Menu

Need recipe ideas to use up winter CSA produce

skimomma

I have a winter CSA share.  Due to travel, I have very large quantities of some vegetables that I need to make into something very soon as I have 100 more pounds coming in a week!  Help me with some ideas.  Things that can be frozen would be especially welcome.  I would love to double or triple recipes to stock the freezer.  We are vegetarian.  We love cheese.

Cabbage:

I have 10 heads of cabbage with more coming in a week.  I have made enough sauerkraut to last us many months.  I have also recently made cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, coleslaw, and stir-fried cabbage-and-red-beans.  If I serve any of these things again soon my family is going to revolt.  Any ideas?  A casserole-type dish would be nice.

Celeriac:

I have 8 of these.  They are less pressing than the cabbage as they take up less room in the fridge.  But any dent I can make would be great.  So far, I have used most as filling for pasties and roasted up in a mix of other root veggies.  They make a nice addition to many soups (in place of celery) so that is another way I am whittling them down.  Other ideas?

Beets:

I cannot even get far enough into the fridge to assess how many of these we have, but I know it is a daunting amount.  I also roast these up in a veggie mix and have recently made borscht and shredded them into a slaw-type salad.  I also have a bunch fermented.  Any other ideas?

Winter Radishes:

These are the worst.  They are the rare food that my family does not like.  I have fermented a bunch of them, which everyone likes, but I have enough to last longer than they will likely keep.  I have thrown them in the roast veggie mix and tried to sneak them into quiche and soups, but the family is getting savvy and starting to pick apart their food to try to evict them.  Any magic ideas that make these foul things not taste to foul?

I have made a sausage casserole with cabbage, from allrecipes. It would turn up with ingredient search.

I like it but my family just picks out the sausage and doesn't eat the cabbage. I am the only one who likes cabbage so I don't make it too often.

I have made a soup with a tomato broth base and ground beef, with cabbage, served with sour cream and cheese, and it is more popular.

• Like 1

I wonder if you could shred beeets & cabbage and put them together into something? Or is that too similar to having them each like that, but not combined...? 

You've listed all the vegetarian things I can think of that I normally do with these foods, so I'm at a loss. Will they freeze if uncooked or just lightly blanched, and you can then use them in recipes later? Shredded or chopped/diced, blanched, then frozen as an ingredient to add to things...? Or will that not work, or not solve your storage problem? 

• Like 1

We make a recipe called bierocks and it's basically cabbage, onions and hamburger fried together and baked in bread dough.  Lentils could easily be substituted for the hamburger.  Otherwise I'm kind of at a loss because none of those are things we use in mass quantities.  I buy onions and potatoes 50-100 pounds at a time but that much cabbage would just completely overwhelm me.  Are next weeks 100 pounds more of the same or will it be something different?

• Like 2

Lazy cabbage roll casserole might work for the cabbage if it's not too similar. You could also try some different coleslaws. The mayo based ones get pretty gross if you eat too much. I like to shred cabbage, add a heap of shredded apples, some raisins and then a splash of vinegar and some salt. We eat this a lot. I also like to dress coleslaw with an oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, salt dressing.

For the beets, I'd roast or pickle them. Once they were pickled you could can them. Maybe I'd make borscht given the other veggies that you need to work with.

The white radishes are one of my favourites. I use them a bit like onions. I like to grate them into every soup that I add onions to. They're also really nice roasted, imo. I also grate them into coleslaw (not the apple one mentioned above). They also last for eons in the fridge.

I have no ideas for the celeriac. I've never tried it before.

• Like 1

Cabbage - egg rolls and halupkis freeze well.  Boiled cabbage or pickled cabbage as a side dish.  Stir fry with various combinations of other vegetables in Chinese inspired sauces.  You could chop and freeze some for adding to vegetable, minestrone, or hot and sour cabbage soup.  

Beets - slice or julienne, cook and serve as a side dish.   Can some for use in later months.

Have you considered contacting your local food pantry to see it they would be interested in the vegetables your family doesn't like. 

• Like 3

We make a recipe called bierocks and it's basically cabbage, onions and hamburger fried together and baked in bread dough.  Lentils could easily be substituted for the hamburger.  Otherwise I'm kind of at a loss because none of those are things we use in mass quantities.  I buy onions and potatoes 50-100 pounds at a time but that much cabbage would just completely overwhelm me.  Are next weeks 100 pounds more of the same or will it be something different?

I was thinking something like this.  I have made cabbage bread rolls before that were pretty good.  Adding some sort of protein and maybe cheese would make them heartier.  Should freeze well too.

Yes, the 100 new pounds are likely to be the same items.  Luckily, it is the last share of the year!

Have you considered contacting your local food pantry to see it they would be interested in the vegetables your family doesn't like. 

Our local pantries don't take fresh produce.  And I'm guessing most people using pantries would find winter radishes and celeriac difficult to deal with.  I have unloaded as much as I could on friends though.  They took all of the "good stuff" like brussels sprouts and spaghetti squash.

