Menu

Basic smoothie recipe- no banana or avocado

Peaceseeker

I have a basic smoothie I like (spinach, banana, blueberry, almond milk) but I am trying to find one my daughter will enjoy.  It can be all fruit or a green smoothie.. I need some kind of base recipe to use but she hates banana and avocado, so I am not sure what will give it the creamy texture.  Should we try yogurt or Greek yogurt? Other ideas for the creamy texture?  Anyone have a basic recipe with measurements we can try out?  It is so expensive to experiment in this area!

(I have a vita mix)

Thanks!

My favorite is strawberry mango. I don't measure - but - frozen strawberries, frozen mango chunks (I add a banana, but you could skip it), spoonful of greek yogurt and your milk of choice. 

Peanut butter helps with the creamy texture too - you could do a PB&J type with peanut butter and frozen strawberries. DS loves chocolate almond milk, PB and frozen banana. You can't taste the banana in it - tastes like a reeses. 

• Like 3

I use frozen berries and frozen OJ concentrate and ice cubes.  If I use blueberries, which are tart, I tend to add a little honey.  I use a banana if I have one, but the use of all frozen stuff gives me a thickish slushy smoothie even without it.  If I don't have a banana and I want it creamy, I add either a little vanilla yogurt or some nonfat vanilla ice cream, whichever I have around.  I buy bags of mixed frozen berries or frozen strawberries at Costco, where they are very reasonably priced and often are organic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliforniaDreamin said:

I have a basic smoothie I like (spinach, banana, blueberry, almond milk) but I am trying to find one my daughter will enjoy.  It can be all fruit or a green smoothie.. I need some kind of base recipe to use but she hates banana and avocado, so I am not sure what will give it the creamy texture.  Should we try yogurt or Greek yogurt? Other ideas for the creamy texture?  Anyone have a basic recipe with measurements we can try out?  It is so expensive to experiment in this area!

(I have a vita mix)

Thanks!

As someone who hates banana and avocado in smoothies, I think the creamy texture is what I actually dislike.  So, it might be a that that's what she'd like to avoid.

I like smoothies that are either all frozen fruit, or frozen fruit with some Greek yogurt.  I really like the combination of frozen cherries, frozen mixed berries and chocolate Greek yogurt.  I put one tub of Greek yogurt and then just fill the rest up with fruit.  I do not measure.

• Like 1