Menu

Book a week 2018 - BW9: I think Continually by Sir Stephen Spender

Robin M

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's prompt asked for the Top Ten Books I Could Re-Read Forever.

Many bloggers replied and you can see the whole list above.  Some examples below:

zero

one

two

three

four

five

six

seven

Do you care to make your own list?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an FYI to all, 'cause this has happened to me and I hate it - I found out by accident that if this happens, the post can be recovered.  Even if you closed the window by accident!  Go back to the thread you were responding to (even if you have to open a new window to get back there), and in the bottom left of the Reply window it will say "Last auto saved..." and if you click on that, it will restore all the stuff you typed and thought you blew into oblivion!!   I have now recovered very long posts more than once.  

Very handy hint. Thank you!! (Just tried it, and it works for me on my computer.)

• Like 5

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's prompt asked for the Top Ten Books I Could Re-Read Forever.

Regards,

Kareni

Sounds like fun and I'm game. You'd think I'd have an instant answer, especially since I love Nora /J.D. Robb so much.  Have to mull over my choices since I most likely will be rereading.  July and August have turned into my reread months each year.  As Arnold say's "I'll be back."   :thumbup1:

• Like 6

All right guys, the wait is over!!!

I finished Roger Ackroyd tonight and I seriously didn't see it coming.  The ending, that is.  I mean I think maybe it crossed my mind at some point but I dismissed it.  I usually know who the perpetrator is really early on lol!

I really enjoyed it.  It was so fun to read!  I was telling Link (14) that maybe he'd have liked that one better than Murder on the Orient Express, which he read earlier this year.

After finishing that one, tonight I started Hyperbole and a Half.  I will probably read it here and there and also start a book on Overdrive - I just haven't decided which one yet.  :)

So my first reading of anything Christie was a success!!!  :D

• Like 10

I finished Roger Ackroyd tonight and I seriously didn't see it coming.  The ending, that is.  I mean I think maybe it crossed my mind at some point but I dismissed it.  I usually know who the perpetrator is really early on lol!

I really enjoyed it.  It was so fun to read!  I was telling Link (14) that maybe he'd have liked that one better than Murder on the Orient Express, which he read earlier this year.

After finishing that one, tonight I started Hyperbole and a Half.  I will probably read it here and there and also start a book on Overdrive - I just haven't decided which one yet.   :)

So my first reading of anything Christie was a success!!!   :D

I'm supposed to be asleep because I've got to get up at the crack of dawn but I just had to get on here to see if you had finished the book yet! I'm so happy you were able to read it without seeing any spoilers before now. I had no idea either. 

• Like 8

I abandoned P.D. James dramatised audio, edited my comment up thread about that, and wasn’t in the mood to start

The Remains of the Day ~ Kazuo Ishiguro yet so I decided to start reading

First Lady:  The Life and Wars of Clementine Churchill ~ Sonia Purnel (Buckinghamshire)

and have A Colourful Death: A Cornish Mystery Bk 2 ~ Carola Dunn as another of my audiobooks.

(ETA: Wondering where I could place The Silmarillion ~ J.R.R. Tolkien  - it’s on my list to be read soon -  would it be a wild card?)  

So happy that you enjoyed your first A.C book Kara!

Looking forward to seeing your list of 10 re-read titles Robin.  

Time to read books must be the only upside to a fever loesje.  Hope you're better soon.

Smiles,

Chelle

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 6

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's prompt asked for the Top Ten Books I Could Re-Read Forever.

Regards,

Kareni

I saw Kareni’s post right before turning the light out last night. I have been thinking about this all night. So here goes..........

Remember I am a series reader. I love series so individual retreads happen rarely. These are series I have either already reread or am rereading. A couple that I plan to start on soon.

The Cat Who.......by Lillian Jackson Braunhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/508903.The_Cat_Who_Could_Read_Backwards. Reread in progress.

St. Cyr by CS Harrishttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39149.What_Angels_Fear A new release this spring. I may try for a series reread before reading the new one. I can’t wait!

The Others by Anne Bishop https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15711341-written-in-red. Eventually;) Waiting for the new release. Would love to reread soon.

Alphabet Mysteries by Sue Grafton https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64863.A_is_for_Alibi. In progress. I’m on J I think.

Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny In my plans for when Brit Tripping is over. https://www.goodreads.com/series/42154-chief-inspector-armand-gam ache

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9317452-rivers-of-london. Spooky London here I come!

