Menu

Stupid people

Scarlett

Help me think this through. I worked in an office for like 15 years. I had a trash can. I was aware of said trash can. I didn't put liquid in it. Or fish. Or other disgusting stuff. Certainly I didn't let It over flow.

It really is just like teenagers in an office environment.

nm Edited by Frances

:grouphug:

I know you are very upset by things not being cleaned correctly.  I am truly sorry this is so aggravating to you.  I would like to offer you a bit different perspective, but I want to preface this by saying I in no way am trying to cause you more stress.  I just want to offer a different perspective.

1. The person who used the dry mop was trying to clean up the mess.  They didn't just leave it there.  They were trying.  I would show them some grace.

2.  The person cleaning it up may not be used to normal mops.  They may be used to a Swiffer mop.  They may have simply grabbed the closest thing to what they are used to, not realizing it was not meant for wet clean up (this doesn't mean they are stupid, it means they may have different experiences than you regarding cleaning materials).

3.  I would absolutely show grace, try hard to move past this and simply tape a type written instruction to the handle along the lines of what you posted.  "Only use this dry mop for dry sweeping, not liquids." so that next time someone tries to clean up a spill they will hopefully use the proper mop.

4.  You seem to have some conflicting views on who should have access to the utility room.  On the one hand you are mad that people go in there but on the other hand you want them to go in and get what they need when something needs cleaning, such as a spill or an overflowing trash can.  You also seem to feel pretty strongly that you don't want anyone shifting anything around or changing how things are organized.  In all likelihood the office workers are not aware of how strongly you feel about where things should be, how things should be done, etc.  Or what the actual policy is regarding the utility room.  Perhaps a clearly written memo on the policy regarding the utility room and the items in it would help both the employees and you to make this a more pleasant situation overall.  I would post it on the utility room door.  Short but clear, maybe in bulleted form so it is quick to read.  I know I do much better with some sort of written memo.

5.  I do not think the person trying to clean up is stupid or an idiot.  They just don't have the same strong feelings/skills/emphasis in their lives over the nitty gritty of cleaning and probably not the same background in cleaning experiences as you.  They tried.  They did not do it the way you would have done it and the way they did it caused you to have more work. I understand your frustration.  However, I will be honest, I think you are blowing this situation out of proportion to what actually happened.  I'm sorry this is so upsetting to you.  I hope you can move past it.  It is actually a very small blip in the overall scheme of life.

Best wishes

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 25

When you scold them I think you should also explain. It's no excuse for leaving a gross mess but they might not understand what a dust mop even is.

Exactly. It's likely ignorance, not stupidity. Make a label or write "for dry floor dusting only" on the handle with a permanent marker.

• Like 1

A dust mop actually makes me think of the big, wide flat mops that the janitors used to push around the gym in elementary school.  I've used one at our lake clubhouse to clean up after our 4H meetings.  They are not the kind of thing usually found in homes, so it doesn't surprise me that people may not know what they are.

Kind of like this, but usually in a lovely dirty white/light brown color.  https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Dual-Action-Microfiber-Sweeper-Dust/dp/B00L9RL9SA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514208028&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dust+mop&psc=1

Where I've worked they actually wouldn't want the $50/hour employees to spend much time cleaning.  They needed to be dealing with clients and putting in billable hours.  I worked with a bunch of PhDs.  They often worked 70-80 hours a week.  Those of us who were admins would do the cleaning up after meetings and gatherings with food.  We did a lot less overtime (and actually got paid for it, rather than be salary).

• Like 12

To be clear I am not suggesting that it is their job to take out the trash. I am suggesting that a reasonable person would not let their trash overflowonto the floor before thinking G maybe I should get a new trash bag.

If the trash is overflowing it IS their job empty it.  I walked into Starbucks the other day and there was an empty cup in the parking lot beside my car so I grabbed it and tossed it in the trash as I went into the store. It's not my 'job' but it's what you do.   So yeah, I think it's reasonable that if trash is overflowing that you empty it into the large bin or if that's not a thing there, get a new trash bag.  Honestly, dh has to get on to his guys about this all the time. It's like they don't even see the trash can in their work area is full.  Just because a cleaning crew comes in doesn't mean you don't take care of things that come up between visits. 

