Menu

Small SUV recommendation for DD (she was in a fender bender)

sheryl

Yesterday DD left her math class at a Homeschool bookstore where they hold classes.  She was driving in heavy line of traffic - this road "can" be congested at times.

She's been driving for 3 1/2 years when she first earned her permit.  Driving solo for 18 months and she really is a good driver.  Thankfully due to heavy traffic everyone was crawling along so the speed was slower when impact occurred. 

MOST IMPORTANLTY she and the other girl driver are good!  DD inherited my Dad's 2006 Saturn Vue 2 years ago when he passed away.  We spent money on it (new tires, brakes) and it was a good fit for her. Due to the age of the vehicle only the police officer said the car is totaled.  There isn't that much damage but it's older and not worth fixing in his opinion. 

We will get dd another small suv.  Pre-owned.  5K maybe. 

Where is the best place to get the best deal for your buck?  And, what vehicle would you recommend?  Safety, comfort, ratings, etc?

Purely anecdotal, but we've had great luck with Hyndai Sante Fe.  We are on our second one, and my dad has one.  Current one (2004) has 249K miles and has never been in the shop outside of normal service, never left me on the road EVER.  They are noisy though.

• Like 2

Yesterday DD left her math class at a Homeschool bookstore where they hold classes.  She was driving in heavy line of traffic - this road "can" be congested at times.

She's been driving for 3 1/2 years when she first earned her permit.  Driving solo for 18 months and she really is a good driver.  Thankfully due to heavy traffic everyone was crawling along so the speed was slower when impact occurred. 

MOST IMPORTANLTY she and the other girl driver are good!  DD inherited my Dad's 2006 Saturn Vue 2 years ago when he passed away.  We spent money on it (new tires, brakes) and it was a good fit for her. Due to the age of the vehicle only the police officer said the car is totaled.  There isn't that much damage but it's older and not worth fixing in his opinion. 

We will get dd another small suv.  Pre-owned.  5K maybe. 

Where is the best place to get the best deal for your buck?  And, what vehicle would you recommend?  Safety, comfort, ratings, etc?

I think it is strange the police officer told you it is totaled.   :confused1: 

I am glad she is ok.  

• Like 2

I agree with the others that it's the insurance company's decision to make regarding whether a vehicle is totaled or not. The officer was likely just giving you his opinion (although I don't doubt that he's correct).

We've been very happy with both of our Honda CRV's. The one DS22 drives is a 2001 and has about 230,000 miles on it. We've never had to do anything other than routine type maintenance stuff. Mine is a 2014 and my favorite vehicle ever (and that's saying a lot, as I've been lucky to have had several very good cars over the years). They do hold their value very well, though, so for $5k you'd have to be willing to get one that's quite a few years old already.

• Like 4

My daughter has a Chevy Equinox.  When her first one was about a year old she was t-boned at a high rate of speed.  The SUV was totaled but she walked away without a scratch.   The EMTs and police on the scene could not believe it and my husband said you could tell they were very thankful they were not making 'that call' that afternoon.    We bought her another one just like it.   

• Like 2

insurance companies base a car being totaled on how much the car in good condition is worth - compared to how much it would cost to fix it.  if it costs more than it's worth - it's totaled.   you can still take the payout, fix the most important things and have a drive able car.  it would be listed as "salvaged" on the title..

we did that with my mother - before we finally took the car away.   car ran great - just had lots of dents.

police officers investigating crashes have been around quite a few, and while not official, can generally have an idea of how much it will cost to fix.   just like the x-ray tech in the hospital commented to me "it looks like pneumonia". - he was a tech, wasn't really supposed to have said anything - but had been around long enough to be able to read at least some x-rays.

• Like 1

Thanks. Liz, it was dd's fault...bless her heart. I'm so thankful traffic was moving slowly and on a city street...not highway.

True, the insurance company makes the call.I think he was just giving his opinion. But, everyone said insurance will total it b/c it's not worth fixing a 2006 and now that it's been involved in a fender bender.

The SUVs mentioned (Honda crv and Chevy Equinox) ...are those on a car or truck chassis? I know dd needs one that will "handle" like what she's driven (Saturn Vue).

Other suggestions? Thanks!

2006 doesn’t sound that old to me...

Agreed. One of mine drives a 2001 Camry; the other drives a 2005 Accord. The Camry was rear-ended a couple of years ago, and we fixed it. The Accord is going to be replaced within the next few months, but the Camry is still going strong. I would try very hard to keep the Vue versus most of what is out there in the $5K range.

• Like 1

Thanks. Liz, it was dd's fault...bless her heart. I'm so thankful traffic was moving slowly and on a city street...not highway.

True, the insurance company makes the call.I think he was just giving his opinion. But, everyone said insurance will total it b/c it's not worth fixing a 2006 and now that it's been involved in a fender bender.

The SUVs mentioned (Honda crv and Chevy Equinox) ...are those on a car or truck chassis? I know dd needs one that will "handle" like what she's driven (Saturn Vue).

Other suggestions? Thanks!

I drive an Equinox. They are extremely safe and easy to drive. Parked next to my husband's Altima, they are roughly the same length. Chevy has a smaller suv, the Trax. I needed the legroom in the back for my boys long legs.

• Like 1

Well, this is interesting. I'll keep you posted on what happens. We put new brakes, 4 new tires and this and that to spruce this vehicle up. Maybe insurance will suggest to fix it. Will let y'all know.

She would prefer to keep this a bit longer and affectionately calls her car Bob after my Dad, her Grandpa!!! Cute.