Menu

Bears need repairs...

SKL

OK I know this is something most of you probably do yourselves with a little stuffing and needle and thread.  And obviously I could do that.  But I am wondering if there are any conventional ways to outsource the repair of Crabby Baby Bear and his siblings, or to make it a fun (and successful) project for my kid.  PS this is *the* bear and its owner expects to it to go to college with her ....

Wondering if craft stores ever do this or maybe Build-a-Bear or similar (though we did not buy them at Build-a-Bear)?

Any ideas?

Well, mainly they need some stuffing, as my daughter is concerned about the necks being floppy.  Some of them have holes on the paws that need sewed up.  The other thing, which may not be fixable, is bald patches where she used to pull the hair out.

I have washed the bears many times, and I'm actually impressed that they have held up as well as they have.  But apparently they get more floppy each time, and with the seams coming out, I am reluctant to wash again without fixing them first.  Which needs to be fairly soon, since she sucks on them and they smell.  :P

I don't have photos - the photo size limits on this forum would make the photos unhelpful, I think.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of stuffed animals doctored in the past. I can't remember the name of the one we used, but you can find quite a few options on the internet. (stuffedanimals.com, cheryl's doll hospital, teddybearrepair)

I would look for a place who gave estimates before starting the work. We sent the animals to them, they emailed an estimate back. If we didn't like the estimate, they sent the animal back to us. Also, look at the pictures on the website & see if you like *HOW* they redo an animal. You'll understand if you see the variety of ways things can be fixed (major, minor). Also, you might need to be specific as to what you want changed vs. what you don't want touched. 

It took a couple of months total (including shipping) because of the wait time in the hospital. We were kept up to date on progress. They even sent a small stuffed animal "friend" back with one of them so our guy wouldn't be scared & lonely while in transit on the way back.  :coolgleamA:

These were DH & my sibling's animals - not my kids', BTW. They were extremely well-loved. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it for us.

• Like 3

Depending on where fur is missing, clothes could cover. Build a bear, if the size is right, or craft stores sometimes have t-shirts for bears of different sizes, or even an infant-sized shirt (one of mine has a series of infant shirts from different places, which help reinforce a multitude of worn spots.

I thought it might be time for this

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."...

Seriously though I'd probably just grab a needle and thread and tackle it myself...

• Like 5

This was a project I dreaded. My son's favorite stuffed animal is a dinosaur that was one of the $5 ones from Kohls. In other words, not the highest quality stuffed animal ever. It certainly wasn't meant to be chewed on, wrestled with, or washed umpteen million times. Dinosaur was looking pretty pitiful.l

I swear I have in the past 10 years repaired just about every seam. Adding additional stuffing wasn't difficult, I added it through an existing hole and then stitched it closed while watching tv. After I finally did it, Dinosaur looked so much better. I wished I had done it a long time ago.

I know you would prefer to outsource, but I bet you can find a YouTube video that could teach you how to do it even if you only have very basic sewing skills.

This was a project I dreaded. My son's favorite stuffed animal is a dinosaur that was one of the $5 ones from Kohls. In other words, not the highest quality stuffed animal ever. It certainly wasn't meant to be chewed on, wrestled with, or washed umpteen million times. Dinosaur was looking pretty pitiful.l

I swear I have in the past 10 years repaired just about every seam. Adding additional stuffing wasn't difficult, I added it through an existing hole and then stitched it closed while watching tv. After I finally did it, Dinosaur looked so much better. I wished I had done it a long time ago.

I know you would prefer to outsource, but I bet you can find a YouTube video that could teach you how to do it even if you only have very basic sewing skills.

Part of me doesn't want to take the blame if I change it in a way that upsets the owner....

I am a wuss.

We do need to buy some bear clothes anyway, as my daughter believes that will help the bears last longer.  So I was thinking a Build-a-Bear type place for that reason.  I am sure it would be an expensive option, but for "the" special lovey, I don't mind a one-time investment.

Our bear was also a $5 wonder from Borders, and we ended up with 3 of them because a friend of mine bought us 2 after we bought the first one.  I only bought the bear because my [then 1yo] kid had grabbed it and started sucking on it in the store.  :P

• Like 3