Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW37: Happy Birthday Mary Oliver

Robin M

Hey fellow Iceland-lovers (is there a term for that...? I am sure there might be), the hubs and I have been consuming an Icelandic TV drama we found on Amazon Prime called Trapped. Murder/mystery. Very good (two episodes left). We're not really big on TV here.

But it would take your minds off hurricanes, floods, fires...and replace them with snowstorms and avalanches and ice storms. :)

I watched the first episode a while back but didn't get around to watching more. I plan to get back to it eventually.

Ds and I are currently at dss' house but will head home soon. Dh wanted to stay home so he could get up and get to work on stuff. We'll head home soon to help. Dss as a first responder has been working on Cocoa Beach since Saturday and just got home. Still no power in most of my county (last I heard 87%). I really wouldn't mind being without power if not for the weather. September is hot and humid. We're expecting Temps in the 90s with humidity close to the temperatures. If not for the heat it would be like camping, and we're long time campers. Except we only camped in Florida from November to March.

ETA: We're at dss' because he has power and I just couldn't sleep without a/c another night. I'm considering seeing if any hotels by me have power just so we can sleep comfortably but still be close to home. Dss lives an hour away.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 14

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane, I have had my eye on Jose for a few weeks now. Not liking current trend. For awhile there, they were predicting an early death in the Atlantic. What happened to that plan? That was a good one! Seriously, though, watching earth.nullschool.net makes it obvious how Irma and Jose influence each other. And now Africa has spawned another X...

Nan

• Like 12

Welcome back, idnib! I still have a few (heat sensitive) eclipse stamps left. Anyone else want a postcard with one? If you requested one from me and I failed to send it out, please give a gentle nudge.

If you have any left my kids would be delighted to receive one!

• Like 10

Again, c&p from one of the hurricane threads.

We have power! It came back about an hour ago. I'm at Publix* in line for subs because I'm sure our food in the fridge will have to go. Power was out for over 45 hours. The line is like a line for The Haunted Mansion at WDW or the HP ride at Universal. Crazy long. At least everyone is in good humor, joking about theme park lines and such.

*For those who don't know, Publix is a popular Florida based regional grocery chain and their subs (heroes to some of you) are legendary.

In actual book news I'm 62% through The Ring of Solomon. I think I was around 20-22% done before the storm.

• Like 15

Again, c&p from one of the hurricane threads.

We have power! It came back about an hour ago. I'm at Publix* in line for subs because I'm sure our food in the fridge will have to go. Power was out for over 45 hours. The line is like a line for The Haunted Mansion at WDW or the HP ride at Universal. Crazy long. At least everyone is in good humor, joking about theme park lines and such.

*For those who don't know, Publix is a popular Florida based regional grocery chain and their subs (heroes to some of you) are legendary.

In actual book news I'm 62% through The Ring of Solomon. I think I was around 20-22% done before the storm.

Hurrah!  Glad that you will have minimal misery, Kathy!

• Like 11

We have power! It came back about an hour ago. I'm at Publix* ...

Yay for the return of your power!

I remember Publix from when I attended college in Florida.  I enjoyed shopping there.  I could never shop at Piggly Wiggly because of the name.  Do those still exist?

Some books that are currently free for Kindle readers ~

a historical romance novella ~  The Pirate and I: A Novella (Devil's Duke) by Katharine Ashe

inspirational women's fiction/romance ~  A Reason to Run (The Camdyn Series Book 1)  by Christina Coryell

urban fantasy ~  Omega: An Urban Fantasy Novel (War of the Alphas Book 1) by SM Reine

paranormal fantasy with mythology ~ Struck: (Phoebe Meadows Book 1)  by Amanda Carlson

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I remember Publix from when I attended college in Florida.  I enjoyed shopping there.  I could never shop at Piggly Wiggly because of the name.  Do those still exist?

I grew up with Piggly Wiggly with the silly logo of a cartoon pig wearing a food worker cap. And they do still exist. 

I have and use a Publix cloth bag that moved back here with my ds after his Orlando college days. Every once in a while someone comments when seeing the bag, wondering if I'm from Florida. It's a cool bag because it had a couple of little flanges that snap shut keeping the folded bag nice and tidy.

