Menu

Stupid people

Scarlett

I clean a small set off offices in a building my boss owns. Today I go in and find that someone had used the big dry dust mop to 'mop' up something very wet. Just gross. So I put it in a trash bag and brought it home to wash and dry before it can be used again.

What the heck is wrong with people. I told my boss and he said, 'leave them a note. Feel free to scold them'.

Any ideas on the wording of my note. " Please do not use the dry mop to clean up liquids". Is that what I should say?

Has it ever happened before? If this is the only time it’s been a problem, I’d let go.

First time for this..,but they are generally inconsiderate. Like the time I decided to wash inside and out of men's trash can. Just to be nice because it was gross. I left it upside down on the utility room sink to dry ....and a trash bag nearby. Next week I find the trash can full of trash but no liner.

My boss wants me to scold them.

Yes, that is exactly what I would say, “Please do not use dry mop to clean up liquids.†And I might add, “Use paper towels.†Or some other suggestion of what to use.

• Like 4

Yes, that is exactly what I would say, “Please do not use dry mop to clean up liquids.†And I might add, “Use paper towels.†Or some other suggestion of what to use.

Right. Like, you know, the MOP that is prominently displayed in the utility room drying on the bucket...next to a utility floor sink where they could rinse it and use the bucket to wring it out.

But no, these are people who will let a kitchen trash bag overflow on to the floor before they think to take it out, put it in the big trash can in the utility room and replace with fresh bag. Or clean out the refrigerator and pile it all in the floor instead of walking 20 feet out the door to a dumpster.

I just can't abide by that kind of laziness and stupidity.

• Like 1

Right. Like, you know, the MOP that is prominently displayed in the utility room drying on the bucket...next to a utility floor sink where they could rinse it and use the bucket to wring it out.

But no, these are people who will let a kitchen trash bag overflow on to the floor before they think to take it out, put it in the big trash can in the utility room and replace with fresh bag. Or clean out the refrigerator and pile it all in the floor instead of walking 20 feet out the door to a dumpster.

I just can't abide by that kind of laziness and stupidity.

I have noticed that a surprising amount of adults do not seem to know how to use cleaning tools appropriately. Also have noticed that some people don’t really “see†problems like an overfilled trash can or a filthy microwave. I used to think that when I worked in the law firm -how can these people put their *food* in this cruddy microwave?

• Like 5

This is what my Dh said. But how do I word it with out it sounding like I think they are idiots.

Well, lol...you DO think they are idiots. So at least it would be honest.

• Like 3

I have noticed that a surprising amount of adults do not seem to know how to use cleaning tools appropriately. Also have noticed that some people don’t really “see†problems like an overfilled trash can or a filthy microwave. I used to think that when I worked in the law firm -how can these people put their *food* in this cruddy microwave?

EVERYone else in my house!!!

I'm finally convinced that they literally don't see these things.  Including my husband, who has suggested that my standards are too high.  If I lowered them any further, our home would be a biohazard!

Anyway, yes; "Please don't use the dry mop for liquids. The wet mop is located ___________."

• Like 8

I'm finally convinced that they literally don't see these things. Including my husband, who has suggested that my standards are too high. If I lowered them any further, our home would be a biohazard!

Anyway, yes; "Please don't use the dry mop for liquids. The wet mop is located ___________."

I feel ya.

A couple of weeks ago, I begged my DH to please, please, pretty please set up the pressure sprayer so *I* could clean the sidewalk before my Christmas party. (Asking him to actually do it DOES NOT WORK. It doesn’t bother him.) He did set it up; I cleaned the sidewalk. Well, it somehow assisted him in noticing that our patio out back was also a black hole of filth. So today, he pressure-washed the back patio. But before my pleading, he simply couldn’t “see†that it looked terrible.

Cleaning the front sidewalk also had the side benefit of making the bright red berries on my Nandina stand out beautifully and look so Christmasy. You just couldn’t notice the berries when the sidewalk looked like a black hole.

• Like 2

Also the utility room is suppose to be off limits to them. But they are always in there messing with my stuff. The other day they took some cleaning cans out of their box and disposed of the box. I had the shelves arranged like I wanted. I told my boss and he was fuming.....he obviously is not in love with these tenants.

This is an office of 4 women and 1 or two men. At least one of the men can't seem to pee in the toilet. There is always pee on the floor. I really never knew there were men like this. Just blows my mind.