Agatha Christie.........Loving the current reread so will probably do it again when finished

Dorothy Sayers.......Same as Christie with a longer break

Harry Potter.....I have read them in order with each new release. Maybe this year if not next.

The Oz series by Baum.......My favorite read aloud! I adore this series and all of the wonderful characters.This is my ultimate craft project before grandkids. I want to make main character dolls. So far all I have is Scraps.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

Laura, I know what you mean by everyone going too quickly. Fortunately, everyone has assured me that we are welcome anytime even if we take all year on one book. Thank you for making us all feel welcome!

I finished Ready Player One a few days ago. It was weird in parts and I wasn't sure I was going to like it in the end, because of the violence mid-stream, but I really got into it about 70% through. I liked the 80s references, mostly the music and movies because I was never a computer or D&D gamer. I think I'm five years too young to really get all of the references, though. (First time in a long while to say I'm too young.)

I'm working on the Half-Drowned King and doing ok, hut again, the violence! (Viking Times, so raiding, gutting, rape, torture, etc. Yuck.)

• Like 7

I started a reread of News of the World for book club. It was my month to choose and it's been almost a year since I read it so I wanted to brush up on the details. If necessary I'll just skim it. The meeting is next Monday. 

I really enjoyed it.  It was so fun to read!  

That one is such a good read. I think her three best are her best because of the twists. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express, and And Then There Were None were all groundbreaking. Each one has been copied and used so many times in so many different ways that it's easy to forget how remarkable and unexpected the endings were at the time. 

I am listening to In the Garden of Beasts which has been on my list for awhile. So far what I've read (heard) is a bit shocking. Didn't get taught this stuff in school history class. 

I had that on my list, but after trying and failing twice to read The Devil in the White City I'm not sure if I would like this one either. I tried both audio and print versions and in both cases found it  too dry to hold my attention. 

• Like 9

A currently free classic for Kindle readers; this is for one day only ~

The Black Gang by H. C. McNeile 

Also currently free  ~

The Stationmaster's Cottage by Phillipa Nefri Clark

Kaplan AP U.S. History Prep

These are LGBT:

An Outsider Inside  by R J Samuel

Bread, Salt and Wine  by Dev Bentham

The Horse Mistress  by R. A. Steffan

The Foxhole Court  by Nora Sakavic

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 3

A bookish post ~

"Consider the book cover: that eye-catching portal into fantastical stories, brutally honest memoirs, and art books brimming with hyper-detailed images of masterpieces.

At their best, covers offer an enticing teaser for what’s to come on a book’s pages, or convey the essence of a story in question. It’s not an easy task, as any book designer will tell you. But it’s certainly a rewarding one.

Below, we talk with five designers whose book jackets are routinely hailed as crowd favorites. Their designs blanket young adult bestsellers like John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down (2017), literary classics like Vladimir Nabokov’s The Eye (1930), and tomes that rethink the form of a book (one comes with a remote control, and drives like a toy car)...."

ETA: One more article about a cover ~ 

Exclusive Cover Reveal: Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 6

Regarding Top Ten Books I Could Re-Read Forever.

Sounds like fun and I'm game. You'd think I'd have an instant answer, especially since I love Nora /J.D. Robb so much.  Have to mull over my choices since I most likely will be rereading.  July and August have turned into my reread months each year.  As Arnold say's "I'll be back."   :thumbup1:

J. D. Robb's ... in Death series would have been on my list five years ago, but somehow I stopped reading it a few years ago.  I continue to collect the books though as I suspect I'll return to the series.

I saw Kareni’s post right before turning the light out last night. I have been thinking about this all night. So here goes..........

Remember I am a series reader. I love series so individual retreads happen rarely. These are series I have either already reread or am rereading. A couple that I plan to start on soon.

The Others by Anne Bishop https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15711341-written-in-red. Eventually;) Waiting for the new release. Would love to reread soon.

I enjoyed reading your list, mumto2; The Others is on my list, too.

And I keep meaning to try the Aaronovitch sereies ... one day!

Re-reads:

Most of Sayers, most of Austen.  That's at least ten, isn't it?

Definitely!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

My list of the ten(ish) book or series that I frequently re-read ~

[This list has morphed over time with new discoveries and changing tastes.]

