Menu

New Low Income Families Social Group

So who defines low income? In some areas an income can be more than comfortable, where as in other areasa that same income is poverty level.

I think people get to define themselves.

Since I just appointed myself god of my own social forum, I'm going to start by approving pretty much anyone who would like to be part of a social group for low income folks unless I think I have reason to suspect troll or bot.

Does that work for you guys?

I also understand that the social group feature of this forum software has been problematic and am open to alternative forms of communication and community building.

• Like 9

Most definitely not. But sometimes people like to be able to share with those who are walking the same walk.

Exactly. I am not proud of my behavior when a well meaning acquaintance said that she didn't know what Top Ramen was, but if I couldn't afford it then I would just have to make something less expensive for dinner, like maybe some nice braised chicken breasts in lemon sauce, and then take all the leftover change out of my pockets when I came home from work and save them in an empty mayonaisse jar in my closet until I could afford enough Top Ramen to throw a dinner party for all of my friends to celebrate delayed gratification, self-control, and proper bootstrap pulling.

I'm sure I would sound every bit as ridiculous giving advice about choosing a mortgage or hiring a stock broker.

Socioeconomic class can also be a political issue and we need to keep politics off the main boards.

• Like 17

I think people get to define themselves.

Since I just appointed myself god of my own social forum, I'm going to start by approving pretty much anyone who would like to be part of a social group for low income folks unless I think I have reason to suspect troll or bot.

Does that work for you guys?

I also understand that the social group feature of this forum software has been problematic and am open to alternative forms of communication and community building.

Are we required to call you god? ;)

• Like 2

Are we required to call you god? ;)

Nah, but you have to give me a kick in the pants when I get too full of myself and remind me that I have other skills and talents even though my leadership abilities have always left something to be desired. ;)

• Like 2

I forgot to put the link in the thread because the group is temporarily "public" and I'm an idiot, so here it is now:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/groups/293-new-low-income-homeschooling-families/

The "funny software" links in my sig aren't a joke, so sometimes it takes me awhile to figure out how to do new things like starting social groups and appointing myself god. ;)

Edited by Guest

Exactly. I am not proud of my behavior when a well meaning acquaintance said that she didn't know what Top Ramen was, but if I couldn't afford it then I would just have to make something less expensive for dinner, like maybe some nice braised chicken breasts in lemon sauce, and then take all the leftover change out of my pockets when I came home from work and save them in an empty mayonaisse jar in my closet until I could afford enough Top Ramen to throw a dinner party for all of my friends to celebrate delayed gratification, self-control, and proper bootstrap pulling.

I'm sure I would sound every bit as ridiculous giving advice about choosing a mortgage or hiring a stock broker.

Socioeconomic class can also be a political issue and we need to keep politics off the main boards.

If I join the group (LOL we're in the slightly comfortable edge of low income, but any car repair beyond an oil change wrecks the budget) will younshare what you did or said? ;)

And speaking of well-meaning and car repairs... 25 years ago I worked in luxury salons that catered to women with plenty of money. Once I had to cancel my appointments for the day because my car broke down and I couldn't make it to work. I had other times where I was late/rescheduled due to car issues. One clueless client asked why I didn't just buy a new car? I told her I couldn't afford it. She seemed confused (I can read upside down- so I could see in her checkbook register she could have easily purchased a brand new Honda after her mani/pedi) so I explained that if her services cost an average of $15/hour, and most salons pay 40-50% commission, how much did she think we made? She was horrified.

And sadly, my car situation never really improved. Used cars might save me car payments, but they sure make up for it in repairs :(

• Like 7

@Rebel Yell:

When my new-to-me car got stolen and trashed within a week after I bought it with the inheritance from my grandmother, someone who was otherwise a "bff" told me that it was way too old anyway and I should be happy to have an "excuse" to "go buy yourself something fun for a change!" when they had trouble finding the parts for it.

They found the part eventually, insurance paid for it, and I still have that boring old '88 Honda Accord even though it did get parked for awhile when I couldn't afford gas.

They seriously don't mean those comments to be hurtful but they ARE!!!!! Your explanation to the lady at the salon was exactly what she needed. I hope you join the group.