• Like 4

:grouphug:

I know you are very upset by things not being cleaned correctly. I am truly sorry this is so aggravating to you. I would like to offer you a bit different perspective, but I want to preface this by saying I in no way am trying to cause you more stress. I just want to offer a different perspective.

1. The person who used the dry mop was trying to clean up the mess. They didn't just leave it there. They were trying. I would show them some grace.

2. The person cleaning it up may not be used to normal mops. They may be used to a Swiffer mop. They may have simply grabbed the closest thing to what they are used to, not realizing it was not meant for wet clean up (this doesn't mean they are stupid, it means they may have different experiences than you regarding cleaning materials).

3. I would absolutely show grace, try hard to move past this and simply tape a type written instruction to the handle along the lines of what you posted. "Only use this dry mop for dry sweeping, not liquids." so that next time someone tries to clean up a spill they will hopefully use the proper mop.

4. You seem to have some conflicting views on who should have access to the utility room. On the one hand you are mad that people go in there but on the other hand you want them to go in and get what they need when something needs cleaning, such as a spill or an overflowing trash can. You also seem to feel pretty strongly that you don't want anyone shifting anything around or changing how things are organized. In all likelihood the office workers are not aware of how strongly you feel about where things should be, how things should be done, etc. Or what the actual policy is regarding the utility room. Perhaps a clearly written memo on the policy regarding the utility room and the items in it would help both the employees and you to make this a more pleasant situation overall. I would post it on the utility room door. Short but clear, maybe in bulleted form so it is quick to read. I know I do much better with some sort of written memo.

5. I do not think the person trying to clean up is stupid or an idiot. They just don't have the same strong feelings/skills/emphasis in their lives over the nitty gritty of cleaning and probably not the same background in cleaning experiences as you. They tried. They did not do it the way you would have done it and the way they did it caused you to have more work. I understand your frustration. However, I will be honest, I think you are blowing this situation out of proportion to what actually happened. I'm sorry this is so upsetting to you. I hope you can move past it. It is actually a very small blip in the overall scheme of life.

Best wishes

LOL the end of your post made laugh. Really I do know the world has not ended and this is a small thing, I am not THAT upset. I am just a very intense person.

• Like 1

If the trash is overflowing it IS their job empty it. I walked into Starbucks the other day and there was an empty cup in the parking lot beside my car so I grabbed it and tossed it in the trash as I went into the store. It's not my 'job' but it's what you do. So yeah, I think it's reasonable that if trash is overflowing that you empty it into the large bin or if that's not a thing there, get a new trash bag. Honestly, dh has to get on to his guys about this all the time. It's like they don't even see the trash can in their work area is full. Just because a cleaning crew comes in doesn't mean you don't take care of things that come up between visits.

Yes. They clean out files and cram them into a small trash can with the thin bags which

are usually fine for a normal weeks trash. A couple of them always have so much food wrappings and leftover food I have taken to using a big thicker trash bag for them.

A few times they have put a new bag in and left the full bag sitting right next to their trash can at their desk. I mean, no big deal for me but I would have not wanted a full bag of trash sitting by my desk for several days.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

A dust mop actually makes me think of the big, wide flat mops that the janitors used to push around the gym in elementary school. I've used one at our lake clubhouse to clean up after our 4H meetings. They are not the kind of thing usually found in homes, so it doesn't surprise me that people may not know what they are.

Kind of like this, but usually in a lovely dirty white/light brown color. https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Dual-Action-Microfiber-Sweeper-Dust/dp/B00L9RL9SA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514208028&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dust+mop&psc=1

Where I've worked they actually wouldn't want the $50/hour employees to spend much time cleaning. They needed to be dealing with clients and putting in billable hours. I worked with a bunch of PhDs. They often worked 70-80 hours a week. Those of us who were admins would do the cleaning up after meetings and gatherings with food. We did a lot less overtime (and actually got paid for it, rather than be salary).

This made me laugh. I can hear the staff meeting now....,'we pay you way too much money for you to clean up after yourself. If your trash is overflowing don't touch it! Your time is much too valuable! We have lowly cleaning staff for that'.

