Menu

Build Your Bundle Sale...

Is anyone less than impressed with the sale this year?  I usually enjoy seeing what they come up with...but this year was a huge let down!  Some of the offerings (like the wardrobe helper) just left me saying "huh??"...and all the planners...too many planners!  I also was annoyed by the two things that I did try to look at - neither publisher had a sample and the descriptions are so hard to tell what you're getting.  Oh well, looks like I can put my wallet away for another year.

• Like 1

I see a couple of things I want, but I'd have to get the Premium Build Your Own because the Guest Hollow Language Arts is $20, not $19.99. Grrrrr....... Probably cheaper to just get the individual things I know I'll use.

Yeah, totally unimpressed. It took a real nosedive this year.

I'm bummed, because I always look forward to it. Sometimes we've gotten some neat supplemental things. There was almost NOTHING for older grades this year. Way, way too much mommy help stuff. I don't go for that.

Yeah, it is really bad. I was disappointed. Not that I needed anything but I do like to at least feel enticed. I like to have to talk myself out of the good deals. Last year was ok, not as good as previous years but atleast I still got a couple of bundles and was happy with them. There was nothing I wanted. I looked at Guest Hollow hoping to see Beowulf Grammar but it was just language arts schedule. There was just...nothing ?

Yes.  A lot seems geared to the younger crowd.  I bought the Charlotte Mason bundle last year and we are using the wayfarers but this year then wayfarers only includes term 1.  It's only $35 off the website anyway and not much else in the bundle looks like stuff we will use.  Also the themes bundles don't look as exciting.  and there's a lot of fluffy stuff.

I just popped over here to see if I was missing something great.  I went through and made a short list based on titles, but when I looked further most of those were crossed off.  The things that are left aren't really worth trying to make a bundle.  

Is part of the problem that you already own stuff that is appealing?

I am seeing odds and ends of things I might use, but I wondered if anyone has used any of the art history programs. They looked interesting. So did the All Roads Lead to Rome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I am seeing odds and ends of things I might use, but I wondered if anyone has used any of the art history programs. They looked interesting. So did the All Roads Lead to Rome.

I do think the Art History by Barry Stebbing looks interesting. If I get the Premium Build Your Own, I will probably get the Renaissance one of those.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm really feeling like that too.   They have one thing by Ellen McHenry that looks interesting (but I can't find enough else to go with it to make it a better deal to get it here).   The most interesting bundle this year for me is the Special Needs bundle.  There's a Dyslexia blogger selling a class on various learning disabilities that is something I've wanted to take anyways, and it costs more than the bundle costs, so I'll get that just for that (the memory related thing in the same bundle looks interesting).  

But unit studies?   Either blah or something we've already done.   Elementary stuff?   Nothing just shines and makes me go wow.   Yeah, really disappointed this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kbutton said:

I haven't seen anything that I own.   I've used the samples from Knowledge Quest's "What Really Happened in Ancient Times" and have bought the one they have like that for the middle ages and recommend that.   If we were still doing ancient times there would be more that I was interested in.

I've used a lot of freebies by Math Geek Mama, who is offering the Hands on Fractions Lessons...that's one I'd get if I could find enough to go with it for a "build your own."

I ended up with the Charlotte Mason and one of the upper bundles and the fine arts as the free one.  I like the look of both the Barry Stebbing art history ones, plan to use wayfarers next year and hopefully will get enough else out of them to make it worthwhile.  I was also half interested in skill trek stuff which came with one of them as my kids could do with some life skills.

I do feel like there's a lot more Christianise character building stuff which I'm wary of.  I noticed there was a train up a child publishing.  It doesn't look like the perls one but I really hope not because I don't want them having any of my money!  

I would have loved to see more from barefoot meandering and Ellen McHenry.  They had a lot in last years but only one item each this year.

i did get something from math geek mama so it's good to hear they are good.

4 hours ago, goldenecho said:

Yeah, I'm really feeling like that too.   They have one thing by Ellen McHenry that looks interesting (but I can't find enough else to go with it to make it a better deal to get it here).   The most interesting bundle this year for me is the Special Needs bundle.  There's a Dyslexia blogger selling a class on various learning disabilities that is something I've wanted to take anyways, and it costs more than the bundle costs, so I'll get that just for that (the memory related thing in the same bundle looks interesting).  

But unit studies?   Either blah or something we've already done.   Elementary stuff?   Nothing just shines and makes me go wow.   Yeah, really disappointed this year. 

Thank you for pointing out the special needs one! I hadn't noticed it. I had looked at the upper levels and the Charlotte Mason which are usually the ones I am tempted by, and wasn't happy with them. 

But these are things I like to do with all of mine, and to have check lists already made for me of activities or in workbook style will be helpful. The price is right, so I may end up with this one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goldenecho said:

Yes, the Special Needs Bundle is the one that caught my eye also.  I really, really wish they had some samples online though.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

Thank you for pointing out the special needs one! I hadn't noticed it. I had looked at the upper levels and the Charlotte Mason which are usually the ones I am tempted by, and wasn't happy with them. 