I never reported on my reading:

Aside from Broken Homes, the 4th Rivers of London book, last week I also devoured Y is for Yesterday, the most recent Kinsey Milhone mystery.  I remember thinking the books hit a lull, probably mid-alphabet, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few entries. I went to a signing back when E or F was coming out, last century before children, and now she is dedicating her books to several grandchildren, one of whom is named Kinsey!  I rather like having had these books over the years, and will be sad when Z comes out and finishes the series.

I'm listening to Hidden Figures, which I had avoided after so many negative reviews here, but I'm liking it, and finding it fascinating. I had already seen the movie, and I think the book is fleshing out the movie, giving context to it. I'm also listening to the last of the Master and Commander titles, which so far is not very good, yet it is also quite wonderful knowing this is the last adventure I'll have with Aubrey and Maturin.

I've also started War and Turpentine, which Loseje had recommended when I asked about Flemish books in translation. It is beautifully written, and reminds me a bit of The Hare with the Amber Eyes in that it is family history.  

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 12

I grew up with Piggly Wiggly with the silly logo of a cartoon pig wearing a food worker cap. And they do still exist. 

I have and use a Publix cloth bag that moved back here with my ds after his Orlando college days. Every once in a while someone comments when seeing the bag, wondering if I'm from Florida. It's a cool bag because it had a couple of little flanges that snap shut keeping the folded bag nice and tidy.

I never reported on my reading:

Aside from Broken Homes, the 4th Rivers of London book, last week I also devoured Y is for Yesterday, the most recent Kinsey Milhone mystery.  I remember thinking the books hit a lull, probably mid-alphabet, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few entries. I went to a signing back when E or F was coming out, last century before children, and now she is dedicating her books to several grandchildren, one of whom is named Kinsey!  I rather like having had these books over the years, and will be sad when Z comes out and finishes the series.

I'm listening to Hidden Figures, which I had avoided after so many negative reviews here, but I'm liking it, and finding it fascinating. I had already seen the movie, and I think the book is fleshing out the movie, giving context to it. I'm also listening to the last of the Master and Commander titles, which so far is not very good, yet it is also quite wonderful knowing this is the last adventure I'll have with Aubrey and Maturin.

I've also started War and Turpentine, which Loseje had recommended when I asked about Flemish books in translation. It is beautifully written, and reminds me a bit of The Hare with the Amber Eyes in that it is family history.  

Is it Blue at the Mizzen? or The Unfinished Voyage? I'm in the middle of Blue at the Mizzen and so far not much is happening...well, Reade's arm has miraculously grown back and now he has a hook ;)

I haven't listened to the last few books - they were a bit dull and I don't know that Patrick Tull's reading would save them for me. 

• Like 10

Piggly Wiggly isn't in my part of Florida. The first time I ever saw one was when I went to college in Tallahassee (Florida State). They were everywhere in south Georgia, where I had my first teaching job after graduating. I haven't seen one in years but apparently they're still around. If I'm not mistaken Piggly Wiggly and Winn Dixie are the same company. At least they used to be. I remember the one I shopped at in GA had the generic brand Chek, which is also Winn Dixie's brand. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 11

Thanks Amy for the fluffy romance rec, A Rogue's Downfall by Mary Balogh. I'm in the low-energy phase of the cold running through our house and that was perfect for lying on the sofa and taking it easy (did I mention all kids are in school and dh is travelling?). I may check out more by her. I think I'll need more fluff if I'm to get to 52 books this year. Or 53 if I go prime.

I finished last week's W&P section and then read this week's in less than two days! This was a good one--Nicholas and Marya, Natasha and Prince Andrei, Helene getting her comeuppance, poor Pierre. And no war. But I think it's back to war in the next book so I haven't started it yet.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 12

Is it Blue at the Mizzen? or The Unfinished Voyage? I'm in the middle of Blue at the Mizzen and so far not much is happening...well, Reade's arm has miraculously grown back and now he has a hook ;)

I haven't listened to the last few books - they were a bit dull and I don't know that Patrick Tull's reading would save them for me. 

Yes, Blue at the Mizzen!  Not much happening and the scenes just jump ahead, as if O'Brian was impatient to tell his story. I'm still listening and was amused that Reade now has a deeper voice too, but I guess he is supposed to be grown up now.  And where did this new woman show up, the naturalist that Stephan is writing to and pining over?!