I wouldn't know, so I might use it for liquid. Honestly I have only heard of dry mopping on these boards. I either mop, sweep or vacuum. Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

I have never heard of a dry mop!   Doesn't "mop" mean it's for wet stuff?  

But I get you.  I clean our church. People do stupid things, for sure. It's not unusual for me to go in and find one or more toilets left unflushed.  There are also worse things but I'll spare y'all the details, fortunately that is less common.

One of the problems there is that people think their kids are capable of using the bathroom alone, but they really are not.  But there is no way to convey that to people because the parents of the offenders are always the ones who think their kids are fine, it's those other barbarians who cause problems.  

ETA: I just read some more posts and saw the pictures of the dust mop.  It would not occur to me that that tool was not for cleaning up wet stuff.  For dry messes, I use a broom or vacuum.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I am not used to using a mop for dusting my floors; I would use a broom from that.  I can easily see how someone who is not used to mopping large amounts of flooring (perhaps where someone has lived predominantly with carpeting), seeing a wet mop as one of those things you use to clean the floor--as in an overall cleaning.  The see it as something you get water in a bucket, swish water and cleaning materials all over the floor, and can't walk on the floor for long periods of time.  In other words, I can see how their immediate response is that a string mop is for heavy cleaning, not for cleaning up a spill.  I can see how they thought getting a mop and mop bucket out would lead to a bigger mess than a spot cleaning with the tool they used would be.  

• Like 5

I do not know what a dust mop is. I've never heard of one? Is it a Swiffer?

I have no idea what a dust mop is either. Here, mops are just for mopping up liquids, or used with soapy water to mop the floor. I'm no stranger to cleaning, but if I saw a mop, I'd use it for wet stuff :) Otherwise, for dry stuff, I'd use a broom. Edited by stutterfish
  • Like 3

Yes. It's obviously designed to be very absorbent (unlike a broom, which isn't), so, I would use it for liquids, or dry matter, or perhaps both. Unless, of course, I had specifically chosen for it *not* to be used for liquids. In that case, I'd make sure everyone knew.

I guess labelling with the designated use, as some have suggested, might help avoid future frustration. :)

Edited by stutterfish
  • Like 3

FYI- men are not the only ones who owe on the bathroom floor. Women do it too especially the hurry hover. They don’t notice it down the side of the toilet, the floor or the seat. So it might not be the men like you think. My favorite when I worked was the lady who could not only hit those places but the back of the toilet and wall.

Yes. It's obviously designed to be very absorbent (unlike a broom, which isn't), so, I would use it for liquids, or dry matter, or perhaps both. Unless, of course, I had specifically chosen for it *not* to be used for liquids. In that case, I'd make sure everyone knew.

I guess labelling with the designated use, as some have suggested, might help avoid future frustration. :)

This is actually what mine looks like. https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Dual-Action-Microfiber-Sweeper-Dust/dp/B00L9RL9SA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514208028&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dust+mop&psc=1

But either way I don't see how it could be wrung out like a mop.

So how would you soak this big wide dust mop and how would you wring it out?

We have a few of those in our house.  The head is removable on ours.  Yes, I've used them for wet messes, dampening the head to get the last of the mess after cleaning with a towel or throwing the whole head in the wash after I'm done with it.

The amount of animosity and name calling for a simple mistake makes me feel very uncomfortable.  Perhaps this is not the best job for you, especially if you see it as more of a favor.

• Like 10

FYI- men are not the only ones who owe on the bathroom floor. Women do it too especially the hurry hover. They don’t notice it down the side of the toilet, the floor or the seat. So it might not be the men like you think. My favorite when I worked was the lady who could not only hit those places but the back of the toilet and wall.

There is a men's room and a women's room.

But yes I am aware women can be gross too.

We have a few of those in our house. The head is removable on ours. Yes, I've used them for wet messes, dampening the head to get the last of the mess after cleaning with a towel or throwing the whole head in the wash after I'm done with it.

The amount of animosity and name calling for a simple mistake makes me feel very uncomfortable. Perhaps this is not the best job for you, especially if you see it as more of a favor.