But these are things I like to do with all of mine, and to have check lists already made for me of activities or in workbook style will be helpful. The price is right, so I may end up with this one. 

Honestly I wasn't going to get anything from BUndle but the Special needs bundle has things I can use for my son as well so it has me looking "Is there anything else I can use?"

• Like 2

I didn't see the Ellen McHenry item the first time through, so I appreciate everyone who mentioned there was actually one in there. Why did they put it in an elementary bundle when it says it is geared for 10-14 yr olds? ?? The other things in that bundle are 1st/2nd grade-ish, aren't they? (Going off memory)

I wasn't impressed with last year's bundles and I'm even less impressed this year. In previous years, I've been known to just make note of the stuff I might use & buy it straight from the publisher. I'm probably not BYB's target audience, though, since I dislike having to print things off. I have purchased some bundles in the past, though. Either I use the stuff by printing it out all at once or it just sits electronically & takes up bytes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goldenecho said:

I've used a lot of freebies by Math Geek Mama, who is offering the Hands on Fractions Lessons...that's one I'd get if I could find enough to go with it for a "build your own."

Good to know that her stuff is good--I have my eye on a couple of things that she put in the sale. 

I'm definitely getting the special needs bundle...I was wanting that combo from Homeschooling with Dyslexia anyway.  There's a couple things over $25 in the parenting bundle that look interesting so I'll probably get that one too.  And I'd like that Ellen McHenry study and there's a 50 word roots game thing I could use next year (but no sample or even info on the publisher's page about it) so I may grab a couple of Not Consumed's Bible studies for kids and find one more thing and get a BYO bundle.  

If anyone has a coupon code they're not going to use...I signed up for one and didn't get sent it.  They're only $5 normally, but still.

53 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

I'm definitely getting the special needs bundle...I was wanting that combo from Homeschooling with Dyslexia anyway.  There's a couple things over $25 in the parenting bundle that look interesting so I'll probably get that one too.  And I'd like that Ellen McHenry study and there's a 50 word roots game thing I could use next year (but no sample or even info on the publisher's page about it) so I may grab a couple of Not Consumed's Bible studies for kids and find one more thing and get a BYO bundle.  

If anyone has a coupon code they're not going to use...I signed up for one and didn't get sent it.  They're only $5 normally, but still.

You can email the BYB people and they will email you a new coupon code.

ok, guys, so I bought the special needs pack. So far I have just downloaded the behaviour and social skills megapack and printed tons of it to cardstock. I am actually very happy with this. I am going to get a lot of the games ready over the summer and put into baggies for my 4 yr old who at this time shows no special needs, btw. It is just amazing stuff for her. By playing the games with my older kids, who will just be humoring her to do them with her, we will reinforce many of the things one of mine really did struggle with as a younger child. So the chore cards and all of the things that she will think are babyish, she will still do if we are doing them for the baby, which will help with the organizational challenges she does still have. I also think a lot of these games will be good things to do in the future in preschool/elementary co-ops with my 4 yr old and any of her friends. ?

The megapack alone is worth the $15. I haven't even begun to look at the workshops included, but I am sure I will get something from them. I also printed the working memory workbook. There isn't much to it, but it does give me a few more pages of things to do with mine similar to what my olders to daily anyway. Never hurts to boost this stuff for anyone.  They will willingly do these as part of our morning time. 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, 2_girls_mommy said:

ok, guys, so I bought the special needs pack. So far I have just downloaded the behaviour and social skills megapack and printed tons of it to cardstock. I am actually very happy with this. I am going to get a lot of the games ready over the summer and put into baggies for my 4 yr old who at this time shows no special needs, btw. It is just amazing stuff for her. By playing the games with my older kids, who will just be humoring her to do them with her, we will reinforce many of the things one of mine really did struggle with as a younger child. So the chore cards and all of the things that she will think are babyish, she will still do if we are doing them for the baby, which will help with the organizational challenges she does still have. I also think a lot of these games will be good things to do in the future in preschool/elementary co-ops with my 4 yr old and any of her friends. ?

The megapack alone is worth the $15. I haven't even begun to look at the workshops included, but I am sure I will get something from them. I also printed the working memory workbook. There isn't much to it, but it does give me a few more pages of things to do with mine similar to what my olders to daily anyway. Never hurts to boost this stuff for anyone.  They will willingly do these as part of our morning time. 

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the Homeschooling With Dyslexia classes?  I am curious if they are helpful?

16 hours ago, Jess4879 said:

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the Homeschooling With Dyslexia classes?  I am curious if they are helpful?

No, I won't have time until summer planning mode kicks in. I am still in finish up this year and wrap up co-op, school, and end of year recitals and scouts activities here! 

• Like 1