Isn't Unfinished Voyage really short, very obviously unfinished? I can't decide if I'll want to read it or not. 

• Like 10

Piggly Wiggly is still around, though I think they have reduced their locations by quite a bit over the past decade. I see one on a rural backroute I take on part of the way to my sister's. I always loved shopping there when visiting SC, esp. when my kids were young -- my ds always called it Piggle Wiggle & somehow that made the shopping experience even better. (I've never been to a Piggly Wiggly in GA, not even sure I've ever seen one here, just in SC.)

We have Publix. Love it. Publix is hugely popular in this area.

Ellesmere, glad to see you checking in too!

Here, lots of yard debris down, a skylight leaking, & some leaking in my garage, but otherwise ok. My parents' house here is ok as are all the cats. They had a couple of big limbs come down & a tiny bit of water leakage into the bathroom in the basement of their house. My sis is ok in Charleston (they did lose power for quite a few hours & at different times) & apparently the beach house there is ok too other than a minor bit of damage. Haven't heard reports about her workplace downtown along the harbor, looks like downtown had major flooding (more than Matthew, less than Hugo). Since the docks are her workplace were quite damaged from Matthew last year & still weren't completely repaired, I'm guessing it's a mess down there.

I wondered how you guys had all fared, especially when I heard about the storm surge in Charleston. Thanks for the update.

Nan

• Like 10

Lady Florida - Phew!!

Kareni - I couldn't get the link for epic fantasies to work. I appreciate the bookish links you provide. Thank you.

I finished Patrick O'Brian's HMS Surprise and Wicked and am now reading I am Princess X. All while awaiting the arrival of the 5th book on the space opera I am absorbed in. And I am reading that space opera because I got deeply sucked into book one another one while I was packing to go sailing for 6 weeks, managed to obtain a combined volume of books 1-3 to bring with me (yeah!!!), and then lost it when we met up with our middle son between ships. He was about to get on a bus to St. John's to take a ferry to Nova Scotia to meet a schooner for a school trip lasting several weeks and asked if I had a book he could bring. The only book he had packed was a volume of Bowditch's Practical Navigator, a 3 or 4" thick hardback that is trig tables for dead reconning and the tables he needs for celestial navigation. We left him at the dock discussing seaboots and how much room they take up in one's duffle bag. Jenn, I thought of your "young gentlemen" - hence the Surprise.

Nan

Eta Suddenly wondering if I posted all that before...

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 15

Kathy and Stacia, it's good to hear that you've come through the storm with minimal damage. And I see from TMZ that the Hemingway house in Key West, and the cats, are all fine too. http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/10/hemingway-houses-cats-hurricane-irma-key-west/

I finished Walden and re-read "Civil Disobedience" to round it out. Thoreau has improved much since high school. Let's see what else is here on the Shame list....

Nice to see you pop in, Ellesmere.

• Like 13

I finished my Bingo card  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: . And Goodreads tells me that I have read 50 books so far this year. It is really 40-something once I pull out the super short ones. Considering that I only read 16 books in 2016, I am more than content with my progress. I was able to give 19/25 either four or five stars, so I am also happy with my Bingo choices :) Rose, thank you for nudging me into the Book of the Week Thread :) It has really been a bright spot in my year thus far.

Prime Number: Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)

Flufferton: The Grand Sophy (Georgette Heyer)

Eastern Europe: Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster (Svetlana Alexievich)

Bestseller Child or Spouse Birth Year: Dr. Zhivago (Boris Pasternak)

Steampunk: Soulless (Gail Carriger)

Science Fiction: Cinder (Marissa Meyer)

Your Name in the Title: Death and the Penguin (Andrey Kurkov)

Collection of Short Stories: One Thousand and One Nights (Hanan Al-Shaykh)

Seaworthy: A Hope More Powerful than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival (Melissa Fleming)

Middle Ages: Laurus (Evgenij Vodolazkin)

Western: News of the World (Paulette Jiles)

Ancient BC up to 100 AD: Palace of Illusions (Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni)

Free Space: Weed the People: The Future of Legal Marijuana in America (Bruce Barcott)