Anne Bishop's paranormal fantasy The Others series which starts with Written in Red

Anne Cleeland's Acton and Doyle mystery series which starts with Murder In Thrall

Lyn Gala's male/male alien romance series which begins with Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts

S. K. Dunstall's space opera series which begins with Linesman (A Linesman Novel)

Some Star Trek favorites:  Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday both by A.C. Crispin; Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan; Ishmael by Barbara Hambly; The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar; and  Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane

Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series which starts with the novella Alpha & Omega

Sarina Bowen's  new adult romance The Year We Fell Down

and some books by

Thea Harrison

Jennifer Ashley

Mary Balogh

Lisa Kleypas

Jo Goodman

Joanna Bourne

Clearly I can't count to ten!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Top Ten -

In a separate category I have the Harry Potter series, most of Toni Morrison's novels, and nearly all of Jane Austen's books (I could skip Mansfield Park and much of her juvenilia). If they don't get listed separately I'd use up my ten very quickly, and even go over ten.

So those books aside, in no particular order - 

1. The Grapes of Wrath

2. The Great Gatsby

3. Anna Karenina

4. The Age of Innocence

5. Middlemarch

6. East of Eden

7. Wives and Daughters

8. The Importance of Being Ernest (if plays count)

9. David Copperfield

10. Great Expectations

• Like 8

My top Ten also morphs depending on my mood.  I also would include quite a few series since I'm a series type of gal.   :laugh:   Since I've already read and listened to In Death series half a dozen times, King's Dark Tower series is at the top of the list.  For now.   :thumbup1:

Series

• Stephen King's Dark Tower
  • Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompson
  • Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock
  • Karen Marie Moning's Fever 
  • C.M. Murphy's Walker Papers
  • J.D. Robb's In Death
  • Louise Penny's Armand Gamache
  • Anne Bishop's Other 
  • Seanan McGuire's October Daye
  • James Rollin's Sigma Force

Singles

• Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible
  • T.M. Causey's The Saints of Lost and Found 
  • Dean Koontz - By the Light of the Moon
  • Nora Roberts - Northern Lights
  • Frank Herbert's Dune 

• Like 5

Top Ten -

In a separate category I have the Harry Potter series, most of Toni Morrison's novels, and nearly all of Jane Austen's books (I could skip Mansfield Park and much of her juvenilia). If they don't get listed separately I'd use up my ten very quickly, and even go over ten.

So those books aside, in no particular order - 

1. The Grapes of Wrath

2. The Great Gatsby

3. Anna Karenina

4. The Age of Innocence

5. Middlemarch

6. East of Eden

7. Wives and Daughters

8. The Importance of Being Ernest (if plays count)

9. David Copperfield

10. Great Expectations

I'm right there with you for Harry Potter series, Austen's books, and The Great Gatsby. I love The Great Gatsby. 

• Like 6

I need a Kindle and a decent internet connection. Those lists of free books are killing me.

Finished Rethinking School inside of a day. Excellent read. I've already recommended it to friends.

I am struggling through Eye of the World. I'm in chapter 5, and so far nothing has really happened. There's information, a few tremors of unrest, but I'm yawning at this point. I can't find a character I'd like to root for. I'm going to give it three more nights of reading, and if somebody doesn't blow something up or burn the village to the ground, I think I'll cry quits.

I know it's a classic, but I'm spoiling for either some action or a person I want to be around for that length of a book.

• Like 9

On to Northamptonshire, and with whom else than the Northamptonshire Poet, John Clare?

My MIL is from Northamptonshire.  Thrapston to be exact.  Most of her sisters still live there.

I haven't been reading much.  Only 14 books so far this year and none finished since February 18th.  I've got a lot in process, but no motivation to finish them.

• Like 8

I'm a bit befuddled as to where I left off posting - I was sick for most of the last week and finally am starting to feel human again.

The good news is that I did finish my very chunky book - All Clear by Connie Willis (the sequel to Blackout).  I was not sure how I felt about this one (and the previous one).  I liked the premise, I liked the writing, I liked the characters but I desperately wanted there to be more editing.  These books were originally planned to be one book and I felt they still could have been one book.  150 pages into the 600+ page book and I felt like absolutely nothing had happened - and I felt like these loops of 50-75 pages with no progress kept on happening.  If they could have deepened the characters or atmosphere, I might have been OK with it but I didn't feel either of those things was happening.

