Menu

Used a retinol "beauty lotion," ruined my skin (some graphic content)

Chris in VA

I got a 3 step product (3 strengths--use one for two weeks, go to the next strength, etc.) and a vitamin C serum in a boxed kit. Put it on my wrinkly old face, hoping for a change.

I got a change, all right! Now I have what looks like some sort of rashy rosacea. I know a retinol-type skin lotion can cause acne, but I stopped using it over 3 months ago, and I still have terrible skin! It's like little spread-out bumps, with a little pinhead-sized pus-filled bump appearing from time to time (maybe 3 times a week?) . I don't usually have sensitive skin, but this is just awful. Sensorially, it is difficult for me to not pick at blackheads and zits, so this has been challenging. I hate my skin now!

Ever happened to you? What do you do? It's so dry, but lotion doesn't help, and I don't want to put any "beauty" lotion on it! I've considered just something like Josie Maran's argan oil, but then I feel it'll be yucky and greasy. 

(hugs) That sounds frustrating.

I use argan oil and to me it doesn't feel oily/greasy.  I currently use the argan oil from trader Joe's.  I also use TJ jojoba oil.  I like oil because you can use it to cleanse and to moisturize.

I hope someone has some good btdt advice!

• Like 1

That sounds awful! I’m so sorry. My only recommendation is that if you need moisturizer, go with the CeraVe cream in the tub. It was recommended by my dermatologist and I made him reassure me more than once that it wouldn’t cause acne...lol. It doesn’t say that it’s *face* cream, which is why I was concerned. But it’s wonderful! Non irritating, non greasy, and just feels good on dry skin. 

I would probably use that and a very mild cleanser and NOTHING else, just to see if my skin calmed down a bit. If that didn’t work, I’d probably head to the dermatologist to figure out what is going on!

• Like 3

I think you need to go to a dermatologist.  You need an actual diagnosis before you start playing around with alternative treatments for whatever is going on.  You treat acne very different than rosacea.

If anything in the mean time I would use a very gentle soap (my sensitive skin prefers Ivory, many people like Cetaphil, which I find too drying), dilute some distilled white vinegar in water to use like toner (this will sting but reset the acid balance of your skin, killing bad bacteria and encouraging the good kind), and then cover with the thickest/best cream you can find.  My favorite was Aveeno body lotion until I developed a wheat allergy.  These days I use Olay Regenerist Night Cream.  If you hate the scent of vinegar you can add a few drops of whatever oil smells good to you.  I'd recommend something soothing like lavender. Don't use peppermint or it might irritate your skin even more because of the menthol in it.

• Like 5

Another thought: you haven't been using a sunblock daily have you?  The condition you describe is what my skin does when I use sunscreen I'm allergic to. Look up pictures and see if contact dermatitis looks similar.

• Like 1

Just echoing Katy, if I use chemical sunscreen the whole area is bumpy, red, and itchy. 

If you need a moisturizer, try rosehip oil or hemp seed oil, both of which do not clog pores and are not greasy. I like May Lindstrom balm moisturizer for sensitive skin but that's really expensive (happened to get it as a gift set). In your case I would first go to a doctor before putting anything else on it. 

I've had similar reactions but they dont usually last so long. It sounds like the product destroyed your acid mantle. You have to get your skin back to health.

Personally, I think finding the right cleanser is most important. If your skin feels dry or tight after you use it, it's making things worse. Avoid cleansers for acne, too. Try to find something gentle that doesn't sud. Milk or oil cleansers are the best for that. That will go a long way to getting your skin to calm down. Then, find a good basic moisturizer. Look for ones with hyaluronic acid. You might check out The Ordinary for some inexpensive but basic ones.

I have never used it but Clarins SOS is always mentioned in the beauty gurus guides for irritated skin. It might be worth a try, too.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Even "normal" skin can become sensitive skin with the wrong products. And it's so frustrating and disappointing when things make your skin go crazy.

4 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

The Blue Cocoon is totally on my to-buy list, but it is sooo pricy.  Then I consider how many half and quarter used bottles of $20-60 moisturizers I have, and it starts looking cheaper *cries*.  I wish my skin wasn’t such a nightmare.

The size is deceiving, Blue can last more than a year I imagine since it's solid but melts a bit when you touch it. It's not the best delivery system I think. I really like the peptide container from either Drunk Elephant or Kate Somerville, you know push down on surface and peptide comes up. Those are soothing as well.

BTW OP, I know someone with vitamin c serum sensitivity, the reaction of which is red, bumpy skin, but that should go away after stopping application.

Once I tried high doses of vitamin C to try to kick a cold.  The instructions from a nurse I knew were to take 10,000 mg an hour until I got diarrhea, and then stop.  I never got diarrhea, but 10 hours later I did get a red bumpy rash on my face and every single pore had a tiny whitehead on it.  I never figured out if it was acne or blisters.  It took about three days of tons of water for my skin to look normal again.

Vitamin C serum caused the same rash.

Off to find a dermatologist!

And I do only use water to cleanse my skin, unless I wear mascara (maybe 4 days a week), when I use a wipe to get it off but don't wipe my face with it.

Interesting about the Vit C. I do have a serum with C in it (came with the other stuff) but I haven't dared use ANYthing on my skin, with the exception of Gold Bond on occasion when it is so incredibly peely-dry. 

I am not using sunscreen but may need to start soon, so reactions to that are something to keep in mind.

Thx, everyone--and thanks for being so sweet about commiserating and saying it's a bummer--I really appreciate your kindness. I'm a little hyper-sensitive due to "stuff" I can't control right now, and just hearing some sweet words is so helpful. ❤️ 

• Like 3

I got that in my cleavage from the adhesive on EKH patches once.  It lasted forever and ever.  Finally I cleared it up with Clearasil.  Low tech but effective.  

I'm sure the adhesive was completely cleaned off, but it was like my skin developed this 'habit' of being that way.

2 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I got that in my cleavage from the adhesive on EKH patches once.  It lasted forever and ever.  Finally I cleared it up with Clearasil.  Low tech but effective.  

I'm sure the adhesive was completely cleaned off, but it was like my skin developed this 'habit' of being that way.

I got the most horrible rash and irritation from an adhesive tagaderm clear dressing (basically tape) after a surgical procedure. They now have it in my file that I'm allergic to it. The only thing that cleared it up was removing the patch and giving it time. 

I'm pretty reactive and know the kind of rash you mean. It may have been way too much too soon.  I followed advice to build up retinol type products really slowly at a really low strength, like use the lowest strength once or twice a week and see how it goes. Years ago I had a bad reaction to a vitamin c cream but I don't react these days so I'm not so sure about that one. It could be something else in the cream. Retinol does make you really sun sensitive so I use it at night only and cleanse in the morning and use sunscreen. I have a suspicion you might end up like I was a couple of years ago when I got into AHAs and realised I couldn't use them, it took a long time for my skin to sort itself out. Pretty much only become more normal this year and I still have rosacea but the spotty rash thing rarely shows up.

The La Roche Posay Toleriane range is what helped me. I'd get the cleanser and one of the moisturisers. I like the really thin Fluide but the normal one is good too, They've got something in them that really helps the irritation.