Well there isn't a washing machine in this office. And it was dripping soaking wet and shoved back into the back of the utility room. So no I don't think it was a simple mistake. There is a utility sink at the entrance of the utility room where a big yellow bucket with the wringing mechanism sits and a huge mop left there to dry after it was rinsed and wrung out.

I don't think it is a mistake when they let trash overflow on to the ground. I think it is laziness and lack of concern for their work environment or for who ever comes along to clean up their messes.

And you are quite correct this is not the job for me but they are going to be evicted soon because of many many similar issues they continue to disregard.

If I didn’t do a lot of cleaning, I might think it was for liquids. It’s not a broom, and it is cloth/strings like a wet mop. I think it’s an honest, but not stupid, mistake.

And I don’t know that there’s an air of “we have lowly cleaning staff for that.†I think it’s more like, “Everyone has a job they’re paid to do.†At my husband’s company, the foremen have their assigned tasks, the laborers have theirs, office assistant has hers, designer has his, boss has his, etc. It’s not that my husband is too good to answer phones or open mail, but more that they pay him to do other things, and if he’s doing the office assistant’s job, he isn’t writing proposals or calling clients or designing buildings, all of which need to get done in order to keep jobs going so that everyone gets paid. I’m sure that most of the people in the office aren’t trying to be rude to you (although they could pee more carefully and not put liquids in the trash cans) but are just trying to focus on the jobs they’re programmed and paid to do.

• Like 19

Honestly, I wouldn't think. As I've never encountered a dry mop I would just use it for wet stuff and then think about the aftermath. Rinse at outside tap?

At an office complex?

You would pass by a traditional mop in a bucket and go grab a thingy you weren't familiar with? That perplexes me.

At an office complex?

You would pass by a traditional mop in a bucket and go grab a thingy you weren't familiar with? That perplexes me.

I would grab a mop and, as cleaning was not my job in that circumstance, wouldn't think too much about which one. In my mind, they are both wet mops because I have seen no other kind.

At our village hall, for reasons of hygiene, there are two sets of cleaning materials, one for the kitchen and one for the toilet. Each is carefully labelled and there is a notice on the wall explaining. As this issue seems important to you, I would label similarly.

You have knowledge and experience that I lack, and vice versa. Acknowledging this, and not assuming that those different from you are stupid, would go a long way to reducing your levels of irritation.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 20

Honestly, I wouldn't think. As I've never encountered a dry mop I would just use it for wet stuff and then think about the aftermath. Rinse at outside tap?

If I didn't recognize them or if I didn't see an alternative because everyone is right, they are made of somewhat absorbent materials, (like thick microfiber more than a sponge though), I would probably use it, rinse it in the tub and then leave it there to dry.  That's what I do with my mop since it's mostly used in the bathroom.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2

Having now seen the dust mop in question I have to say I absolutely understand why someone might grab that to mop a spill. Frankly it looks like it could be meant for either dry or wet. And once they had made the mistake they then probably were not sure what to do about it. I doubt they realized the head could be detached. I can guarantee that several of my younger extended family members and possibly even DH might have made that mistake.

• Like 6

I wouldn’t be sure. I’ve never owned or used a dust mop so I would think that maybe it absorbs liquids and you can take it off and wash it.

• Like 1

I would grab a mop and, as cleaning was not my job in that circumstance, wouldn't think too much about which one. In my mind, they are both wet mops because I have seen no other kind.

At our village hall, for reasons of hygiene, there are two sets of cleaning materials, one for the kitchen and one for the toilet. Each is carefully labelled and there is a notice on the wall explaining. As this issue seems important to you, I would label similarly.

You have knowledge and experience that I lack, and vice versa. Acknowledging this, and not assuming that those different from you are stupid, would go a long way to reducing your levels of irritation.

I can not like this enough!  You are being very gracious and kind with your responses. 

• Like 9

If I didn't recognize them or if I didn't see an alternative because everyone is right, they are made of somewhat absorbent materials, (like thick microfiber more than a sponge though), I would probably use it, rinse it in the tub and then leave it there to dry. That's what I do with my mop since it's mostly used in the bathroom.

Unzipping it and rinsing and wringing it out would have been nice.