Dystopian: The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)

Mystery: Murder on the Orient Express (Agatha Christie)

Translated: Beauty and The Beast (Gabrielle Barbot de Villeneuve)

Outer Space: Children of Time (Adrian Tchaikovsky)

Finance: Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City (Mathew Desmond)

One Word Title: Stardust (Neil Gaiman)

Debut Author: The Bear and the Nightingale (Katherine Arden)

Over 500 Pages: Memory Man (David Baldacci)

Local Author: The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood (Ta-Nehisi Coates)

Female Adventure: With the Lapps in the High Mountains: A Woman Among the Sami 1907-1908 (Emilie Demant)

Classic: Black Tulip (Alexandre Dumas)

Selected by a Friend: The Gunslinger (Stephen King)

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 17

Stacia and Kathy, Thanks for the Irma reports. I was glad to hear Kathy has power again! Also glad for the kitty report as my dc's have been very interested in your cat evacuation!

VC, my dd has been very worried about the Hemingway cats so I had a report for her that they were safe yesterday. I think she really wants to go and visit them now! It's a place I visited when I was a child and remember loving (Key West, at 4 if I saw the Hemingway house it didn't make an impression!) so it may be time to go again, when rebuilding is well under way and they are open for tourism again.

Jenn, glad to hear that you enjoyed the latest book starring my all time favorite detective. I'm on a wait list for Y and am now feeling a bit impatient!

Jane, Thanks for the reminder to get back to reading my Boris Akunin series. I read the first one The Winter Queen for one of the gem challenges earlier this year and really enjoyed it. It's so easy to bury ourselves under stacks of books that the ones we really want to pursue get forgotten.

I finished my last Donna Andrews's this morning until I get my hands on the news one. Die like an Eagle gave me my E for Sapphire and made me chuckle quite a bit.

Penquin, Congratulations on your Bingo.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 12

Glad everyone came through the storm ok. Our power came back on around 3 am today, after being out since 2:30 pm Monday. No damage to our house or yard, just a lot of debris to clean up. A big tree fell four houses down from us and took out the wires - luckily didn't hit a house. I'm online right now just to put off cleaning out the fridge, really.

Read a little bit in W&P while sitting on the porch yesterday. Still way behind. Pierre is standing around, getting in the way as people die in battle.

• Like 15

I finished my Bingo card  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: . And Goodreads tells me that I have read 50 books so far this year. It is really 40-something once I pull out the super ones. Considering that I only read 16 books in 2016, I am more than content with my progress. I was able to give 19/25 either four or five stars, so I am also happy with my Bingo choices :) Rose, thank you for nudging me into the Book of the Week Thread :) It has really been a bright spot in my year thus far.

You are most welcome! It's great having you here. And what a great list of books! I hadn't looked at the Bingo card for quite awhile, but I see that I've read something for every square except Ancients. Not sure I'll get that one done, with the restrictions that it's not a play and not something I've read before. Most of this year was medieval/renaissance, and now we're all modern. 

I did finish a book yesterday, just because of Big Bingo - At the Mountains of Madness.  This was my first Lovecraft, and I can't say I was impressed. If you really dug Poe's Pym, you might like this, but I thought it was boring, and worse, full of all kinds of inside knowledge that they apparently gleaned from cave paintings. Totally implausible, which was worse, IMO,  than being dull.

We're having a huge thunder-and-lightning extravaganza here, which never happens, and it's raining! Which never happens in September.  The grape growers who are in the middle of harvest as we speak are bummed, but I think it's pretty cool. Hopefully the rain puts out any fires sparked by the lightning.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 14

Congrats Penguin!

Thanks Amy for the fluffy romance rec, A Rogue's Downfall by Mary Balogh. I'm in the low-energy phase of the cold running through our house and that was perfect for lying on the sofa and taking it easy (did I mention all kids are in school and dh is travelling?). I may check out more by her. I think I'll need more fluff if I'm to get to 52 books this year. Or 53 if I go prime.

I finished last week's W&P section and then read this week's in less than two days! This was a good one--Nicholas and Marya, Natasha and Prince Andrei, Helene getting her comeuppance, poor Pierre. And no war. But I think it's back to war in the next book so I haven't started it yet.