I have 10 heads of cabbage with more coming in a week. I have made enough sauerkraut to last us many months. I have also recently made cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, coleslaw, and stir-fried cabbage-and-red-beans. If I serve any of these things again soon my family is going to revolt.  Any ideas?  A casserole-type dish would be nice.

If you have a cool pantry or basement, you can store your cabbage there and take it out of the fridge.

I like to cook cabbage with apples and potatoes (and sausage sometimes, but I don't know how you feel about veggie sausages). I can do this in a skillet or in the oven. Just add salt and pepper to taste, and optional: celery, onions, garlic, vinegar, fennel, parsley. Sometimes I've cooked it with tarragon or thyme as well.

I shred cabbage sometimes and use it in my tacos instead of lettuce, or instead of rice/tortillas with the same taco fillings in a bowl.

Celeriac: Other ideas?

I leave it behind for CityHarvest to take, LOL!

I cannot even get far enough into the fridge to assess how many of these we have, but I know it is a daunting amount.  I also roast these up in a veggie mix and have recently made borscht and shredded them into a slaw-type salad.  I also have a bunch fermented.  Any other ideas?

Glaze with a bit of orange juice and honey and/or ginger.

Steam, add dill and lemon.

Make salad, any style, grate a beet and a carrot on top.

Make a pureed beet dip.

Winter Radishes:

Doesn't your CSA have a swap box or bring leftovers to the food bank? If that fails, try freecycle or craigslist.

And I'm guessing most people using pantries would find winter radishes and celeriac difficult to deal with.

You would be surprised. There are vegetarians using the food bank. There are people from various ethnicities using the food bank, who might be more familiar with foods you find novel. There are foodies using the food bank.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

I’d see if you can find someone or several someones to swap with! Your friends, your church, your neighborhood facebook group - all possible sources of people who might be interested in trading. Worst case scenario - donate to your local food bank or homeless shelter with a kitchen.

Anne

• Like 1

If you have a cool pantry or basement, you can store your cabbage there and take it out of the fridge.

Doesn't your CSA have a swap box or bring leftovers to the food bank? If that fails, try freecycle or craigslist.

You would be surprised. There are vegetarians using the food bank. There are people from various ethnicities using the food bank, who might be more familiar with foods you find novel. There are foodies using the food bank.

I wish my basement were suitable for root cellar activity, but it is not.  I also garden so am dealing with my own storage veggies too.

Our CSA does not have a swap box.  And while we are waiting in line, there is much discussion about our shares and what people struggle to use up.  We all seem to be on the same page.  I think my family might be the only one that actually uses all of it.  I have lots of practice.  We were doing fine until we got tripped up with travel.

The food pantry won't take fresh produce.  But What I have offloaded was to friends and people on our local FB group.  I don't find the foods novel.  I have the opposite problem.....we have just had too much of the same things.  Our CSA farm is going out of business and this is their last season.  It is VERY obvious that they kind of quit caring.  We always got much more variety in more manageable quantities in past years.  This year, whole categories have not shown up and instead we get 8 cabbages or 10 pounds of winter radishes.  I can deal with a handful of winter radishes.  10 pounds, not so much.

We like shredded cabbage salad with ginger-carrot dressing (like Japanese steakhouse dressing). I also like it in hot and sour soup.

I would cook and puree a lot of the root vegetables, just to get them in the freezer, then at a later date use them as dips, spreads, regular mashed veggies, etc.

Sometimes when I have leftover roast veggies I mash them and use it as phyllo triangle filling. Beets with a little ground coriander and sauteed onion are especially yummy this way.

A local restaurant roasts radishes and serves them cold on a pickle platter with Green Goddess dressing. It really takes the bite out of them and leaves an interesting slightly spicy flavor. Maybe your family would like to try them this way?

• Like 1

I just remembered, the last time I was pregnant I ate beet salad every day for months on end. The beets were boiled, chilled, and cubed, then tossed with feta and red wine vinegar.

If you can get a hold on a Russian or Eastern European cook book, they have a lot of interesting ways to eat beets. DH once made beet walnut sauce. I found several recipes by googling, but they seemed a lot more tame than the one we made, which had copious amounts of raw onion.

• Like 1

If your family will eat fermented food, you can try Russian/Ukranian "pickled" cabbage. This is a very healthy dish, loaded with vitamin C, and low in calories. Once it is ready, you can just mix with a little chopped onion and olive oil for a simple side salad. There are many recipes that use it, too - soups, etc. You can scale up the recipe to make a large batch (once you make sure your family will eat it). Oh and - do not use salt with added iodine. Kosher salt is good.

