Menu

nextdoor.com - opinions?

klmama

I get a once a day summation of new posts that I peruse.  If there are any interesting posts, I open them.  Most days I don't. 

Others on the site (outside of administrators) do not have access to your email.  NextDoor has it's own PM system.

Right now there is a huge fight going on our local Nextdoor on whether you should be allowed to let your dog pee and poop on other people's lawns.  It can open your eyes to things and attitudes in your neighborhood that you never knew existed.  But I don't think it's a problem. 

• Like 4

I'd never heard of NextDoor.com until I read your post.  Our HOA has a number of groups on WhatsApp. We don't have to do anything, except click to join a group we are invited to join,  as long as we already have WhatsApp installed on our Smart phones. WhatsApp is free.

There is one big group (approximately 100 lots here), one for our street (and I assume other ones for other streets), and one for the lady who is the Administrator (our legal representative).  That works fine for us.  I don't know what NextDoor.com might have to offer in addition to the great services that WhatsApp provides.

We are in South America, and here, as in most of the world outside the USA, WhatsApp is extremely popular.

If the signup for NextDoor.com is at all invasive, I'd skip it and suggest to your neighbors that they use WhatsApp.

ETA: There is also a group for the Zumba classes. Probably there are other groups I don't know about.

Edited by Lanny

After I replied, I read the post by Jean.  One of the things that frequently is on our WhatsApp channels is photos of stray dogs that are lost and need to get back to their houses. Dogs in the street off leash and/or without someone to walk them. Other interesting things that sometimes involve fallen trees in a street. On WhatsApp, you can send text messages or voice messages. You can also make Voice calls. Hugely popular outside the USA. Facebook paid $20 billion dollars to buy WhatsApp.  

This is the URL for the Wikipedia blurb about WhatsApp:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp

Our local neighborhood association uses WhatsApp for "in house" communications that go to members only.  My experience with it is that it is like a text that comes to my phone. 

NextDoor is a neighborhood forum.  Local groups can post information on it but it goes to everyone in the neighborhoods that you choose to have it go to.  I don't know if you can narrow down the dissemination of information more than that or not. 

I just joined after getting one of those postcards.   There hasn't been anything useful on it, nor anything even mildly entertaining.  I've also noticed that it is not limited to our neighborhood but includes others nearby.  Which is fine, just not what I was expecting.  

I am on it and find it nice to know what's going on the neighborhood. Lost or missing pets, lost items on the road, students that need tutors, fundraising by schools etc. during the last election, it got a bit testy as people announced candidates open forum and you get an attack or two but that died down eventually. I got a summer job for a nephew through it so it's been good.

I finally joined ours. I do see posts for the handful of subdivisions right near me as well, though there is a setting where I can turn that off. 

Ours is helpful in that the various local police forces post to it with updates on crime stats, public safety information, community information, things like that. Then of course the onslaught of for sale posts, lost dog posts, and "please don't let your dog poop in my yard/your teen walk alone looking suspicious/your visitors drive fast/etc" complaints. :shrug: 

Ours also is a way of gathering info on construction road closures (our near highway is under construction for the next few years, and there are constant road closures, with little official communication of when & where those will happen), and things like recommendations, referrals, garage sale notices, etc. It's been good, overall, but no more or less helpful than our neighborhood facebook group. The difference being our FB group administrators have to often kick people out when they discover they don't really live in our neighborhood; Nextdoor is address verified from the start. 

I just joined ours worried that I was missing something. I wasn't. A number of ads and pretty random posts.

"I found a college class lab book in my yard, is it yours?"

"Can anyone recommend an ophthalmologist?"

"Is it just me, or have the number of small planes landing at the local airport gone up?"

Although, I did find out about a prop/costume sale at the local theater.

Ours consist mostly of posts about lost dogs, dogs running loose without a human, lost cats, cats peeing in neighbor's yard, Snakes!, coyotes, foxes, door-to-door salespeople, what's that loud noise?, caught this person on video stealing packages from my doorstep, who wants to buy my old lawnmower/baby clothes/kitchen items/furniture, is anyone else's internet service down.

It's mostly entertaining but sometimes annoying.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

OP here.  I joined, skipped all the pages requesting access to my contact list, emergency contacts, etc. (click upper right corner to skip), and went into my settings to make my visible address my street only, not house number, and I limited which emails I would get. The site had various comments about dogs running loose, missing cat photos, and requests for recommendations on service providers, but there was also some important info on an area improvement plan by the city which will cost homeowners a lot of $$$ in a few years, if it's implemented.  I was glad to find that.  

• Like 2

My neighborhood has a nextdoor account and I received an invitation to join. We also have a facebook page. After a few weeks on nextdoor I realized the facebook page has pretty much the same stuff (loose dog or outdoor cats, my car was broken into, stop speeding on the entrance road, etc., IOW, mostly complaints. At least the facebook page is more active and has some good stuff like information you can actually use. I think I closed my nextdoor account. I definitely stopped the emails.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I use nextdoor neighbor.  My neighborhood does not have a facebook page.  I have used a recommendation from it (chimney cleaner), have found out about crimes occurring and road construction, and about events occurring in my city too.  Are there some annoying people- yes- there are two or three all in an uproar about our local Tennessee River access- I am not a boat owner and don't have a dog in that fight so ignore those posts.  

I like it.  I did change my settings to only receive stuff for my immediate neighborhood b/c I was seeing stuff too far away.  There is always disagreements about things, but I have learned some things, and more about my neighbors ;-)    I do appreciate hearing about break ins and issues nearby.  When my compost bin disappeared I had several tell me most likely it wasn't stolen but just fell into the truck as theirs had.  The police posted recently as well looking for info on something.  I see it as a good thing.  And my kids found some work through the site this summer and made some $$$.  So it's good for us.  I'm sure some areas with less moderation might have issues. 

I like it. It is often lost animals, looking for recommendation for house work and things of that nature, giving something away for free, but it is really useful for package and mail theft, car break ins snd so forth. People have posted still shots from video capturing thieves so people can be on the look out. We have an opioid issue (like most places) and many places that stand empty get squatters and drug use. We get those warnings too.