Menu

Minivans: New Toyota Sienna 2018, Honda Odyssey 2018, and Chrysler Pacifica

umsami

Does anybody own any of these models?

Opinions??

We have a 10+ year old Honda Odyssey who is dying fast.  I just paid $1800 in repairs, and the repair guy said it would take another $5500 to fix everything critical (that's not everything that needs to be done, just the critical stuff).  It's coming to the point where it makes more sense to put that towards car payments.

So hopefully, within the next 3-6 months, we're going to bite the bullet and buy a new Minivan.  Pretty sure it has to be a minivan due to family size/lifestyle.  

FWIW, I have a 14 year old, 12 year old, 10 year old, 7 year old, and family dog who travel together regularly.

The Sienna drives well in the snow and ice.  I live in Atlanta, so it didn't get a ton of practice, but during the occasional snow or ice storm, I would just put it in low gear and trudge up hills that pick-up trucks were sliding down.  I drove my Toyota Venza in pretty good snow last weekend, and it also performed really well.

I loved my Sienna and, thanks to several good experiences with Toyotas (one of my kids drives a 2001 Camry that has never had a major repair; maybe not any repair other than wear items), now make them my first choice in any car category.  We have an Accord that is nearly as old as the Camry, but it has had several issues the Camry never has.

• Like 1

The Sienna drives well in the snow and ice.  I live in Atlanta, so it didn't get a ton of practice, but during the occasional snow or ice storm, I would just put it in low gear and trudge up hills that pick-up trucks were sliding down.  I drove my Toyota Venza in pretty good snow last weekend, and it also performed really well.

I loved my Sienna and, thanks to several good experiences with Toyotas (one of my kids drives a 2001 Camry that has never had a major repair; maybe not any repair other than wear items), now make them my first choice in any car category.  We have an Accord that is nearly as old as the Camry, but it has had several issues the Camry never has.

interesting.

we have camry's.love them.  i'm looking at a highlander or pilot,but i prefer toyota.

dsil prefers honda

op, i thought the pacifica was a crossover suv.

• Like 1

My parents bought their first Toyota when I was 4 or 5 and that's all they owned when I grew up.  I had a Toyota when I moved out.  I fully expected to be a Toyota owner for life.  But we have bought 2 different minivans and both times after doing the test drives (and having me sit in the back to check comfort level), it came down to, the Odyssey drove better and was significantly more comfortable for an adult passenger in the back than the Toyota.  The second round of purchases we even took the 6 kids out for test rides in each and ask them individually (out of hearing of siblings so no one could influence another) which they preferred.  We had 5 votes for the Odyssey (youngest was only 2 so didn't get a vote).  I live in the North and can attest to it handles well in snow and ice too.  

• Like 3

With 4 kids I am surprised you don't look at something bigger. I have a 10 year old odyssey as well and my next van (I foster up to 2 kids and have 2 bios) will be a Nissan NV. I want the room so when we go on family trips we have room. I felt too tight in the Odyssey for a recent trip to Florida and that was with only 3 kids. I also like the towing abilities. However there are other vans out there that don't have the towing that might work for you as well.

No other advice but just thought I would give you food for thought. Sorry you are having trouble with your van. We are nowhere near that with our van. It has been great for us. 

• Like 1

I’m in the “fix it till it’s unfixable†camp. Even expensive repairs are usually less per year than a payment plus insurance on a newer vehicle. Then when you get a newer vehicle later, you’ve bought more longevity on THAT one by delaying its purchase.

Procrastineering!

• Like 2

Personal health issues and four kids forced me to consider a minivan when I'd sworn in my youth I would never drive one. I tested all three and ended up with a Pacifica. Chrysler was running some excellent deals for the 2017 models. My thoughts:

• Honda Odyssey - tops in this category with tons of amenities, a nice ride, and a thoughtful layout. The price reflects this.
  • Toyota Sienna - a good minivan, but nothing special
  • Chrysler Pacifica - a good minivan with more amenities and upgrades than the Sienna, but not as good as the Odyssey. I was able to get a good price because I bought one of the last 2017 models. I've had it for several months and I love it. No regrets.