Glad you liked it! Mumto and I both read The Secret Pearl by Mary Balogh earlier in the year and enjoyed it. (If I remember correctly ... which sometimes I don't ... hopefully I'm not putting words in her mouth!) Mothersweets - did you read it also?

• Like 12

Kareni - I couldn't get the link for epic fantasies to work. I appreciate the bookish links you provide. Thank you.

You are quite welcome, Nan.  Here is the link again.  I hope it works ~  https://theportalist.com/epic-fantasy-book-series-that-deserve-to-be-discovered?sailthru_id=594d6b4cd9cb94ea078b5258&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20Portalist%20091217&utm_term=The%20Alt

I finished my Bingo card  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: ...

Congratulations, Penguin!

Glad you liked it! Mumto and I both read The Secret Pearl by Mary Balogh earlier in the year and enjoyed it. (If I remember correctly ... which sometimes I don't ... hopefully I'm not putting words in her mouth!) Mothersweets - did you read it also?

I'm another who has read and enjoyed The Secret Pearl; it's among my favorite books by Mary Balogh.

A one day only classic that is currently free for Kindle readers; I've posted this previously ~

Maxims and Reflections by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 

"Thoughts and ideas from the versatile and brilliant German writer and statesman.

The German author of Faust takes a detour from his usual literary endeavors and offers snippets of his musings on life, literature, science, nature, politics, and the human condition. Essential for fans of GoetheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s works, it provides a unique insight into the mind of the last true Renaissance man."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Finished Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan and started Galileo's Middle Finger by Alice Dreger. The second one is not at all what I thought it would be but with only one chapter finished, it's interesting so far. I had grabbed both from the library display shelf, not really knowing what I was getting into with them. As usual.  :laugh: 

Done.  And another will be on its way to Ellesmere.

I was so excited, I PM'd an incomplete address. Must run in the family because on the same day I asked my mom to send me the address of someone she knows and she did the same mistake.

Thank you, Jane, for helping me out!

• Like 12

Congrats Penguin!

Hmmm..it sounds familiar but I just looked it up and apparently I bought it back in 2010 but I can't find it on my kindle and I never entered it in my Goodreads list. ?? Sounds like a good one!

• Like 12

Congrats Penguin!

Slightly Dangerous is my favorite Balogh book, but The Secret Pearl is a close second.

• Like 11

Congrats to Penguin!

Referring back to one of yesterday's conversation topics, I live in Piggly Wiggly country although I don't shop there myself.  My favorite Piggly Wiggly billboard of all time dates back to the "Got Milk?" campaign.  The signature pig with butcher's hat was holding a large bundle of greens.  The caption read "Got collards?"  If you are unfamiliar with the pig...

https://www.pigglywiggly.com/

Of course you may find their merchandise to be irresistible.

https://www.pigglywiggly.com/merchandise

• Like 12

I finished Skinny Dip this morning. It was thoroughly entertaining.

I also realized that I completed another Bingo row:

Nebula Award Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Binti Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Nnedi Okorafor
"Cake" in the title Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rabbit Cake Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Annie Hartnett
A sword fight might break out. En garde! Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Three Musketeers Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Alexandre Dumas
Set in Antarctica Ă¢â‚¬â€œ At the Mountains of Madness Ă¢â‚¬â€œ H. P. Lovecraft
Short story collection- Stories of Your Life and Others Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ted Chiang

• Like 13

Slightly Dangerous is my favorite Balogh book, but The Secret Pearl is a close second.

They are both really good! :)

Congrats to Penguin!

Referring back to one of yesterday's conversation topics, I live in Piggly Wiggly country although I don't shop there myself.  My favorite Piggly Wiggly billboard of all time dates back to the "Got Milk?" campaign.  The signature pig with butcher's hat was holding a large bundle of greens.  The caption read "Got collards?"  If you are unfamiliar with the pig...

https://www.pigglywiggly.com/

Of course you may find their merchandise to be irresistible.

https://www.pigglywiggly.com/merchandise

We visit near a Pig most years. We do shop there, of course it is once a year. DS buys a T-shirt every time we go. :lol: I have fond memories of loving the dancing pig sign. I can't find it online. Probably from the 70's, the pig moved across the top.

