Menu

baby gift ideas

Bootsie

Clothes that were blue. :)  My newborn sized clothes are neutral, because we didn't know DD was DD until she was born, so all of my fullterm babies have worn those same clothes, but they've also been big, so those newborn clothes don't last long on them.  About as soon as DD was born, pink outfits arrived, so I wasn't going to use them on DS1.  Luckily, MIL enjoys shopping, and she showed up hours after DS1's birth with blue and red outfits.  (I think she had probably shopped ahead of time, just in case.)

A good baby carrier.  If I hadn't had been a babywearing mama already, I certainly would have become one when my second child was born.  My oldest was a super active and busy 3yo, and my second was a very content baby as long as I was holding him.  And he started out at almost ten pounds and remained a velcro baby for a good couple of years, so I needed a good carrier.  A Moby wrap is nice, or a mei tai.  Well, so is a German style woven wrap, but they're expensive.

Little stuff wears out too.  Disposable diapers and wipes if they don't use cloth.  But things like washcloths, hooded towels. . .  

Seasonal items like warm hats and booties or sunhats, if this baby is off season from the first one.

• Like 1

I was always so appreciative of a sibling gift when my older kids came in quick succession. I think it's especially helpful with a 2 year old sibling to give a token baby gift and something to help the sibling adjust (and help the mom to help the sibling to adjust!)

Maybe something like a basket of board books that are "for the baby" but that toddler can use now. Or a blue outfit/blanket for the baby with a DVD or toy for the sibling. 

I had a baby last year but my youngest was already 11. I received a lot of blankets. I think my favorite gift was a bunch of gerber cloth diapers to use as burp rags. I didn't think to buy any of my own and they were so handy for everything between milk leaks, baby spit up, random boy pee geysers, me having brain fog and constantly knocking water bottles off of my night stand. The gift giver prettied them up by sewing a panel on the center stripe, but even without that they'd have been awesome. 

• Like 2

I know this is silly, but I liked getting one or two really nice quality sleepers or outfits or whatever is seasonally appropriate.  I had hand-me-downs, and I bought used, but getting something really nice - a kickee pants gown, or a lemon loves lime outfit with the ruffled shorts, or something - was just so nice.

I was always so appreciative of a sibling gift when my older kids came in quick succession. I think it's especially helpful with a 2 year old sibling to give a token baby gift and something to help the sibling adjust (and help the mom to help the sibling to adjust!)

Maybe something like a basket of board books that are "for the baby" but that toddler can use now. Or a blue outfit/blanket for the baby with a DVD or toy for the sibling. 

I had a baby last year but my youngest was already 11. I received a lot of blankets. I think my favorite gift was a bunch of gerber cloth diapers to use as burp rags. I didn't think to buy any of my own and they were so handy for everything between milk leaks, baby spit up, random boy pee geysers, me having brain fog and constantly knocking water bottles off of my night stand. The gift giver prettied them up by sewing a panel on the center stripe, but even without that they'd have been awesome. 

I worried the toddler at the party I'm attending would feel left out. I got her some shirts from The Children's Place when they were on sale. One is a Halloween shirt and one is a sister shirt. I like the idea of books.

• Like 1

An Itzbeen.  It's a simple, four button timer with a clip on the back to attach to the diaper bag.  One for feedings, one for diapers, one for sleep, and one blank for things like medication.  It was handy to have a very easy glance at the clock to see how long it had been since X had happened, especially when I was bleary and feeling pulled in different directions (and good for handing off to a sitter, too).

The Indestructibles books.  They're made of Tyvek so are perfect for littles.  They feel like plastic paper, and are impossible to rip or tear.  They go in the washing machine, too.

One of these roll up place mats.

Friends of mine gave a frozen meal "shower" for my second baby; they brought great homemade stuff like lasagna, chicken soup, etc. I had easy healthy meals for a month! :)

Oh yeah!  The mealtrain that my friends organized after I had the last baby was SO wonderful and helpful because I didn't have a chance to do the freezer meals like I've done in the past.  If your friend has freezer space, frozen meals are great!