Another doozie: There is simply no excuse for living the way I do. FRIEND had the sense to buy a house in a nice neighbourhood with a good homeowner's association that gives them free, unlimited curbside garbage and recycling pickup but since I'm not as smart as she is, the LEAST i can do is take those old broken appliances to the dump on my lunch hour. Well, that's no excuse! I could put them in my old camping backpack and carry them. Well, I could buy an axe and chop them up until they fit and just make as many trips as it takes. But that's simply no excuse! My restaurant bill will go down if I only go out for breakfast and dinner and I won't have to spend as much on gym fees if I lose all that ugly cellulite on my own just from walking back and forth instead of wasting my lunch hour gorging myself on Top Ramen, whatever THAT may be!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 8

Yep. Lots of WTM posters are afterschoolers. I started a few stub threads and most of them would apply just fine to your family. If you wish you could homeschool but don't think that is possible for financial reasons, then maybe we can help with that too.

I definitely *feel* low income at times, even though I know we're not, because we are 50% above the regional median household income. We seem to surround ourselves with higher income folks with little sensitivity. Not unlike the Top Ramen lady. Only with us it's insensitive assumptions about what we can provide our kids in terms of vacations, extracurricular, sports, camps, dining out and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 3

Yea, the advantage of the Social Groups is that they aren't publicly viewable; chat board threads are.

Sleep, sweet Benny, sleep is good.

Edited by Guest

I consider us much better off than we used to be, but when we stress about how many trips we make with the car to town (e.g. larger city with shopping and homeschool events or even dr offices) each week it makes me feel poor. We have used WIC, EBT, and Medicaid/Chips in the past. We put almost all our purchases on our credit card. The bank account is for auto draft bills. I have to check with dh before I write checks or check the bank account. That is why when someone says "cash or check" I usually go to a grocery store and do cash back with my cc rather than write a check.

We're facing a large, to me at least, income drop mid 2018 so I'm trying to prepare now for it! Even now, we're lower income, then we'll be really low income.

When we moved to NC, DH took a 40% pay cut.  I stopped working.  Our income went down over 2/3 overnight.  We had some VERY lean years.  In retrospect, we should have done things differently, but hindsight and all that.  

I don't want to be supreme ruler and benevolent dictator because I suck at it, but if I had the leadership qualities I admire in other people I would desperately want to let in the downwardly mobile and all of you who are under financial stress but don't think you have the right to compassion because other people have it worse.

I keep deleting elaboration because I don't know how to keep it from getting political or possibly triggering a lot of negative self-talk in us USAmericans who were steeped in Horatio Alger type mythology our whole lives.

I certainly don't have a deep or sophisticated enough knowledge of politics and economy to run for secretary of the PTA, much less overthrow the government of the largest superpower in the world to make things better for the little guy, but I do know that very intelligent people who know every nuance there is about dog shows and horseback riding lessons aren't going to have a clue how to apply for food stamps or find a safe place for their kids to sleep if they become homeless.

I wannabe like Rebel Yell and say, "Top Ramen is the only thing you can get for the money you have but cheer up, if you go to the Farmer's Market after it closes and ask politely they sometimes give you the vegetables they couldn't sell if they have more than their chickens need and even if they don't, you can still make the noodles soft enough to eat with hot water from the public restroom when you don't have a safe place to build a campfire."

I don't think rich people are better than us, but I do think they have been told all their lives that they are and that there have got to be a lot of Muffies, Chips, and Mrs. Von Schnootzenheimers out there who feel just as out of place as the Beverly Hillbillies.

Anyway, the group is still viewable but one of my favourite people didn't want to join until i tightened up the settings so the posts aren't any more.

My intention is to tighten the security down as far as possible eventually, but I'm not sure we're all here yet or if anyone is even going to understand me if I say, "If you don't like the way I run this group then fork it!" which is not an insult at all, just my particular brand of techspeak for "Maybe we need more than one group and I was scared to start this one too. Go for it!"

I don't know anything at all about recent issues with Social Groups in general. I'm not one of the "popular kids" so I am capable of learning, I just never needed to know before, lol.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3