I also finished The Cat Who Went to Paris by Peter Gethers, which was from The Shelf project.  I remembered this as a light fluffy read I had enjoyed (being a cat person) but rereading it some 20 years later, I found it rather offensive (the 1980s were not the most enlightened times) and while the cat is cute and all, I'm not going to hand this one to my cat loving children to read.

Been thinking about my top 10:

1. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

2. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

3. The Blue Castle - LM Montgomery

4. Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - Alexandra Fuller

5. The Curve of Time - M. Wylie Blanchet

So far that's the 5 I can think of off the top of my head while I'm at work.  Now to get back to work.

• Like 8

Raifta, Glad you are feeling better!

My MIL is from Northamptonshire.  Thrapston to be exact.  Most of her sisters still live there.

I haven't been reading much.  Only 14 books so far this year and none finished since February 18th.  I've got a lot in process, but no motivation to finish them.

:grouphug: I hope things improve. I was so glad to see your post because I have missed you! I looked up Thrapston and have come to the conclusion that I must have been there at some point at least in the car since I have been to a nearby town off the A1.

I finished my first Bedfordshire book by reading Bednobs and Broomsticks by Mary Norton. Disney's movie has always been a special favorite of mind so I was excited to read the book. The book is probably much better when you aren't constantly comparing to the movie and deciding it falls a boring by comparison! I did run into a free prime memberr mystery set in Bedfordshire called Murder Now and Then https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22494226-murder-now-and-then and put that on my Kindle to try.

For Northamptonshire I remembered one of the Inspector Rutledge Books is set there. I'm going to skip way ahead in the series and try A Long Shadow which is Book 8 and see if I prefer the later books in the series. I had to give up on the planned book because it seemed to be a bit too gritty for my current mood so needed to find another book!

• Like 7

Hello to March. Hugs to all battling the flu. Hope you feel better soon. 

My buying ban is going to be greatly tested this month with the release of newbies by Karen Marie Moning, Patricia Briggs and Anne Bishop.  I'll just have to keep telling myself wait until the paperback comes out.   :lol:

It's World Book Day and loving this article about 10 literary cities.  

Translators are vanguard of change 

Bill Gates first two favorite books of 2018

Stumbled across this Librarian doll. Didn't we talk about having something similar at one point which would be passed round BaWer's?   Hmm!  

Something else I very tempted to try - book roses

Speaking of rereads - I'm currently rereading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird,  Also jumped into Robert Jordan's Crossroads at Twilight  (ebook) and ready to dive into Penman's When Christ and her Saint's Slept (chunky dusty hardbound).  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 9

So I'm apparently reading multiple books at once, which I don't really do often.

I still haven't finished Too Small to Ignore, but not for any negative reason - I just keep forgetting to move it over to the pile of books I'm reading. :lol:

After taking Uncle Tom's Cabin back to the library and deciding not to read it right now, I ended up noticing it in my iBooks list the other night, so I started reading that one.

I'm about halfway through Hyperbole and a Half, which is funny.

Lastly, I decided to try a free book from iBooks, a teen lit book called Silence.  Which really does feel like it was written by a teenager. :lol:  But I'm just interested enough and it's not a difficult read by any means, so I'll probably continue it when I need a break from Uncle Tom and DH doesn't want the lamp on.  :lol:  

• Like 7

Ah, and I have no idea what my top 10 rereads would be.  I have read the Harry Potter series multiple times and love it every time.  Aside from that...

Oh, I do read The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster so often that it's pretty much always on my 'currently reading' list.  I read it the first time in college (required reading my freshman year) but didn't really realize how excellent it was until I was a bit older.  Since then I've read it multiple times.  This year I started the year again focusing on one of the disciplines - Meditation.  I was considering doing one per month (which I did a couple years ago), but when February came I still felt it wasn't time to move on past meditation, so I stayed with that one through til today; I read the next chapter, Prayer, today, and will focus on that for a month - or more - whatever feels right.

Okay so there are two.  :D :lol:  

• Like 7

I still haven't finished Too Small to Ignore, but not for any negative reason - I just keep forgetting to move it over to the pile of books I'm reading. :lol:

Does that mean it should be retitled Too Small to Notice?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I recently finished a re-read of Anne Cleeland's Murder in Shadow and then went on to read the author's newly released 

Murder in Misdirection (The Doyle and Acton Scotland Yard series Book 7).