I just finished listening to Schwab's A Gathering of Magic. So good. It's funny two weeks ago I was desperately hunting for books to listen to in order to finish my quilts now I am sort of stuck quilting because my audio book supply is great. Louise Penny is up next. I have 6 days to listen to it and the hold list is long for the other copies.

• Like 11

I'm 12 books behind. Hopefully I can read quickly over the next couple of weeks because October is not going to be great for this challenge!

52 in 2017

1. I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual // Luvvie AjayiĂ¢â‚¬Â¨

2. No-Drama Discipline // Daniel J. SiegelĂ¢â‚¬Â¨

3. Song of Solomon // Toni MorrisonĂ¢â‚¬Â¨

4. Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives // Gretchen Rubin

5. Men We Reaped // Jesmyn WardĂ¢â‚¬Â¨

6. Not Buying It: Stop Overspending and Start Raising Happier, Healthier, More Successful Kids // Brett Graff

7. Commonwealth // Ann Patchett

8. How Children Learn // John Holt

9. Born A Crime // Trevor Noah

10. The Underground Railroad // Colson Whitehead

11. The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving A F*ck // Sarah Knight

12. Upstream // Mary Oliver

13. The Handmaid's Tale // Margaret Atwood

14. Show Your Work // Austin Kleon

15. How to Raise A Wild Child // Scott D Sampson

16. A Course of Love // Alain de Botton

17. Bird by Bird // Anne Lamott

18. How to Be a Badass At Making Money // Jen Sincero

19. Long Divison // Kiese Laymon

20. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? And other questions you should have answers to while working in the White House. // Alyssa Mastromonaco

21. The Yamas and Nayamas // Deborah Adele

22. The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter // Sue Monk Kidd

23. Still Life // Louise Penny

24. Yes Please // Amy Poehler

25. Yoga Anatomy // Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews

26. You Are A Bad Ass // Jen Sincero

• Like 14

The Shame list yielded up another title: Franz Kafka's The Trial. To think I'd never read it before. It makes me think of both The Good Soldier Sveijk and Alice in Wonderland.

Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning. His landlady's cook, who always brought him his breakfast at eight o'clock, failed to appear on this occasion.

And it's just down the rabbit hole for Joseph K. from there. Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 11

For those who like to listen to audiobooks.  Free for a limited time ~

The Home Front: Life in America During World War II

Publisher's Summary

[Contains some explicit content] Free for a limited time. Narrated by award-winning actor Martin Sheen, The Home Front: Life in America During World War II takes listeners into the lives of Americans at home who supported the war effort and sustained the country during wartime. The war brought immediate, life-changing shifts; from the rationing of butter, to an explosion of war-related jobs, to mixed-signals about the role of women in society. Feel what living in the United States was like for everyday people during this disruptive and uncertain period of American history in the newest Audible Original series. Produced by Dan Gediman.

Listen to the entire series for free through mid-November.

©2017 Audible Originals LLC (P)2017 Audible Originals LLC

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I know everyone is probably sick of thinking about hurricanes, but if anyone wanted to send good thoughts towards cyclone Talim in the Pacific, I would be grateful. I have a kid on a ship trying to out run the storm with its winds of 160 some odd. They are running full throttle and should be OK as long as they can keep doing that. They need smooth seas and no engine failures. They will be in the thick of it tomorrow night, their time.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 14

Well, Jekyll & Hyde was a very quick read - only about 75 pages.  There are several other short stories at the end of the book, which I plan to finish before moving on.

In the car, we're reading The Mixed-Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler, which is fun.  Although it's clearly a kids' book, I keep thinking my mom would probably enjoy it.  :P

• Like 11

I know everyone is probably sick of thinking about hurricanes, but if anyone wanted to send good thoughts towards cyclone Talim in the Pacific, I would be grateful. I have a kid on a ship trying to out run the storm with its winds of 160 some odd. They are running full throttle and should be OK as long as they can keep doing that. They need smooth seas and no engine failures. They will be in the thick of it tomorrow night, their time.

Nan

I've been keeping an eye on Talim, too, as it is due to go directly over ds.  Hoping for smooth sailing for your ds, and that the old apartment complex my ds is in (which is due to be torn down and rebuilt next summer) withstands some strong wind!

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 10