Menu

Anyone else futzing with the marketplace this morning?

Carrie12345

On my to-do list for the afternoon. Our state website has handy calculators on it, with estimated yearly total out of pocket based on your estimated number of appointments/prescriptions/etc. I think, based on that, we'll be better served moving to a different plan, but I want to talk to our BCBS rep first to clarify a few things.

The best (and by best, I mean worst coverage) BC has to offer me is $1446/mo.  :crying:

I can't like your posts. This is sad. Do what Plink in post #2 did and contact an Independent Insurance Agent who sells Health/Medical insurance. Do that ASAP!   Good luck!

The best (and by best, I mean worst coverage) BC has to offer me is $1446/mo. :crying:

Our numbers were slightly lower than yours but for catastrophic coverage. I mean you get one well visit per person and one eye exam per person but nothing else is covered til you hit the deductible.

ETA: I get the importance of insurance. However, if we paying high premiums puts us in a place where we can no longer afford to see the dr when we are sick, it isnt helping us, its hurting us.

We are opting out again due to unaffordability. Probably about half of the middle class can take that exemption.

Edited by MaeFlowers

I have it on the calendar to do later. I was already told what my new exorbitant premium would be if I don't switch plans. Haven't had the mental fortitude to start the process.

Debating if it will be less expensive to go without and pay out of pocket. Then I worry about if something serious happens.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 1

Pretty sure I'll be in the same situation as the OP.  I'm the only one in the family paying for insurance (hubby gets it at work, kids are grandfathered in to the state free plan) so we try to look at it like "this is what we're paying for the whole family" (instead of for just me), but I fear we'll be priced out of even that this year.  

I'm considering a sharing program like Medishare or Samaritan Ministries, or something else.   

ETA:  Yep, as I expected based on what I'd heard.  My cost is more than tripling.  Will look at other options including being added to dh's policy at work, the sharing programs and now (because of this thread), a private broker.  

Edited by milovany

My renewal for Florida Blue is $2400 a month for 3 people. Health gov is $1400 a month for the same coverage. Cigna has a funky policy for $1000 a month. We are choosing funky.

And when I went to the Florida Blue office to find out why their premiums for the same coverage are $1000 difference, they said they have no appointments until 11/8. So, let me get this straight. You want $30,000 a year from me and you cannot answer a simple question for over a week?

Edited by Minniewannabe
  • Like 1

My renewal for Florida Blue is $2400 a month for 3 people. Health gov is $1400 a month for the same coverage. Cigna has a funky policy for $1000 a month. We are choosing funky.

And when I went to the Florida Blue office to find out why their premiums for the same coverage are $1000 difference, they said they have no appointments until 11/8. So, let me get this straight. You want $30,000 a year from me and you cannot answer a simple question for over a week?

If you are certain the Florida Blue coverage is the same, for $2400 if you renew, or for $1400 via the exchange, they are either giving you a discount, if you sign up via the Exchange, or you are getting subsidized via the Exchange.

Cigna Funky policy is worth dropping out of Blue Cross for $400 a month savings? That's $4800 a year, which is a nice piece of change, if the Network and coverage are not much worse.

• Like 1

If you are certain the Florida Blue coverage is the same, for $2400 if you renew, or for $1400 via the exchange, they are either giving you a discount, if you sign up via the Exchange, or you are getting subsidized via the Exchange.

Cigna Funky policy is worth dropping out of Blue Cross for $400 a month savings? That's $4800 a year, which is a nice piece of change, if the Network and coverage are not much worse.

Nope, no subsidies. I am guessing one of the BCBS is HMO type and one is PPO type. That is all I can guess. At any rate, I am now getting the Cigna.

• Like 1

There may be much more coverage in an HMO than in a PPO plan.   We had a PPO here for many years and it was wonderful, but I believe the actual coverage was far more limited than what the "POS" (Obligatory Health Plan) covers, assuming one can get treated with that. 

So, yes, if one is an HMO and the other is a PPO, the actual coverage between the 2 BC plans may be extremely different.

• Like 1