I enjoyed them both and look forward to reading on in the series.  (I will say though that the Kindle formatting of the seventh book was poor with many blank pages and floating page numbers.)  This is a series that should definitely be read in order; start with book one, Murder in Thrall.

I also read a book that several others here have mentioned ~ 

The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter  by Margareta Magnusson.

This was a quick and worthwhile read.  (Now I only need to actually implement some of these ideas!)

"In Sweden there is a kind of decluttering called döstädning, dö meaning “death†and städning meaning “cleaning.†This surprising and invigorating process of clearing out unnecessary belongings can be undertaken at any age or life stage but should be done sooner than later, before others have to do it for you. In The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning, artist Margareta Magnusson, with Scandinavian humor and wisdom, instructs readers to embrace minimalism. Her radical and joyous method for putting things in order helps families broach sensitive conversations, and makes the process uplifting rather than overwhelming.

Margareta suggests which possessions you can easily get rid of (unworn clothes, unwanted presents, more plates than you’d ever use) and which you might want to keep (photographs, love letters, a few of your children’s art projects). Digging into her late husband’s tool shed, and her own secret drawer of vices, Margareta introduces an element of fun to a potentially daunting task. Along the way readers get a glimpse into her life in Sweden, and also become more comfortable with the idea of letting go."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Finished the age of innocense, finally a night without intterrupted sleeping...

Glad you slept better!

I enjoyed the Age of Innocence - I read it a couple of months ago.  I had a Kindle mishap with it, however.  I started reading it, put it down for a couple of weeks, then when I picked it up again I managed to begin after the big time shift near the end of the book.  Kindle kept telling me that I was close to finished, which seemed odd as I didn't feel as if I had read that much.  It was only when I got to the end that I finally put together that I had missed two-thirds of the book.

So I went back to the beginning and read it again.  I don't recommend the process, but I do think that my cockeyed way of reading it added a certain texture!

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 8

I haven't posted in a while - I've got some Brit Trip questions, and then my reading update.

First, thank you so much to MumTo2 and Amy for setting up this Brit Trip challenge. I had lost my reading for pleasure mojo, and this challenge has really gotten me excited about reading again!  OK, on to some questions:

* Does York (week 13) refer to the city or a county? If it's the city, then I can use Clouds of Witness as Lord Peter does pass through there on one of his trips up to Riddlesdale. 

* If a book takes place in Leeds, is that in the East/West Riding of Yorkshire category?

* What is the definition of "chunkster?"

Last week was our break week for school (6 weeks on and 1 week off really saves our sanity!), so I got quite a bit of reading finished. I lingered in Cambridge for a long time, then read some North Yorkshire titles, and am now back in Cambridge.

17. Shoulder the Sky by Anne Perry (Cambridge, Sussex)

18. To Conquer Mr. Darcy by Abigail Reynolds (Hertfordshire, Derbyshire) - total fluff Austen fanfic

19. Angels in the Gloom by Anne Perry (Cambridge)

20. At Some Disputed Barricade by Anne Perry (Cambridge)

21. We Shall Not Sleep by Anne Perry (Cambridge, London)

22. A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie (N. Yorkshire)

23. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers (N. Yorkshire, York?)

Brit Trip update: 14 books, 19 (20?) counties

Currently reading: 

Poison by Charlot King (back to Cambridge!)

The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking

Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness by Britta Olsson

Plus continuing several slow reads

• Like 8

I have a decision to make. Do I finish Eye of the World or take it back to the library? As I hoped (sort of suspected given the usual arc of a quest plot) we did have a raid and some houses got burned, and some people got injured. But it wasn't very dramatic, and it wasn't very big. I don't like any of the characters enough to go 100+K words with them at this point.

On the other hand--I know exactly what I don't like and why. That would make it a good book to study from a writer's perspective. I could learn a lot--not just by picking out what I don't like but figuring out what I do like (prose, some of the world-building, description). So do I stay or do I shelve it?

I think I stay at this point and learn what I can, and pick something else from my stack to read for pleasure.

• Like 8

I haven't posted in a while - I've got some Brit Trip questions, and then my reading update.

First, thank you so much to MumTo2 and Amy for setting up this Brit Trip challenge. I had lost my reading for pleasure mojo, and this challenge has really gotten me excited about reading again! OK, on to some questions:

* Does York (week 13) refer to the city or a county? If it's the city, then I can use Clouds of Witness as Lord Peter does pass through there on one of his trips up to Riddlesdale.

