a college algebra class last year to get units to get my teaching credential back (also a former high school math teacher). It didn't take me long to realize I could do a better job than the instructor I had. Over half our class dropped--I would have loved to have helped them get through this course that is necessary for so many kids. Our instructor didn't try to help kids understand--like if they didn't get it, they weren't worthy of his time. Anyway, it might lead to other opportunities when you really want/need them.

• Like 1

Since this is only for one semester, I would do it. You can do pretty much anything if you know it is only for 16 weeks. It would help build your resume, and it might lead to other employment. If you find that it really does not work for your family, don't renew your contract at the end of the semester.

• Like 5

I would do it.  It would give you a chance to see if you enjoy teaching a college course without an extended commitment  

It varies by state, but one thing that is nice in Texas is if you are teaching 2 classes a semester at a state university (four per year) you are considered 1/2 time and become benefits eligible.  You do not receive benefits at the same level you would as if you are full time, but this in an important perk for some people.

• Like 1

Wow! I was not expecting everyone to be so... unanimous! 

Honestly, I spent the first hour after getting her text message having a panic attack that I'm no longer smart enough or capable enough to teach. I think the last 9+ years of sleep deprivation have done a serious number on me... Imposter syndrome is real, and it's terrible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Noreen Claire said:

Honestly, I spent the first hour after getting her text message having a panic attack that I'm no longer smart enough or capable enough to teach. I think the last 9+ years of sleep deprivation have done a serious number on me... Imposter syndrome is real, and it's terrible.

I don't believe that for a second. I'm sure you are plenty qualified and competent. The only potential obstacles I see are purely logistical and Regentrude is right that it's only 1 semester. If you find that it gets to be too much, you are under no obligation to continue with it after your contract is up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noreen Claire said:

If for no other reason, do it to shut that lie down. 

• Like 13

Agreeing with the others. Absolutely do it.

It will be very nice to have recent experience on your resume. It is for a limited time so if you hate it, you don't have to do it for very long and won't be leaving anybody hanging.

I am currently teaching high school science. While I love teaching, it would be fabulous to be able to do it at a community college where behavior isn't an issue. Far too much of my time is spent dealing with behavior. I do keep an eye out at the job postings for the community college, but they haven't had a full-time physics position open and that's the only thing I'd jump ship for. It would be easier if I had more options than just physics, but you can only teach a course that you have at least an MS degree in, so that's it.

11 hours ago, AngieW in Texas said:

It will be very nice to have recent experience on your resume. It is for a limited time so if you hate it, you don't have to do it for very long and won't be leaving anybody hanging.

I am currently teaching high school science. While I love teaching, it would be fabulous to be able to do it at a community college where behavior isn't an issue. Far too much of my time is spent dealing with behavior. I do keep an eye out at the job postings for the community college, but they haven't had a full-time physics position open and that's the only thing I'd jump ship for. It would be easier if I had more options than just physics, but you can only teach a course that you have at least an MS degree in, so that's it.

Is this a requirement of the college you teach at?

I don't have a MS - I have a BS in math, an MEd, and am ABD in my EdD program (which is where I met my friend who offered me the job, and also my husband!) DH teaches high school physics/astronomy, but also adjuncts at a community college teaching physics with a BA in physics, an MEd, and his EdD. Most of the community colleges around here only require a BS and teaching experience...

(edited)

4 hours ago, AngieW in Texas said:

Behavior can be an issue at the college level.  At a previous college teaching job much of my time was spent dealing with behavior--but there was not principal to send the students to or parents to call.  In fact, the problems were more difficult in some ways because the students were adults with "rights" to wander in class when they wanted, shout out profanity if they wanted, etc. 

12 hours ago, jdahlquist said:

Behavior can be an issue at the college level.  At a previous college teaching job much of my time was spent dealing with behavior--but there was not principal to send the students to or parents to call.  In fact, the problems were more difficult in some ways because the students were adults with "rights" to wander in class when they wanted, shout out profanity if they wanted, etc. 

Lawd, were they on the college version of work-release?? 

• Haha 1

Before reading others replies my instinct was to take it! It is a short commitment with a huge pay off on your resume. It will also let you get your feet wet to see if you want to return to teaching again or not.  If you like it maybe next term there will be a class that is better hours available. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, Noreen Claire said:

I don't have a MS - I have a BS in math, an MEd, and am ABD in my EdD program (which is where I met my friend who offered me the job, and also my husband!) DH teaches high school physics/astronomy, but also adjuncts at a community college teaching physics with a BA in physics, an MEd, and his EdD. Most of the community colleges around here only require a BS and teaching experience...

(edited)

It was a requirement at the cc I taught at about 30 years ago and is a requirement for the cc system where I now live.  I didn't know if it was a universal requirement or a Texas requirement or just happened to be a requirement for the 6 cc systems I have lived in or near.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, Noreen Claire said:

(edited)

IME, many of the accrediting bodies require that faculty have a certain number of graduate hours in the area in which they are teaching (but not necessarily a graduate degree in that area).  How closely an "area" is defined can vary.  Also, the accrediting agencies tend to look at % of faculty meeting that criteria.  So, for example, in business, you could have some adjuncts who have a masters in geology and a lot of experience in the oil industry teaching a business class or a person who has an MA in English and is a bank loan officer teaching a banking course.  But, these people can only teach a particular percent of the course hours offered by the institution.  

So, some schools just make a blanket requirement that you have to have X number of graduate hours in the area that you are teaching in (and sometimes an administrator who does not really understand "area") so that they don't have to worry about the %.  

• Like 1

I  could teach lower level math courses at my cc but not the ones that transfer for college level credit. I don't even have a bachelor's degree in math--mine is in industrial engineering with a master's in ed. But I do have a teaching credential in math and experience teaching high school which they like.

• Like 1