Here is a basic one, complete with photo instructions:

https://natashaskitchen.com/2013/09/29/homemade-sauerkraut-recipe-kvashenaya-kapusta/

Here is a recipe that uses the fermented stuff. You can skip the meat and use other veggies like potatoes, diced, or just make the recipe as written but without meat. It will just be lighter.

https://natashaskitchen.com/2012/05/28/braised-cabbage-with-beef/

Here is a different version with no meat. It can be made with fresh cabbage or the pickled stuff.

https://natashaskitchen.com/2011/01/19/russian-stewed-cabbage-%D1%82%D1%83%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%83%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0/

ETA

Here are some beet recipes:

https://natashaskitchen.com/?s=beet

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 1

Cabbage and beets? Send them over here! Celeriac and radishes? Compost  :ack2:

I was going to suggest the beet salad with feta too, though my recipe calls for warm beets.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/149559/roasted-beets-with-feta/

Or these:

https://www.marthastewart.com/873232/roasted-beets-orange-and-thyme

http://www.wholeliving.com/182942/roasted-beet-and-hummus-sandwich

For cabbage, this is one of the few ways I can get the kids to eat cabbage:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/247300/addictive-asian-beef-slaw-crack-slaw/

You could probably make it with soy curls or crumbles, but I have also made it vegan and it is still delicious. The keys are good sesame oil (we use toasted sesame, holy moly!), the ginger, and some soy sauce or liquid aminos. I could probably knock out two cabbages that way. It's a very forgiving recipe too. I use all green cabbage, more peppers, I grate the carrots, add some veggies, skip some veggies... So easy.

Or: 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220537/fabulous-colcannon-mashed-potatoes-and-cabbage/

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/cabbage-and-cheddar-gratin

Sorry I can't help with the celeriac or radishes!

I have a winter CSA share.  Due to travel, I have very large quantities of some vegetables that I need to make into something very soon as I have 100 more pounds coming in a week!  Help me with some ideas.  Things that can be frozen would be especially welcome.  I would love to double or triple recipes to stock the freezer.  We are vegetarian.  We love cheese.

Cabbage:

I have 10 heads of cabbage with more coming in a week.  I have made enough sauerkraut to last us many months.  I have also recently made cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, coleslaw, and stir-fried cabbage-and-red-beans.  If I serve any of these things again soon my family is going to revolt.  Any ideas?  A casserole-type dish would be nice.

Celeriac:

I have 8 of these.  They are less pressing than the cabbage as they take up less room in the fridge.  But any dent I can make would be great.  So far, I have used most as filling for pasties and roasted up in a mix of other root veggies.  They make a nice addition to many soups (in place of celery) so that is another way I am whittling them down.  Other ideas?

Beets:

Winter Radishes:

These are the worst.  They are the rare food that my family does not like.  I have fermented a bunch of them, which everyone likes, but I have enough to last longer than they will likely keep.  I have thrown them in the roast veggie mix and tried to sneak them into quiche and soups, but the family is getting savvy and starting to pick apart their food to try to evict them.  Any magic ideas that make these foul things not taste to foul?

I have a few ideas - I had a winter veg share a few years ago myself!

One that can use a lot of different veg is a winter salad.  I grate most root veg into it, depending what I have.  Beets and carrots add sweetness, but celeriac is good too, and I used the winter radishes though in smaller amounts.  You can add kale or cabbage too,  bit of onion, or even seeds and dried fruit.  Just toss in any kid of dressing you like, but it can handle a pretty assertive one.

You can also grate a lot of winter veg and use them with grated potato, sweet potato, or squash to make little latkes.

Cabbage with apple: In a deep pan, melt some butter and oil, add cider vinegar and a little sugar.  Toss shredded cabbage in this mixture with salt and pepper.  Ad some apple chunks and cook, covered, on low heat about an hour.  You can add some liquid if necessary, either cider, or water, or even some wine.  At the end, add a bit of wine, cider, or vermouth to taste, ad correct your seasonings.

Copenhagen cabbage casserole :  Fry one chopped onions and 1 lb ground beef or pork in a pan.  When browned, mix in about 8oz tomato sauce and 1/2 cup beef broth, and salt, pepper, and ground clove and cinnamon, to taste.  

In an uncreased casserole dish, layer about 1 1/2 cup shredded cabbage, and half the beef mixture.  Repeat.Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes.  I usually serve with egg noodles and some carrots (or winter salad with beets and carrots.)

Three B casserole:  Peel some beets, and place in casserole dish.  Brown stew beef and onions, and then add them as well.  Add about half a bottle of beer (the original recipe calls for a bitter but I've tried lots of different things) and drink the other half.  Add a few tablespoons of horseradish sauce - judge based on your preference and how hot the sauce is - and salt and pepper. Cook on a lowish heat (maybe 325F) for an hour or so - whenever the beets are tender.  It is best served with very garlicy mashed potatoes and some green veg.

Beets are also nice in soup, roasted in a pan with garlic cloves and onion chunks - roast with skin on and remove it after, you can also serve this at room temp with a bit of cider vinegar and maybe a drop of honey - or use it to make hash with leftovers, if you also use mashed potatoes they will turn a great colour.

Is a winter radish similar to daikon? I love daikon, but I’m asian. It’s a very common vegetable in Far East Asian foods. There’s a Korean soup that just uses daikon and beef with seasonings. If you have Asian friends, they mike like to get some.

Edited by solascriptura