* If a book takes place in Leeds, is that in the East/West Riding of Yorkshire category?

Last week was our break week for school (6 weeks on and 1 week off really saves our sanity!), so I got quite a bit of reading finished. I lingered in Cambridge for a long time, then read some North Yorkshire titles, and am now back in Cambridge.

17. Shoulder the Sky by Anne Perry (Cambridge, Sussex)

18. To Conquer Mr. Darcy by Abigail Reynolds (Hertfordshire, Derbyshire) - total fluff Austen fanfic

19. Angels in the Gloom by Anne Perry (Cambridge)

20. At Some Disputed Barricade by Anne Perry (Cambridge)

21. We Shall Not Sleep by Anne Perry (Cambridge, London)

22. A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie (N. Yorkshire)

23. Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers (N. Yorkshire, York?)

Brit Trip update: 14 books, 19 (20?) counties

Currently reading:

Poison by Charlot King (back to Cambridge!)

The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking

Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness by Britta Olsson

Plus continuing several slow reads

Wow, you're making great progress Brit tripping. I am thrilled you enjoying it so much!

When we made the original schedule we wanted to stay in Yorkshire for awhile and let everyone enjoy some of the great books set in here\there. ;) Many books set in Yorkshire visit York at some point so we used York for a location on our journey, plus it really is the end\start of the Roman Roads we are currently following. I think Clouds of Witness works great for York! :).

I just looked at Leeds with google and get North Yorkshire for the county but suspect most of my neighbours who are Yorkshire born would guess West Yorkshire for Leeds, I would have. Feel free to count it as west. Bradford which many of the Leeds based mysteries visit definitely is West. To be really technical Doncaster and Sheffield are currently in a new county called South Yorkshire but for Brit Tripping need to be put with East and West. East\West\South was just too much for the schedule!

The Yorkshire borders have shifted madly about in the past 50 or so years including names of the county's. In the past few months signs have been going up telling us which county we are entering on most roads. I think they are going up because of the Tour de Yorkshire bike race. ;) Basically the aim is 3 books set in Yorkshire. :)

I am almost done with my audio book which is quite good, it's actually a contender for 5* on Goodreads. The Three Body Problem is Chinese science fiction and quite different from my normal reading but totally enjoying it. It is on Robin's list for her Sci Fi challenge over on 52 books which made me really happy since so far the book isn't set in Cambridge as promised. People went to Uni there but for the most part set in China so far. Jenn, have you read it?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20518872-the-three-body-problem

• Like 8

A currently free classic for Kindle readers; this is for one day only ~

The Education of Henry Adams by Henry Adams 

"The Modern Library’s number-one nonfiction book of the twentieth century and winner of the Pulitzer Prize: The acclaimed memoir of a brilliant man reckoning with an era of profound change

The great-grandson of President John Adams and the grandson of President John Quincy Adams, Henry Adams possessed one of the most remarkable minds of his generation. Yet he believed himself fundamentally unsuited to the era in which he lived—the tumultuous period between the Civil War and World War I.

One of the finest autobiographies ever written, The Education of Henry Adams is a remarkable and uniquely unclassifiable work. Written in third person and originally circulated in a private edition to friends and family only, it recounts Adams’s lifelong search for self-knowledge and moral enlightenment and bears witness to some of the most significant developments in American history."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

So, after waking up yesterday to a Kindle that said I had no content (0!) and that would go into a (2-5) reboot loop upon pressing of the screen, I called Amazon. They were able to get (some of) my content to come back onto the screen, but it remains unreadable since it reboots itself when you try to turn a page (any page). It still does the reboot loop when you try to go into a menu (settings, for example).

So, my kindle (library ebook checkouts) are on hold while we decide if I "need" a new Kindle.  :leaving:

[insert awkward radio silence]

• Like 5

So, after waking up yesterday to a Kindle that said I had no content (0!) and that would go into a (2-5) reboot loop upon pressing of the screen, I called Amazon. They were able to get (some of) my content to come back onto the screen, but it remains unreadable since it reboots itself when you try to turn a page (any page). It still does the reboot loop when you try to go into a menu (settings, for example).