ETA: The Pacifica is based on the old Town and Country minivan. Chrysler retired the T&C name and branded the minivan with the old crossover name Pacifica. It's confusing and a terrible marketing decision, but I think the new Pacifica rivals the old T&C vans in quality.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

I’m in the “fix it till it’s unfixable†camp. Even expensive repairs are usually less per year than a payment plus insurance on a newer vehicle. Then when you get a newer vehicle later, you’ve bought more longevity on THAT one by delaying its purchase.

Procrastineering!

depending upon the repair, when it hits, etc. - it can also be extremely inconvenient as suddenly you have no working car that will fit everyone.

• Like 2

Procrastineering!

That's been my philosophy, but right now I'm driving 2 hours each way a few times per week, and I really can't afford a break down in the middle of nowhere.  So that is pushing this purchase.  She's making lots of weird noises and it's making me nervous.   We've had zero issues up until now, though....so I'm definitely a Honda fan.

• Like 1

When we had to replace our Odyssey we went with Kia.

I was disappointed in the constant repairs we need with the Odyssey. I guess we might have had a bad year, and we did keep it for a really long time, so we got our money worth. I think. I won't figure it to make sure though. We replaced the transmission on the Odyssey alone multiple times. I won't buy another. 

• Like 1

We had a 2000 Honda Odyssey when, 5 years ago, we decided we needed a conversion van to fit our dd's wheelchair (she was getting too big for me to transfer her easily and getting the chair into the back of the van was just as hard--they were both about 75 lbs). Anyway, we knew people in town who had a Sienna conversion van. We rented a Sienna when on vacation and it just depressed me to think I would have to give up my Odyssey for that. The interior felt so cheap (granted rental cars are probably the lowest model). Then we found a place that had Honda Odyssey conversion vans and I was so happy to be able to stay with Honda. We decided to keep our 2000 model too, so we're a 2-Odyssey family. Both cars are great with no problems.

I know families that are die-hard Sienna fans and others that are die-hard Odyssey fans. You'll just have to try both and see what you like better.

• Like 3

I had a 2003 Odyssey that had transmission issues and died at 105K miles. They're on my personal never again list.

We're renting a Pacifica right now on vacation. We really like it. Dh who is minivan resistant even said he'd buy one if the warranty is good when our Hyundai Veracruz dies in a few years. That's like winning the JD Powers award in my book.

• Like 1

Do you really trust this mechanic? Have you gotten a second opinion? We had someone tell us once that we needed a new engine when the real fix was maybe $200.

Sadly, I've had three opinions...and they're pretty consistent.    She's been a wonderful car, so I'll be sad to see her go.  

• Like 1

Do you really trust this mechanic? Have you gotten a second opinion? We had someone tell us once that we needed a new engine when the real fix was maybe $200.

we had to buy a new car for 1ds on the fly.  (I hate buying cars on the fly.) 

I found one- belonged to the seller's deceased grandparents.  the mechanic told him it needed an expensive repair, that he coudn't afford. so, he knocked that much off the kbb price.    dh drove it, didn't think there was actually anything wrong with it, bought it and took it to our mechanic.  it needed it's major mileage routine service.  the seller's mechanic was looking to make money to "repair" a part the car didn't even have.

Umsami - when three mechanics agree, and things are breaking and it's making you nervous - it's time to listen to the mom-gut and replace it.

My mom drives an Odyssey.  I drive a Sienna.  They are both excellent vans.  Either will be a good choice.  They last a long time usually.  I will say that with the redesign of the Sienna for 2017 the Sienna is VERY roomy.  DH equates it to the Tardis.  Bigger on the inside.  LOL.  If your current vehicle can hang on another year, usually there are some great deals around Thanksgiving/Christmas with the dealerships trying to unload the previous year's model.  

If you need AWD get the Sienna. We love them!

I’ve also owned the Nissan NV but I don’t recommend it unless you really need the extra space ( at that time we had 5 kids, one in a wheelchair and were going to put in a lift). It’s a very nice 12 passenger van but pricey, terrible in the snow (needed studded snow tires), and a major gas guzzler. The space was great but too costly if you don’t really need it.

Edited by Hilltopmom