Menu

Shampoo recommendation?

Night Elf

The stylist today tried to sell me $11 shampoo and $11 conditioner today. I have never spent that much money on hair products. I've been using Pantene lately because it belonged to dd but she started using something different and I didn't want the pantene to go to waste. The stylist told me Pantene was bad for my hair. She suggests I use something for volume. I don't see why. I don't want my hair standing on end. I like it close to my head which is why I get it cut short. So what shampoo should I buy then? I wash my hair about every 4-5 days.

I love Kenra, but it is expensive. However, I use to have to wash my hair daily. Now I can go 2-3 days between washings. My hair looks healthier and thicker, it’s straight, blonde, and pretty thin.

I find that hair texture and thickness play a huge roll in how different shampoo and conditioners work with different hair types.  If you are happy with what you are using, I wouldn’t change. 

She said the pantene makes hair oily and it would look flat. I've never had that problem so I didn't know if she was being truthful and helpful or if she was simply trying to sell me product. My hair was thick when it was long but now as you can see in my avatar it's super short. She put layers in it today. That's why I'm worried about my hair sticking up after I sleep on it. 

• Like 1

A volumizing shampoo shouldn't make your hair stick up or stand on end. It should make it have more body. That's not the same thing as making it stick up! If your stylist recommended one then I suspect she really thinks your hair would do better. What type of Pantene are you currently using? Is it for normal hair, dry hair, etc.? Maybe it's weighing your hair down? Unfortunately, as I've aged my hair absolutely needs rather expensive shampoo/conditioner to look its best, so I don't have any recommendations for anything that would be less expensive than what your stylist suggested.

29 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

A volumizing shampoo shouldn't make your hair stick up or stand on end. It should make it have more body. That's not the same thing as making it stick up! If your stylist recommended one then I suspect she really thinks your hair would do better. What type of Pantene are you currently using? Is it for normal hair, dry hair, etc.? Maybe it's weighing your hair down? Unfortunately, as I've aged my hair absolutely needs rather expensive shampoo/conditioner to look its best, so I don't have any recommendations for anything that would be less expensive than what your stylist suggested.

But that's just it. She seemed to imply that my hair needed volume to look fuller. I don't want to look like I have a full head of hair. I like it laying against my head. She put so many layers in it that I'm afraid if I use a shampoo for volume, it will lift my hair away from scalp and the layers will be more noticeable. That's what I meant by standing on end. I don't see how my hair needs to have body.

The Pantene I have is moisture renewal. As I said before, it belonged to my dd so she bought it for her hair makeup. I'm just using it so it doesn't go to waste. Before that, I just used Suave which is cheap compared to most of the other brands on the shelves. My hair isn't oily or dry which I'm assuming means it's fly away. I can get away with washing my hair every 4-5 days. Do I need a specific shampoo for plain average hair?

You can always buy them once and try them. If you don’t think the results are worth the money then you don’t buy again - you’re out a little money but then you can say for sure if it’s worth it or not.

I am not a fussy person by any stretch, and I regularly spend more for my shampoo and conditioner because I like the way my hair looks and feels afterwards (and I don’t have to put othe product in!).

• Like 1

I spend more on shampoo (Biolage) because it means I can wash every two or three days instead of every day. If I use Suave or another super thrifty brand I have to wash every day. But if you’re happy with your shampoo, don’t change. 

I also find that I need less shampoo per wash if I use a higher quality brand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Night Elf said:

She said the pantene makes hair oily and it would look flat. I've never had that problem so I didn't know if she was being truthful and helpful or if she was simply trying to sell me product. My hair was thick when it was long but now as you can see in my avatar it's super short. She put layers in it today. That's why I'm worried about my hair sticking up after I sleep on it. 

I’d say if you only need to wash your hair every 4-5 days the Pantene is not making your hair oily at all. I’m also kind of jealous!

One of my boys has really nice hair that looks good no matter what bargain shampoo/conditioner I use. One of boy’s hair looks better with more expensive stuff, but not enough better that I’m willing to fork out the money. They both have pretty short hair and I would never describe their hair as oily or dry either. I say keep using what you like. 

Stylists always say this about Pantene and other “supermarket” hair products, but there has been research done on this and it is NOT TRUE. If you wash your hair with it and like your hair, it is fine. 

I use HASK, which can be bought at Target, though it is also at Ulta. It’s around $5-6 a bottle. I like this one and I like that it is not tested on animals. I also like Dove smoothening shampoo, though this is not animal-friendly. 

My stylist is always trying to nag me into buying salon shampoos and products, but I won’t do it. I find it ironic that she comments on how healthy and thick my hair is and then disparages my “cheap” products. 

If it’s not broken, don’t fix it. 

• Like 1

Some salons really push the stylists to sell hair products. One thing I like about the salon I go to is that they don't do that. They have products for sale, but my stylist has never tried to sell me anything and I've never heard any of the other stylists try to sell anything, either.

• Like 1

Eh, use what you want.

Many women want lush, full hair.  They want to look like the women in the hair commercials, with gobs of shiny, glossy, hair cascading all around.  

She's probably just so used to women coming in and wanting their hair to look thick and lush, that she's not used to someone coming in who wants their hair to be flat.  I have super flat hair naturally, and I just bought myself some Suave volumizing shampoo yesterday. :)  

But for you, you don't have to worry about having voluminous hair!  You don't want it!  And that's fine. It's ok to nod politely when she suggests it, and then say, "Thanks for the tip, but not this time," and then leave.  Use whatever shampoo you're already using and are happy with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Garga said:

It's ok to nod politely when she suggests it, and then say, "Thanks for the tip, but not this time," and then leave.  Use whatever shampoo you're already using and are happy with.

She actually brought the bottles to me. I bet she sells some like that due to the awkwardness of the situation.

I'd give Suave Professionals a try.  We like several in that line.  There is a volume one called Bamboo and Aloe Vera that you could just try and if you don't like it, you're not out a lot of money.  I personally like the Almond and Shea Butter one.  (I love the smell.  Honestly, I would never use Pantene because it's SO perfumey to me!)  If your hair is somewhat dry, choose one from the Moroccan line or one with an oil in it.  That will not give volume.

http://www.suave.com/product/category/661365/suave-professionals

10 hours ago, Night Elf said:

She actually brought the bottles to me. I bet she sells some like that due to the awkwardness of the situation.

I don’t doubt it; it is a marketing technique. It’s the same when a charity organization calls you and then says something like, “So where can I send your contributor’s packet? Shall I use the 1234 Main Street address?” It’s using presumption as if of course you will definitely contribute. 

• Like 1

Actually, we've found that sometimes the water in different areas of the country works differently with different brands of shampoo.  For instance, the shampoo we liked in northwest Ohio didn't work the same way here in St. Louis. So even if I think I have the perfect shampoo for you that works exactly right on my hair with my water, it might do something different for you.

Really, use what you like. If the Pantene seems to be working for you, keep using it. Just tell the hairdresser you'll keep her suggestion in mind for the future. No need to tell her that the future you're referring to may be decades from now.

• Like 2