So, my kindle (library ebook checkouts) are on hold while we decide if I "need" a new Kindle. :leaving:

Oh my! :grouphug: I hope Amazon gets this resolved soon! Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

So, my kindle (library ebook checkouts) are on hold while we decide if I "need" a new Kindle.  :leaving:

So sorry. Hope Amazon figures out the issue.  Is there any way to access your books through the kindle app on your pc or an ipad?  

• Like 3

I'm on hold with Amazon right now.

So sorry. Hope Amazon figures out the issue.  Is there any way to access your books through the kindle app on your pc or an ipad?  

Yes. I could get to them from my PC or borrow my dd#3's Kindle Fire. I could also install the Kindle app on my phone, nut my old eyes don't read well on such a small screen.

If Amazon doesn't get it fixed, my dd's Kindle Fire is in danger of being relocated to my room for the weekend.  :ph34r:

-------------

Just got off the phone with Amazon. They suggest I let the battery drain completely down & see how it goes after charging it again. But, they suggest that it is completely unfixable from their perspective because I can't get to the settings menu (as it reboots itself when I touch that option) to do a factory reset. They offered me 15% off a new one.

• Like 5

A chunkster is any book over 500 pages.  

I have a decision to make. Do I finish Eye of the World or take it back to the library? As I hoped (sort of suspected given the usual arc of a quest plot) we did have a raid and some houses got burned, and some people got injured. But it wasn't very dramatic, and it wasn't very big. I don't like any of the characters enough to go 100+K words with them at this point.

On the other hand--I know exactly what I don't like and why. That would make it a good book to study from a writer's perspective. I could learn a lot--not just by picking out what I don't like but figuring out what I do like (prose, some of the world-building, description). So do I stay or do I shelve it?

I think I stay at this point and learn what I can, and pick something else from my stack to read for pleasure.

Sounds like shelving it would be the best thing to do at this point.  The whole series is the same way and I really have to be in the mood to read it since there are so many different characters and events happening.  It's hard to keep track from book to book. 

• Like 9

Sounds like shelving it would be the best thing to do at this point.  The whole series is the same way and I really have to be in the mood to read it since there are so many different characters and events happening.  It's hard to keep track from book to book. 

I will probably continue it at a slower pace. I write fantasy fiction, and the exercise of figuring out what works for me and what doesn't work will be good for me.

However, I needed something else to read for pleasure, and I picked up Elspeth Cooper's Songs of the Earth. Very nice read so far. I love the main character, I like the characters with him and although the pace is perhaps a little slow, it's a pleasant ride.

• Like 5

Just got off the phone with Amazon. They suggest I let the battery drain completely down & see how it goes after charging it again. But, they suggest that it is completely unfixable from their perspective because I can't get to the settings menu (as it reboots itself when I touch that option) to do a factory reset. They offered me 15% off a new one.

Well, drats.  I'm hoping for a miraculous cure.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Today was my day to finish up a couple of my books and I loved both of them. The first was Dark Fire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/138683.Dark_Fire which is the second in the Matthew Shardlake Mysteries. I read and enjoyed the first a few years ago and during my Brit trip research rediscovered this series. They are chunky and I think I may have given up because I couldn’t get them on my kindle......fat books tire my hands. ;(. This book was set during Henry 8’s reign right at the end of Cromwell. Great background with the main character, a hunchbacked lawyer, being a rather unwilling agent of Cromwell. Definitely reading the next one but I have a stack of Tudor books waiting for me at the library so will wait until I read those!

I also finished my audiobook which I ended up giving 5* simply because I enjoyed it for Sci Fi which is not my genre. The Three Body Problem is actually a trilogy. I had no idea unfortunately and need to know how it ends.....I have started the second in the trilogy already. Glad it was available on overdrive! I waited months for the first one.......

• Like 5

My MIL is from Northamptonshire. Thrapston to be exact. Most of her sisters still live there.

Awesome! I met a nice lady from the Lake District on an Edinburgh train. It was like meeting someone from Shangri-La. I apologized for my American fan-girl overreaction but she laughed and said it wasn't uncommon.

One has to imagine meeting someone from Northamptonshire would have the same effect. Surely the locals spend all their time searching hedgerows for Clare's throstles and yellow-hammers, and lamenting land enclosure? It's what I'll do if I ever get there. (Google Willa Cather's breathless pilgrimage to Shropshire for a cautionary tale, however.)

• Like 4