Menu

what kind of bag (purse) do I want?

teachermom2834

I am tired of carrying a purse. (I find that in my mid forties I am deciding there are lots of things I am tired of. Lol).

I want something across the body or one of those sling backpack things. Needs to be big enough for a wallet, phone, sunglasses, a water bottle and a bag of trail mix. I guess also some tampons, a compact, and lip gloss. My dd always has a book with her so it is nice if it could also hold a paperback. I don't carry a tablet or anything like that. I always lose my keys so a dedicated pocket helps with that.

I like the looks of the Kavu bags but what kind do I want? What size? I hate shopping and plan to send dh a link for a Christmas gift idea.

My style is definitely homeschool mom but pulled together. (Hopefully!) My uniform is basically jeans with a button down or nice tee with a cardigan or casual jacket and Mary Janes or clogs. So I want a practical bag but still something that looks cute.

Ideas?

Vera Bradley has a good selection of crossbody bags. The "hipster" would hold all of the items you mentioned, plus a paperback book (not sure about the water bottle you mentioned). The good thing about Vera Bradley bags is that they have lots of pockets.

https://www.verabradley.com/us/browse/bags/crossbody-bags-3333500383?No=0&Nr=Site_ID%3AVBUS&Nrpp=233&ViewAll=true&VBNt=__1

If you're not picky about patterns, you can find good deals on eBay. Also, if you have an outlet store near you, they often run sales where the entire store is 50% off (plus an extra 20% off). 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

A word to the wise on the Vera Bradley crossbody bags:  Pay attention to what the strap is made of.  Mine is not the nice quilted fabric, mine is more of a tough almost seat-belt-esque fabric, and it rubbed my neck so bad that I stopped using the bag.  So pay attention to the strap before you order.  If it's a solid color, steer clear, as that seems to be the yucky material.

I have no advice for you, because I'm in the exact same place. I can tell you that I want to carry roughly the same amount of stuff as you, and the VB Hipsters would not be large enough for my needs (I tested them out). 

What I really am thinking I need is a somewhat compact  (but still big enough for my Macbook should I need to bring it), messenger-bag-like, structured (not loose and floppy), cross-body tote that can close with something small like a magnetic button (but that doesn't have that huge messenger bag flap). And it has to be cute. And not $250. 

Is this so much to ask for?!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/KAVU-Womens-Sling-Backpack-Taffy/dp/B01N1XH88J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509657494&sr=8-1&keywords=kavu+bags

These Kavu bags with the rope handles are very popular where I live right now (sort of an outdoorsy place).  Teens and moms are all carrying them.  I want one, but I would have a really hard time deciding which pattern to buy!  My two college girls each have one - one has a plain color one (more grown up looking, I think) has a blue with little animals all over it (totally cute and fun)

They hold a lot - plenty of room for a book and a water bottle (though no water bottle pocket) - and stay in place across your back.  Very cute and fun!

• Like 3

https://www.amazon.com/KAVU-Womens-Sling-Backpack-Taffy/dp/B01N1XH88J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509657494&sr=8-1&keywords=kavu+bags

These Kavu bags with the rope handles are very popular where I live right now (sort of an outdoorsy place).  Teens and moms are all carrying them.  I want one, but I would have a really hard time deciding which pattern to buy!  My two college girls each have one - one has a plain color one (more grown up looking, I think) has a blue with little animals all over it (totally cute and fun)

They hold a lot - plenty of room for a book and a water bottle (though no water bottle pocket) - and stay in place across your back.  Very cute and fun!

Well shoot! I was looking at the different patterns and absolutely feel in love with one and was about to put it in my cart when I saw the price. It was $40 more than most of the others. Is there hidden gold in those ropes? So disappointed. I really did love that pattern.

Well shoot! I was looking at the different patterns and absolutely feel in love with one and was about to put it in my cart when I saw the price. It was $40 more than most of the others. Is there hidden gold in those ropes? So disappointed. I really did love that pattern.

Ouch!  That is so sad!!  I'm sorry I let you down!

Ouch!  That is so sad!!  I'm sorry I let you down!

Bah, you didn't let me down. Blankety blank Amazon did. I was so excited to get something so cute to carry and then I glance at the price. *You* had a great idea, *Amazon* failed in the execution of it. Pooh. I'm going to keep my eye on it though and hope to find it on sale one day. Thank you for the cute suggestion.

I recently bought this bag: https://www.target.com/p/j-world-nell-messenger---black/-/A-51374956

I wanted something I could wear cross-body, that didn't have a lot of weight itself so it wouldn't start off heavy, that could fit all the stuff you mentioned plus a thin binder size planner at least occasionally.  So far it's working well.  I do keep a small VB bag with a long cross-body strap inside it that holds a card holder, coin purse and my phone, so if I'm just running in somewhere quickly I can just grab that out. 

I tried a leather backpack purse first.  I used it for a while but I found it very uncomfortable if I didn't want to wear it as a backpack (which I didn't want to bother with if I was running into a store and sticking it in a carriage right away).  It felt awkward wearing it over one shoulder, more uncomfortable than a "school" type backpack would be.  I tried it because I used to have an absolutely gorgeous full size leather backpack that an old boss gave me when I went back to college.  It got wet, then moldy in our garage and I had to get rid of it.  I wanted one like it sooooo bad, but I really can't afford what they seem to cost these days.

Are you around an Ikea? I got this bag as just a impulse buy, and have been amazed at how dependent I've become. I used it at a conference, and carried 2 of those smaller 16-20oz water bottles, a book, my phone, wallet, a few odds and ends that you pick up at a conference, and it had room for more if I needed. Fits an iPad, even though you don't need that. There is a net area that I keep my keys in. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10313576/

Comes in red and black. I'm considering buying another for the eventual day this one wears out. It's holding up well though for the cost, I wasn't expecting a workhorse but have been pleasantly surprised. Bought in March, still going strong. The zipper doesn't feel awesome (typical zipper), but hasn't given out yet, despite my sometimes harsh tugging. 

• Like 4

OK, so thanks to this thread, I just bought this bag (I bought the last of the color, but it's Canyon, which is a beige with pink embroidery and interior):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHU7YOY/

I think it might be a bit bigger than I'm wanting, but I need it to fit my laptop, so we'll see. Love Amazon's free returns!

And I put this bag on my Christmas list (in the Pewter Floral):

https://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Hobo-Tote-Pewter-Floral/dp/B01M1RC7MK/

I don't always need my laptop with me, so that might end up being a good everyday bag. 

I'm looking forward to not having to juggle all my various stuff anymore!

• Like 1