Having now seen the dust mop in question I have to say I absolutely understand why someone might grab that to mop a spill. Frankly it looks like it could be meant for either dry or wet. And once they had made the mistake they then probably were not sure what to do about it. I doubt they realized the head could be detached. I can guarantee that several of my younger extended family members and possibly even DH might have made that mistake.

It has a zipper on top. It is pretty clear how it is removed. And they could have left it in the utility sink instead of shoved in the back of the closet

It has a zipper on top. It is pretty clear how it is removed. And they could have left it in the utility sink instead of shoved in the back of the closet

I have edited my post.  This post came off poorly and I apologize.  I was tired and frustrated and posted without rereading to make sure I was saying what I meant to say.

I am sorry for my poorly chosen words.

Best wishes.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 9

Scarlett, truly I am sorry you are so irritated about this but I am bowing out.  You aren't going to understand another way of processing how to clean. It just isn't in your DNA.  If it isn't done your way then the person doing it is stupid and idiotic and lazy.  That is your reality and nothing anyone says will ever shift that point of view.  Honestly, that makes me kind of sad.  For you and for anyone not following in your cleanliness footsteps.  I hope your time at this office improves, regardless.

Best wishes.

Oh good grief.  I never said only my way of cleaning is correct.  Surely everyone would think it thoughtless/lazy/ (insert whatever word makes you feel warm and cozy....) to leave a soaking-in- a puddle mop (whether intended for wet or dry) after cleaning up a spill. 

I somehow bring out the people here who find it their life's mission to chastise my every post.  

Honestly, if I received an email from my cleaning person complaining about cleaning, I would find a new cleaning person.

Well they don't have that option.  But seriously?  You would fire the cleaning person if they requested you not use the dry mop for wet spills?  

Well they don't have that option.  But seriously?  You would fire the cleaning person if they requested you not use the dry mop for wet spills?  

I don't think I would call for firing a person. But it would create ill will.  Think about it - several people, myself included, never heard of a dry mop, and some said they would have used the dry mop for cleaning up a wet spill.  So it's not universally recognized as a tool used only for dry sweeping. 

As for  leaving it in the closet, that's bad, but I can imagine people who have no responsibility for cleaning and thus may not know where stuff is, what stuff is used for various tasks, etc, simply not knowing what was the best thing to do with it. So maybe they did the best they could, thinking that the real cleaning person would have no problem with it. OK, maybe that's a stretch, but people can be clueless without being malicious.   Or, maybe they wanted to hide it, who knows?

I would just label tools, products, etc., and maybe send out a memo, or put something up on a bulletin board (if such exists), letting people know where to find cleaning tools they might need in the event of an unexpected mess happening when the cleaning person is not around. 

I don't think I would call for firing a person. But it would create ill will.  Think about it - several people, myself included, never heard of a dry mop, and some said they would have used the dry mop for cleaning up a wet spill.  So it's not universally recognized as a tool used only for dry sweeping. 

As for  leaving it in the closet, that's bad, but I can imagine people who have no responsibility for cleaning and thus may not know where stuff is, what stuff is used for various tasks, etc, simply not knowing what was the best thing to do with it. So maybe they did the best they could, thinking that the real cleaning person would have no problem with it. OK, maybe that's a stretch, but people can be clueless without being malicious.   Or, maybe they wanted to hide it, who knows?

I would just label tools, products, etc., and maybe send out a memo, or put something up on a bulletin board (if such exists), letting people know where to find cleaning tools they might need in the event of an unexpected mess happening when the cleaning person is not around. 

I certainly have learned that many people don't know what a dust mop is.  Which is even more reason to leave them a note which is what I  intended to do anyway.  

Well they don't have that option. But seriously? You would fire the cleaning person if they requested you not use the dry mop for wet spills?

I wouldn't fire someone in those circumstances. However I might check the job description.

I am a university administrator. Last week an academic failed to produce exam papers in good time (university deadline, not mine) and then failed to pick up papers for marking. I ran around fighting the fires that this caused.

It's my job to clear up those messes. People aren't perfect, they do things wrong. They have family crises at inconvenient times. They lose focus and make mistakes. It doesn't mean they are stupid. And it's my job to sort things out.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 10