You might not want to mention pee on the floor...I’m just saying. ðŸ˜

• Like 3

Yes. Or "Swiffer," regardless of brand. I'd probably call it a dust mop, my kids call anything flat and wipey a "Swiffer." :laugh:

Yes dust mop is probably a more universal term. Regardless, doesn't common sense dictate you don't clean up liquids with it? I was sooooo afraid it was something gross in which case I would have thrown it away.....but I think they just have wiped up water with it.

• Like 1

I thought that was the whole point of passive-aggressive office notes. Maybe that’s just where I work.

This reminds me of when I worked in an office and a few people got notes ‘please don’t leave liquids in your trash cans’. And some people were like ‘Omg who do these CLEANING people think they are?!’

I thought they were idiots then too

Edited by Scarlett

People who work in an office are not likely to view cleaning as part of their duties.  It wouldn't occur to me to haul out the office trash to the dumpster outside.  If the can was full, I'd look around for another can to place my trash in.  Or, if the trash was "clean" like a bunch of empty boxes, set it beside the waste can with a note scrawled on it that it was "trash".

Now, I don't pee on the floor and if I spill something, I wipe it up with paper towels.  But that's the limit of my "cleaning" at the office. 

• Like 6

when I was younger, I had no idea what a dust mop or regular mop were.  I don't know that my dad ever mopped, but if he did I didn't participate.

I would have cleaned up the mess with paper towels because I love paper towels, but I might have mopped with the wrong mop.  

I would write a note saying, "This is the dust mop (picture here).  It is for cleaning up dusty, dry messes.  This is the wet mop (picture here).  It is for cleaning up wet messes.  Alternatively, you can use paper towels."

• Like 3

People who work in an office are not likely to view cleaning as part of their duties. It wouldn't occur to me to haul out the office trash to the dumpster outside. If the can was full, I'd look around for another can to place my trash in. Or, if the trash was "clean" like a bunch of empty boxes, set it beside the waste can with a note scrawled on it that it was "trash".

Now, I don't pee on the floor and if I spill something, I wipe it up with paper towels. But that's the limit of my "cleaning" at the office.

Yes that seems to be the ridiculous prevailing culture of people who work in offices. Even if you think going to the dumpster a few feet out the front door is beneath you why not put it in the utility room big trash can?

Seriously ...Just ridiculous

• Like 1

I don't know that they think it's beneath them, they just think it's not part of their job - in the same way that some people will leave their carts either next to their car (which drives me crazy) or in a cart corral instead of returning them to the store, or people leave their trash/dishes on the table sometimes at a deli-type place instead of cleaning the table, underneath the table, throwing away all trash, etc.

• Like 2

Here's the flip side: The very nice woman who cleans my office building was coming into my office 2 to 3 times during the work day to remove and replace the liner in my trashcan.  I recycle all my office paper so, at most, I might have one to two crumpled paper towels in my office trash can. I finally stopped putting anything into my own can and stash stuff on my desk until I am heading to the break room, where I deposit all of my trash now.

If overflowing trash is a common problem, then the logical solution is to place a larger or second trash can in that location.

Here's the flip side: The very nice woman who cleans my office building was coming into my office 2 to 3 times during the work day to remove and replace the liner in my trashcan. I recycle all my office paper so, at most, I might have one to two crumpled paper towels in my office trash can. I finally stopped putting anything into my own can and stash stuff on my desk until I am heading to the break room, where I deposit all of my trash now.

If overflowing trash is a common problem, then the logical solution is to place a larger or second trash can in that location.

No. No that is not the solution. They don’t always Overflow. There are an adequate number of trash cans and the sizes are appropriate. What is required is good sense. When the kitchen trash can is FULL then take out the trash. It isn’t a complicated process. The big trash can is 6 steps around the corner. Where the extra trash bags are.

What is required is good sense. When the kitchen trash can is FULL then take out the trash.

I completely understand the need to vent. It sounds like a very frustrating situation for you.

However, the office folks are not going to suddenly change how they do things so what can YOU do to make it better/easier on you? Can you lock the utility room so they don't mess with your tools and supplies? Can you provide additional trash cans?

• Like 2

I completely understand the need to vent. It sounds like a very frustrating situation for you.

However, the office folks are not going to suddenly change how they do things so what can YOU do to make it better/easier on you? Can you lock the utility room so they don't mess with your tools and supplies? Can you provide additional trash cans?

Why? Is that how the world works? Oh we have extra trash this week.....and we know there are extra trash bags around the corner,,,and a big trash bin around the corner....but hey, it isnt my job so I will just pile the trash high and let the CLEANING LADY take care of it.

Stupid. Lazy. Unacceptable.

When I worked in an office, I didn't even know where the utility room was and wouldn't have known where to find cleaning supplies, so I guess it wouldn't have occurred to me. Of course, I worked in an office of hundreds of people and it sounds like this is a lot smaller.

Yes I am thinking if you were one of 6 employees you might know where the utility room is. Even if you didn't would you not work on a solution to OVERFLOWING trash?

No we cannot lock the utility room.. There is a reason, not good enough for my bosses thinking and it aggravates him to no end. That doesn't alter the fact people need to use good sense.

I truly think you are dealing with people who think that it's not their job to empty trash. No idea how to fix that...that kind of mentality is maddening. I feel for you. 

As for the dust mop, I'd  note that it's a designated dust mop and any wet spills should be cleaned up using the regular mop (and then remind them where that is kept). But expect them to use the dust mop if it's closer to where they are. Some people just aren't going to make any effort to do a job properly. Super annoying, but SO glad your boss stands behind you. 

• Like 3

I'm finally convinced that they literally don't see these things.  Including my husband, who has suggested that my standards are too high.  If I lowered them any further, our home would be a biohazard!

Re: the bolded above.  Dh and I just had a conversation that went like this:

Me:  Obviously, my standards are too high for...(slight pause to find the right words)

Dh:  The world.

:lol:

Scarlett, that sounds really frustrating!

• Like 4

Why? Is that how the world works? Oh we have extra trash this week.....and we know there are extra trash bags around the corner,,,and a big trash bin around the corner....but hey, it isnt my job so I will just pile the trash high and let the CLEANING LADY take care of it.

Stupid. Lazy. Unacceptable.

Unfortunately it is how the office in question works. You can either let it go or limit the effect on you but you are unlikely to change it.

One of my male workmates sent a very pointed email to everyone on site once though -asking if it was necessary for him to put table tennis balls in the toilets to help them aim and suggesting he give them written procedures on cleaning up after themselves. I thing it was because it came from another man that it worked.

• Like 2

I truly think you are dealing with people who think that it's not their job to empty trash. No idea how to fix that...that kind of mentality is maddening. I feel for you.

As for the dust mop, I'd note that it's a designated dust mop and any wet spills should be cleaned up using the regular mop (and then remind them where that is kept). But expect them to use the dust mop if it's closer to where they are. Some people just aren't going to make any effort to do a job properly. Super annoying, but SO glad your boss stands behind you.

So weird , but the dust mop is hidden further in the utility room. The real mop is at the front of the utility room.

• Like 1

Re: the bolded above. Dh and I just had a conversation that went like this:

Me: Obviously, my standards are too high for...(slight pause to find the right words)

Dh: The world.

:lol:

Scarlett, that sounds really frustrating!

Well, the thing is....I do it for pay but mostly as a favor for my boss. I don't need to spend 2 hours every weekend cleaning this office. I guess if I was hungrier, I wouldn't complain as much......but even if I was hungry people should use good sense and have common decency. Being an office employees doesn't mean you have no personal hygiene obligation.

• Like 2

As for the dust mop, I'd note that it's a designated dust mop and any wet spills should be cleaned up using the regular mop (and then remind them where that is kept). But expect them to use the dust mop if it's closer to where they are. Some people just aren't going to make any effort to do a job properly. Super annoying, but SO glad your boss stands behind you.

Help me think this through. I worked in an office for like 15 years. I had a trash can. I was aware of said trash can. I didn't put liquid in it. Or fish. Or other disgusting stuff. Certainly I didn't let It over flow.

It really is just like teenagers in an office environment.

• Like 1

So weird , but the dust mop is hidden further in the utility room. The real mop is at the front of the utility room.

Crazy.   Ok, here's my other thought- so many people don't really mop anymore. They use a swifter type of thing, but don't know how to use a regular string mop.   But still, super annoying!!

• Like 3

Crazy. Ok, here's my other thought- so many people don't really mop anymore. They use a swifter type of thing, but don't know how to use a regular string mop. But still, super annoying!!

Well yes, this probably what happened. Someone faced with a mess who didn't know the difference between a mop and dust mop.

• Like 4

I used to clean our office that we own. We have about 10-12 employees working there. 3 bathrooms that were used by men and 1 bathroom used by women. The men's bathrooms were gross (shrug). The employees don't take out the trash. That's not their job.

My DH, who owns the company, helped me clean.

He wouldn't have any idea what a dry mop is and if he was cleaning up a mess he would have grabbed the first "mop" that he saw.

• Like 4